• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Theres some rare cases where your teams getting rolled and a bastion switch can allow your team to group up again. Sometimes randoms just have a really hard time using simple team work to stop bastion, even if they are halfway skilled otherwise. If it doesnt work immediately, i just switch back!

I'm talking about people who, never, ever changes.

Volcynika

Which one? We had the first game in matchmaking with ViewtifulJC et al. and then after that we organized a few matches in custom. I think I played four of those before dipping out.

I played two at Egypt or whatever for custom, and Numbani for the matchmaking. Where everyone wanted Lijang Tower at that point. I had to be up early so that's all I could do.

You were, we had some Pharah fights on Numbani

JC, Angelus, etc. and I had a full group otherwise we may have had room for you

Womp womp. I was doing pretty badly tonight, I even activated my ult right outside spawn once, so probably best I went to bed!

TheDanimal

Hi

(I haven't been bronze/silver and doing awful and not been able to turn it around into golds or such/maiming, but that's because certain characters don't need to flip, bastion or symmetra or such need to at times)
I remember when I used to get pissed at you for not changing.
Now I am grateful for your presence.

Antiwhippy

Hi

(I haven't been bronze/silver and doing awful and not been able to turn it around into golds or such/maiming, but that's because certain characters don't need to flip, bastion or symmetra or such need to at times)

There are quite a number of characters that are useful in most situations. Bastion, torb and widow aren't them.

Soulflarz

Banned
I remember when I used to get pissed at you for not changing.
Now I am grateful for your presence.

Well, healers on a reaper who can wait to burn both zarya shields and defense matrix is OP, because then your ult is a guaranteed quad on a moshpit and leaving the rest easy kills.

There are quite a number of characters that are useful in most situations. Bastion, torb and widow aren't them.
This is why I swear by using other characters than them.

chur

I play solo like all the time so I have to ask. Do groups not assign a healer? Everytime I get a group of 4 on my team none of them go healer. Seems pretty weird to let a random take charge of it.

duckroll

Speaking of people who never change, you know what really pisses me off? When you have a Sym on Hanamura, Volskaya, or King's Row defense, and you lose the first point badly, it's clear the sentries totally didn't work for the enemy's comp, and they don't change for the rest of the game. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Soulflarz

Banned
Speaking of people who never change, you know what really pisses me off? When you have a Sym on Hanamura, Volskaya, or King's Row defense, and you lose the first point badly, it's clear the sentries totally didn't work for the enemy's comp, and they don't change for the rest of the game. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
The WORST. I hate this more than offensive torb.

Antiwhippy

Oh speaking of sym, just had a teammate pick her for attack on El Dorado. Went exactly as you think it would.

I've played against 2 syms who just spawn camped the final spawn point of el dorado for the entire final push.

Everyone just ignored them and pushed the cart to the finish.

NEVER do Symm on point B unless you're in the middle of running back to point A when it falls and have to make do with what you've got. NEVERRRRRR

I will say tho that sometimes the sentries not working out is more because of your team rather than theirs; not much they can do if y'all fall back from the defensive line at the first sign of pressure.

Gator86

Ana is fucking useless on console. The unbuffed skills and console aiming are a death sentence in comp at higher levels.

I hope the next hero is a tank. I'm so tired of everyone immediately locking in an attacker and just flanking the entire match, leaving the enemy to just walk down the path. The entire team can't be flanking at all times.

Blizzard also desperately needs to patch in some actual emotes. Their current system is complete trash and useful only for sarcastic thanks at the end of the game. There is literally no way to communicate on consoles. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone chat in the game.

duckroll

NEVER do Symm on point B unless you're in the middle of running back to point A when it falls and have to make do with what you've got. NEVERRRRRR

I will say tho that sometimes the sentries not working out is more because of your team rather than theirs; not much they can do if y'all fall back from the defensive line at the first sign of pressure.

Oh, sure, the strategy not working out could be a bunch of reasons. That's why I chose those maps to highlight, because Syms CAN dominate on defense for those maps, especially at the first point. The trick is that a good team player will know instinctively that once that fails, you should switch out unless you have a REALLY good plan on how to defend with Sym after that. I've seen it work, very rarely, but it's possible. Most of the time though? It's just people not being a team player and it infuriates me. Lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've actually done plenty of full holds on anubis B with her but that's the only map I'd ever do it on. Her teleporter has a pretty clutch spot there behind the point and there's tons of good sentry spots.

...though this was before they ruined her on console.

Wait, how do you tell if other players are in a group when you're playing solo? I know when you're in a group it has the green outline but I've never seen something like that for other people.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait, how do you tell if other players are in a group when you're playing solo? I know when you're in a group it has the green outline but I've never seen something like that for other people.
When the match loads on the side they have a line next to their names with the party icon, just look on the side of the team player names, youll see it.

TheDanimal

If it's comp, you can see the groups at the start.
Otherwise you can't, I think.
Edit: Beaten hard rip

ugh. lately the game just can't connect to the game fast enough. i got booted twice before it even loaded the character select screen. and just now in a game it wouldn't even load the other team or anything. wtf. outside the game is normal speed.

Apathy

seriously don't understand the mentality of people. if you can't aim, no matter how broken a character is, you're still going to suck at it. But every so often you get someone being useless,picking a character they can't use in competitive and making it a 5v6.

LiK

Seems like attacking is now the better side of the coin flip in most situations, funny to see that change.

it is. attackers have closer spawn and the shorten time makes the run back for defense take too long. altho this is only possible if you do well in the initial rush. i found sometimes if you attack in sudden death with randoms, it's a mess.

Gator86

For the love of God, I hope they nerf the shit out of Pharah on consoles. She's just relentlessly irritating. People can't shoot her down and a good Pharah just wrecks everything in sight with next to no resistance. Only two characters have a realistic chance of killing her so you spend the entire game tear-assing around trying to shut her down while she shreds your defenseless team.

High level Genji is a nightmare too, but he's a pretty high skill hero and it's rare to see him just waste everyone game after game. Most Pharahs in the 60s and 70s are just dominating.

duckroll

Isn't Attack bias natural for Sudden Death? The reason Defend was preferred by some teams previously was because with stacking you have a bunch of cheese options. Without stacking, it definitely gives attackers more options to use flanks to take defenders by surprise, and because of the spawn imbalance and the short round time, it just makes sense.

Just ran into my first troll Symmetra who killed our team by placing the portal right next to the edge of the pit on Hanamura. Fucking ridiculous that people do that.

LiK

For the love of God, I hope they nerf the shit out of Pharah on consoles. She's just relentlessly irritating. People can't shoot her down and a good Pharah just wrecks everything in sight with next to no resistance. Only two characters have a realistic chance of killing her so you spend the entire game tear-assing around trying to shut her down while she shreds your defenseless team.

High level Genji is a nightmare too, but he's a pretty high skill hero and it's rare to see him just waste everyone game after game. Most Pharahs in the 60s and 70s are just dominating.

use Soldier or McCree. they can take her down pretty quickly. Even the buffed Zen with Discord will knock her out pretty quickly.

It always was though?

If anything they had reduced the time to make attacking harder. Still easier attacking than defending.
Stacked torb on console was super common for sudden death pre-patch. It worked the majority of the time as it takes coordination to bring that down and even then turrets would just slow down attackers too much to make effective pushes.

Owzers

seriously don't understand the mentality of people. if you can't aim, no matter how broken a character is, you're still going to suck at it. But every so often you get someone being useless,picking a character they can't use in competitive and making it a 5v6.

I'm going to be a good Mccree, but it's going to take lots of losses in competitive until i get there.

Apathy

Seems like attacking is now the better side of the coin flip in most situations, funny to see that change.

It's never not been. Attackers only have to wipe the defenders once to win, Defenders have to deflect multiple pushes and pushes that can change depeending on what they see on D.

duckroll

Attackers don't even need to die to swap out in Sudden Death. They just need to move forward, use their eyes, and if they see a way to exploit the enemy comp, walk backwards to the spawn room, swap out, come back, wipe.

LiK

Sudden Death only worked in for Defense when you can stack like hell. in Comp, that''s not an issue anymore which is lovely.

Gator86

use Soldier or McCree. they can take her down pretty quickly. Even the buffed Zen with Discord will knock her out pretty quickly.

There's no mystery about this. No one is wondering which two heroes I was mentioning. It's a problem when a hero is almost completely invulnerable to all heroes but McCree and Soldier. They cannot be killing her at all times. High level Pharahs don't just fly completely motionless in the middle of an open field. I'm at rank 67 with a 90th percentile Soldier and fighting a team using her is still fucking miserable.

Blizzard just nerfed Torb and Sym's damage by a third because people couldn't hit stationary targets. Now, imagine those targets flying erratically 100m away and firing rockets that kill you in two hits. I am going to be fucking thrilled when they finally nerf her out of existence.

Owzers

Why don't you play McCree in QP until you get better at him before you play him in competitive?

Sometimes you only learn when others get angry.

But also i'm joking because i'm doing just that, practicing characters in QP, and i'm still awful with Mccree so it's not working and i'm going to have to ignore him in competitive. Zarya might get the qp to competitive bump though.

Antiwhippy

Stacked torb on console was super common for sudden death pre-patch. It worked the majority of the time as it takes coordination to bring that down and even then turrets would just slow down attackers too much to make effective pushes.

Oh right, console torb stacking. Forgot about that.

LiK

There's no mystery about this. No one is wondering which two heroes I was mentioning. It's a problem when a hero is almost completely invulnerable to all heroes but McCree and Soldier. They cannot be killing her at all times. High level Pharahs don't just fly completely motionless in the middle of an open field. I'm at rank 67 with a 90th percentile Soldier and fighting a team using her is still fucking miserable.

Blizzard just nerfed Torb and Sym's damage by a third because people couldn't hit stationary targets. Now, imagine those targets flying erratically 100m away and firing rockets that kill you in two hits. I am going to be fucking thrilled when they finally nerf her out of existence.

well, i mean, if that Pharah is that good then they're good. :p

To be fair, if there's any secondary defense line where Symmetra can beast, it's Volskaya.

oh, i just checked your PSN. guess we just played together, hah

that was good push during Sudden Death. we totally destroyed them.
Yup, really effective junkrat play on your end I must say. Still playing around with D. VA since the buff but she seems very effective, even if her ult doesn't get too many kills it can make a defense scramble and get your teammates to pounce on them. And that first Kings row game I was so surprised we won, gotta love when a Lucio can contest a payload for like a minute at the 2 metre mark :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom