• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemiLP

So sick of seeing Ana/ Widowmaker/ Hanzo trio in competitive play. I just pick Symmetra and kill myself over and over again when I see ANY of these three in my team. We're gonna lose anyways so might as well get it over with quickly.

How does your rank look after throwing every game with one of those 3 character on your team? :p

Nyx

Just had a 'hilarious' Hanzo player in my team, calling everybody 'fucking noobs' all the time and how he was 'the best sniper in the world'...

At one point somebody of our team left the game and he said 'why did that mofo leave the game'....

Well... :)

darklin0

Banned
When you start a win streak and Bliz keeps you down by throwing a team averaging 78 and your team averages 61. Feels bad man.

Been steadily climbing though, at rank 63 now. :D

Hyun Sai

So sick of seeing Ana/ Widowmaker/ Hanzo trio in competitive play. I just pick Symmetra and kill myself over and over again when I see ANY of these three in my team. We're gonna lose anyways so might as well get it over with quickly.

So because of one character you don't like you cripple the entire team ? I take any Hanzo player over you anytime.

Pathetic.

Sane_Man

People like what exactly?

Idiots who sulk when people pick characters they don't like. Particularly when those characters are viable with good players. You sound like the constant people I run into who are terrible at the game but blame everyone else for their own shittyness. "Omg I died again. Where the fuck is the healer/tank?"

Idiots who sulk when people pick characters they don't like. Particularly when those characters are viable with good players. You sound like the constant people I run into who are terrible at the game but blame everyone else for their own shittyness. "Omg I died again. Where the fuck is the healer/tank?"

Seems like you got me all figured out there. You a psych major? Lots of ad hominem being thrown around today. It must be harvest season. :)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Genji finally clicked with me and god damn is he an adrenaline rush to play.
The minute you get good with Genji is the moment you realize he's pretty much the only hero you want to play. He has huge game changer potential, he can hard carry, and his mobility is insane.

Genji for president.

Kinda stupid that being right in front of the payload doesn't count. The payload was like a foot away from the last point in OT and somehow the damn Roadhog literally hooks me through the payload. And then "Defeat" comes up even though I was still alive right by the payload. OT runs down so fast now that you have no time to get back even that little bit of space after the hook animation. Fuck that.

MaKTaiL

So.... I think my PS4 wants me to catch them all now:

PS_Messages_20160725_091418.jpg

The minute you get good with Genji is the moment you realize he's pretty much the only hero you want to play. He has huge game changer potential, he can hard carry, and his mobility is insane.

Genji for president.

I coincidentally decided to really, really try to learn how he works for the first time yesterday. I put myself into a skirmish 1v1 with some various AI characters and grinded out some time figuring out the mechanics of his movement, shurikens, tried to get a feel for his dash, etc. Then I hopped into some games. I found myself actually doing really well on KOTH, but not so good on other maps, and eventually I realized just how much of it came down to map knowledge. But not the usual map knowledge - Genji's mobility lets him traverse paths other characters can't, and you really need to understand the maps in full 3D to really be able to play him right. So on KOTH, when everybody is focused on the exact same point and it isn't moving through the map, getting the routing down right isn't so hard. On Payload or CP, the routes are constantly changing and I kept getting crossed up.

Oh, and I stubbornly kept trying even when they switched to Winston. That was probably a mistake. :lol

I wish I was young and virile enough to handle playing Genji. Or perhaps he is like Widow/Hanzo in that I need to be extraordinarily inebriated to play them well. Or maybe that's most characters; I just become a god after half a bottle of cabernet sauvignon.

I still like dicking around with him in QP though because he is super ninja naruto man baka uguu~

Honestly, what did you expect people's reactions to be when you came into this thread with that bullshit?

People looking for approval of their defeatist scrub mindset

Not that it matters but fyi I barely play any of those characters

I expressed a pretty common sentiment regarding those characters not exclusive to this board. But of course a slight hyperbole with a tinge of salt on my part certainly warranted such vitriolic ad hominem.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have been going off as Attack Hanzo recently, it can be very powerful as long as you move proactively to support the team as they push forward. I have even influenced some lesser scrubs such as 'Vivi Oggi' to copy me although they try to avoid the accusation by picking Attack Widow instead.

I expressed a pretty common sentiment regarding those characters not exclusive to this board. But of course a slight hyperbole with a tinge of salt on my part certainly warranted such vitriolic ad hominem.
Dude, you came on here and literally said "I threw a game on purpose cause people are idiots" I'm not sure what you expected people's reactions to be. Plus, MMR is based on your skill, so if MMR is putting you with idiots, then you're at the same skill level as them, sooo. People need to get it out of their mind that every Hanzo and every Widowmaker is shit. I've run into some amazing Hanzos that carried the enemy team and was the single biggest problem to deal with. And if you're throwing the game because of ONE sniper, you do realize you're screwing over 4 other players right?

Oh, he got banned so I guess this convo is over with :p

ViviOggi

I do know the struggle of carrying hopeless Hanzo stans though. Neogaf dot com username "godelsmetric" is a particularly troubling offender

I swear it's impossible for me to encounter a Genji whose deflect is on cooldown, if I bump into one half the time I just go in for some melee hits from the get go because the immediate flailing is inevitable.
Good Genji players are absolute buggers on console I tells ya.

The problem with Hanzo is that he's high variance, so the moments of glory you do get with him make some players forget the multitude of games where he did jack shit.

I swear it's impossible for me to encounter a Genji whose deflect is on cooldown, if I bump into one half the time I just go in for some melee hits from the get go because the immediate flailing is inevitable.
Good Genji players are absolute buggers on console I tells ya.
Yesterday there was a mccree that had his high noon almost Everytime we pushed in volskaya. Like who is was he shooting at lol

The problem with Hanzo is that he's high variance, so the moments of glory you do get with him make some players forget the multitude of games where he did jack shit.

Funny that for all the hate that he gets, I still see considerably more competent Hanzos than Anas/Widows. Give me Hanzo over those two almost every time. And even if he sucks his Ult can be useful for hiding other Ults or clearing out enemies. Will probably get a couple lucky scatter arrow kills too at least.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Funny that for all the hate that he gets, I still see considerably more competent Hanzos than Anas/Widows. Give me Hanzo over those two almost every time. And even if he sucks his Ult can be useful for hiding other Ults or clearing out enemies. Will probably get a couple lucky scatter arrow kills too at least.

There's really nothing lucky about scatter arrow kills.

Aim at their feet, dead. That's 450 damage if it all hits.

3/10 placement matches done. My first game was on dorado and was a really good match where both sides seemed equally matched and we managed to win by holding them from the final point while clearing all of them ourselves.

The other two were complete shitshow stomps where we had no coordination. Stayed as either lucio or mercy throughout one match but whenever i was healing people would just run off and leave me undefended so we were constantly getting taken out and barely held the point.

My last match the enemy just had rein shielding a torb turret as well as a bastion hanging around. Every time i would try making a push i would literally just stand there hitting the group up message while only one or two people followed me and we didnt stand a chance.

Finally understand why people get so damn salt about solo ranked.

m4st4

Started this season as rank 60, realized my actual rank is between 55-58, but today? Oh my god what is going on... 9 defeats in a row, one win, one more defeat. I am now rank 48 and feel like shit because the quality of the players has dropped significantly and I am playing with teammates, five of them, wandering around payload instead of pushing it?! How on earth is that possible if you're level 50+? I am 75 and consider myself a solid OW player, not the worst, not the best. Competitive play is ruining me to be honest, ever since it's inception, and I don't feel like going back to QP because stacking up heroes and playing randomly doesn't seem appealing as before. And I love this game, I really do. What a mix of emotions right now, I should probably take a break, go back to SFV for Juri. *Solo player

This article from David Sirlin about the Elo system in Overwatch is really interesting.

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/overwatchs-ranking-point-system

His comments about escaping "Elo Hell" are really interesting. In short, if you want to escape Elo Hell, play Reinhardt or Lucio. :lol

Here's the real truth about this Elo hell stuff I think. The example Reaper situation above really is good play, it really is something that should help the team win...if you were a higher rank. The higher rank all the players involved, the more easily your teammates can convert advantage you provide into a win. If your teammates are so bad that they can't convert the advantage you gave into a win, then you should do some completely different things. Yeah it sucks that the thing you did SHOULD help, but in truth, it didn't. Work with what you have. Work with your generally uncoordinated or lower-skilled teammates and provide them whatever they actually DO need to win.

In Overwatch, I think what players generally need in these situations is "babysitting." What I mean is, it's probably more important to have few deaths and to generally be on the payload than it is to achieve impressive stats that "in theory" allow your teammates to be on the payload. You have to carry them, so you'll have to refrain from strategies that, at higher rank, are very good, so that you can provide for the most basic needs of your team. You don't have to do that in the exact way I said, but the point is if you play in the (sometimes pathetic) way that your team needs, you can contribute more to your team's win rate than if you play in an incredibly impressive way that they are unable to capitalize on, because they suck. Yeah that's frustrating, but THAT is the way out of Elo hell. Having the system give you a ranking boost for strategies that aren't resulting in a positive win rate isn't a good solution.

EDIT: Actually, with some more thought, new D.va is actually a really good carry if you think you're way better than your rank. You're really survivable, you can help teammates break down Bastion, and you can singlehandedly break open static defenses and create real, powerful opportunities to capture.

m4st4

Wait, we'll get season rewards based on our season high rank? Well, there's that at least! Highly doubt I'll ever hit 61 in solo.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I coincidentally decided to really, really try to learn how he works for the first time yesterday. I put myself into a skirmish 1v1 with some various AI characters and grinded out some time figuring out the mechanics of his movement, shurikens, tried to get a feel for his dash, etc. Then I hopped into some games. I found myself actually doing really well on KOTH, but not so good on other maps, and eventually I realized just how much of it came down to map knowledge. But not the usual map knowledge - Genji's mobility lets him traverse paths other characters can't, and you really need to understand the maps in full 3D to really be able to play him right. So on KOTH, when everybody is focused on the exact same point and it isn't moving through the map, getting the routing down right isn't so hard. On Payload or CP, the routes are constantly changing and I kept getting crossed up.

Oh, and I stubbornly kept trying even when they switched to Winston. That was probably a mistake. :lol
Yeah, getting good on payload maps is what counts. Being good with Genji is pulling off his burst combos consistently, both close and long range versions, using reflect properly, and knowing when to call it a day and hightail it out of a dangerous situation. People forget to look up sometimes, so when in trouble, just run up a wall in place, then double jump far away, at least to stall for your cooldowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom