• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just want to say I'm loving Ana, both as a character design and in terms of gameplay.

She feels like she'll be hard to master, especially on consoles, but that only makes her more satisfying to play.

Also after coming back to OW after a month's break, I've started worrying less about my win ratio and concentrating on having fun. Coupled with Ana, two of my favourite characters got buffs (Zen and D.Va), making the game feel fresh again.

I'll still play the objective and try to co-ordinate in Quickplay, but I won't hero swap based on what someone wrote in a forum or yelled down the mic.
Not gonna touch Competitive with a 10ft clown pole until I find a decent team who's willing.

Think I'm back in for another good while. At least until Urien arrives in SFV.

DrArchon

Actually tried out Ana for the first time. My thoughts are as follows.

-Her damage output is actually really high for a support I feel. Just repeatedly landing shots with her does a ton of work. Of course, this means you aren't healing, and you can't shoot through your allies, but at least she can do something when everyone is mostly topped off.

-I wish there was some indication of where the grenade was going to land. It's fucking hard to use if you aren't familiar with it's trajectory.

-Her ult is worthless on low level solo que. Why can't Reinhardts realize that when they get nano-boosted they're supposed to drop their shield, charge in, and start murdering dudes? Nope, just stand there like an idiot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Damage output is decent but still not amazing, though it could be really good with the new fire rate.

Zenyetta is still the king of "WHY IS THIS SUPPORT MELTING MEEEEEE"

Anne

Like that they nerfed McCree before nerfing Zen. Seeing if Zen is as oppressive without McCree damage backing him up is smart.

Still think Zen will end up broke though.

BigDug13

Actually tried out Ana for the first time. My thoughts are as follows.

-Her damage output is actually really high for a support I feel. Just repeatedly landing shots with her does a ton of work. Of course, this means you aren't healing, and you can't shoot through your allies, but at least she can do something when everyone is mostly topped off.

-I wish there was some indication of where the grenade was going to land. It's fucking hard to use if you aren't familiar with it's trajectory.

-Her ult is worthless on low level solo que. Why can't Reinhardts realize that when they get nano-boosted they're supposed to drop their shield, charge in, and start murdering dudes? Nope, just stand there like an idiot.

Just throw it on some offensive hero that's guaranteed to be shooting even in low level queue. McCree, soldier, reaper. And if you hear "tactical visor" or "whatever genji says with his sword", you know where to put that thing. I know it works superbly on a Reinhardt that utilizes it, but a lot of pub Reinhardts aren't very offensive minded.

DrArchon

Damage output is decent but still not amazing, though it could be really good with the new fire rate.

Zenyetta is still the king of "WHY IS THIS SUPPORT MELTING MEEEEEE"

Of course, plus he can heal and damage at the same time. I'm just saying it's nice that Ana's DPS is as good as it is while her healing is still so good.

I will say that it's fucking convenient that she doesn't have to aim down the sights to fire all the time. It's so easy to just hip-fire heals out.

Antiwhippy

Like that they nerfed McCree before nerfing Zen. Seeing if Zen is as oppressive without McCree damage backing him up is smart.

Still think Zen will end up broke though.

He probably will, but it'll be so much fun while it lasts.

Still, I kinda think it's impossible to balance it to have teams not pick the the 2 best supports of the current meta. All they did with zen is to make him swap roles with mercy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
McCree Patch Notes 8/1/16

•McCree's Voice Lines now do damage.
•McCree uses a mana system and is no longer a cowboy

McCree Patch Notes 8/8/16

•We have replaced McCree with a new character entirely

Played a few games after taking a break for a week. Ana seems really cool, need to practice more with her. I really like that the way they buffed D.Va, she feels much better now. PS4 patch notes say that Symmetra's turrets do less damage, but I still melt dudes with them.

Also, I built a gaming PC, so I might be playing Overwatch on that platform. Still undecided, as I have a nice GAF team on PS4.

I'm not feeling Zenyatta's new role as an actual support. I much preferred him as a glass cannon who happened to be able to heal, even if he was basically trash tier.

Is 76 supposed to feel so broken, because I'm starting to pull 40-50 kills a game with barely much effort. XD

Not kills, eliminations. He puts out a lot of damage against a lot of people, so he tends to get a lot of eliminations. He actually got nerfed recently.

Gator86

The last two days of this game have been fucking miserable. Just useless teammates yesterday and nothing but leavers today. You should lose one rank for each time you leave in a season. If you've left 4 games already, your next leave should drop you 5 ranks. This would push the team killers down into the dregs where they belong. So tired of games where we don't even stand a chance, even if people are playing well.

McCree Patch Notes 8/1/16

•McCree's Voice Lines now do damage.
•McCree uses a mana system and is no longer a cowboy

McCree Patch Notes 8/8/16

•We have replaced McCree with a new character entirely

It's not all bad. I thought it was a pretty bold move when they replaced his voice actor with Celine Dion.

Antiwhippy

The last two days of this game have been fucking miserable. Just useless teammates yesterday and nothing but leavers today. You should lose one rank for each time you leave in a season. If you've left 4 games already, your next leave should drop you 5 ranks. This would push the team killers down into the dregs where they belong. So tired of games where we don't even stand a chance, even if people are playing well.

I'm pretty sure you actually do drop rank from leaving. The one time I got disconnected and couldn't get back (On character select to boot) I dropped a whole level.

Anne

He probably will, but it'll be so much fun while it lasts.

Still, I kinda think it's impossible to balance it to have teams not pick the the 2 best supports of the current meta. All they did with zen is to make him swap roles with mercy.

I think double support will be "standard meta" for awhile but I do think there can be room for more than just the top 2 being picked. Right now Zen is just bonkers and Lucio speed boost is just too game defining. If there was an actual choice to make between Mercy's HPS/Res over stacking damage/speed then we'd have something interesting.

Atm the game is completely dominated by speed and wiping down team's ASAP in big group fights, so it makes sense that Zen/Lucio would be default picks. If ways existed to realistically stop the rushdown strats then Mercy might become better, but they don't. You just win by taking whatever engage can let you outdamage the other team :T

Why we see teams trying out Mei. She's supposed to slow things down and the wall/Ult are really the only abilities in the game that call out bag engages/pushes well enough. Still quite a big risk to lose out on damage for that, but that is the reasoning behind why she's been picked more recently.

Ramirez

Couldn't tell ya the last actual competitive match I had in ranked. No clue what the hell happened.

I mean I just lost to a team with a level 60 Ana in KOTH...

I think double support will be "standard meta" for awhile but I do think there can be room for more than just the top 2 being picked. Right now Zen is just bonkers and Lucio speed boost is just too game defining. If there was an actual choice to make between Mercy's HPS/Res over stacking damage/speed then we'd have something interesting.

Atm the game is completely dominated by speed and wiping down team's ASAP in big group fights, so it makes sense that Zen/Lucio would be default picks. If ways existed to realistically stop the rushdown strats then Mercy might become better, but they don't. You just win by taking whatever engage can let you outdamage the other team :T

Why we see teams trying out Mei. She's supposed to slow things down and the wall/Ult are really the only abilities in the game that call out bag engages/pushes well enough. Still quite a big risk to lose out on damage for that, but that is the reasoning behind why she's been picked more recently.

Great post.

This is evident if you see Pro Play/ High Level play. There's is hardly any defense on anything not KOTH. Hybrid Maps? Point A is nothing more than a widow dressing to the payload. Stopping the Payload? You aren't slowing it down until the final checkpoint.

I personally am not a fan of this super aggressive meta right now. It was like this in Beta when Double Zen/Genji and 2 filler of your choice was the dream.

I honestly rather have the prolong firefights we had last patch. This current meta sucks.

ohkay

Anyone playing on ps4 know how to join team chat while I'm grouped up? It never has me or my friend join, we're always stuck in group chat

Nudull

Banned
So after playing Ana and getting sniping down pat, I went back and tried Widowmaker again. I'm enjoying her gameplay a lot more now, though I still prefer Ana.

Man C9 put up a real good fight against Envy, was actually pretty fun to watch that series. Almost thought they were gonna push that series to a final game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was at 64 and now slipped down to 58. Just did a solo match where I was with a team of 5 against a team of 6. Had one of the most insane games I've had as roadhog and hooked 35 enemies with an accuracy of 79%...still lost.

Welp.

So after playing Ana and getting sniping down pat, I went back and tried Widowmaker again. I'm enjoying her gameplay a lot more now, though I still prefer Ana.

I'm actually having a hard time going back to Widow after Ana. The scope/unscope speed is so slow that I'd rather just use Ana unless I'm on defense with a coordinated team. I mostly shrugged off the quickscope nerf when it happened but it's super obvious now.

Apathy

lol if you used ana before this small buff, and haven't tried her yet, go into training and see her rate of fire, it's actually really funny how fast it is now compared to before. Feels like hitting the fast forward button

At 29 metres (aprox) i'm not able to 2 shot the bots (headshots) but at 28 metres i can still 2 shot them

ramyeon

I really hope the Ana buff comes to console soon. Sounds like they're just going to include it later on down the road with a more major patch though.

Gator86

Finally got some solid teams and clawed my way up to 67, my season high. Thank God for KOTH and Lucio. I hope the McCree nerf isn't too bad. I really enjoy him now. The last buff made him and Zen a solid chunk of my play.

LiK

Just played Comp with really stupid randoms. We were defending in Hollywood and THREE of them decide to camp left building on roof near enemy spawn and they died almost instantly leaving 3 of us at capture point against a full team. That was super idiotic. Hardly held it and lost the rest of the way with them not grouping up. Down to 52 now.

Ramirez

Is this real life?

1G96GO1.jpg

What...the....fuck?

Soulflarz

Banned
I explained why you're unable to keep in the <desired max rank> a page back. Please read it, it probably is frustrating, but it's better to know why you cannot rank up and why you derank easy so you can optimize and fix it.

Ramirez

I'm sure if you lost it would have been an entire level too.

Fun system.

I really hate to be one of those people that complains about a ranking system, but this one just makes no sense at all to me. I'll admit I've never got that little XP before for a win, but holy shit, wins are hard to come by lately, and that's what I get for one? Fuckin' lol.

I explained why you're unable to keep in the <desired max rank> a page back. Please read it, it probably is frustrating, but it's better to know why you cannot rank up and why you derank easy so you can optimize and fix it.

That has nothing to do with gaining that little of XP for a win.

ramyeon

I really hate to be one of those people that complains about a ranking system, but this one just makes no sense at all to me. I'll admit I've never got that little XP before for a win, but holy shit, wins are hard to come by lately, and that's what I get for one? Fuckin' lol.
It's not XP, the rank system is not a levelling system. If you're sitting in a rank that is suitable to you then it's normal to not be going up significantly.

Soulflarz

Banned
Dude, it went up an INCH, give me a break!

Because it's percentile based
Say your percentile for how you play drops you at 63- still well above average
It's not going to give you any exp, it's going to drop you HARD. It does not want you anywhere near that rank at the moment, that's what I've been trying to say for days.
Unless you start playing significantly better next game, it's going to assume you're way too far ahead and keep pushing back super hard.

And mind you- we don't know the percentiles they run it on for what they're tracking. It could be stats overbuff doesn't track at all, meaning my .1% on that site might end me at .5% on the real thing or .01%, who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom