• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need to sort out the MM, 9/10 times it will do this on console (whether its a 2 or 3 stack)

CoTvpwTWgAAbEFl.jpg

Its hard enough as it is queuing solo to rank up, without having to deal with stacked teams all the time

I hate it when I join a game and lose in less than a minute because I joined later.

Try this: Wait 2 minutes in the menu for a game to start. Load in, don't get to pick a character as immediately the game says DEFEAT! People left the game because salt, game lobby is closed, get kicked back to the menu for another 2 minutes...

Game just feels wrong since the patch. Zenyatta and Genji aren't as reliable as they used to be, McCree is back and Tracer becomes increasingly dominant.

How is Zenyatta less reliable? His orbs are faster now making it much easier for him to apply them. He doesn't die as often. His ult is soooooo much better.

you playing any Comp today? can i join?

Probably not. I stayed up way too late last night and I feel like shit today. Plus, I apparently need to call my parents after work today because of family drama or some shit...

I may be on for a sporadic QP match, but today isn't going to be a Comp day.

How is Zenyatta less reliable? His orbs are faster now making it much easier for him to apply them. He doesn't die as often. His ult is soooooo much better.

He got hit by the same nerf as Hanzo. His' orbs have smaller hit boxes, and thus require more precision. (Note that I don't agree that he isn't reliable. I'm just assuming this is what he meant)

Hitboxes are extremely finicky now. It was always easy to apply his orbs. I feel like the people who are saying he's amazing now simply didn't give Zenyatta a chance before. He died much too easily, but it was much easier to hit with his left click since they didn't royally fuck up projectile hitboxes.

And for all the incessant whining about Hanzo, he's the one affected the least by the complete removal of projectile hitboxes. Meanwhile, Genji is struggling to put out any consistent damage with his shuriken, Lucio's left click is phasing through people's faces, and double McCree has returned.

He got hit by the same nerf as Hanzo. His' orbs have smaller hit boxes, and thus require more precision. (Note that I don't agree that he isn't reliable. I'm just assuming this is what he meant)

It was a bit jarring at first combined with the slight damage reduction but even then once I got used to this change he came back better than ever.
a worthy tradeoff.

Anne

I feel like people are overreacting to the projectile hitbox nerf. It's really not that severe outside of wonky interactions that were happening before with level geometry. Anybody that is reasonably aiming at somebody who is exposed will still hit them like nothing changed.

Definitely not. I've only played about 30 hours of Zenyatta, but he feels overall nerfed. It's harder to hit people and each shot is less rewarding.

>nerfed

>saw usage rate increase over 90%

Nerfed bottom tier characters don't just start showing up in 94% of tournament matches.

The weirdest thing happened to me twice now playing on CP levels. My team is doing great and we win the first two rounds, but then a person in my team leaves. Since we've already won two rounds he's clearly not rage-quiting but either got DC'd or just had to leave, I guess? Regardless, 5v6 is a bit tough but certainly doable. But then another person on the team leaves and now we're 4v6. This exact scenario happened to me twice. Come on people... They shouldn't be leaving in the first place, but why people leave when we're clearly winning, I will never know. Of course we ended up losing the game.

I feel like people are overreacting to the projectile hitbox nerf. It's really not that severe outside of wonky interactions that were happening before with level geometry. Anybody that is reasonably aiming at somebody who is exposed will still hit them like nothing changed.

>nerfed

>saw usage rate increase over 90%

Nerfed bottom tier characters don't just start showing up in 94% of tournament matches.

Zenyatta's strength in competitive play has always been as a utility who can debuff enemies, and he was unused because his survivability was nonexistent. That's not what I liked about Zenyatta. I liked that he was a hybrid support/ attack. Now he's just a support who does slightly more damage than other supports.

Anne

Zenyatta's strength in competitive play has always been as a utility who can debuff enemies, and he was unused because his survivability was nonexistent. That's not what I liked about Zenyatta. I liked that he was a hybrid support/ attack. Now he's just a support who does slightly more damage than other supports.

The dude still out 1v1s tanks and DPS classes now, even more than before because of the health. In fact he's probably overpowered right now because he just straight causes way too much damage to be in play.

Apathy

slightly is a little bit of an understatement.

Discord is huge, and the reason why mercy has fallen out of favor. Instead of buffing one person at a time, zen can basically buff the whole team at the same time with discord on targets as everyone gets the benefit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The dude still out 1v1s tanks and DPS classes now, even more than before because of the health. In fact he's probably overpowered right now because he just straight causes way too much damage to be in play.

Yeah, discord especially lets him basically 1v1 the tank whose entire design is to jump in and kill squishy supports like him.

Kurita

Push the goddamn payloaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Hanzo uses his ult to kill a single ennemy who was being taken care of even though he could have saved the overtime timer.

Lost 4 games straight tonight, I'll just stop playing cause I'm gonna throw my keyboard through the window

Anne

Yeah, discord especially lets him basically 1v1 the tank whose entire design is to jump in and kill squishy supports like him.

Ye, I mean he does actually deal lower damage than before, just faster discord combined with the fact it takes longer to kill him makes it so he can win 1v1s now against pretty much anybody.

Really curious how they're going to balance him. I love the idea of 50% discord orb allowing teams to blow through problem players, but right now it seems like that will almost always lead to imbalanced interactions. As long as Zen is viable with that you can't make single shots deal over a certain amount of damage, and the meta is just going to have that element of speed to it.

Shit sucks, I guess we need a Zenyatta counter now? :v

Apathy

Ye, I mean he does actually deal lower damage than before, just faster discord combined with the fact it takes longer to kill him makes it so he can win 1v1s now against pretty much anybody.

Really curious how they're going to balance him. I love the idea of 50% discord orb allowing teams to blow through problem players, but right now it seems like that will almost always lead to imbalanced interactions. As long as Zen is viable with that you can't make single shots deal over a certain amount of damage, and the meta is just going to have that element of speed to it.

Shit sucks, I guess we need a Zenyatta counter now? :v

nee more ways to cleanse debuffs. Now that we got ana sleeps, a hero made that can cleanse stuff like that, discord orb, mei freeze and stuns would be cool

Anne

While I'm on support balance/meta problems, Blizzard please delete Lucio speed boost. Getting tired of seeing speed boost push define every other fight at high level.

I like that he's a support with the primary reason to pick him being something other than healing. Love it. Speed boost is really another one of those "this can only cause problems" abilities though :T

Bliddo

Holy shit.
I just got the "The floor is lava" trophy.
I'm going to put this on my CV. I'll print the screenshot and frame it.

3DShovel

People seriously need to STOP rushing the point by themselves. Especially in competitive. Keep telling people to wait for me to distract the enemy team but these retards just go one after the other and get killed instantly by the full team defending the point.

Playing with people who have IQ this low is so fucking frustrating.

Hitboxes are extremely finicky now. It was always easy to apply his orbs. I feel like the people who are saying he's amazing now simply didn't give Zenyatta a chance before. He died much too easily, but it was much easier to hit with his left click since they didn't royally fuck up projectile hitboxes.

And for all the incessant whining about Hanzo, he's the one affected the least by the complete removal of projectile hitboxes. Meanwhile, Genji is struggling to put out any consistent damage with his shuriken, Lucio's left click is phasing through people's faces, and double McCree has returned.

I actually specifically picked up Zenyatta and played him quite a bit before his buff because I wanted to know how much he's improved. I'm still hitting people as well as before, I'm just not getting AS many headshots, and that's perfectly fine.
I still regularly get medals for damage done with him, his hitboxes are perfectly fine. Also, "royally fuck up projectile hitboxes"? Have you even SEEN the projectile hitboxes before the patch? They were fucking massive. You could get headshot while being entirely behind cover. They're still quite generous in comparison to hitscan hitboxes, they just aren't the size of a living room anymore.
Zenyatta is perfectly fine. Even if you argue his DPS capabilities have gone down (and tbh they really haven't to a significant margin), his utility has gone up massively and his orb travel time WAS an issue (since mid- to long-range orbing enemies or allies would be very difficult if they took cover).

And you don't see double McCree because of his hitscan hitboxes, you see double McCree because he's better at doing sniping damage than the dedicated sniper characters, and out-DPSes basically all the other DPSes.

ksan

the biggest problem with this game is that from a game theoretical perspective (as in the microeconomic term) you have a disadvantage with lower ping due to mixed strategies being prefered instead of one pure strategy with higher ping, thanks client side prediction

LiK

Probably not. I stayed up way too late last night and I feel like shit today. Plus, I apparently need to call my parents after work today because of family drama or some shit...

I may be on for a sporadic QP match, but today isn't going to be a Comp day.

alright, cool. hope it's nothing serious. we were doing great last time with randoms. wanna reach 55 so i can be happy and not care about Comp anymore lol. stuck in solo hell.

Been away on vacation for a week- looks like I missed A LOT. Mercy has fallen out of favor? Yikes.

nah, Ana has gone down in usage on console tho from the games i played.

the biggest problem with this game is that from a game theoretical perspective (as in the microeconomic term) you have a disadvantage with lower ping due to mixed strategies being prefered instead of one pure strategy with higher ping, thanks client side prediction

That's been a problem with online games ever since their inception. There's not much game developers can do to accustom low ping players.

Crzy1

Just got the best box I'm probably ever going to get.
Good one, sucks that both skins are for Reinhardt, but at least you can mix it up. Best I've gotten is the jester skin for Junkrat with 500 coins and an emote. Trying to decide which skin I want next, got the Captain Amari skin for Ana yesterday from a box, think I might get one for McCree after 200 or so more coins. I'm past the point where I have all my favorites, may just start saving coins for when they decide to release more.

alright, cool. hope it's nothing serious. we were doing great last time with randoms. wanna reach 55 so i can be happy and not care about Comp anymore lol. stuck in solo hell.

Yeah, would look forward to it. I've actually dropped from 73 to 69 since the latest balance patch. I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I know I've had a spot of bad luck with leavers and such, but I also know my own game is way off. Things like being unable to kill a Zenyatta as a Tracer, or dying to McCree as Pharah.

ksan

That's been a problem with online games ever since their inception. There's not much game developers can do to accustom low ping players.

naah, not really, just stop catering to people with awful ping
and in this case, blizz is catering to ppl with >~200 ping, I'd be fine with 50 or so (even though it would still severely affect the game play)

LiK

Yeah, would look forward to it. I've actually dropped from 73 to 69 since the latest balance patch. I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I know I've had a spot of bad luck with leavers and such, but I also know my own game is way off. Things like being unable to kill a Zenyatta as a Tracer, or dying to McCree as Pharah.

those buffs/tweaks certainly helped them. McCree is def a threat against Pharah again from range. got shot down from sneaky McCrees recently. Zen is also way harder to kill now. he actually scares me now,

Jarate

Banned
Lik and Kor, do you wanna do comp, I just ate, so maybe that will power me up for my garbage play

Thread needs more salt to power the good players

Owzers

This game gets so awkward without communication, we were attacking point B Anubis and we never had a good team push despite several people having alts, i ended up squandering my zenny ult because we never started to push anywhere as a group and i didn't know when to use it without that.

LiK

Lik and Kor, do you wanna do comp, I just ate, so maybe that will power me up for my garbage play

Thread needs more salt to power the good players

not sure when i'll be on but sure. just a warning that i don't use a mic so if that bugs ya, don't play with me lol

not sure when i'll be on but sure. just a warning that i don't use a mic so if that bugs ya, don't play with me lol

Yeah, Lik has a coded system he uses.

So like, you can tell him something, and he'll use the "Understood" emote, but if he ever uses the "Hello" emote, that's him doing his best Biff Tannen from Back to the Future impersonation. That's his way of telling you you suck.

Then, if he ever uses his "Thanks" emote, that's usually a sarcastic response because he just respawned, and you didn't save him before he died.

None of this is true, I'm just being a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom