• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Yeah, Lik has a coded system he uses.

So like, you can tell him something, and he'll use the "Understood" emote, but if he ever uses the "Hello" emote, that's him doing his best Biff Tannen from Back to the Future impersonation. That's his way of telling you you suck.

Then, if he ever uses his "Thanks" emote, that's usually a sarcastic response because he just respawned, and you didn't save him before he died.

None of this is true, I'm just being a shit.

"Understood" is actually accurate. as for the other emotes, up to interpretation.

I still regularly get medals for damage done with him, his hitboxes are perfectly fine. Also, "royally fuck up projectile hitboxes"? Have you even SEEN the projectile hitboxes before the patch? They were fucking massive. You could get headshot while being entirely behind cover. They're still quite generous in comparison to hitscan hitboxes, they just aren't the size of a living room anymore.
Zenyatta is perfectly fine. Even if you argue his DPS capabilities have gone down (and tbh they really haven't to a significant margin), his utility has gone up massively and his orb travel time WAS an issue (since mid- to long-range orbing enemies or allies would be very difficult if they took cover).

They ARE hitscan hitboxes. There are no more projectile hitboxes.

They were not massive. They were completely normal by the standards of arena-style/ Quake-derived shooters.

Hitboxes are not and never have been 1:1 with character models.

Ye, I mean he does actually deal lower damage than before, just faster discord combined with the fact it takes longer to kill him makes it so he can win 1v1s now against pretty much anybody.

Really curious how they're going to balance him. I love the idea of 50% discord orb allowing teams to blow through problem players, but right now it seems like that will almost always lead to imbalanced interactions. As long as Zen is viable with that you can't make single shots deal over a certain amount of damage, and the meta is just going to have that element of speed to it.

Shit sucks, I guess we need a Zenyatta counter now? :v

That is what Reinhardt is for. Plus that Zenyatta himself is still very easy to kill. Tracer, Genji, Reaper, Pharah, and Winstons who don't just W+M1 all counter Zenyatta.

caesar

Banned
Defence heros are terrible right now:

Bastion: very easy to counter, just pick soldier

Widow: just pick mccree

Hanzo: lol

Tjorborn: predictable as shit, very easy to counter

Mei: probably the worst hero in the game in all honesty

Junkrat: can be decent but is easily countered tbh, would rather be pharah

Meanwhile in offence we have Tracer, reaper, mcskill, pharah and genji. All of whom are better on defence than the defence chars, if played properly. Wtf blizz

I-hate-u

Meanwhile in offence we have Tracer, reaper, mcskill, pharah and genji. All of whom are better on defence than the defence chars, if played properly. Wtf blizz

Excuuuuuuse me?

LiK

play against my Junkrat and see if you survive. ;)

Excuuuuuuse me?

Yeah, I was just floating around the Overwatch subreddit and it's crazy how different some of my opinions are compared to the masses over there.

I didn't realize Ana was seen underwhelming, and that she was in need of some Buffs.

I also didn't realize that almost everyone considers the Defensive heroes dead weight. I mean sure they are context sensitive, and their play styles seem to be the most unique among all the heroes, but still.

I guess this is why I don't ever both with tournaments and such. I just like the play the game as whatever the mood strikes me.

Basically. It's been that way for a while now. Defense loses far more ground for every teammate death, and they lose an entire point for getting wiped. I don't want the game to feel overwhelming for offense like it did in beta, but playing on defense is pretty hellish right now.

Excuuuuuuse me?

Takes too long to kill anybody, doesn't often have a very well-defined role in team fights, ability can be a detriment just as much or more than it helps..

LiK

I live in Korea. :p

tumblr_nm14m92Et71s2amxao5_400.gif

I-hate-u

A good Mei is an unkill-able roach with a gun that slows people down, and can snipe from far like Mecree (albiet not as fast). And with the whole self healing counting towards ultimate, she gets her blizzard so often now.

She is my favorite defense hero along side Junkrat.

Junkrat and Torbjörn are still the real deal, and emergency Bastion at the end of Anubis or King's Row works surprisingly well against pubs so long as they don't have a great Phrarah. And then there's Symmetra who's pretty much a defensive hero. And many offense heroes work great on defense too.

Funny enough, I guess the masses have a point.

I typically discourage players from using Torb on defense for Comp because it seems like when he dies, he's gone. It's very rare to see one make it back to the point to do anything worth it. I guess the same could be said of all the Defensive heroes. Because so many of them have such slow movement and mobility skills, they're out of the game much longer than their offensive counter parts.

Honestly, of all of them, I would argue that Mei has the most promise for competitive use. She has the ability to cut off paths, separate the enemy from their healers, and create chokepoints.

Hanzo and Widow are just extra DPS Typically stationary, with the occasional wall hack. Torb and Bastion are both basically stationary targets. Junkrat is unpredictable, but people don't like playing with RNG as much as they do predictability.

Funny enough, I guess the masses have a point.

I typically discourage players from using Torb on defense for Comp because it seems like when he dies, he's gone. It's very rare to see one make it back to the point to do anything worth it. I guess the same could be said of all the Defensive heroes. Because so many of them have such slow movement and mobility skills, they're out of the game much longer than their offensive counter parts.

Honestly, of all of them, I would argue that Mei has the most promise for competitive use. She has the ability to cut off paths, separate the enemy from their healers, and create chokepoints.

Hanzo and Widow are just extra DPS Typically stationary, with the occasional wall hack. Torb and Bastion are both basically stationary targets. Junkrat is unpredictable, but people don't like playing with RNG as much as they do predictability.

Junkrat puts pressure on Reinhardt's shield, which is pretty important.

Hanzo is a really misunderstood hero. He's in the Defense category, but he's as good or better on offense. Pushing up with his team, he can always be providing sight, can make quick picks, put out tons of damage with Scattershot, and clear the way with his ult even when it doesn't hit anybody. In competitive I assume he only sees average use because people at that level are so good with flankers/ Pharah that he can be a risky pick.

What drives me nuts about Ana, when I play her, is that I'm lucky to get a single medal out of everything. Because of her playstyle and kit, she's not meant to get gold for anything.

She heals so little that Roadhog can outpace her pretty easily, even if she is the only/primary healer. Her shots are going half towards friendly, half towards enemies, so damage done isn't going to be high.

Her being a sniper means Objective time and likely Objective kills is right out the window.

Which leaves Eliminations...

Show me a team with Ana having a Gold in Eliminations, and I'll show you a team with 3 or 4 leavers, and 2 or 3 replacements on it.

Junkrat puts pressure on Reinhardt's shield, which is pretty important.

Hanzo is a really misunderstood hero. He's in the Defense category, but he's as good or better on offense. Pushing up with his team, he can always be providing sight, can make quick picks, put out tons of damage with Scattershot, and clear the way with his ult even when it doesn't hit anybody. In competitive I assume he only sees average use because people at that level are so good with flankers/ Pharah that he can be a risky pick.

Everyone should put pressure on Rein's shield. Everyone... at all times.

It drives me nuts when people see that shield and just figure either 'someone else will take care of it', or 'I guess I'll wait for him to drop it or turn around.'

I know Hanzo can be better for Offense than Defense, just like Torb is great and slowly taking ground from the enemy side.

It drives me nuts when people see that shield and just figure either 'someone else will take care of it', or 'I guess I'll wait for him to drop it or turn around.'

I know Hanzo can be better for Offense than Defense, just like Torb is great and slowly taking ground from the enemy side.

Well duh. But fast reload + big damage + biggest target in the game means he can effortlessly deplete Reinhardt's shield, rather than everyone chipping away at it with their bullets or whatever while they still have 5 other enemy players to worry about.
People being terrified of Reinhardt is part of what makes defense so hard to play right now. You need to STOP him, you don't just give up ground and hope he dies on his own somehow.

caesar

Banned
Junkrat and Torbjörn are still the real deal, and emergency Bastion at the end of Anubis or King's Row works surprisingly well against pubs so long as they don't have a great Phrarah. And then there's Symmetra who's pretty much a defensive hero. And many offense heroes work great on defense too.

If you have some decent players on your team they will usually run over the junkrat and torb within the first minute. By the time they get back from spawn the rest of the team will be wiped and the point lost.

The attacking team will now all have ults with which they will steamroll point b/push payload super hard.

Nudull

Banned
I don't really mind the low likelyhood on gold metals when I'm playing Ana, considering that she is a support. What I enjoy so much is that I can go back and forth on healing and sniping enemies with ease, on top of letting my teammate's handle the brunt of the enemy attacks with Ana's special helping out on occasion.

Ramirez

I just don't ever see Ana being viable in any serious fashion on console without a major overhaul. I would have much rather her been built around thrown grenades, as opposed to sniping teammates.

Gator86

Literally no one does this on console in the mid 60s. I don't get it. You can shred his shield in a couple seconds, yet people see it and just scatter like it's going to jump over and kill the whole team. So fucking frustrating.

Overall, it feels like that's the console players response to literally everything that requires effort. Oh, is that Tracer hard to hit? Ignore her. Pharah is flying all over? Ignore her. Rein shield blocking your path? Run away. Absolutely maddening.

Patch notes

Big buff to Ana's healing, +20% fire rate and +25% magazine size.

Nerfed McCree's range by 10m, increased FOH fire speed and recovery speed from flashbang.

Man, I wish some of this stuff was server side. I hate that I have to wait a week or two to get these smaller changes.

I remember SMNC had server side adjustments for their game. So these smaller balances changes didn't require a patch or anything involving an approval process to change. I wonder what keeps blizzard from doing this.

Literally no one does this on console in the mid 60s. I don't get it. You can shred his shield in a couple seconds, yet people see it and just scatter like it's going to jump over and kill the whole team. So fucking frustrating.

Overall, it feels like that's the console players response to literally everything that requires effort. Oh, is that Tracer hard to hit? Ignore her. Pharah is flying all over? Ignore her. Rein shield blocking your path? Run away. Absolutely maddening.

Yeah... that sounds about right...

It's like playing with a really annoying coworker who's mantra is "That's not my job, I'm not paid to do that!"

peakish

The McCree balance struggle.
This at least boosts his anti-flanking ability instead of competing with midrange DPS as much. Good that they're focusing in on his job although I don't understand why the previous range wasn't changed after PTR feedback.

That's kind of an issue I have with the Zenyatta buffs. He definitely needed some but they boosted not only his health but orb efficiency and ult. IMHO he feels more like a healing midrange DPS than a glass cannon now, stronger but less unique. If he gets nerfed I hope they return a bit more of his flavour.

Gator86

Yeah... that sounds about right...

It's like playing with a really annoying coworker who's mantra is "That's not my job, I'm not paid to do that!"

Yeah, people just want easy kills and PotM. It's just endless flanking until they can jump on an enemy at half health looking the other direction. If that's not the case ",fuck it, I'm out of here."

Hopefully the FTH+flash buff should allow him to deal with flankers easier, mainly Reaper.

That was the moment I stopped playing McCree after the patch. I caught a Reaper sneaking on the side platform on Volskaya. Flash+FTH on him and he didn't die, but instead got two quick shots on me and killed me.

This at least boosts his anti-flanking ability instead of competing with midrange DPS as much. Good that they're focusing in on his job although I don't understand why the previous range wasn't changed after PTR feedback.

That's kind of an issue I have with the Zenyatta buffs. He definitely needed some but they boosted not only his health but orb efficiency and ult. IMHO he feels more like a healing midrange DPS than a glass cannon now, stronger but less unique. If he gets nerfed I hope they return a bit more of his flavour.

I feel like Zenyatta needs his Ult to be more Vulnerable. Almost everyone in the game has something that can cancel their Ult. Some of them are abilities, some of them are other Ults, but the only thing can seems to counter Zenyatta's Ult is another Zenyatta Ult. I think if he is healing himself as he is healing others at 300hp per second, then the invulnerability seems like over kill.

Maybe let him be susceptible to Sleep, Freeze, Flash, or whatever else.

Hopefully the FTH+flash buff should allow him to deal with flankers easier, mainly Reaper.

That was the moment I stopped playing McCree after the patch. I caught a Reaper sneaking on the side platform on Volskaya. Flash+FTH on him and he didn't die, but instead got two quick shots on me and killed me.

Yeah seriously. I'm worried that McCree will still be too weak to effectively take care of Reaper, but this buff could work out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like Zenyatta needs his Ult to be more Vulnerable. Almost everyone in the game has something that can cancel their Ult. Some of them are abilities, some of them are other Ults, but the only thing can seems to counter Zenyatta's Ult is another Zenyatta Ult. I think if he is healing himself as he is healing others at 300hp per second, then the invulnerability seems like over kill.

Maybe let him be susceptible to Sleep, Freeze, Flash, or whatever else.

Biotic grenade.

Also he can't out heal burst damage.

Biotic grenade.

Also he can't out heal burst damage.

Biotic grenade doesn't typically have a large enough AoE range to hit that many characters to really "Counter" it.

And burst damage is sometimes hard to come by. And if it is, you're talking about multiple people using multiple abilities to kill a single target that isn't the actual person using the ult.

jotun?

Recently started trying out Genji. Two major observations so far.

1. The inconsistency of the maps is really damn annoying. There's too little indication of which walls you can or can't climb over, which rooftops or ledges can be stood on, and generally where the invisible barriers are. It's bad enough when playing Pharah and Winston, but the climbing inconsistencies take it to another level.

2. Killing McCree with deflect headshots is the best thing in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom