• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsnap

on ps4. I have the most success against pharah using mcree. It's still tough to get the kill, but one good shot and they usually get scared and try to escape rather than just continuing to fire on everyone. But she is one of the toughest enemies to deal with at the moment.

I honestly haven't had much of an issue with Pharah on console. Maybe because I'm usually Widow? Idk, I can generally snipe her out of the sky, and as long as she's not looking at me when she's ult-ing she is dead.

Overtime, now, is basically, you don't actually deserve this, but hats off if you somehow pull it off.

I prefer the old overtime, but I would say give the old OT a max time limit or something.

I'm all for meeting in the middle on this one. The current state isn't good for the game, in my opinion.

Just had a game on Hanamora and my team was on offense trying to take Point B. Game went into overtime as me and another play contested the point. We died and lost the game but not before seeing that our Hanzo, Junkrat, and Soldier on the top ledge right above the point trying to get some kills.

Why the fuck can't people just try to contest? What could you possibly lose trying to do that?

You would think, this far from launch, that people would understand the need to get on the point.

But you would also think that people would see the need to switch heroes when needed.
---

That said... I'm really enjoying Quick Play at the moment, for some reason.

Soulflarz

Banned
Currently OT is good- the old one was really "you get a last push that will last for minutes have fun" while this one is "you lost already and we're going to be nice and give you one last chance", which is how an overtime when you've 'failed' to do your objective in the allotted time should be.

i hope they go to a flat win/loss system for ranked next season, the current system might be more 'accurate' but it's also opaque and annoying

This seriously screws over anyone in the high ranks though, since we now have to deal with RNG teammates not 'somewhat' affecting our score, and suddenly need to learn how to carry the entire match. Hoping they'll never implement that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I honestly haven't had much of an issue with Pharah on console. Maybe because I'm usually Widow? Idk, I can generally snipe her out of the sky, and as long as she's not looking at me when she's ult-ing she is dead.

Same. Even had some SUPER gimmick quick play match on hanamura defense where everyone was symmetra, the offense went all winston shortly, then we went all reaper, they went all pharah for the second point. I was the only person that went McCree but I held them at bay, and they stayed like that the whole time. He's incredibly strong against her even on console.

I've said it before but I feel Genji is the real console menace. He's significantly harder to actually track with his spastic double jump dashing all over the place.

cyborg009

Banned
Personally I would love a Winston buff his shield is pathetic and the cool down is way too high.

Also: How do you guys feel about people saving their ultimate for the very last second of a match? Usually it ends up being mercy doing this and it can really ruin a game for some. I've even seen people rush us using three ultimates at the same time and it caught us off guard cause we couldn't decided which to avoid.

Same. Even had some SUPER gimmick quick play match on hanamura defense where everyone was symmetra, the offense went all winston shortly, then we went all reaper, they went all pharah for the second point. I was the only person that went McCree but I held them at bay, and they stayed like that the whole time. He's incredibly strong against her even on console.

I've said it before but I feel Genji is the real console menace. He's significantly harder to actually track with his spastic double jump dashing all over the place.
Yeah, I agree Genji is awful. Even Tracer is susceptible to beam weapons like Sym and Winston because she doesn't have much verticality. Her dash needs to recharge and if she only saved one before entering an encounter you can catch her pretty quick. A good Genji will just double jump dash climb the fuck away. So annoying.

Crzy1

Decided to try out McCree over the weekend, he's quite the badass right now, the extra range makes him a serious threat on all but the largest play fields. Deadeye is also hilarious, probably don't even fire it half the time, just initiating it is enough to make the entire opposing team scatter. Finally started getting pissed off playing support for incompetent teammates and decided to play him for a while, my rank climbed from 54 to 59 for doing so. May have to play more damage dealers from here on.

Agreed and yeah McCree downs Pharah pretty quickly as well.

Currently OT is good- the old one was really "you get a last push that will last for minutes have fun" while this one is "you lost already and we're going to be nice and give you one last chance", which is how an overtime when you've 'failed' to do your objective in the allotted time should be.

Some of the best moments of this game were in those minutes. Pulling out unlikely wins. Ping-ponging who has the point. Stats skyrocketing in the unlikely scenario.

They've pulled back too far. Now, it seems to reinforce leavers' decisions. "I see where this one is going..."

abundant

Personally I would love a Winston buff his shield is pathetic and the cool down is way too high.

Never going to happen unless Blizzard...

- gets rid of hero stacking all together.
- have separate balances for Comp and QP/Solo and Stacked.

Winston's bubble shield was stronger in the closed beta, but it made Winston stacks OP.

Soulflarz

Banned
Some of the best moments of this game were in those minutes. Pulling out unlikely wins. Ping-ponging who has the point. Stats skyrocketing in the unlikely scenario.

They've pulled back too far. Now, it seems to reinforce leavers' decisions. "I see where this one is going..."

This is because the ping pong was impossible to end. You could safely hold it for 5m+ if you wanted- hell, if both teams on control had a double winston and lucio, the match would not end

This is because the ping pong was impossible to end. You could safely hold it for 5m+ if you wanted- hell, if both teams on control had a double winston and lucio, the match would not end

If both teams were really bad or really good, maybe. But for the most part, it would be a solid push and pull that felt satisfying for everyone.

But I agree that the old way needs to go. The new way needs to go a lot more quickly than the old way did.

OT sucks now, the bar goes down way too fast.

Im indifferent to the longer respawns...

But i definitely prefer the older version, I loved those last minute struggles.

I've been away on vacation so I only now had the chance to try out competitive myself. Man, the placement matches were such random nonsense. It really sucked when people left the games; it sometimes felt like winning was luck, based on the team you got. I got tons of gold medals though, with 5/5 w/l I got a rank of 50, but I noticed in the coming matches that you climb really fast. Gained two ranks in just two games. Hoping it keeps up.

I'm glad they increased the number of rounds in KOTH too, and the hero limit does work really well.

xaosslug

I've been away on vacation so I only now had the chance to try out competitive myself. Man, the placement matches were such random nonsense. It really sucked when people left the games; it sometimes felt like winning was luck, based on the team you got. I got tons of gold medals though, with 5/5 w/l I got a rank of 50, but I noticed in the coming matches that you climb really fast. Gained two ranks in just two games. Hoping it keeps up.

I'm glad they increased the number of rounds in KOTH too, and the hero limit does work really well.

GDjzIwZ.gif

Ramirez

The only characters I fear on console are Reaper and Genji. Everyone else can be contained fairly easy. Reaper's shotgun range is fucking absurd, he's tanky, he drops any character in the game in just a few shots and it doesn't require extreme accuracy. He gets a free heal for killing people, 8(!!) shots with a quick reload, easiest team wipe ult in the game...I could go on all day about this fuck. I die inside every time I hook him and a shot+melee doesn't kill him.

The McCree FTH nerf set Reaper free on console, there is no true hard counter to him on console, IMO. A great Reaper in a good team is extremely hard to overcome.

Genji is impossible to hit, and even though Winston counters him, there's so many characters that destroy Winston, you don't hardly ever see anyone try and counter pick him to Genji.

I mainly play tanks in competitive, and I know Reaper is a tank killer, but I simply think he's too good at it. I'd just like to see a more severe damage drop off, it's way too long at the moment, you can do actual impactful damage to Pharah at times when she's in the air, so silly to me.

Papercuts

The only characters I fear on console are Reaper and Genji. Everyone else can be contained fairly easy. Reaper's shotgun range is fucking absurd, he's tanky, he drops any character in the game in just a few shots and it doesn't require extreme accuracy. He gets a free heal for killing people, 8(!!) shots with a quick reload, easiest team wipe ult in the game...I could go on all day about this fuck. I die inside every time I hook him and a shot+melee doesn't kill him.

The McCree FTH nerf set Reaper free on console, there is no true hard counter to him on console, IMO. A great Reaper in a good team is extremely hard to overcome.

Genji is impossible to hit, and even though Winston counters him, there's so many characters that destroy Winston, you don't hardly ever see anyone try and counter pick him to Genji.

I mainly play tanks in competitive, and I know Reaper is a tank killer, but I simply think he's too good at it. I'd just like to see a more severe damage drop off, it's way too long at the moment, you can do actual impactful damage to Pharah at times when she's in the air, so silly to me.

Also reaper's ult seems to extend super far above him. The amount of times I've been pharah and boosted straight up once I heard the first DIE and get melted anyway is nuts.

Soulflarz

Banned

Fully agree that FTH being nerfed meant that people now have to go through hell to kill a reaper if you don't want to spend the time chasing him down. However, he isn't as good of a tank killer as everyone says- they just assume that because you know, shotguns do a lot to large HP!
Zarya 1v1 is very hard if you don't phase, and a decently charged Zarya will always win.
Roadhogs shotgun does more damage.
D Va simply outdamages you now.

Reaper shines on squishy enemies. He doesn't have too many hard counters, but so many characters can simply kill him in 1v1s, so it's a moot point.

Genji is the hardest for me to kill on console, especially since his ult is the scariest thing when he can jump around.

Also reaper's ult seems to extend super far above him. The amount of times I've been pharah and boosted straight up once I heard the first DIE and get melted anyway is nuts.

8m in a sphere around him, 550 damage total at ~183 a second.
It's by design, because no Pharah would die to him, making Death Blossom even worse against aware teams.

If both teams were really bad or really good, maybe. But for the most part, it would be a solid push and pull that felt satisfying for everyone.

But I agree that the old way needs to go. The new way needs to go a lot more quickly than the old way did.

No that was actually the general idea behind the meta for a bit on control. The no hero stacking+reduced OT is to stop the hell that one lucio and winston could cause in control and such, and no stacking stops that from being doubled. It was crazy if the team was good.

I cannot believe the number of leavers in competitive today. It's crazy.

I've played maybe 3 out of 10 games that didn't have leavers. Not including the ones that didn't actually start because someone left in the first 10 seconds.

Ramirez

Fully agree that FTH being nerfed meant that people now have to go through hell to kill a reaper if you don't want to spend the time chasing him down. However, he isn't as good of a tank killer as everyone says- they just assume that because you know, shotguns do a lot to large HP!

Zarya 1v1 is very hard if you don't phase, and a decently charged Zarya will always win.
Roadhogs shotgun does more damage.
D Va simply outdamages you now.

Reaper shines on squishy enemies. He doesn't have too many hard counters, but so many characters can simply kill him in 1v1s, so it's a moot point.

He's the best tank killer in the game outside of Roadhog. You shouldn't be trying to 1v1 anyone.

No that was actually the general idea behind the meta for a bit on control. The no hero stacking+reduced OT is to stop the hell that one lucio and winston could cause in control and such, and no stacking stops that from being doubled. It was crazy if the team was good.

Yeah, I was there for that. And it required a relatively coordinated team.

But again, I'm not advocating a complete reversal. What I'm putting forth is that the current OT is further from the mark than the previous one is, and I'm hoping for a change. Something much closer to the original OT, but I'm for meeting somewhere in the middle.

---

Okay, favorite Ana skin? Go.

Wadjet, for me. It's so Star Wars, where the Wasteland skin is Mad Max, and the Shrike skin is Destiny.

Soulflarz

Banned
He's the best tank killer in the game outside of Roadhog. You shouldn't be trying to 1v1 anyone.

As someone who only plays reaper and gets a silly amount of solo kills, huh?

Reaper is great at soloing people. Trust me. That's how you use him. You flank their entire team and pick people off who die fast. You will shoot people who aren't at full hp, but yeah, reaper can win a 1v1 if you're decent even.

Yeah, I was there for that. And it required a relatively coordinated team.

But again, I'm not advocating a complete reversal. What I'm putting forth is that the current OT is further from the mark than the previous one is, and I'm hoping for a change. Something much closer to the original OT, but I'm for meeting somewhere in the middle.\

Oh okay
I'm for the wick burning down fast, I just think maybe a bit slower might be nice. It doesn't burn fast for 20s, but once it burns fast, someone needs to be in immediately.

Kito

Switched to Winston for the last bit of a ranked game, got 11 elims with him, and my average elims at the end showed as 50(!) for Winston. This was my first time taking Winston to ranked; so averages are scaled? Hmm...

Ramirez

As someone who only plays reaper and gets a silly amount of solo kills, huh?

Reaper is great at soloing people. Trust me.

He's the best killer in the game, but I don't think you should actively be going out of your way to 1v1 people, he is devastating in large skirmishes. The further you get away from your team, the easier you are to kill, all I'm saying.

Amzin

It's weird seeing the console talk compared to the PC talk. Pharah is almost unplayable right now in PC which sucks because she's mah fav. Yet on consoles she's a terror I guess :p

It's also dumb how this patch hurt the diversity so much. In competitive play there's now even fewer characters being played with any decent amount of time, but some of them are different so it doesn't seem as boring yet. People keep saying the patch should have been on PTR longer but considering how glaring the balance issues were and that high-tier players were calling them out day 1 (even from just reading patch notes, then confirming playing in-game) I don't really think "more time" would have solved much. Their goal was just to get Ana out more than likely and try not to wreck too much in the process.

Soulflarz

Banned
He's the best killer in the game, but I don't think you should actively be going out of your way to 1v1 people, he is devastating in large skirmishes. The further you get away from your team, the easier you are to kill, all I'm saying.

You don't want to be in the large skirmish, you want to be behind it and ending it the second you get there though, that's how he works best.

also as much as I disagree with you I still wanna try comp whenever I get to your rank :V

Ramirez

You don't want to be in the large skirmish, you want to be behind it and ending it the second you get there though, that's how he works best.

lol, of course you don't want to come in from the front.

Reaper isn't a hard character dude, I know he's all you play, but he's easy as fuck to be good with. The way you try and lecture people about him just comes off so silly.

Soulflarz

Banned
lol, of course you don't want to come in from the front.

Reaper isn't a hard character dude, I know he's all you play, but he's easy as fuck to be good with. The way you try and lecture people about him just comes off so silly.

Because 90% of people aren't good with reaper. I don't pretend he's a character with a high ceiling, it's just he's a character that can be optimized in many ways that people simply refuse to do.

You main Roadhog and Zarya iirc and actually have them in top 1%s.
Zarya a character that is hell to play compared to mine, I would never pretend otherwise. I do think that people can improve with mine in some really simple ways.

Also you need to remember "easy as fuck to be good with" doesn't really apply for most of the 60's, because we already made it out of the vast majority of the placings, so we can assume any of us understand the game well enough to be passable with the cast.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I know his ceiling is low so I want more people to be good with him since he's not that hard to master, yet people still don't know how to use him.

Kito

It's also dumb how this patch hurt the diversity so much.

I beg to differ. Pharah, Bastion and Symmetra are extremely popular on the EU server. Across both servers I see less Hanzos but more D.Va, Zenyatta and McCree. Envy were using Mei and Zen in finals yesterday.

The most hilarious thing about the new overtime system is when 4-5 people on point go to chase a kill slightly off point and then get really confused when they lose. Seen it twice now.

Soulflarz

Banned
I beg to differ. Pharah, Bastion and Symmetra are extremely popular on the EU server. Across both servers I see less Hanzos but more D.Va, Zenyatta and McCree. Envy were using Mei and Zen in finals yesterday.

Mei was a troll pick because Envy was outplaying them so hard, it was to prove a point sadly.

Zen/McCree/Lucio are all but locked in place in a tourney match at the moment.

Ramirez

Also you need to remember "easy as fuck to be good with" doesn't really apply for most of the 60's, because we already made it out of the vast majority of the placings, so we can assume any of us understand the game well enough to be passable with the cast.

I would not trust most of the 60s I've played with to be passable with most of the cast, so I disagree with that. If I had to play Genji, I would absolutely be a detriment to my team, I'm terrible with him.

Soulflarz

Banned
I would not trust most of the 60s I've played with to be passable with most of the cast, so I disagree with that. If I had to play Genji, I would absolutely be a detriment to my team, I'm terrible with him.

Actually, Genji, Widow

...I redact my statement
But I switch it to the general point that we probably don't have as annoying of a time learning them to a competent level, which is probably no duh level.

Rad-

Decided to try out McCree over the weekend, he's quite the badass right now, the extra range makes him a serious threat on all but the largest play fields. Deadeye is also hilarious, probably don't even fire it half the time, just initiating it is enough to make the entire opposing team scatter. Finally started getting pissed off playing support for incompetent teammates and decided to play him for a while, my rank climbed from 54 to 59 for doing so. May have to play more damage dealers from here on.

I'm surprised how good he is even on consoles. Took a while to adjust to his new playstyle but now I'm doing really well with him. He's really satisfying to play atm.

However I have a feeling he will be the new "Hanzo", as in people will start picking him and not playing for the objective. He's pretty much a sniper now.

Odrion

Banned
I've been loving McCree but he needs a nerf.

Bring down the range a bit, he's way too good in that department. High burst with zero recoil is pretty brutal and basically turns him into a sniper that also has great close range. Maybe have mid-range's damage value be the same but decrease the drop off point.

Return fan the hammer to it's old damage value and don't make the roll auto reload, that way McCree can return to being the anti-flanker without being able to melt tanks. This new sniper McCree is waaaaaay to impactful and probably isn't what Blizzard intended.

caesar

Banned
Wtf lost 6 payload maps in a row. Had 2 teammated who stood outside the spawn door trying to camp in sudden death and they both died instantly to a fucking attack bastion.

Fucking mmr assassins

At least give me a koth so I can carry with tracer blizz ;_;

Actually, Genji, Widow

...I redact my statement
But I switch it to the general point that we probably don't have as annoying of a time learning them to a competent level, which is probably no duh level.

Rank isn't really a qualifier in any realm of how well-versed someone is in the game.

If someone picked an easy character to score golds with, and then small-grouped with relatively better players but not so much better as to create mismatches, placing in the 60s would neither be hard nor would it be an indicator of where someone's knowledge is of the game.

In fact, if anyone is currently placing, I strongly advise doing this.

Papercuts

Rank isn't really a qualifier in any realm of how well-versed someone is in the game.

If someone picked an easy character to score golds with, and then small-grouped with relatively better players but not so much better as to create mismatches, placing in the 60s would neither be hard nor would it be an indicator of where someone's knowledge is of the game.

In fact, if anyone is currently placing, I strongly advise doing this.

Yeah for next season it seems way smarter to do placements in groups of 2-3 instead of 5-6. It seems way more likely to steamroll, especially with the game's annoying grouping of premades against soloq.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Wasn't interested in this game at launch, but I'm looking for something new to play. I read over the OP and saw some videos and this looks like a fun game. How do I learn more?

Also - do I pick this up for PC or PS4?

brian!

Wasn't interested in this game at launch, but I'm looking for something new to play. I read over the OP and saw some videos and this looks like a fun game. How do I learn more?

Also - do I pick this up for PC or PS4?

depends what type of controls you like and what kind of shooters you like. pc is the more supported version tho, w/ quicker patches and stuff, but consoles have their own little metagame going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom