• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, from a week or two of talking about what makes rank move and why playing with friends doesn't work well necessarily, I've finally realized why playing with friends outside of your rank doesn't work.

Friend one placed 50, as did you. You are supposed to be a 20 because you're awful, but you got carried and placed well enough. Your friend is actually a pro (lets go with seagull) and is supposed to be 80+. You play any given 60 matches and go 30-30. However, because you are at an inflated rank, your wins are only 40% of a rank or so, and your losses are a full rank. You will end at roughly 32 and your friend will end at roughly 68, even though you both played the exact same matches. By this point, you will be placing with people so good you cannot hold your own at all and will hate this game more, dragging your friends rank down slightly every match unless he can carry you harder.

This is why the game is unfriendly to a variety of skill levels playing together- it puts a crazy wall up that makes it increasingly hard to play outside your skill level or to be carried by others. It's better for a 50 to play within his level to get better than for a 70 to carry him, since the game will push back and throw him right back down to 50 after awhile.

From this we can also take away that a win/loss is solely a trigger as to whether or not the game will check if you're outplaying your rank or need to be thrown back a bit to learn how to play at your current rank. A win/loss doesn't actually affect your rank that much other than the 40%, as it's just trying to throw you into your generalized skill range. This is why so many people are stuck between 45 and 55, because the game doesn't believe they truly are top 15% in the world, and as such, it throws them right back to where they were, unless you go on a great win streak by chance and get out of it for a bit. It does not care if you went 2-1, you can still end as a 25, and someone with a 33% win rate can still hypothetically end as an 80. Improvements are more important than winning every match for ranking up, assuming you aren't running into the varied group rank issue described above.

jotun?

Also, Blizzard will never get McCree right if they keep tweaking him like this. I think if I mained him I would be pretty annoyed at this point.
IMO, he would need fundamental design changes to ever be well balanced. A high damage hitscan head-clicker just doesn't fit well among a cast that mostly lack that kind of potential. He'll always either be overpowered at high skill levels or useless at lower levels (or both).

Animator

I think mccree is at a good place now with the last patch. He doesnt two shot you from widowmaker distances and his fan the hammer is actually useful now.

brian!

this mcree nerf feels alright, i def feel the hit on the dropoff and it's gonna take some time to get used to it
havent tested fth too much, still in the habit of trying to left click even close up

still killing pharah quick, just not from across the map

IMO, he would need fundamental design changes to ever be well balanced. A high damage hitscan head-clicker just doesn't fit well among a cast that mostly lack that kind of potential. He'll always either be overpowered at high skill levels or useless at lower levels (or both).

I think they need to reduce the spread of FTH slightly so you won't get that random bullet that shoots randomly to the side and misses most smaller targets (i.e. flankers which McCree is supposed to counter) and give him the ability to 1 headshot 1 bodyshot at around 25m.

When they have the time to they need to sit down and figure out how to rework his kit to fit his anti-flanker role or just change it completely.

Ramirez

I truly do not understand matching a 58 into a game full of 70-76's. The skill gap there is colossal, and no team will overcome it, ugh.

Adversity is an opportunity for change.
Haha, usually I just skip to the last page of the thread first to see what the current convo is, then I read previous pages, so I saw that post and thought "da fuck is this about hero stacking being punished?" But then I saw the previous page

-___-

Soulflarz

Banned
I truly do not understand matching a 58 into a game full of 70-76's. The skill gap there is colossal, and no team will overcome it, ugh.

See my post explaining how the skill number you see is just a number for yourself and how the system doesn't really care at all regarding matching you with others. Alternatively, hes with a stack and is being carried so he'll get deranked for this because the game doesn't like that.

Wouldn't you massively outperform on characters like dva and zen after they got buffed? That's pretty dumb if so. And yeah, would also punish people that change characters during the match.

Not really, it's a percentile based rank system as they said. They don't use masteroverwatch or such, but they say it's percentile based, showing that indeed that's how it works. If d va is better than roadhog but you're the best roadhog in the world and d va is simply a better character, your roadhog would theoretically get you ranking up faster. Now, they balance to avoid this issue, but still.

So using your mains is going to benefit you more, if only because you see better results with them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've been boosted as Zenyatta before. I mean, I'm pretty decent as Zen now but plz boost someone else.

Soulflarz

Banned
I've been boosted as Zenyatta before. I mean, I'm pretty decent as Zen now but plz boost someone else.

Hate getting boosted as reaper because it really discourages flanking and just running in and ulting or shooting so it doesn't get wasted. Also hate it as McCree.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm pretty sure most of those boosts are accidental. Whenever I see a boosted lucio I get a good laugh.

That said, boosting a reinhardt or an ulting genji just feels so good. Got her cute spray already.

Soma

CoU8G0mUMAAWZE7.jpg:orig

I've never played a match where I was more at peace with my inner self.

Experience tranquility you motherfuckers.

ramyeon

I'm pretty sure most of those boosts are accidental. Whenever I see a boosted lucio I get a good laugh.

That said, boosting a reinhardt or an ulting genji just feels so good. Got her cute spray already.

I think I got it on the first game I played with her. Her trophies are probably the easiest to unlock out of the whole roster imo.

Antiwhippy

I think I got it on the first game I played with her. Her trophies are probably the easiest to unlock out of the whole roster imo.

It's not easy when your boosted reinhardt keep on holding his shield after he's boosted, wasting precious ult time. :(

TFW ana accidentally boosts you as zenyatta but you get performance anxiety and can't hit anyone. ;_;
I tried to boost a high energy Zarya who had ult. I boosted a Zenyatta with like 30 health -__-

Major facepalm.
They were right next to each other, it was an accident!!

Apathy

I tried to boost a high energy Zarya who had ult. I boosted a Zenyatta with like 30 health -__-

Major facepalm.
They were right next to each other, it was an accident!!

Those moments are infuriating, trying to boost someone specifically and your teamamtes just gets in front as you press q. same with healing

Zacagawea

I'm down to level 50 from 63...while not actually playing any worse.
Don't @ me, I've been keeping track of my stats.
Get 3 or 4 gold medals, lose because of a level 25 widow main, and then derank almost a full level. It's the circle of life.

charsace

Blizzard hates McCree confirmed. They drop his range again and drop time from the flash.

The other offensive guys will walk all over him more than ever now.

They should increase the rate of fire on his left click.

Antiwhippy

Blizzard hates McCree confirmed. They drop his range again and drop time from the flash.

The other offensive guys will walk all over him more than ever now.

They should increase the rate of fire on his left click.

No, they've dropped his recovery after flashing. This means he can unload a full FTH before stun wears off now.

*gets a purple skin* :D

*for a character you never used* D:

This just means new character to learn!

brian!

No, they've dropped his recovery after flashing. This means he can unload a full FTH before stun wears off now.

yes, and his left click is still pretty great, just a little less absurd, plus his right click is usable now. all-in-all he still seems like the premier pick, but they've also cut away at how hard he shut certain things down and made his right click usable, lot of nice things w/ this change.

Just had a game with a handful of 70's then mid 60's (me being 67) Gibraltar, we got the payload within 5 meters of the end. Then spawned camped them the whole time on defense, they didn't get the first checkpoint. I felt like I played really well, 5 bronze medals (lol) and I go up 1/4 a level. I really don't get it.

Antiwhippy

yes, and his left click is still pretty great, just a little less absurd, plus his right click is usable now. all-in-all he still seems like the premier pick, but they've also cut away at how hard he shut certain things down and made his right click usable, lot of nice things w/ this change.

Also pharah might be more viable but discord + s76 still can make life hell.

Group of 6 vs Solo queue/ Partial grouping:
TcIGN5c.png

Definitely seems like the way to go if you want to climb, 2-3 grouped players is the sweet spot in my opinion.

Prelude.

Ana's buff is really nice. I often found her rifle being a bit too slow or her pretty long reload time an obstacle in particularly hectic situations so this is very, very welcome.

McCree too, I had some ridiculous (considering his weapon against mine) sniper battles in the last few days. And FTH being more useful is good news if you're not a human aimbot and want to use him.

Ramirez

I know most of you think medals mean nothing, but when the majority of my games here lately look like this, it's pretty damn depressing.

We moved the Payload from the front door of the inside area of Dorado in OT thanks to my ult and then me hooking 3 consecutive people. Mean while they steamrolled us with 3:30 left. As a solo player, what more could I do? I feel like this is in pretty much every game lately, I play well, but still get absolutely demolished. Fuck me.

Had a quitter last game to knock me back down to 69, just the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

Nudull

Banned
Ana's buff is really nice. I often found her rifle being a bit too slow or her pretty long reload time an obstacle in particularly hectic situations so this is very, very welcome.

McCree too, I had some ridiculous (considering his weapon against mine) sniper battles in the last few days.

Ana's reload speed is a bit blah, but I've been keeping a steady pace.

Camping and ranking up kill streaks with multiple Anas is a beautiful feeling. :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
McCree feels great now, his LMB isn't so ridiculous but better than before, and now his RMB is useful again, I was absolutely destroying people with stun/fan combo again and it felt mighty fine.

Gator86

This game needs vastly more punitive leaver responses. I don't care if your Internet is bad, you're still abandoning your team and dooming them to loss after loss. We need either lockouts on matchmaking increasing with each leave or significant rank penalties. You deserve to be low rank if you're always leaving your team short-handed.

Is anyone else playing on PC experiencing occasional crashes? I'll be playing then all of a sudden the game will freeze and every time I try to hit a key it plays the standard Windows error sound. After a few seconds of this Overwatch just closes completely.

Luckily I can start the game right back up and get right back into the same match but it is really frustrating. Is there any way to fix this?

Shouta

Oh, McCree nerfed already? Nice that he isn't nuts but bad because I was having too much being a sniper, lol. I'll just go back to playing him like I did before the buffs, sniping at mid-range!

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Kings row has so many rooms to duck into and objects on the point to hide behind.

The objects aren't great protection when it's in the air (or if you're Roadhog D:)

And the main thing I was salty about was everyone having to scramble to find cover while DVA's just shooting away.

Matchmaking just had us in a GAF v GAF game, was pretty cool! Someone else joined the group so it broke up the game.

Trying to get a custom game going though, should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom