• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

I think I'm done with the game. I can't keep playing with fucking randoms anymore. It's driving me absolutely fucking insane. Why can nobody fucking do or listen to ANYTHING and try to play as a team? Why is there NO coordination? What the fuck is wrong with people playing this game?

I try to stay positive but holy shit. I think I'm uninstalling it and calling it a fucking good run. Fuck this.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think I'm done with the game. I can't keep playing with fucking randoms anymore. It's driving me absolutely fucking insane. Why can nobody fucking do or listen to ANYTHING and try to play as a team? Why is there NO coordination? What the fuck is wrong with people playing this game?

I try to stay positive but holy shit. I think I'm uninstalling it and calling it a fucking good run. Fuck this.

ELO Hell doesn't exist in OW though

Give it a few days off and go back to QP for practice.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Timescams for 5s don't really solve issues.They'll still outplay you later.

I know. The most effective way, and how you should do it really, is to make it a 2-3 v 6 fight. An especially good strat now that there are less pharahs to just fly over it.

finalflame

ELO Hell doesn't exist in OW though

Give it a few days off and go back to QP for practice.

I'm not sure if what exists in OW can be considered ELO Hell or not, but what it does have is a bunch of teammates in solo queue who are unwilling to communicate with each other and play as a team, and that is PARAMOUNT to succeeding in the game. I am a big proponent of "learn to carry" but it REALLY is not possible to the same extent in OW as I think it is in MOBAs.

What do you do when you ask your team over voice chat and text chat if we can group up and push together, but everyone is unresponsive and just runs around like fucking morons feeding the enemy team's ults, so that we subsequently just keep getting wiped and can't do shit? This isn't even about picking retarded comps, I don't even try to touch on that anymore, it's about people putting in ZERO effort to play a team game as a TEAM. There's only so much you can do by yourself in this game. And it's not enough to "carry" a team full of morons who aren't even coordinated enough to respond to any attempts for working as a team, much less actually do it.

Hah, halfway through this video all I could think is "this has to be console".

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not sure if what exists in OW can be considered ELO Hell or not, but what it does have is a bunch of teammates in solo queue who are unwilling to communicate with each other and play as a team, and that is PARAMOUNT to succeeding in the game. I am a big proponent of "learn to carry" but it REALLY is not possible to the same extent in OW as I think it is in MOBAs.

What do you do when you ask your team over voice chat and text chat if we can group up and push together, but everyone is unresponsive and just runs around like fucking morons feeding the enemy team's ults, so that we subsequently just keep getting wiped and can't do shit? This isn't even about picking retarded comps, I don't even try to touch on that anymore, it's about people putting in ZERO effort to play a team game as a TEAM. There's only so much you can do by yourself in this game. And it's not enough to "carry" a team full of morons who aren't even coordinated enough to respond to any attempts for working as a team, much less actually do it.

Well, the thing to take away from 'learn to carry' is 'learn to carry your rank'

If you are outplaying your skill level the game will pretty much force you into higher ranks. In the 50s my friends and I all got a rank a win and 1/5th a rank down a loss. We just started getting this again now that we're back to our old group of pure joy, and it basically forces you into the higher ranks. Even if you go 0-8, 2 wins will offset that with this in mind. Going 6-1? First 3 matches with our unranked it wasn't sure, a third of a rank each time. After that? A rank for matches 4 5 and 6, taking me all the way from 0% of 65 to 95% of 68. One loss took me down to ~2/3rds of 68.
It's set for you to succeed if you're able to.

Alternatively, if you're in 60s and really only playing at the level of a 50, expect to be losing rank hard and get frustrated. There's a reason the vast majority are between 45 and 55.

So keep that in mind- awful teammates or not, you can improve to get to a point where teammates aren't awful! By the mid 60s people might make awful choices like torb on offense or control, but they're probably a damn good torb- how else would they have gotten there?

edit: yes jumping is OP on console because people can't stop shooting once they're off target, it really isn't a big issue if you adapt to this.

edit edit: get a group going, solo isn't fun.

ekim

Well, the thing to take away from 'learn to carry' is 'learn to carry your rank'

If you are outplaying your skill level the game will pretty much force you into higher ranks. In the 50s my friends and I all got a rank a win and 1/5th a rank down a loss. We just started getting this again now that we're back to our old group of pure joy, and it basically forces you into the higher ranks. Even if you go 0-8, 2 wins will offset that with this in mind. Going 6-1? First 3 matches with our unranked it wasn't sure, a third of a rank each time. After that? A rank for matches 4 5 and 6, taking me all the way from 0% of 65 to 95% of 68. One loss took me down to ~2/3rds of 68.
It's set for you to succeed if you're able to.

Alternatively, if you're in 60s and really only playing at the level of a 50, expect to be losing rank hard and get frustrated. There's a reason the vast majority are between 45 and 55.

So keep that in mind- awful teammates or not, you can improve to get to a point where teammates aren't awful! By the mid 60s people might make awful choices like torb on offense or control, but they're probably a damn good torb- how else would they have gotten there?

edit: yes jumping is OP on console because people can't stop shooting once they're off target, it really isn't a big issue if you adapt to this.

edit edit: get a group going, solo isn't fun.

So the game indirectly takes your individual skill into account for ranked mode? Is there some official confirmation for this?

Soulflarz

Banned
So the game indirectly takes your individual skill into account for ranked mode? Is there some official confirmation for this?

No but I can confirm it without a doubt*

I did all my placement matches with friends (like all 10 in one sitting together) and we ended up from 40s to high 50s and we only went 6-4. One friend came a match late and ended 7-3 and was still 40s.
We also make sure to call out how much of a rank we went up/down to compare who did better in the match, and the numbers are drastically different.

*my only doubt being someone at blizzard is high and just said wing it, my counterpoint to this being that our friends who aren't as good at the game were also ranked much lower than the better half of our group, so...

ekim

No but I can confirm it without a doubt*

I did all my placement matches with friends (like all 10 in one sitting together) and we ended up from 40s to high 50s and we only went 6-4. One friend came a match late and ended 7-3 and was still 40s.
We also make sure to call out how much of a rank we went up/down to compare who did better in the match, and the numbers are drastically different.

*my only doubt being someone at blizzard is high and just said wing it, my counterpoint to this being that our friends who aren't as good at the game were also ranked much lower than the better half of our group, so...

So I deserve my rank 46 :(
Would explain why a friend was able to get up from 45 to now 60 again mostly in solo queue without a problem after he dropped from there.

Soulflarz

Banned
So I deserve my rank 46 :(
Would explain why a friend was able to get up from 45 to now 60 again mostly in solo queue without a problem after he dropped from there.

Hey, it was just 10 matches, don't fret! The vast majority of players are under 55, so it's no big deal~
*Also, if he ended 45, he probably played just as well as you at the time.
You can improve over time. Or your rank might have misplaced you. I mean, I've gone up 11 since my placement.
It's actually not a crazy amount of work to rework your playstyle for better results in overwatch, you just need to know where to look. This threads a good starting place for many characters, ask away! Maybe try a different character. I know most of them aren't for me.

I say this thread because I can only give you the full rundown on a few characters

Soulflarz

Banned
I think it takes it into account but win/loss streaks effect the rank gains a lot more.

I want to agree with that, except the guy who had the extra w/l and was on the same streak as us minus our loss ended up notably below most of us.

I just want to know what stat they're looking for. Medals? Kills? How well we did vs projections of how well we would individually do? How well we used our character compared to others in similar situations? If we properly used them as we were supposed to? I have no idea. I just know something we do in matches changes our rank. My groups already deconfirmed that the game has a form of rubberbanding for groups- a mid 60 can get more of a rank up than the 50 in a group if they play better.
But what...defines 'bette'r or whatever sets it off to the rank system?
Do they just run our ranks through an rng system?
no clue :x

for all I know it's a "you're in the 1% for reapers. 1% generally is in <insert ranks> and your team is below that, get on up there!", except my other friend is only 10th percentile and is still getting crazy ranks in our groups.
I'm at a loss but I have no clue why it works like it does.

Antiwhippy

Like I said, it does take individual skill (I think the factor they look into is your performances vs other people using the same character on the same map) into factor, but I definitely did not get significant gains, and I mean whole rank significant, until I got a streak going. Had a moment where I was basically trading wins and losses that basically left me at the same place with minor increments left or right.

Ramirez

The Ana experiment continues.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/5252ae72-521d-4675-a67d-c2f29f3b614e

My son constantly tanks whatever rank I get on Xbox when I play occasionally, so I'm only playing mid 50s/low 60s here and she was noticeably more useful. Still feel like any good team would render her completely useless compared to the other 3 healers.

Still fuckin' mindboggling to me how there's a group in that game I linked and they let me try and solo heal it as Ana instead of helping out. I had to go Zen in the 4th round to be able to win.

Soulflarz

Banned
Like I said, it does take individual skill (I think the factor they look into is your performances vs other people using the same character on the same map) into factor, but I definitely did not get significant gains, and I mean whole rank significant, until I got a streak going. Had a moment where I was basically trading wins and losses that basically left me at the same place with minor increments left or right.

Hmm
Streak could be the thing. I mean, that's just called 'mu' and 'sigma', except they'd be weighting it highly on rank ups or rank downs, not an a fluid version.

If you know how trueskill works, your theory would make a lot of sense. It would also explain why one loss offhand doesn't ruin your crazy rank up streak
TL;DR version of trueskill- the more you win, the more you rank up/down per match, the more you lose, the less. Think of this as a weighted number- it might reach a very high place, but all this means is *every* win or loss will rank you up a ton or derank you a lot. To offset this, they would have to have these as two different numbers- if you lose a ton, you lose even more a match, if you win a ton, you win a lot a match, and basically it would be weighted on a +/- scale based on how much you're winning or losing, as in, +10 in your streak would rank you up a ton.

If...that makes sense, I think that's the best way to use an already existing rank system to explain your theory.

I just don't fully agree with it, since I've been 57 and antitrop was 57 and we played together awhile and I got nearly a whole rank one match when he had a quarter.

Ramirez

Does anyone know if the animated spray for cracking top 500 is only rewarded to the final top 500, or if you cracked it at any point during the season?

Antiwhippy

The Ana experiment continues.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/5252ae72-521d-4675-a67d-c2f29f3b614e

My son constantly tanks whatever rank I get on Xbox when I play occasionally, so I'm only playing mid 50s/low 60s here and she was noticeably more useful. Still feel like any good team would render her completely useless compared to the other 3 healers.

Still fuckin' mindboggling to me how there's a group in that game I linked and they let me try and solo heal it as Ana instead of helping out. I had to go Zen in the 4th round to be able to win.

Eh I wouldn't use zen to solo heal either.

Had a really good example of this recently. Had a ranked match going, saw someone go mercy so I went zen. Of course, they switched off immediately. Thought might as well try it out, which went badly. Was really tempted to rail at my team for not helping support my flank better, but then recognised that I'm not really helping my team much either by being stubborn about it. Went lucio, won the game.

I think you really need a team to look out for a zen to make him work solo heal, but otherwise ehhhhhhh.

Like it's all good to say people don't know how to play to team composition but sometimes you have to recognise that in yourself too.

Also of course sometimes it doesn't matter and you win with attack torb and hanzo with no healer.

Ramirez

Eh I wouldn't use zen to solo heal either.

Had a really good example of this recently. Had a ranked match going, saw someone go mercy so I went zen. Of course, they switched off immediately. Thought might as well try it out, which went badly. Was really tempted to rail at my team for not helping support my flank better, but then recognised that I'm not really helping my team much either by being stubborn about it. Went lucio, won the game.

I think you really need a team to look out for a zen to make him work solo heal, but otherwise ehhhhhhh.

This is all relative to your opposition. We almost won with Ana, I knew I could do it with Zen, lol.

well shit I'm 68 LOOKS LIKE IM GOING FOR THIS

72 is 800-ish if Overbuff is to be believed. I was 84th when I was at 76, knew I shoulda retired for the season. I've still only seen 2 level 80s in game, and they were 80 & 81 respectively.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
When I get stuck as a fill on QP matches and see two Widowmakers on my team I've gotten into the habit of also taking Widowmaker. Those two obviously don't care about winning, so fuck it, I might as well get some target practice in.

Mendrox

Git gud. It's not always the others - it's also you, yourself. If you get too many fucked up matches then take a break. Idiots are everywhere, but Overwatch is not LoL in that regard (well on EU servers).

Soulflarz

Banned
72 is 800-ish if Overbuff is to be believed. I was 84th when I was at 76, knew I shoulda retired for the season. I've still only seen 2 level 80s in game, and they were 80 & 81 respectively.

Got it, so 73 or 74

I might be able to force my way up with my team. My friend just got back and he's not ranked yet, we went 6-1, went from 0% of 65 to 68 and a half.
Noted, am probably a 8 or 9 winstreak away

That's hell, but I think I might be able to push on.

finalflame

Git gud. It's not always the others - it's also you, yourself. If you get too many fucked up matches then take a break. Idiots are everywhere, but Overwatch is not LoL in that regard (well on EU servers).

It's pretty easy to identify when I'm getting carried, and it's pretty easy to identify when nobody is being responsive to actually playing as a team. The game isn't team deathmatch and hopefully shit works and you win. The game should be people trying to actually work together towards the objective, not wandering off like retards.

I'm not criticizing each person's individual performance, I'm saying you really don't get much of anywhere in this game unless people play as a fucking team.

LiK

I like playing as Ana now. She's fun. Still need to learn to use her sleep dart more effectively. Got some charging and guys doing Ults with it which was hilarious.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's pretty easy to identify when I'm getting carried, and it's pretty easy to identify when nobody is being responsive to actually playing as a team. The game isn't team deathmatch and hopefully shit works and you win. The game should be people trying to actually work together towards the objective, not wandering off like retards.

I'm not criticizing each person's individual performance, I'm saying you really don't get much of anywhere in this game unless people play as a fucking team.

It's funny, Blizzard keeps saying they don't like capture the flag, yet it's a mode that would attract a lot of these people in swarms. It's straightforward, people know how the mode works, and it doesn't require anywhere near the same level of teamwork to be fun (though, obviously it does help).

I've got to wonder how many people feel the same as you and will walk away from the game by autumn, then just get distracted by Battlefield, Titanfall 2, CoD, FF15, Dishonored 2, and all the other stuff that is coming out then to the detriment of OW. If Blizzard doesn't watch it, a lot of the game's community will just poke their head in for content updates and that's about it.

By the way, how are those loot boxes doing for their bottom line? People seemed vaguely interested in them when they first came out, but after everyone realized that they mostly tend to drop crappy sprays that no one cares about, we don't really hear about them much anymore. Are people buying them still or not really? Those things were supposed to help finance future content from what many people were saying. If people aren't plunking down cash for them anymore, I wonder what Blizzard will do for that long-term revenue stream on OW since they aren't planning to charge for new maps, game modes, heroes, etc.

Cade

some guys yelled at me in quickplay for playing attack symmetra

IN QUICKPLAY

and i had gold objective time and got the only card on our team.

and i'm at ~157 so these are all >100 people, basically. it ain't my fault our five offense characters didn't get it past the first checkpoint

Ramirez

It's funny, Blizzard keeps saying they don't like capture the flag, yet it's a mode that would attract a lot of these people in swarms. It's straightforward, people know how the mode works, and it doesn't require anywhere near the same level of teamwork to be fun (though, obviously it does help).

I've got to wonder how many people feel the same as you and will walk away from the game by autumn, then just get distracted by Battlefield, Titanfall 2, CoD, FF15, Dishonored 2, and all the other stuff that is coming out then to the detriment of OW. If Blizzard doesn't watch it, a lot of the game's community will just poke their head in for content updates and that's about it.

By the way, how are those loot boxes doing for their bottom line? People seemed vaguely interested in them when they first came out, but after everyone realized that they mostly tend to drop crappy sprays that no one cares about, we don't really hear about them much anymore. Are people buying them still or not really? Those things were supposed to help finance future content from what many people were saying. If people aren't plunking down cash for them anymore, I wonder what Blizzard will do for that long-term revenue stream on OW since they aren't planning to charge for new maps, game modes, heroes, etc.

All they have to do is drop a new set of skins ever so often, and people will buy them in droves I'm sure. I'm hopeful they do holiday themed skins starting in the fall. I'll never buy a box, I'm thankful to the people who do though. ;P

Golden weapons are obviously the tip of the iceberg for what they'll be doing with that menu too, I'm sure.

ISOM

some guys yelled at me in quickplay for playing attack symmetra

IN QUICKPLAY

and i had gold objective time and got the only card on our team.

and i'm at ~157 so these are all >100 people, basically. it ain't my fault our five offense characters didn't get it past the first checkpoint

I've seen attack Symmetra on King's Row on both QP and Ranked. Needless to say it is a surprisingly effective strategy. Loss the QP but won the Ranked match though.

ekim

Hey, it was just 10 matches, don't fret! The vast majority of players are under 55, so it's no big deal~
*Also, if he ended 45, he probably played just as well as you at the time.
You can improve over time. Or your rank might have misplaced you. I mean, I've gone up 11 since my placement.
It's actually not a crazy amount of work to rework your playstyle for better results in overwatch, you just need to know where to look. This threads a good starting place for many characters, ask away! Maybe try a different character. I know most of them aren't for me.

I say this thread because I can only give you the full rundown on a few characters

Well I often end up with enough medals to be at least better than half of my team. I also can now play a lot of different chars and I switch as needed and know their objectives and roles. It's just that I can't play with randoms in the 40s because they still pick chars like it's QM when the game launched (Like Bastion, 2 Snipers, Reinhardt and No Support on attack etc...).

The only chars I still need to learn are:
- Mei (I have no idea where and how to set walls/should I flank or be more offensive with my primary?/I also forget about the iceblock heal)
- Reinhardt (I tend to play too defensive with him and I also don't really know how to move around with him)
- Widowmaker (I don't want to play her. I'm better with Hanzo)
- Bastion (He seems useless in the mobile configuration and just standing around and waiting for fodder is boring)
- McGree (I can pick him and take down Pharahs, but for the rest I haven't really tried him. Soldier is always a better hitscan char for me)
- Reaper (I die too fast because I constantly forget about my ghosting ability)

Of those, I only want to really learn Mei, Rein and Reaper.

I hovered around in the 50s for most of the season then last week I plunged back to 45 and good god, the quality of players has dropped noticeably. It feels impossible to climb back up without a group, the randoms are all over the place.

Azoor

Okay so I just joined a game and for the first time I was a part in a D.va stack team and I have to admit that I had a lot of fun.

ekim

I hovered around in the 50s for most of the season then last week I plunged back to 45 and good god, the quality of players has dropped noticeably. It feels impossible to climb back up without a group, the randoms are all over the place.

Basically this, yeah. Especially the randoms that refuse to switch even though everybody notices they are pretty much useless. Even if I play within a group of 4, a bad random player can make winning become impossible.

Mendrox

But this is just not true. You can carry in this game and often times it's good too have people go forward a bit more and defend the front so that the payload and go to the checkpoint easily. American servers? I don't have these problems on EU servers at all and just yesterday I carried games like a king, because some people wanted to try Ana.

ISOM

But this is just not true. You can carry in this game and often times it's good too have people go forward a bit more and defend the front so that the payload and go to the checkpoint easily. American servers? I don't have these problems on EU servers at all and just yesterday I carried games like a king, because some people wanted to try Ana.

There are some games you can carry and some games where you can't. Had a game with Mccree where I was 45 Elims, 27K damage and couldn't get the win and another match was like 35 elims with Pharah and felt like I carried. t's not as regular as in other FPS because teammates are more important in Overwatch.

RemiLP

But its the same for the other team.

So sick of seeing Ana/ Widowmaker/ Hanzo trio in competitive play. I just pick Symmetra and kill myself over and over again when I see ANY of these three in my team. We're gonna lose anyways so might as well get it over with quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom