• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Attack Hanzo can be powerful, as I said, can be useful as long as you move up to support rather than sitting around at the very back all the time. Attack Widhewmaker though...? You would have to have a very poor understanding of the game and extreme noobality to make such a poor judgement.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd like to see it go to this as well. I'd also like them to count every CP on a capture point as a point. If one team makes it to the 3rd CP on Anubis B, and the other team only got to the 2nd CP, why do both teams only have 1 point?

Wait, 3rd CP on anubis?

Ramirez

Wait, 3rd CP on anubis?

Sorry, should have wrote out check point. Each circle has what, 2 checkpoints? It's late, and I'm dumb. Anyways, I think those should count as points. A team that fills up 75% of the circle did better than a team who only did 50%, but right now that isn't taken into account at all.

peakish

Yeah exactly. Why is this not a thing? It seems so obvious. I really wonder what Blizzard's reasoning for sudden death is.
I think the idea is that *a win is a win," at least that's how this commenter interprets it: http://www.sirlin.net/posts/overwatchs-competitive-mode

But as also outlined in that post it doesn't quite work and the SD (at least in it's current implementation) is a bad way to resolve the problem. I'm curious about the time bank they're talking about introducing in season 2, where payload will function similarly to CP maps in that you get to push the cart again in the leftover time. But not only will this be functionally similar to Stopwatch (so why not use that from the start), it will make matches even longer which is already an issue in one game mode.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nah, because you shouldnt be punished for choosing to save your ult until the end of the cap. No cap is no cap.

Also SD is 50% win/loss for atk/def atm roughly, just no one likes it.

My first though was that he has to be us a kbm adapter thing. But is there kbm suport for ow?

As far as I know, there's no way to do that in Overwatch without some kind of modding. It would break the game considering they balance the console versions separately.

Soulflarz

Banned
Do you have stats behind this?

Sadly no one has the numbers, but that statement was off of blizzard saying it was very close and that people still hated it and believed it wasn't in their favor when they announced they're removing it for the fall season.
Hell I think my group is 4-2 for Sudden Death and we all hate it still.

Veelk

Banned
Guys, I think I just had the single worst played match I've ever fucking seen with this game.

Attack on Hollywood.

One player picks Symmetra, because of course they do.

But the truly fascinating thing is how they kept us at the spawn point and played things out from there. They just kept flanking us around the paths that we, the attacking team, were meant to be taking. Even their Torbjorn was getting in on this action, without his turret, without his Molten Core and he still won out against our soldier. So I thought "Well, bad start, but this is an easy counter, surely my team will know they need to just charge ahead so that atleast the defenders will have to pull back or else lose the objective."

No. NO.

For some bizarre reason, they basically turned it into a TDM in the open area near the spawn point. I was shooting at a Roadhog that was right behind my team's McCree, and he didn't turn around. Somehow he didn't hear his snorting, reload animation, the fact that he was firing at me, or anything. He wasn't even busy firing at someone else at the time, it was just....

And then the D.Va who decided to Self Destruct in a room in the shop. Right as the enemy turned the corner and was safe. But hey, it's not we needed to clear that choke point where 3 enemies were or anything, right?

The Symmetra is the one that amazed me. Yeah, go ahead, set up the teleporter in the shop area, it's not like the enemy is downstairs or that it's not even far from the checkpoint.

I'm not a great mercy, but I don't think I was doing that bad. But there was literally nothing I could do to save a team that is obviously playing the game for the very first time, whatever their level may be. I have no other explanation for what I witnessed. I'm not even mad, just....shocked.

Bollocks

lol just played with the worst mercy in ranked, granted he was 25 but still lol, I doubt he even know that he could switch weapons.
was playing reinhardt, no heal and when I got her attention she damage boosted me. same thing with my friends, she just neglected them and followed our 5th guy, around.
I wasn't even mad, because it was obvious that she didn't know what she was doing.

e: is there a way to look up the statistics of the game, would really like to see her statistics.

peakish

Sadly no one has the numbers, but that statement was off of blizzard saying it was very close and that people still hated it and believed it wasn't in their favor when they announced they're removing it for the fall season.
Yeah, win or lose it mostly feels like a dice roll. Not just for who gets to attack or defend, but for whether or not the desperate push is successful.

Azoor

Guys, I think I just had the single worst played match I've ever fucking seen with this game.

Attack on Hollywood.

One player picks Symmetra, because of course they do.

But the truly fascinating thing is how they kept us at the spawn point and played things out from there. They just kept flanking us around the paths that we, the attacking team, were meant to be taking. Even their Torbjorn was getting in on this action, without his turret, without his Molten Core and he still won out against our soldier. So I thought "Well, bad start, but this is an easy counter, surely my team will know they need to just charge ahead so that atleast the defenders will have to pull back or else lose the objective."

No. NO.

For some bizarre reason, they basically turned it into a TDM in the open area near the spawn point. I was shooting at a Roadhog that was right behind my team's McCree, and he didn't turn around. Somehow he didn't hear his snorting, reload animation, the fact that he was firing at me, or anything. He wasn't even busy firing at someone else at the time, it was just....

And then the D.Va who decided to Self Destruct in a room in the shop. Right as the enemy turned the corner and was safe. But hey, it's not we needed to clear that choke point where 3 enemies were or anything, right?

The Symmetra is the one that amazed me. Yeah, go ahead, set up the teleporter in the shop area, it's not like the enemy is downstairs or that it's not even far from the checkpoint.

I'm not a great mercy, but I don't think I was doing that bad. But there was literally nothing I could do to save a team that is obviously playing the game for the very first time, whatever their level may be. I have no other explanation for what I witnessed. I'm not even mad, just....shocked.

I'll be honest here, I'd be tempted to leave the game if I were you. I wouldn't, but the temptation would be strong.

Antiwhippy

It might not count healing friendly players for some reason.

That would be... a really bad way to measure it?

Also apparently I need to be killing people more and healing people more, because goddamn chips, goddamn. Right now I'm still mainly focused on healing but I really need to learn to balance attack and healing.

Ah, I see. I feel like the attackers are at an advantage, but maybe that's not the case.

lol just played with the worst mercy in ranked, granted he was 25 but still lol, I doubt he even know that he could switch weapons.
was playing reinhardt, no heal and when I got her attention she damage boosted me. same thing with my friends, she just neglected them and followed our 5th guy, around.
I wasn't even mad, because it was obvious that she didn't know what she was doing.

e: is there a way to look up the statistics of the game, would really like to see her statistics.

You go to social and look at recent players. You can view their statistics from there if your remember their name. If you mean the statistics from that game, no you can't do that unfortunately. Just their overall stats.

LiK

Attack Hanzo can be powerful, as I said, can be useful as long as you move up to support rather than sitting around at the very back all the time. Attack Widhewmaker though...? You would have to have a very poor understanding of the game and extreme noobality to make such a poor judgement.

i don't get the hate for Hanzo either. i think he's pretty good for his abilities. sure, you might get shitty Hanzo players but good ones are useful. i should play him more now. let the hate flow through them.

Antiwhippy

It's ridiculous how much of a difference 1second makes with D.va's ult. So hard to get away in time now.

I mean people can still get away, but it's an ult, it should be able to catch people out from time to time instead of barely. You still need to use it smartly.

ramyeon

I mean people can still get away, but it's an ult, it should be able to catch people out from time to time instead of barely. You still need to use it smartly.
I know, sorry I didn't mean for that to sound like I was complaining or saying there should be a nerf. I suppose it may have sounded that way.

Veelk

Banned
I'll be honest here, I'd be tempted to leave the game if I were you. I wouldn't, but the temptation would be strong.

My W/L ratio has been plummeting in QP ever since Ana got introduced. Somehow, it just made the whole thing much, much stupider. I've kind of accepted that when Solo queuing, I'm often going to be thrown into games where the game is simply impossible to win. I've grown to like Ranked more, but I still feel I am not having the kind of fun I should be. I mean, I am having fun. I have intense matches and I like the structure of Ranked way more, tie breaking coin flip aside.

But it's not a perfect fit for me like Mobawatch was. For one, I still don't like the idea of 'nonviable heroes'. It's not that even a matter of balance, it's the fact that, say, Widowmaker requires such a high skill ceiling that to be a viable team member, the player needs to be unreasonably good to not be a detriment to the team. If that's the case, I'd want a mode where the punishment for losing isn't a severe rank drop or guaranteed loss, so playing her isn't such a risk. For another thing, I come out of matches often....relieved, more than excited. Again, matches can get intense, and sometimes I'm looking for that, but other times it's more of a "Thank god that's over" feeling, even if I've won.

A mode that has the structure of Competitive (or atleast without hero stacking) that doesn't track or rank you would be my ideal game mode. Right now, I'm stuck trying to pick between QP and Comp. Quickplay has roughly 60-70% of the players a bad match for me with varying degrees of severity. Comp is just a bit more intense than I'd like. One's too hot, the other is too cold, and I want one that's just right.

My W/L ratio has been plummeting in QP ever since Ana got introduced. Somehow, it just made the whole thing much, much stupider. I've kind of accepted that when Solo queuing, I'm often going to be thrown into games where the game is simply impossible to win. I've grown to like Ranked more, but I still feel I am not having the kind of fun I should be. I mean, I am having fun. I have intense matches and I like the structure of Ranked way more, tie breaking coin flip aside.

But it's not a perfect fit for me like Mobawatch was. For one, I still don't like the idea of 'nonviable heroes'. It's not that even a matter of balance, it's the fact that, say, Widowmaker requires such a high skill ceiling that to be a viable team member, the player needs to be unreasonably good to not be a detriment to the team. If that's the case, I'd want a mode where the punishment for losing isn't a severe rank drop or guaranteed loss, so playing her isn't such a risk. For another thing, I come out of matches often....relieved, more than excited. Again, matches can get intense, and sometimes I'm looking for that, but other times it's more of a "Thank god that's over" feeling, even if I've won.

A mode that has the structure of Competitive (or atleast without hero stacking) that doesn't track or rank you would be my ideal game mode. Right now, I'm stuck trying to pick between QP and Comp. Quickplay has roughly 60-70% of the players a bad match for me with varying degrees of severity. Comp is just a bit more intense than I'd like. One's too hot, the other is too cold, and I want one that's just right.
Have you tried playing with a proper team? Having at least one friend will make any bullshit tolerable, and even allows you to strategise a bit. The more friends, the more possibilities, obviously, but even just one can improve your match quality significantly.

Just got off a 6 hour session on PS4, super fun. There were SO many attack Widows on our team though, omfg. Like every second game there was a KOTH attack Widow, and they were bad.

While Widow can be great on certain payload maps, for KOTH she is practically useless, and even on payload maps the Widow needs to be competent. None of these Widows were. :p

Veelk

Banned
Have you tried playing with a proper team? Having at least one friend will make any bullshit tolerable, and even allows you to strategise a bit. The more friends, the more possibilities, obviously, but even just one can improve your match quality significantly.

Yeah. I don't have a huge amount of people on my friendslist, but I play with friends when I can, and yeah, ti's much better. Or even just playing with people that are in voice chat.

But I also do a lot of solo work, and it just sucks SO bad in QP. Most matches are just straight up bullshit. And I don't understand why, because before the update, QP wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as this.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you want though. I could always use more people to play with. PS username is KingofBlades2278

LiK

Just got off a 6 hour session on PS4, super fun. There were SO many attack Widows on our team though, omfg. Like every second game there was a KOTH attack Widow, and they were bad.

While Widow can be great on certain payload maps, for KOTH she is practically useless, and even on payload maps the Widow needs to be competent. None of these Widows were. :p

you're on PS4? gimme your PSN bro

MarioHead and I were in King's Row against a really good Widow. Killed a bunch of us but sadly, but the rest of her teammates weren't as effective. I destroyed them with my Junkrat.

Antiwhippy

I mean for better or worse people kinda treat QP as practice. Like, I'll still pay attention to team comp, and I'll still try my best to win, but I'm not necessarily going to play the characters I'm the best at because I do want to get some practice with the characters I want to learn.

Ikkarus

Widow on KotH are practically useless, at least with my experiences with them. They don't contest the point and once they've been spotted they are quickly swatted.

ekim

Widow on KotH are practically useless, at least with my experiences with them. They don't contest the point and once they've been spotted they are quickly swatted.

Only exception is here:
3.jpg

But Hanzo is better suited here.

Zomba13

I mean for better or worse people kinda treat QP as practice. Like, I'll still pay attention to team comp, and I'll still try my best to win, but I'm not necessarily going to play the characters I'm the best at because I do want to get some practice with the characters I want to learn.

I totally get being casual on QP and using it to practice and I don't get people who get pissed off at it. Like, where am I supposed to learn a character? Versus the brain dead AI? One on one with a friend in a custom game with brain dead bots?

Antiwhippy

Like, still try your best, but I'm still going to try it with the characters i want to practice with which might not be the best.

ramyeon

Quick Play is a joke tonight. It's like everyone's playing for the first time. Urghhh, and it keeps getting worse every game it feels like.

Zomba13

Like, still try your best, but I'm still going to try it with the characters i want to practice with which might not be the best.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not gonna practice my Ana in a game where we already have an Ana or we have a Mercy and Zen or something or if we need a Tank. Don't sabotage your QP game and the rest of your teams experience for selfish reasons, but if you pick Winston and you've not picked him before and we needed a Tank anyway I can't be mad at you for making an effort and learning a character.

Veelk

Banned
I totally get being casual on QP and using it to practice and I don't get people who get pissed off at it. Like, where am I supposed to learn a character? Versus the brain dead AI? One on one with a friend in a custom game with brain dead bots?

I don't mind that at all. But I just feel that I've disproportionately, somehow, got matched up with teammates that...lets say, are practicing and against teams that are pretty good.

It's just weird because I had like a 30-40 lead on my W/L ratio. Over the last week, it's gone down to merely 14. Something must have happened that I'm suddenly losing so many more games, and I'm basically playing the same as usual.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not gonna practice my Ana in a game where we already have an Ana or we have a Mercy and Zen or something or if we need a Tank. Don't sabotage your QP game and the rest of your teams experience for selfish reasons, but if you pick Winston and you've not picked him before and we needed a Tank anyway I can't be mad at you for making an effort and learning a character.

I had a match earlier where someone on our team went Mei and tried to block us from doing anything because I played Ana.

Pretty sure we won that match too.

Quick Play is a joke tonight. It's like everyone's playing for the first time. Urghhh, and it keeps getting worse every game it feels like.

I need more people on my PS4 friends list still playing this regularly because I feel like this all the time now, especially since Ana hit. My win percent in the last 2 weeks... Id be shocked if it were over 25%.

It gets tiring when the story goes "here's 5 teammates all under rank 50. They like long walks on the beach, and only play Genji, Hanzo, Widow and Ana. Torbjorn and Symmetra if on attack. They also think this is TDM. And have decided to get drunk and play with their feet. Blindfolded." Then Ill finish with 5 medals, typically 3-4 gold, 4-5 if Im playing a healer, while my team gets epically destroyed on a biblical level. And Im average. :/

That scenario has played out WAYYYY too often recently.

zoukka

Encountered the holy Triforce of dumb defence today.

Hanzo - Widow - Torbjörn

And when we got crushed because of these picks, the hanzo and widow player started to refer to their kill counts. Like clockwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom