• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

So why do people pick and the unpick characters rapidly in the character select screen? Does that mean something that I'm not aware of?

There are a couple of reasons.

1) If two people pick a character who isn't effective in a double comp, then one might do the flashing icon to essentially tell the other person to back off in a passive-aggressive manner.
2) It looks funny, especially if the whole team starts doing it. So one person will start it and hope the rest of the team does as well.

Honestly you can tell a good PotG. If someone places a really nicely timed ult, shuts down an enemy ult, or kills a lot of people, it's a good PotG, but then you get some where you have a Torbjörn jerking off next to his turret while that kills a couple of people, or just stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all, like I had one Widowmaker get a PotG for slowly killing 2 people although there have been a few double kills and a triple kill - by yours truly - in the same game.

Honestly you can tell a good PotG. If someone places a really nicely timed ult, shuts down an enemy ult, or kills a lot of people, it's a good PotG, but then you get some where you have a Torbjörn jerking off next to his turret while that kills a couple of people, or just stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all, like I had one Widowmaker get a PotG for slowly killing 2 people although there have been a few double kills and a triple kill - by yours truly - in the same game.
Yup, saw a Dva POTG that ultimately won us the match on Volskaya point B. The cool thing was that he got a legendary card afterwards for it. The good ones are always fun to watch.

I got PotG as Widow once for slowly lining up a headshot on a Soldier who started his ultimate, then watching him get rezzed, lining up the headshot, and shooting him as he restarted his ultimate. At least that one was funny.

Ayumi

Either I played with a REALLY good McCree, or he was cheating. He completely slaughtered the enemy team on Anubis as we defended both objectives, I don't know how many kills he had (I think it was around 50), but he kept killing them so fast and easily that only 1-2 of them were alive at the same time. On the good note... we won, and it was the easiest game I've ever played in Comp. Also, he's only Rank 37, which makes it even more suspicious. Maybe he was good, but it was all so weird. He also got POTG with 6 kills as McCree, and I couldn't see more than 3 of them in sight.

Is it easy for Blizzard to check who is cheating or not if someone reports them? I assume they have access to view the game after it's done and stuff. I didn't report him because I wasn't sure..

No_Style

61 to 58. What a night of weirdly lopsided games with randoms.

Edit: Ended on a high note with the first win of night. Thanks for the trickle of points, Blizzard :)

I got PotG as Widow once for slowly lining up a headshot on a Soldier who started his ultimate, then watching him get rezzed, lining up the headshot, and shooting him as he restarted his ultimate. At least that one was funny.

One of POTGs I gotten before was when I was Mercy, I destroyed Torb's Turret, GA back to the Widow and damage boosted her for 1 kill....

1x

Got into a competitive match in solo queue on Temple of Anubis. Picked my character, as I was walking out Mei put up a wall so our team couldn't leave the start area.

I immediately quit out because fuck that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I tried installing update 1.05 on my ps4 but it keeps saying it cannot download. Ive updated other games just fine. Is this a known issue? Any tips?

How much space do you have open?

I find the PS4 to have an incredibly annoying issue where it needs a lot of extra space open before it'll download, I always have to clear stuff even with over 20 gigs open.

How much space do you have open?

I find the PS4 to have an incredibly annoying issue where it needs a lot of extra space open before it'll download, I always have to clear stuff even with over 20 gigs open.
Thank you! Its now downloading. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. I assumed if there wasn't enough space the system would notify me.

Rad-

Either I played with a REALLY good McCree, or he was cheating. He completely slaughtered the enemy team on Anubis as we defended both objectives, I don't know how many kills he had (I think it was around 50), but he kept killing them so fast and easily that only 1-2 of them were alive at the same time. On the good note... we won, and it was the easiest game I've ever played in Comp. Also, he's only Rank 37, which makes it even more suspicious. Maybe he was good, but it was all so weird. He also got POTG with 6 kills as McCree, and I couldn't see more than 3 of them in sight.

Is it easy for Blizzard to check who is cheating or not if someone reports them? I assume they have access to view the game after it's done and stuff. I didn't report him because I wasn't sure..

Current McCree is insane in Anubis second point defense because as long as you stand around the point, you deal max damage to pretty much each direction no matter what route the enemy comes from. My favorite map with McCree now easily.

Also McCree builds up ult charge way too fucking fast now. First I thought it was just because of enemy Roadhogs but nope, even without a Roadhog you get so many ults in one round as McCree. Like he really needed that fast of a charge rate on top of everything else. His ult charge rate reminds me of Mercy prenerf. I feel dirty playing him. I need to take a shower.

Ramirez

I learned the hardway that I shouldn't play competitive with you guys anymore, as long as it's KotH. Had some really bad games tonight.

Ah, no big deal. I'll tell ya this though, Winston against Zen, Reaper, and Roadhog will always end poorly, lol.

Discord orb is lame as all hell. Wouldn't mind a cool down on that.

darklin0

Banned
got a friend request and a message asking to add me

it's like the 7 before your number has people suddenly think you're good ?_?

Someone added me randomly and normally I just reject them but I was like, sure why not.
I now queue up with the guy almost every night. It can be a good thing sometimes.

Also, congrats on 70. I am getting there soon!

Soulflarz

Banned
Someone added me randomly and normally I just reject them but I was like, sure why not.
I now queue up with the guy almost every night. It can be a good thing sometimes.

Also, congrats on 70. I am getting there soon!

Yeah just added a random we got with 2 games in a row who was gold elims. Love him.

72, just got a full rank in a match.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yea, good. I need to purge my list anyway.

pls, it's just a comp game, this group is my high school friends. I'm not going to shoot them down for GAF, I've known them 8-13 years (and the fact if I did that they'd probably just drop me, I know Reaper isn't half as useful as a good Zen+Lucio combo). We stopped playing with the Reinhardt too and we know him IRL, we just tested a ton and found solo queue with just the 2 of us + the other guy when he comes in had us winning a lot more, so we basically as a group agreed to solo queue forever.

It's not anything against anyone else, it's just statistically we haven't done well with full parties, even when it was GAF members a full 5 ranks above us.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you people really take it that seriously? I'll play with whoever, even if it's a group where we lose regularly.

Like honestly the most I've ranked up was in solo queue, but it's fun to just play in a group. Though I find it fun in solo too. Guess I don't really mind either way.

ramyeon

Do you people really take it that seriously? I'll play with whoever, even if it's a group where we lose regularly.

Like honestly the most I've ranked up was in solo queue, but it's fun to just play in a group. Though I find it fun in solo too. Guess I don't really mind either way.
But if you can't post on forums about how great your exclusive team is and how people of lower rank are dragging you down then what's the point?

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, trying to clarify this so I don't bother anyone. I didn't mean to come off as mean there Lik if I did, sorry for responding in the moment. It's not you, I'm between a rock and a hard place with annoying people on my choice to play with others or not. We've tried 4 different groups that I can count of and barely went 50% average, even if we all played very well. Then we went a group of 3 + solo queue and went 21-4, then tried full groups again and got dragged from 67->63. Solo queue has us back at 13-2 now, up to a new high of 72.

It's not that I mind doing comp with others, it just doesn't work well with the larger groups. I have no idea if it's actually placebo or just we're awful in larger parties, it just hasn't worked for us at all. Either I play with my friend group + others and we all get frustrated at minimal progress, or we solo queue and bother all the guys we used to play with for suddenly dropping all of them.

And I really only play OW to spend more time with that friend group since I see them a lot less than I'd like to. S-so yeah. I'll do QP whenever you want.

^Well, for taking it seriously, it's more so to see how far we can get- what's the point of playing a competitive playlist if you can't see that. We don't play super seriously when we do- we talk about life a lot and such, but yeah, we overall would prefer to have a crazy win streaks vs losing and winning, it's more fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I definitely have experienced the full squad -> leading to harder matches. Most likely because there are 6 man premades that take it a lot more seriously, while I would describe my groups as "rag-tag", including me. :p

Soulflarz

Banned
I definitely have experienced the full squad -> leading to harder matches. Most likely because there are 6 man premades that take it a lot more seriously, while I would describe my groups as "rag-tag", including me. :p

That could be it. We don't really have a perfect comp and just kind of pray we can offset it with doing well enough at our roles, but we still think it's a better option than playing against 6 tryhards who are doing callouts and such instead of having fun in the match.

Ramirez

I do nothing but lose lately, just got steam rolled in a game. Idiot's trying to use Bastion on offense in a level 70 game. Not a damn thing anyone can do to overcome idiotic team picks.

Gator86

Fucking goddamn hell. I have never been placed with more wretched assholes than tonight. Just loss after loss as the feckless morons I was teamed with did jackshit fucking nothing. 27k damage in one game and we still got rolled without so much as slowing them down. Just makes me want to quit playing entirely. There needs to be an emote for "why the fuck can't any of you get a fucking kill. Please fucking try. Just hit some buttons. Anything. Please."

/endrant

So yea, Genji needs a nerf on console. The ult charges too fast, and he's way too damn hard to hit. Went Winston and still couldn't do shit because I get a Discord orb put on me and I'm melted within seconds. I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the high level players on PS4 main Genji. Meh.

Heh, I think he needs a nerf too, but I figured people would accuse me of hating on the guy who jumps a lot. Honestly the jumping doesn't bother me nearly as much as the inability to really counter dragonblade outside of killing the fuck. Transcendence and Whole Hog could counter, off the top of my head.

---

If there's one thing that's hard to do consistently, it's realize you should counter-pick in the heat of the moment. Was playing with GAF and we barely split on Nepal when I abandoned Lucio in the last round because I kept getting melted by Winston. I stupidly picked Zenyatta to try and orb the team, but after getting melted again I took Reaper and the rest was history. I made it my personal mission to end that Winston's life every time I saw him (and I did). Thankfully someone else picked up the Lucio slack and we went on to win the game.

---

I also ran into Kor randomly in a game tonight. Don't remember any interactions in game but I didn't realize the dude was a rank 70. Damn.

Edit: Oh, I think the proper nerf to Zenyatta is to reduce his Discord bonus to 30% from 50%. I think that's what Blizzard was trying to do when they buffed Mercy. That would make him less of an offensive terror while keeping his survivability and healing intact.

Ramirez

Wait really? I only play 9pm-12am, orz. Maybe I should try and convince my group for daytime.

Btw Ramirez, what rank did it take to place top 500 originally? Thanks.

I'm only speaking from my solo experience, here lately it doesn't seem to matter. I always get on the worse team.

76 had me at #84 on over buff.

Having no luck on PS4 tonight, switched over to Xbox and get an attack Torb on Volskaya, jesus fucking christ.

Next game a Bastion on Ilios, kill me.

Rowena

Neo Member
For those of you solo queuers on console: do you find yourself doing worse during the week and better on the weekends?

I don't play on Friday,Saturday and or Sunday. I've found those days just day I can't win. Monday through Thursday are good to go for me.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm only speaking from my solo experience, here lately it doesn't seem to matter. I always get on the worse team.

76 had me at #84 on over buff.

Having no luck on PS4 tonight, switched over to Xbox and get an attack Torb on Volskaya, jesus fucking christ.

Next game a Bastion on Ilios, kill me.

Official top 500 gives you a special in game rank tracker, you're telling me I have to get above 76? Welp, could be a tough road, why not though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom