• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I always struggle with: if someone picked Zenyatta, will my team be mad if I then went with Mercy instead of a damage dealer.

They shouldn't be mad, Zen works really well with somebody else playing a dedicated support role (Lucio or Mercy).

Because the thing about Zen, he's more of a dps character than support. He should be focusing on discording their tanks and dps. While his healing aspect is important the other two (discord and dps) should be his main focus. If you have a dedicated support then it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Syntax

Amazing. Ass chooses Ana and never even used her Ult once. How shit can you be?
This is something I always struggle with: if someone picked Zenyatta, will my team be mad if I then went with Mercy instead of a damage dealer.

I struggle with that too. Anytime I see an Ana I check the player's profile to see characters most played; more to see what roles they prefer. If I see support in there, then I assume we'll be getting heals. Ideally there're two support healers but when there're 3 or 4 supports ("New character?! GASP"), it's mostly not pretty.

I also worry that Zen will get to trigger happy and forget to toss out some friendly orbs. Many of the ones I've encountered have been emboldened by his recent buff.

Soulflarz

Banned

"sort of", because it's kind of redundant, Lucios a better pick with mercy and zen overlapping a lot

They probably wont be mad unless they're following the pro scene, but it's worth having a pocket Lucio probably!

mollipen

"sort of", because it's kind of redundant, Lucios a better pick with mercy and zen overlapping a lot

They probably wont be mad unless they're following the pro scene, but it's worth having a pocket Lucio probably!

Problem is, I won't touch Lucio. There is just zero about him that's interesting to me. Far and away I enjoy healing the most in games like this, but I'd rather go any other class than play him.

LiK

Finally had a Comp game with 100% randoms. No partial groups and we destroyed them. Well, I did. 4 Gold medals and got PotM.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, I'm starting to think that thinking getting gold medals means that you're carrying a team isn't the right way to go about it. Often I'll get silvers and see that I'm not really that far off the gold guys.

Had an awesome game with Zenyatta. It's such a good feeling when you achieve a perfect rhythm of both healing and damaging with zens orbs!

ZGxkIjg.jpg

LiK

Eh, I'm starting to think that thinking getting gold medals means that you're carrying a team isn't the right way to go about it. Often I'll get silvers and see that I'm not really that far off the gold guys.

Who cares. Whatever it takes to win. And don't make me feel bad about carrying lol

Also, win streak continues in solo queue. Back up to 54.

Edit: fuck, if that dick didn't leave our team, would've won so easy. But then everyone started leaving after a while. The other team wasn't even that good. Sigh.

peakish

I don't think it's meaningless but players still put way too much stock in it. Some characters are just plain better than others at getting lots of medals and not all good plays will net you stats. As you say it also doesn't say anything about how close others were to getting or sharing the medal.

It's a nice ego boost so I like when I get them because it feels like I did my part in the game.

Antiwhippy

Man... I think I need to expand my hero pool or something. Keep promoting and demoting in the 63-65 range.

Unless the only characters you play are Hanzo and genji at that range i'd imagine it's more about honing the characters you're familiar with.

Sande

I know why Blizzard chose to go with minimalistic stat screens, but I'd really like to be able to tell what's what beyond random accusations and gut feelings. I feel like the current system promotes toxicity almost more than just telling us how well everyone's doing.

This ties into the gold medal discussion above. Right now that's pretty much the only way to gauge your team's performance and, as mentioned, it's pretty horrible at it.

Anyone playing Tracer on PC with controller and have any suggestions for settings? I've been playing around with them the past few days but wondering if I am missing anything obvious
mouse and keyboard!

LiK

Phew. That was a good win. I'm sticking with Junkrat for Comp with randoms. I cause too much mayhem with the enemy teams. So many kills and damage lol

Soulflarz

Banned
Unless the only characters you play are Hanzo and genji at that range i'd imagine it's more about honing the characters you're familiar with.

Yep, the game rewards becoming very good with one class or such, you'll rank up enough to offset the rare match where your teammates can't even slightly play the other ones.

Anyone playing Tracer on PC with controller and have any suggestions for settings? I've been playing around with them the past few days but wondering if I am missing anything obvious.
Honestly, this is going to bother you, but PC+controller doesnt work well because of the lack of aim assist. You're putting yourself at a severe disadvantage.

Edit: that stealth edit!

Ferga

Nah. I play reaper, zary, dva with some time on soldier and mercy when the situation calls for them.

I feel like I'm always losing against good Genjis. Forgot the last time where I won against a good one.

It's either that or I keep getting put into temple of anubis against Genjis cause I feel like I'm on that crappy map half the time.

Mendrox

I was a Dva mainer before the buff and also wrecked shit, but now I think that she is a bit too good to be honest. I am destroying teams easily and if I got two competent people in my team I won't lose. Never.

So I started using other characters (Zenyatta e.g. or Symettra) and play them on attack too. Symmetra teleporter on the enemy point B on Volskaya Industries is too funny.

If I get the feeling that we won't win, I will start to change to Dva at half point and just win the match then. :|

Defense Matrix is just too good now.

Honestly, this is going to bother you, but PC+controller doesnt work well because of the lack of aim assist. You're putting yourself at a severe disadvantage.

Thought I edited quick enough :p I know it puts me at a disadvantage and I am totally okay with that, I'm having plenty of fun playing Tracer with a controller and I wondered if anyone else out there was doing the same and could share their settings.

Yep, the game rewards becoming very good with one class or such, you'll rank up enough to offset the rare match where your teammates can't even slightly play the other ones.

the game doesnt reward anything other than the positive variance of not getting grouped with a bunch of retards, which is exceedingly rare most of the time on the pc version as the community is the worst, most clueless group of gamers i have ever seen(king of the hill mode? oooh let me play torbjorn yo).

it doesnt matter how good or bad you play. if you win the round you win points. if you lose the round you lose points.

Syntax

I'd say that on average, the game rewards teamwork. You do have edge cases where a player is so good / bad that teamwork doesn't matter as much.

And focusing on one character has always been a double-edged sword. You get better at playing as them but if that's no an option or you're being countered, it suddenly becomes a handicap.

Antiwhippy

I was a Dva mainer before the buff and also wrecked shit, but now I think that she is a bit too good to be honest. I am destroying teams easily and if I got two competent people in my team I won't lose. Never.

So I started using other characters (Zenyatta e.g. or Symettra) and play them on attack too. Symmetra teleporter on the enemy point B on Volskaya Industries is too funny.

If I get the feeling that we won't win, I will start to change to Dva at half point and just win the match then. :|

Defense Matrix is just too good now.

Nah, i think people will adapt. I'm already fighting against people who would smartly just reload and make me burn through defense matrix.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I edited quick enough :p I know it puts me at a disadvantage and I am totally okay with that, I'm having plenty of fun playing Tracer with a controller and I wondered if anyone else out there was doing the same and could share their settings.

Can you record yourself playing Tracer with a controller if possible? I feel like it's something I need to see with my own eyes to fully understand the horror :D

Matt Frost

Trolling taken to the next step:

http://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-boot-opponents-from-overwatch-matches-with-three-synchronized-anas/?utm_content=buffer6eafe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Providing you're a reasonably good shot in Overwatch, Ana's sleep dart can be devastating – especially if you hit an opponent while they unleash their ultimate. But did you know the sleep dart can also boot people from the match entirely? Well, it can, but only with three active Anas and a really poor opposing team.

The trick is to get three Ana's on your team, and to keep an opponent down with successive sleep darts until they're booted from the match for being away from keyboard. Given the length of the sleep dart's cooldown, you must have three Anas for it to work, and you also need for those three Ana's to be uninterrupted for a good minute or so. In Overwatch, that's very unlikely indeed.

Still, it's a funny trick, and while it's likely to be patched in a forthcoming update, we'll always have the below video by Youmuus to remind us.

In related Ana news, she was buffed overnight, meaning her biotic rifle now packs a harder punch.

I'd say that on average, the game rewards teamwork. You do have edge cases where a player is so good / bad that teamwork doesn't matter as much.

And focusing on one character has always been a double-edged sword. You get better at playing as them but if that's no an option or you're being countered, it suddenly becomes a handicap.

this is my point. it doesnt matter how good 1 individual is, if hes on a bad team he loses. and the ranking system only cares about the win or loss.

What's the consensus on Ana? She instantly clicked for me, even if she seems a little bit on the weak side. I feel a cooldown reduction on her sleep dart or a tiny bit more damage on her rifle would be helpful.
I've risen from 47 to 55 by playing Ana solo q (a bit of DVa and Mei mixed in).

edit: nevermind, just read the new patchnotes. Looks like Ana is even better now :)

king of the hill mode? oooh let me play torbjorn yo.

Lol. I just literally just did that. Entered the match at the last 20 seconds of the first round, and our team was back at the spawn. So I just said fuck it. lets get weird.

It backfired, Trob didn't do much for me. So I quickly switched to Luccio and got gold in kills in a single round. Haha.

Antiwhippy

What's the consensus on Ana? She instantly clicked for me, even if she seems a little bit on the weak side. I feel a cooldown reduction on her sleep dart or a tiny bit more damage on her rifle would be helpful.

I've risen from 47 to 55 by playing Ana solo q (a bit of DVa and Mei mixed in).

She just got buffed, so hard to say.

I really like her, though i find more success with her on attack than defense.

Syntax

Ana's kit is really good. Her healing was good, too, even before the buff. The only downside to her as a support in my opinion is that her effectiveness is dependent on your aim. The other supports, not so much.

Sleep dart is hilarious sometimes.

this is my point. it doesnt matte\r how good 1 individual is, if he son a bad team he loses. and the ranking system only cares about the win or loss.

RNG certainly plays a huge part in winning or losing. I'm just saying that trying to work with your team can help mitigate some of that and hopefully increase the chance of victory.

This is of course if you play solo as I do. Pre-made team would be another option.

Mendrox

Nah, i think people will adapt. I'm already fighting against people who would smartly just reload and make me burn through defense matrix.

Doesn't change a thing for me though, because I just boost into people to confuse them (their position change) and then I am go for the head till I win (and punch them too death too) or I get fucked out of my Mecha and the real Dva starts.

Only Zarya is a big problem and Mei is just fucking annoying if I don't have my boost at the moment. I am getting 50 kills per game on average.

Edit: Also burning through Defense Matrix? Lol.

Against Pharah -> See incoming Rocket -> Use Defense Matrix with one click -> Block -> Repeat
Against Hanzoh -> Dito
Against Soldier Ulti -> Defense Matrix for a second or two -> Boost away -> use it again and fuck him up
Against Junkrat -> Boost into him with the Matrix, maybe get caught in the trap -> Defense Matrix -> Fuck him up
Etc.

Only Zarya is fucking annoying with her fire and shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom