• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do people choose Winston? I rarely ever see him around.

I usually see him as a counter pick when the enemy team has too many small agile targets. Genji, Tracer, and Lucios basically.

He's a very unique tank in that he is a disruptor, where most other tanks work best when you play close to your teammtes, Winston works best by jumping behind enemy lines and causing chaos. This means he typically gets fewer kills, but helps other people get kills out of the confusion.

Soulflarz

Banned
better than 99.95% of reapers on quick play, 99.71% ranked.

I'm so close to being best on psn. So close.

Then I'm the authority on edgelords :3

TheDanimal

better than 99.95% of reapers on quick play, 99.71% ranked.

I'm so close to being best on psn. So close.

Then I'm the authority on edgelords :3
I'll botch my heals to make sure you're never the top edgelord :3

How's everyone's ranks look? Genuinely curious to see where people have landed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like Zenyatta needs his Ult to be more Vulnerable. Almost everyone in the game has something that can cancel their Ult. Some of them are abilities, some of them are other Ults, but the only thing can seems to counter Zenyatta's Ult is another Zenyatta Ult. I think if he is healing himself as he is healing others at 300hp per second, then the invulnerability seems like over kill.

Maybe let him be susceptible to Sleep, Freeze, Flash, or whatever else.

The one "counter" to it even if it could be called that was hooking him away from the team, but with his speedboost that barely does anything now unless you're on specific koth maps and can drop him in a pit. Though he's also a lot harder to hook now.

I think they'd have to be careful if they let you interrupt it though, he has to be right with his team for it to do anything so an aoe stun like flash would make it do nothing at all. But there do seem to be very few ults that can get through it, dva and mccree are all I can think of.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Biotic grenade doesn't typically have a large enough AoE range to hit that many characters to really "Counter" it.

And burst damage is sometimes hard to come by. And if it is, you're talking about multiple people using multiple abilities to kill a single target that isn't the actual person using the ult.

But if you hit 2-3 people that your ulting character is targeting it's still a pretty good result.

Also with all the dvas around zarya has a good burst damage wombo combo partner.

The Ana buff is definitely appreciated and the rate of fire / clip size buff will definitely make her easier / more effective to use ... it also makes her a much more effective attack hero. We'll see how that turns out, taking out Pharahs was already pretty easy.

They did nothing to Zen, Mercy will forever be lost in the ether with Symmetra.

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

ib8nJGm.png

Apathy

The ana buff was needed. On paper ana before the buff healed more than any of the other healers, but in practice it's just can't realistically be played perfectly enough to match the math. The changes should help her get picked more often. This buff though is amazing for really really good ana players.

The ana buff was needed. On paper ana before the buff healed more than any of the other healers, but in practice it's just can't realistically be played perfectly enough to match the math. The changes should help her get picked more often. This buff though is amazing for really really good ana players.

The main problem is Ana's line of sight issues. Sure she can theoretically heal a single target faster than Mercy can, but when you have a whole team piled on top of each other, you can only heal the one in the back. meaning the Reinhart or Roadhog, or whatever that needs the heals isn't getting them. This wouldn't be an issue if she had access to the regular sniper perches, but because she doesn't, she has to basically fight through her own teammates to heal her desired targets.

I've noticed I play so much better on the KotH maps. I think I hit a lucky streak and thats what helped me climb up to 73. This last weekends I played a lot of Capture and Hybrid maps, and I did terribly.
I definitely do better on KOTH

Both times I've ranked way up (to way beyond my skill level IMO) I've gone on great win streaks with randoms. Earlier This week I went like 14-2, then today another nice streak. When I was plummeting down to 54 it was insane how unlucky I was getting.

E:
This is honestly really impressive. Nice job!
Thanks. I'm honestly shocked.

I definitely do better on KOTH

Both times I've ranked way up (to way beyond my skill level IMO) I've gone on great win streaks with randoms. Earlier This week I went like 14-2, then today another nice streak. When I was plummeting down to 54 it was insane how unlucky I was getting.

E:

Thanks. I'm honestly shocked.

Hmm... would you say IYO that you gained more skill rank in games where your stats were through the roof? Or did it just seem random at times.

So after some testing it seems like McCrees range is actually a little over 20m. I'd say a little after 21m is when he starts seeing damage falloff. So he essentially gained 2m from his launch max range.

FTH does feel a little nicer but I am not sure if it is still going to be viable over LMB headshots even with the speed increase and animation changes. Will have to try it out in some games against tracers/genjis to see how it feels.

I think we might see some adjustments again in the next couple of days.

Edit: If these changes stick I expect to see Pharah come back into the meta again. Especially if they do something about discord.

How often do people choose Winston? I rarely ever see him around.

He's played quite often in tourney matches, but he usually is one of two tanks, and is more a hybrid between flanker and tank rather than going specifically in either direction. Shares a lot with Roadhog in that regard.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's definitely steak based.

Sort of
We dragged a friend for our crazy streak yesterday (like 10-2 for him) and he placed 60s, but our 3 losses dropped him a rank each match and us half a rank roughly, because his stats put him in line with 50 or so.

Pretty sure it just doesn't want you playing way out of your league or way under your league.

Nimby

Banned
I want to play, and I don't want to play at the same time. Just de-ranked from 53 all the way to 48 in the past 2 days.

Hmm... would you say IYO that you gained more skill rank in games where your stats were through the roof? Or did it just seem random at times.
Stats help a bit. But the main thing is definitely what levels are in the game. I was stuck in the mid 50's forever because I kept getting put in games with high 40's/low 50's so when I lost it killed but when I won it was 'expected' so I didn't gain much. If you are the highest level in the game I honestly think it's like a 2:1 win rate just to break even. When you get to the high 50's low 60's the opposite happens. I was getting put in games with high 60's/70's and winning those games ranks you up almost a full level, losing is less than half.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I want to play, and I don't want to play at the same time. Just de-ranked from 53 all the way to 48 in the past 2 days.

The purple coins payout at the end of the season is based on your sessions highest instead of your current rank i think? I could be wrong.

Soulflarz

Banned
Stats help a bit. But the main thing is definitely what levels are in the game. I was stuck in the mid 50's forever because I kept getting put in games with high 40's/low 50's so when I lost it killed but when I won it was 'expected' so I didn't gain much. If you are the highest level in the game I honestly think it's like a 2:1 win rate just to break even. When you get to the high 50's low 60's the opposite happens. I was getting put in games with high 60's/70's and winning those games ranks you up almost a full level, losing is less than half.

I've been highest in the vast majority of our matches due to being a half dozen above the rest of my group and it's a 1:2 rate regardless.
The rank of your opponents doesn't affect your rank up at all, and if it does it's negligible. I've all but deconfirmed the idea of that and the streak bonus, I'm just fairly certain you get these 'bonuses' under the same notion of your group outplaying your entire skill level.

Basically with that info above I can safely deconfirm being highest rank meaning anything. We've been overdog by 3 ranks, we've been underdog by 3, we've been highest in the game, etc. Still a full rank a match and 40% or so on a loss.
And it's a full rank to the dot, 100%. Theres definitely a system in place to rank you up 100% if you pass some criteria, since I rarely get 80% or such, it's usually a 40% or so tick, or a huge boost for winning of a full rank.

I've been highest in the vast majority of our matches due to being a half dozen above the rest of my group and it's a 1:2 rate regardless.
The rank of your opponents doesn't affect your rank up at all, and if it does it's negligible. I've all but deconfirmed the idea of that and the streak bonus, I'm just fairly certain you get these 'bonuses' under the same notion of your group outplaying your entire skill level.

Basically with that info above I can safely deconfirm being highest rank meaning anything. We've been overdog by 3 ranks, we've been underdog by 3, we've been highest in the game, etc. Still a full rank a match and 40% or so on a loss.
And it's a full rank to the dot, 100%. Theres definitely a system in place to rank you up 100% if you pass some criteria, since I rarely get 80% or such, it's usually a 40% or so tick, or a huge boost for winning of a full rank.
I mean I can only speak from experience. I admit some of it may be confirmation bias but the mid 50's were absolute hell. It took that 14-2 streak to go from 55 to 61ish.

61 to now 66 has been not much better than 50% win rate.

Soulflarz

Banned
I mean I can only speak from experience. I admit some of it may be confirmation bias but the mid 50's were absolute hell. It took that 14-2 streak to go from 55 to 61ish.

Prob just got good :3 It's pretty hard to notice improvement
I still just do my thing, my lucio just does his thing. Obviously we're doing something right, you just probably don't individually notice it.

Interestingly, this game strongly discourages playing out of your rank though. You actively get your rank shot down if you're playing worse than your rank and vice versa, probably to offset where placement lands you and if you have large improvements.

Also why 50s and 70s don't mesh well- the 70s just maime the 50s and it's not really fair.

LiK

Mid-50's is a real gamble. Either have a great team or people who don't seem to know what the fuck to do. It makes soloing a fucking pain. I'd rather play with just one guy so it's not complete solo dudes. Partial groups always work better in Comp.

Ramirez

I only get to enjoy sniper McCree for a week?

This patch better be late on consoles. :VVV

I don't think they should nerf his range on consoles, but he definitely needs the FTH buff. It's ridiculous that FTH doesn't kill Genji/Tracer/Reaper with any kind of consistency anymore.

Played a 4-star last night (with and then against), I'm creeping into close to the 2nd star... I feel like I play a lot already, how much do you have to play to have 4 stars???

Thats the thing though, the criteria, I'm starting to believe the idea as long as you outperform the average of w/e character youre playing as on w/e map youre currently on that (and win of course) that you'll get massive amounts of rank.

But then again that seems like it would punished players that play different roles on the map, while rewarding "Main" Players.

Soulflarz

Banned
Welp, triple agreeing, this is new for me

I don't think they should nerf his range on consoles, but he definitely needs the FTH buff. It's ridiculous that FTH doesn't kill Genji/Tracer/Reaper with any kind of consistency anymore.

Agreed, because it's hard to aim with him on console vs PC, and FTH is really needed on console for close range. I know people can aim but it's still less on average than PC which is what everything is balanced for.

Mid-50's is a real gamble. Either have a great team or people who don't seem to know what the fuck to do. It makes soloing a fucking pain. I'd rather play with just one guy so it's not complete solo dudes. Partial groups always work better in Comp.

It really is, mid 50s is hell on earth, you basically need to find multiple people who are of the mindset of "okay this is boring lets get to 65" or need to get lucky to get out of that hellhole.

Thats the thing though, the criteria, I'm starting to believe the idea as long as you outperform the average of w/e character youre playing as on w/e map youre currently on that (and win of course) that you'll get massive amounts of rank.

But then again that seems like it would punished players that play different roles on the map, while rewarding "Main" Players.

This is pretty much correct, maybe not the character on the map or that in specific, but you'll notice people who are top 1% on overbuff and use their character have significant gains compared to the others in their group. This also discourages playing with friends sadly, because if they can't keep up with that rank gain, you can end up too high for the group and be pulling in harder opponents they can't handle, similarly to if you hit 65 and joined your friends in the 40s. Thankfully my group doesn't have this issue too much nowadays, but it really isn't friendly to friends who aren't similar in skill, annoyingly. It's not even that they might not be able to hold their own there eventually, it just feels like getting steamrolled when theres two people ten levels higher than the rest of your opponents, as if they're untouchable. I remember fearing a 59 at the start of comp.

LiK

Also, Blizzard will never get McCree right if they keep tweaking him like this. I think if I mained him I would be pretty annoyed at this point.

Cade

They should take McCree out of the game for a month and figure out what they want to do with him because this balancing is ridiculous. Now he's back to annihilating everything at any range. I get that he needed to be viable vs Reaper, but

They should take McCree out of the game for a month and figure out what they want to do with him because this balancing is ridiculous. Now he's back to annihilating everything at any range. I get that he needed to be viable vs Reaper, but

His range just got nerfed pretty hard. It is only 2m more than it was at launch for around 20m so he is no longer a "sniper" like he has been since Ana patch dropped.

The flash+FTH changes are hit and miss as I find FTH unreliable but it will help him against 200hp and under heroes.

Ramirez

If this is what's actually going on, it is incredibly stupid. I'm inclined to believe it is, because I really don't main anyone in a game, and even when I win, I get maybe 25% of a rank up, but when I lose, I'm pretty much guaranteed to rank down.

I thought Blizzard was behind the idea of not having a main in this game, and yet the whole ranking system is designed around outperforming the character you start with compared to everyone else? lol

Prob just got good :3 It's pretty hard to notice improvement
I still just do my thing, my lucio just does his thing. Obviously we're doing something right, you just probably don't individually notice it.

Interestingly, this game strongly discourages playing out of your rank though. You actively get your rank shot down if you're playing worse than your rank and vice versa, probably to offset where placement lands you and if you have large improvements.

Also why 50s and 70s don't mesh well- the 70s just maime the 50s and it's not really fair.
Before when I had a 70 on my team I would basically expect them to be MUCH better than anyone else in the game and essentially carry us to victory. That's obviously unfair because I am one decent win streak away from 70 and I am definitely prone to a bad game now and then. I definitely have times where I'm the best player in the game
when I play as Roadhog
but just today I was the highest level in a game on Anubis and my McCree was stinking up the joint. I brought it together a bit at the end and we won in sudden death, and I think I came away with a couple silvers. But I hate having that much pressure on me.

I'd much rather be the mid 60 player with a bunch of 68-75's and hopefully surprise everyone.

Cade

His range just got nerfed pretty hard. It is only 2m more than it was at launch for around 20m so he is no longer a "sniper" like he has been since Ana patch dropped.

The flash+FTH changes are hit and miss as I find FTH unreliable but it will help him against 200hp and under heroes.

Ah, okay. He still feels very accurate, but good to know pharah isn't an instant lose vs him anymore

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wouldn't you massively outperform on characters like dva and zen after they got buffed? That's pretty dumb if so. And yeah, would also punish people that change characters during the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom