• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, competitive is such bullshit. So you play a game of Hollywood Attack and you win easily. Next round the other team does an alright job at attacking. They don't finish as fast as you, but they do finish and so you're 3-3. Now it's sudden death, and you have to defend. Of course you lose because of how one-sided this bullshit is and how much easier it is to attack than to defend. To top it all of, you got three gold medals and did great, but individual performance means fuck all in this ranking system so you still lose a rank.

Yeah, I'm a little bit salty. I just don't know what Blizzard were thinking with this nonsense.

Jarate

Banned
CONSOLES VS PC

PC:
+ M/KB so you can aim
-Everyone else can aim
+You can use a keybolard to text chat
-Everyone can use the keyboard to fall you homosexual slurs
+With a proper PC, graphics are better
-With a toaster game will run and look worse
+PC gets patches first
+Sniper is viable
-Sniper is viable
+Mei isnt as good

Console
-Controller sucks for FPS
+Everyone else can't aim at all allowing you to survive for way longer then you should have
+Comfy couch gameplay
+Can play on your TV
-Junkrats with mcdonalds wifi connections means you will get hit by bombs that weren't close to you
+not as many people will call you homosexual slurs
-unless you have a group, nobody ever communicates
+Easily record footage and stream using the PS4
-Both services look like ass compared to the more "complex" pc options

LiK

Wasn't interested in this game at launch, but I'm looking for something new to play. I read over the OP and saw some videos and this looks like a fun game. How do I learn more?

Also - do I pick this up for PC or PS4?

Depends on your preference for controller or mouse/kb for shooters.

Soulflarz

Banned
CONSOLES VS PC

PC:
+ M/KB so you can aim
-Everyone else can aim
+You can use a keybolard to text chat
-Everyone can use the keyboard to fall you homosexual slurs
+With a proper PC, graphics are better
-With a toaster game will run and look worse
+PC gets patches first
+Sniper is viable
-Sniper is viable
+Mei isnt as good

Console
-Controller sucks for FPS
+Everyone else can't aim at all allowing you to survive for way longer then you should have
+Comfy couch gameplay
+Can play on your TV
-Junkrats with mcdonalds wifi connections means you will get hit by bombs that weren't close to you
+not as many people will call you homosexual slurs
-unless you have a group, nobody ever communicates
+Easily record footage and stream using the PS4
-Both services look like ass compared to the more "complex" pc options

Dont forget console gets a special note on Pharah under can't aim

Pharah is viable to attack with on console because no one can kill her if their lives depended on it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Pharah is viable to attack with on console because no one can kill her if their lives depended on it.

Hey how am I being hit from the sky?
Oh wells, I'll keep moving forward, it'll stop soon enough

*Elimination*

Repeat

Pharah 5 Gold Medals, POTG, and salty message of "Play a harder class, like Hanzo, jerk!". So easy to shoot from the sky..."

LiK

Dont forget console gets a special note on Pharah under can't aim

You need to stop this bullshit. Pharah can easily be taken out by good McCree and Soldier players. And they can do it consistently.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, competitive is such bullshit. So you play a game of Hollywood Attack and you win easily. Next round the other team does an alright job at attacking. They don't finish as fast as you, but they do finish and so you're 3-3. Now it's sudden death, and you have to defend. Of course you lose because of how one-sided this bullshit is and how much easier it is to attack than to defend. To top it all of, you got three gold medals and did great, but individual performance means fuck all in this ranking system so you still lose a rank.

Yeah, I'm a little bit salty. I just don't know what Blizzard were thinking with this nonsense.

I feel like I've won more defending than attacking in sudden death ever since they tweaked the times.

Key is being a zarya to build up that graviton surge.

nikos

Depend...

Few things to note, you get more XP by doing Quick Play and Competitive than vs Bots and Brawl(as far as I know).

You get 20% more XP by playing in a group (2 or more)

lvl 24 in 5 hours seems a bit fast to be honest, especially if he's only playing against bots.

Level 25 in 15 hours is about right.

It takes a little less than an hour to get a level thats 23+, so it stands to reason it takes considerably less time for that first 20.

That makes me feel better. Thanks!

Antiwhippy

Anyone with long range can take her down. With the buff, Zens can also take down my Pharah by slapping a Discord on me and then shooting their balls.

I mean yeah, zen can, but if we have the conceit that both are on the same level of skill in aiming, and that they they both have good but not godlevel-land-every-shot-as-headshot level of aiming, you would not want to duel 1 v 1 against a flying pharah too often. Her juking in the air still makes dueling without a hitscan hard and zen has like zero mobility options and can just die to a direct hit and then splash damage. It's not hard to get a direct hit on zen.

I've taken down quite a number of pharrahs myself but if they've got their sights on me i high tail out of there.

I've played quite a bit of Pharah on console and she seems balanced to me. Sure she can get a lot of height but she's fairly slow while up in the air. Personally I've seen nimble Lucios, Tracers and Genjis which go far longer without getting killed thanks to their difficulty to hit.

So I'm getting more and more settled with Ana. Knowing that her Super pretty much requires another super to cancel it out makes me feel a bit better. There are plenty of other supers just like that. I've noticed a lot of Lucios and Zenyattas holding their Ults waiting for Ana to pop first. Which is fine. That makes sense.

On the other hand. DVas... DVas everywhere...

I played about 18 comp matches today. Pretty sure DVa was in every single one of them. Her ability to push is crazy right now. And being able to Ult out of a Mech explosion has become incredibly annoying as an attacker.

I personally like the idea of buffing DVa, but I feel like they overshot just a little bit. I'd like to see the removal of the option to Ult during Mech death removed.

Soulflarz

Banned
You need to stop this bullshit. Pharah can easily be taken out by good McCree and Soldier players. And they can do it consistently.

It's not really bullshit if the majority of players aren't good at doing it though. Yes, many people we know are capable of taking out Pharah, but that doesn't mean it'll be the average persons experience, so I'm not going to pretend it's nearly as easy on console.

Antiwhippy

So I'm getting more and more settled with Ana. Knowing that her Super pretty much requires another super to cancel it out makes me feel a bit better. There are plenty of other supers just like that. I've noticed a lot of Lucios and Zenyattas holding their Ults waiting for Ana to pop first. Which is fine. That makes sense.

On the other hand. DVas... DVas everywhere...

I played about 18 comp matches today. Pretty sure DVa was in every single one of them. Her ability to push is crazy right now. And being able to Ult out of a Mech explosion has become incredibly annoying as an attacker.

I personally like the idea of buffing DVa, but I feel like they overshot just a little bit. I'd like to see the removal of the option to Ult during Mech death removed.

She could always do that, and it's always a bad idea because it's the easiest one to dodge and you've wasted an ult. Only good time to do that is in the ending skirmish in order to force people away.

The ult is still super easy to dodge unless you shoot it in the air.

LiK

I mean yeah, zen can, but if we have the conceit that both are on the same level of skill in aiming, and that they both have good but not god level land every shot as a headshot, you would not want to duel 1 v 1 against a flying pharah too often. Her juking in the air still makes dueling without a hitscan hard and zen has like zero mobility options and can just due to a direct hit and then splash damage.

I've taken down quite a number of pharrahs myself but if they've got their sights on me i high tail out of there.

With the life buff, a good Zen has been taken me down as Pharah before I can take him out. He usually has a sliver of life left. Happened quite often even when I'm juking trying to avoid everyone else.

But I'm just saying that Pharah on console is not God-like at all. She has plenty of counters and some comments about her being impossible to hit is ridiculous to me.

Also, the Mercy combo sucks but only if Pharah has a pocket Mercy to protect her which depends on groups.

It's not really bullshit if the majority of players aren't good at doing it though. Yes, many people we know are capable of taking out Pharah, but that doesn't mean it'll be the average persons experience, so I'm not going to pretend it's nearly as easy on console.

Is there any stats for this. Like the overwatch meta report or are you going off anectodal evidence for the majority?

Phii

Banned
The competitive scene don't like Symmetra for some reason? Almost everytime I pick her during preparation, one or two or maybe three teamplayers are crying out loud for me to change to something but her.

Obviously I would try and adapt to the match and switch to some other hero if I think I'm not contributing well enough to the team, 'cause that's how I think the game is designed to be played. I guess quick play is where I'm at.

LiK

The competitive scene don't like Symmetra for some reason? Almost everytime I pick her during preparation, one or two or maybe three teamplayers are crying out loud for me to change to something but her.

Obviously I would try and adapt to the match and switch to some other hero if I think I'm not contributing well enough to the team, 'cause that's how I think the game is designed to be played. I guess quick play is where I'm at.

Play who you want if you're not in their group. Symm is still viable. Are you on console cuz people have picked her less after the nerf. I've noticed more Torb players are back. The nerf didn't stop his popularity in Comp.

She could always do that, and it's always a bad idea because it's the easiest one to dishes and you've wasted an ult. Only God time to do that is in the ending skirmish in order to force people away.

The ult is still super easy to dodge unless you shoot it in the air.

I know she could always do it, I'm saying with the other changes it's become more powerful of a play.

DVas have become so popular that people are swarming to kill her. Which leaves very little time to run away when you're at ground zero for the explosion.

Antiwhippy

With the life buff, a good Zen has been taken me down as Pharah before I can take him out. He usually has a sliver of life left. Happened quite often even when I'm juking trying to avoid everyone else.

He really should die if you land at least one direct hit to follow up with a splash. I'm talking about a 1 v 1 situation tbf. If the pharah isn't focused on me i discord and orb away.

Oftentimes people will want to be healed more than anything.

For some reason, shields do not equate survivability to them.

Also a bad Symmetra won't build meter quick enough to have the teleporter up, which can lose a point on defense, etc. A good Symmetra can tear through people who try to flank, set up early warning systems with turrets, and keep the teleporter up enough to secure points.

But for the most part, ignore people who suggest comp picks, especially when you have game experience.

I remember someone shouting at the person who picked Ana, but she was the most clutch support we had. The guy who shouted was booty at the game as well.

LiK

He really should die if you land at least one direct hit to follow up with a splash. I'm talking about a 1 v 1 situation tbf. If the pharah isn't focused on me i discord and orb away.

1v1 is so rare for me. Most Zens I played against in QP and Comp always hide near someone else. Additional difficulty!

Gator86

It's weird seeing the console talk compared to the PC talk. Pharah is almost unplayable right now in PC which sucks because she's mah fav. Yet on consoles she's a terror I guess :p

It's also dumb how this patch hurt the diversity so much. In competitive play there's now even fewer characters being played with any decent amount of time, but some of them are different so it doesn't seem as boring yet. People keep saying the patch should have been on PTR longer but considering how glaring the balance issues were and that high-tier players were calling them out day 1 (even from just reading patch notes, then confirming playing in-game) I don't really think "more time" would have solved much. Their goal was just to get Ana out more than likely and try not to wreck too much in the process.

They're different games. Im on PS4 and was saying within the first couple weeks of release Torb was gonna get a nerf and people were incredulous because, I would guess, the vast majority of people here are PC players. Same thing for Pharah now. At higher ranks, she is fucking intolerable. Anyone playing her at 60 and up is smart enough to avoid doing suicidal stuff so her flight and skills make her damn near unkillable, when combined with the console aim gap.

On PC, she seems to be a big target. On console, she's basically Zeus - an unkillable God raining down lightning and thunder on mortals barely capable of defending themselves. I'm rank 66 with a Solider in the 92nd percentile and every time I see her blast out of the spawn, all I can think is "God fucking dammit, the next twenty minutes are gonna be fucking miserable."

Antiwhippy

I know she could always do it, I'm saying with the other changes it's become more powerful of a play.

DVas have become so popular that people are swarming to kill her. Which leaves very little time to run away when you're at ground zero for the explosion.

Eh i still find it super easy to dodge honestly. I think once people learn about her new timing they'll be able to dodge it more, but you can still catch some people out which is what should be happening really, because it was real easy to dodge before.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Right now OverWatch time has taken a back seat to Paragon, enjoying the 3rd person shooter for what it is

Daily reward, weekly challenges, something to earn per level feels good
Soon No Man's Sky drops, I might get that too

OW is losing its time with me, leavers, sudden death, and solo comp queue have broken me
Highest comp was 60, I'm 49 due to all the bullshit

Anne

Somebody got rough pick percentages from the tournaments yesterday. Not going to be the most amazingly accurate thing, but it is pretty good in showing what the trends are. Idk how exactly the data is collected though; like it lists Sym as 0% pick when I saw her in semi and grands finals of the NA qual. She's the only one that stands out as glaringly inaccurate though.

956b6cad40.png

Edit: Also note there might be weird things in here. Stuff like Mercy having a slightly inflated usage rate due to lower tier teams or teams that didn't adapt to the changes. This just shows how often they were picked, not how much they won.

Antiwhippy

Somebody got rough pick percentages from the tournaments yesterday. Not going to be the most amazingly accurate thing, but it is pretty good in showing what the trends are. Idk how exactly the data is collected though; like it lists Sym as 0% pick when I saw her in semi and grands finals of the NA qual. She's the only one that stands out as glaringly inaccurate though.

Edit: Also note there might be weird things in here. Stuff like Mercy having a slightly inflated usage rate due to lower tier teams or teams that didn't adapt to the changes. This just shows how often they were picked, not how much they won.

That's way more genji than expected.

Really, really hope they revert the overtime changes.
I saw a great suggestion on reddit – change the bar so that it slowly depletes but doesn't refill, making overtime viable, but not infinite.

I'd probably tweak it so you could slowly recharge the bar by being on a payload or point uncontested, but either way it's good.

As it is, I'm not sure what the new OT is supposed to fix. You can no longer cheese in ranked and if QP allows cheese stacks, then in the sake of fairness they should let cheese overtime occur as well.

The only characters I fear on console are Reaper and Genji.
I imagine you probably have to deal with character gods at your rank, but playing competitive a few days ago I found myself mostly shut down as a Reaper by some higher level teams (mid 60s). I could kill them, but I could never get to them as a group and when I did, I was insta-dead. It probably didn't help that the more they shut me down the more desperate I got and was probably telegraphing my intent.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Genji. If anyone has any advice on how to play against him, I'm all ears because at my MMR I'm saying more good genjis than bad.

---

Also, I should probably apologize to some of the gaffers I play with. Once I get on tilt from being dominated I start bitching after every death whether it was a bad beat or not. Just clogging the comms with pointless whining. Usually I realize to mute myself the next game til I calm down, though.

Antiwhippy

He's a nightmare. Played against too many good Genjis lately.

Problem is that he used to not be picked as often because his difficulty ceiling is too high to be utilised properly.

Wonder if the fall of Winston and rise of zen has anything to do with it.

abundant

I think what he means is that at that level of play, Genji is mostly a situational hero. Good on some maps, bad at others. In past tournaments, he seemed like he didn't see this much play time.

Another thing to consider - since Pharah is no longer a viable pick, people like Seagull, who is a great Genji, no longer are stuck playing Pharah.

Gator86

On console, I rarely encounter good Genjis. I can't think of more than a handful I've had the displeasure of fighting in around 100 hours. But those few, goddamn, so emasculating to struggle against.

LiK

On console, I rarely encounter good Genjis. I can't think of more than a handful I've had the displeasure of fighting in around 100 hours. But those few, goddamn, so emasculating to struggle against.

Console here too. Seems like I see one every game now. QP And Comp. even last night, I was with Gaffers and this one Genji was harassing us and destroying most of us and constantly running away. Tracer levels of annoyance, lol

IKizzLE

God damn, Pharah dropped like a rock...I wonder wh....O, damn near 100% mccree usage.

Anne

Lemme put it this way. If you wanna deal with Zen/Lucio then Genji is good at that. He isn't as scared of Discord Orb than others because he's still hard to hit. He gets to execute Zen fairly often as well. Winston is also outside of the meta for the most part right now, so there goes his hardest counter. Pharah is also out which held him back.

Then you factor in the fact that Genji has Zen on his team. Genji on any target hit by Discord Orb probably can outright kill them. Genji can beat McCree 1v1 like this no problem.

On top of that players have just gotten better on Genji too, so it just kind of all adds up to him being picked fairly often. The meta is more snowbally than ever too which he fits into well. Only thing stopping him from being picked even more is Zarya/D.Va hopping around.

Gator86

Console here too. Seems like I see one every game now. QP And Comp. even last night, I was with Gaffers and this one Genji was harassing us and destroying most of us and constantly running away. Tracer levels of annoyance, lol

That sounds fucking awful haha. I've been lucky enough to avoid that so far. I wouldn't put the average Genji anywhere near the soul-crushing omniscience of a Tracer or Pharah who tend to just break a team's will to fight back entirely after a few minutes.

Antiwhippy

Still looking at that list, i feel like they only need to tweak mccree and zen a bit and then a lot more characters will become more viable.

Still needs some work but they can get to an alright sort of balanced after a few more cycles! Defense heroes are still a major problem though.

Well that's a new one. In the middle of a competitive match I got a message that the servers shut down unexpectedly and was kicked to the home screen. Weird.

LiK

Well that's a new one. In the middle of a competitive match I got a message that the servers shut down unexpectedly and was kicked to the home screen. Weird.

That's been happening more often after the patch. Not sure what's going on. I've also had really long load screens and some uber long solo queues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom