• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikos

So I have about 15 hours played and I'm level 24. Does this seem normal? I get at least a couple of medals per game and feel like I do well, but mostly play the same character, Soldier.

I know somebody who is the same level with only five hours played. From what I understand, most of that time was vs bots.

Rad-

Got 3 gold drops in 3 level ups. Feels lucky man. Good ones too. The best genji one, Bedouin, the one that Seagull uses. Then Pharah Raptorion. And don't remember the third atm but it was alright as well.

Edit: Oh yeah the last one was Bloodhardt for Reinhardt.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I have about 15 hours played and I'm level 24. Does this seem normal? I get at least a couple of medals per game and feel like I do well, but mostly play the same character, Soldier.

I know somebody who is the same level with only five hours played. From what I understand, most of that time was vs bots.

Depend...

Few things to note, you get more XP by doing Quick Play and Competitive than vs Bots and Brawl(as far as I know).

You get 20% more XP by playing in a group (2 or more)

lvl 24 in 5 hours seems a bit fast to be honest, especially if he's only playing against bots.

Depend...

Few things to note, you get more XP by doing Quick Play and Competitive than vs Bots and Brawl(as far as I know).

You get 20% more XP by playing in a group (2 or more)

lvl 24 in 5 hours seems a bit fast to be honest, especially if he's only playing against bots.

Level 25 in 15 hours is about right.

It takes a little less than an hour to get a level thats 23+, so it stands to reason it takes considerably less time for that first 20.

Owzers

When you are defending Route 66 and your teammates choose Genji, Genji, Ana, Torb ( who later switched to Hanzo after we lost the first battle), and Pharah.

What am i supposed to pick to fit in with that? Seems pointless.

Svartnatt

Will they ever allow PC users to save highlights? Can't be that hard to export them as a video file.

I REALLY wish I could've saved this one:

Had a match on King's Row, we pushed the payload to within a few meters of point B when a Junkrat tire wipes out our team and saves them. They proceed to double stack Bastion with a Reinhardt protecting one of them at all times, our team can't get close to them, and they start pushing the payload back, and time's running out.

I'm playing Pharah, and respawn with my ult fully charged, and manage to avoid detection by taking side passages all the way to Point B, while the enemy team (minus the two Bastions) engages my whole team at our spawn. I sneak around the back, see the two Bastions waiting for anyone to round the corner, not watching their backs. I drop down behind them, activate my ult and kill both of them.

I walk the payload the last 10 meters all by my lonesome self and win us the game. I see "WTF?", "OMG!" and other incredulous remarks pop up on the chat and I respond with a simple "You're welcome."

So satisfying killing those two Bastions who thought they had the game all wrapped up.

Prelude.

Can Tracer make nano boost last longer using recall?
Probably not, but I didn't test it. Considering that Zen's harmony orbs don't get removed (unlike discord orbs) she should keep that as well since it's a buff, but I doubt it gets prolonged either.

When you are defending Route 66 and your teammates choose Genji, Genji, Ana, Torb ( who later switched to Hanzo after we lost the first battle), and Pharah.

What am i supposed to pick to fit in with that? Seems pointless.
Just pick a disruptive tank like D.Va, keep pushing them away aggressively and hope for the best. If you're defending before the first corner and forcing them into the choke point/narrow caves (it literally never happens because people are special and would rather get closer to the enemy spawn than defending a choke point) you might be able to hold it.

KillGore

Console:

Seriously, Pharah is officially the new Torbjorn then? No, she's even worse. It may be easy to kill a Pharah on PC since the mouse is very accurate but how the fuck do you kill a Pharah on consoles? Even if I use a soldier, McCree, Widowmaker, she still swings side by side to the point that it feels impossible to kill her. Her rockets are so strong too, even if they don't hit you. Unfortunately, now every match has a Pharah player. Most of the characters in the game are worthless against her too.

Also, is it me or has Quickplay gone to shit? Tried it yesterday after a few weeks of playing only competitive. I remember there being hero stacking but not to this extent. Played like 6 matches and all of them involved 5 hero stackings and 1 healer (They used 5 DVAs, 5 Winstons, 5 reapers, etc). Different people too.

Okay now I'm used to his slight changes I'm loving new and improved Zenyatta (who I was loving anyway back in the death by breeze days), how safe do we feel he is from the nerfing stick right now? because I feel like he's just right at them moment but some folks whisper of him being a bit too powerful.

^Pharah on consoles is a tricky one, I'm not sure how you'd change her there seeing as its entirely an accuracy thing and I'm not sure how damaging something like slowing her float/hover movement slightly would be to her.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay now I'm used to his slight changes I'm loving new and improved Zenyatta (who I was loving anyway back in the death by breeze days), how safe do we feel he is from the nerfing stick right now? because I feel like he's just right at them moment but some folks whisper of him being a bit too powerful.

Blizzard themselves joked about him being nerfed at the buff time iirc.

So "somewhat", it probably depends if hes viable. Alternatively, it depends on if anyone in the meta will use Ana or Mercy, since they aren't being touched at all.

Owzers

Is there a trick to aiming with Zennyata? My orbs keep going right past everyone when i think some should be hitting. Is it Mccree that doesn't lead people with shots and others do?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Will they ever allow PC users to save highlights? Can't be that hard to export them as a video file.

I REALLY wish I could've saved this one:

You can download a free capture video application(like Fraps) until Blizzard do that, if they ever do that.

ekim

I have the feeling now that I tried mcgree more often and he is supposed to be hitscan, that something is wrong on my end. I'm more than sure I hit the mouse to shoot and have someone in my aim but I don't hit them. Only if I calculate their movement into my aim I hit them. I tried it with Gsync on so I hit my refresh rate at 144Hz and at 144FPS and I tried to disable it to get about 180FPS. My ping is at 20ms and should be good. I don't have any input lag. Should I try it with the overdrive on my monitor?

Rad-

Console:

Seriously, Pharah is officially the new Torbjorn then? No, she's even worse. It may be easy to kill a Pharah on PC since the mouse is very accurate but how the fuck do you kill a Pharah on consoles? Even if I use a soldier, McCree, Widowmaker, she still swings side by side to the point that it feels impossible to kill her. Her rockets are so strong too, even if they don't hit you. Unfortunately, now every match has a Pharah player. Most of the characters in the game are worthless against her too.

I find it easy to hit her with McCree but hard with most other heroes.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm on PC.

I have a pretty consistent 60fps, but it will regularly drop to 59.9fps in such a way that there is a frequent stutter to the feel of the game.

Is there any particular setting I should be tweaking to fix this? My GPU and CPU usage are both under 100%

Veelk

Banned
I'm now convinced that people's problem with turrets are the fact that they never ever try to kill Torb.

Seriously, always kill Torb.

I mained D.Va, so there was never such a thing as an problematic torb for me when I played her. Unless he Molten Cored, but even that only lasted for one turn.

Stacked team of Torbs on the other hand...*shudders*

Kito

Back when everyone was bitching about pre-nerf Widow, I found and still find her to be the worst POS on PC. Pharah operates on a completely different plane to everyone. In a game where vertical sensitivity is lower by default, by the time you've aimed at Pharah you're dead with most heroes. An uncontested Pharah dominates 70% of games on the EU server. And I'm tired of switching to Zen to take care of that fucker.

Also, lol at the game's advice. "Move unpredictably", "she can't stay up forever". The splash damage is enough that no matter where I go I die, and as soon as Pharah lands she just jets up.

Double her cooldown or better yet delete the character.

Veelk

Banned
Back when everyone was bitching about pre-nerf Widow, I found and still find her to be the worst POS on PC. Pharah operates on a completely different plane to everyone. In a game where vertical sensitivity is lower by default, by the time you've aimed at Pharah you're dead with most heroes. An uncontested Pharah dominates 70% of games on the EU server. And I'm tired of switching to Zen to take care of that fucker.

Also, lol at the game's advice. "Move unpredictably", "she can't stay up forever". The splash damage is enough that no matter where I go I die, and as soon as Pharah lands she just jets up.

Double her cooldown or better yet delete the character.

Alternatively, a nerf to her health might do the trick. Like, she doesn't have a huge amount, but her evasiveness means she doesn't get hit often, so make her a glass cannon.

I like the idea of adding to her cooldown though. I wouldn't mind pharah's dominations as much if it's because the players are smart about how they use it

Balancing Widowmaker is a much harder challenge that I'd like to see Blizzard tackle. Getting shots in with her is TOO fucking hard. I feel I had most success with her when I played her as a backliner rather than a full out sniper, because her automatic rifle can still help the team along with her poison mines. But I want her to be actually viable as a sniper.

Soulflarz

Banned
Reaper guide:

Flank/hide
Shoot in the back
Diediedie
Repeat
Profit

No.
Hiding doesn't really work as an effective choice
Flank is a lot harder to do properly
Shoot in back is always viable, giving you this
SAVE YOUR ULT it has the potential to wipe out an entire team if you use it perfectly

:V
super serious reaper guide™

caesar

Banned
No.
Hiding doesn't really work as an effective choice
Flank is a lot harder to do properly
Shoot in back is always viable, giving you this
SAVE YOUR ULT it has the potential to wipe out an entire team if you use it perfectly

:V
super serious reaper guide™

Why is my team never smart enough to realise that the reaper floating right at us definitely has ult and will kill all 4 of the guys on point if they dont spread out?

Owzers

Why is my team never smart enough to realise that the reaper floating right at us definitely has ult and will kill all 4 of the guys on point if they dont spread out?
Sometimes I decide I can kill that reaper before he kills me with his alt...I'm always wrong.

Really, really hope they revert the overtime changes.

Not even because of losses. I zoned the area with a single D.Va ult and that was enough time for the OT to expire. That's lame.

Really, really hope they revert the overtime changes.

Not even because of losses. I zoned the area with a single D.Va ult and that was enough time for the OT to expire. That's lame.

Overtime, now, is basically, you don't actually deserve this, but hats off if you somehow pull it off.

I prefer the old overtime, but I would say give the old OT a max time limit or something.

KillGore

A good counter to pharah is Winston. Jump into the air and attack she usually dies before you drop.

Going to try this but honestly seems like a lie. Winston is good close range and his gun isn't that powerful. It's more about "shooting" multiple people at the same time. Also you would have to be lucky to jump in front of her. We'll see.

Pharah is really turning me off of this game. It's a shame too, I love it.

Like someone said here, none of the other heroes can move as freely vertically. Why would they just make 1 character that has so much freedom vertically? Mercy doesn't really count.

Soulflarz

Banned
Because half the cast shouldn't even worry about a reaper ult honestly. You might take some damage but it's not that efficient if they see him.

Just had a game on Hanamora and my team was on offense trying to take Point B. Game went into overtime as me and another play contested the point. We died and lost the game but not before seeing that our Hanzo, Junkrat, and Soldier on the top ledge right above the point trying to get some kills.

Why the fuck can't people just try to contest? What could you possibly lose trying to do that?

winston can be good with pharah. just jump past her while holding the fire button. most of them just drop to the ground because they rather not die if they can't get a good hit. so go with her and hold that fire button and melee the shit out of her.

brian!

winston puts pressure on her and blocks her shit, he's a good soft counter and is probably getting value for his team in other ways, gud pick

counters to pharah are mcree, soldier, sniper, but apparently that's kinda rough for console players, so something that just throws a shield down and doesn't have to aim seems like a pretty good compromise

oh genji is decent too, can combo her to death pretty quickly, but most pharahs kind of hang back so he kind of has to wade through all the shit to get to her
in terms of verticality genji is competitive, but he's more of a come at you from wherever he wants type of character and pharah is a lot more limited mobility-wise

on pc you just shoot her a couple of times w/ mcree, it's a pharah ghost town atm in my games

If Winston melee hits an enemy in mid-air from using his LSHIFT, he should grab them out of the air and slam them into the ground.

That would be bad ass, make for some funny plays, and just be all around hilarious.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i hope they go to a flat win/loss system for ranked next season, the current system might be more 'accurate' but it's also opaque and annoying

Grisby

So I remapped Lucio's jump button to L2 on PS4. Could not wallride with X. Curious to try it out tonight.
Also, is it me or has Quickplay gone to shit? Tried it yesterday after a few weeks of playing only competitive. I remember there being hero stacking but not to this extent. Played like 6 matches and all of them involved 5 hero stackings and 1 healer (They used 5 DVAs, 5 Winstons, 5 reapers, etc). Different people too.
Yeah, everyone just kind of uses whatever. 5 Ana's has been my life for the past couple of nights.

However, I don't fault people for trying new characters, which is what I imagine people are doing. I know I have been attempting to use different folks in QP that I don't normally use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom