• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, I'm fine with them patching in new content, but why make us wait until the next major patch, if it obvious that Torb was nerfed out of viability, for example.

He's viable but low skill ceiling viable now, meaning good players run you through.

Not like I pretend my character has a high ceiling, hes just very usable at the top level, if you optimize movement and headshots.

(Not like I pretend most of the cast has a crazy high ceiling, I mean really, being good at Roadhog vs being good at Lucio wallrunning is miles apart)

peakish

Absolutely. He does stupid amounts of damage for a support while still being able to heal a decent amount. He shouldn't be the only support on the team, but he's great when paired with another.

Very, very competitive. Discord is legit and his ult is the perfect ult counter.

More than viable, best healer duo is lucio/zenny right now.
Disco is really important for both mcree/genji. Also the only hero that can reliably heal genji.

Zarya+Lucio are the meta™

you can literally compensate for any other team comp if you have them and any tank.
This is pretty much what I think, too. Some dudes chewed me out for my Zen pick in one game today and told me to "read up on competitive" and return to quick play, so I wanted to see if that is a common belief.

Edit: This was as a second support, we were running Lucio + Zen (although I picked Zen first).

DrArchon

This is pretty much what I think, too. Some dudes chewed me out for my Zen pick in one game today and told me to "read up on competitive" and return to quick play, so I wanted to see if that is a common belief.

Edit: This was as a second support, we were running Lucio + Zen (although I picked Zen first).

Sounds like they don't know what they were talking about. I mean, unless the enemy team had no tanks of any kind or just a ton of quick flankers, Zen should've been a great pick.

Soulflarz

Banned

That was optimal, he's crazy.
If you don't want to think of team comp, well
McCree got nerfed so I dunno perfectly for him anymore but
Zen+Lucio needed on a team, D Va is a great tank, McCree was essential
then people argued over the other slots, with stuff like perhaps a winston or another DPS, but never a defense hero.

LiK

Why do people pick junk and torbs on attack.

Why.

Cuz Junkrat is awesome in Attack. I always pick him for it in Comp and we do real well. I take out sentries and turrets quick as well as destroy squishy enemies who dare to come out to attack us. His bombs and traps have saved a lot of my teammates. Been complimented by my trap usages more than once this week in party chat by some Gaffers and it feels real good. He's a versatile character.

Sarek

D.Va has become my favorite hero over the last week. I had like 5 minutes of play time with her pre-patch, but post-patch I've played her almost exclusively. She is excellent in any situation, and has helped me boost my rank by almost 10 points. After about 20 games with her I have 79% winrate. Hopefully this doesn't mean she is now overpowered...

peakish

That was optimal, he's crazy.
If you don't want to think of team comp, well
McCree got nerfed so I dunno perfectly for him anymore but
Zen+Lucio needed on a team, D Va is a great tank, McCree was essential
then people argued over the other slots, with stuff like perhaps a winston or another DPS, but never a defense hero.
Yeah that's pretty much what I've been thinking. I know that pro level stuff doesn't always work on lower levels but Zen+Lucio has seemed strong enough to me so far.

abundant

Yeah that's pretty much what I've been thinking. I know that pro level stuff doesn't always work on lower levels but Zen+Lucio has seemed strong enough to me so far.

When it comes to pro level strategies working on lower levels, double support (was Lucio+Mercy, now Lucio+Zen) is always the smartest way to go.

Soulflarz

Banned

I only play ranked with my two friends, who by pure luck are a top lucio and a top zen. Can confirm Zen+Lucio works at any level. It's just about the only pro strategy that does work at any level. If you want easier placement, learn how to be a great zen or lucio, because you can support extremely well.

We can force a push hard with me flanking in with die die die and a healer ulting causing the whole team to clean up, it really works in three person queue.

Be careful about McCree though, hes great because pros can headshot so much, he's not that good otherwise.

edit: by pure luck meaning by pure luck they play those characters.

Huh?

This looks like lag more than it looks like hitbox related.

Also thought this.

ksan

I think those kind of comments are pretty common after large meta-game shifts/patches, some people just don't keep up with what's happening and rely on old knowledge.

Rad-

Zen is amazing but he isn't as op as I first thought. The hitbox nerf hit him pretty hard it seems. If it was current zen + prenerf hitboxes then he would be absolutely crazy.

LiK

Good McCree players in Comp are devastating. Died to them too much. Either from his range shots or Ult.

Also, if you play Soldier in Comp and you can't do shit against a Pharah, switch to someone else cuz you're useless. Let someone else who can aim pick him.

Gator86

He's viable but low skill ceiling viable now, meaning good players run you through.

Not like I pretend my character has a high ceiling, hes just very usable at the top level, if you optimize movement and headshots.

(Not like I pretend most of the cast has a crazy high ceiling, I mean really, being good at Roadhog vs being good at Lucio wallrunning is miles apart)

That's basically what I mean by viable. Yeah, you can still pick up some quick play kills with him, but running him over someone else in comp play is a bad omen for the team. I'm rank 67 and around #200 with Torb, so I'm okay with him, and I know that choosing him is probably going to lose the game for us.

Maybe they could increase the range of the turret. If they want it to be support fire and an irritation for flankers, a long range, low damage balance tweak could do that. So you'd wind up chipping away at a Pharah flying around off in the distance but not shred everyone at the point by yourself, like before.

Soulflarz

Banned
^yep, torbs right next to defense heroes. You can win with them but a top 200 torb has nothing on a top 200 Pharah or McCree. You see them vastly less in the 60s and 70s like widowmaker or such.

Good McCree players in Comp are devastating. Died to them too much. Either from his range shots or Ult.

Also, if you play Soldier in Comp and you can't do shit against a Pharah, switch to someone else cuz you're useless. Let someone else who can aim pick him.

Pray the guy who can aim picks McCree nowadays though, McCree does more damage unless soldier lands 5 or so shots in a row- that's not happening though, because his aim gets very shaky after the third shot, causing triple bursts to make his DPS the highest, causing yet again McCree to be a safer pick.

Talking PS4 at least. Hopefully these McCree nerfs make soldier more viable instead of "why didn't you just go McCree".

Zen is amazing. I played him as the teams only support and it wasn't a disaster. I kept up the heals pretty well. And the discord is insane. He's just a ton of fun too.

He's definitely gonna become one of my regulars.

Zen is amazing. I played him as the teams only support and it wasn't a disaster. I kept up the heals pretty well. And the discord is insane. He's just a ton of fun too.

He's definitely gonna become one of my regulars.

Did you never play him before? Discord was always good, the main difference now is that it's easier to apply it in succession and it keeps up longer because Zenyatta doesn't need to hide as long. As far as his own offense goes, Zenyatta is notably weaker.

Soulflarz

Banned
Did you never play him before? Discord was always good, the main difference now is that it's easier to apply it in succession and it keeps up longer because Zenyatta doesn't need to hide as long. As far as his own offense goes, Zenyatta is notably weaker.

?
As of the buff

"Base shields increased by 50 (now 50 Health/150 Shield)
Primary fire weapon damage decreased from 45 to 40
Alternate fire weapon damage increased from 35 to 40"

He can kill others a lot easier than he could, he can live longer. His only nerf is 5 damage on primary fire, offset with 5 on alt fire.

I never really played him before. But the faster moving orbs is definitely a big deal. And moving into position with transcendence is huge.

Didn't they decrease his damage by 5? Notably weaker seems a stretch.

*beaten

?
As of the buff

"Base shields increased by 50 (now 50 Health/150 Shield)
Primary fire weapon damage decreased from 45 to 40
Alternate fire weapon damage increased from 35 to 40"

He can kill others a lot easier than he could, he can live longer. His only nerf is 5 damage on primary fire, offset with 5 on alt fire.

Which adds up to at least 1 additional shot to kill on every class over 200 HP, as well as the nerfed projectile hitboxes making headshots noticeably more difficult.
If you've actually played Zenyatta before, yeah the difference is notable.

Soulflarz

Banned
Which adds up to at least 1 additional shot to kill on every class over 200 HP, as well as the nerfed projectile hitboxes making headshots noticeably more difficult.
If you've actually played Zenyatta before, yeah the difference is notable.

Nerfed hitboxes affect everyone though, it's not really a big difference, the HP buff is an entire third, if offsets those by far.
And yes, if you need 7 shots to kill them, you now need 8. Again, a 9% damage nerf on primary fire with alt fire improving has nothing on a 33% health buff via rechargable shields.

Nerfed hitboxes affect everyone though, it's not really a big difference, the HP buff is an entire third, if offsets those by far.
And yes, if you need 7 shots to kill them, you now need 8. Again, a 9% damage nerf on primary fire with alt fire improving has nothing on a 33% health buff via rechargable shields.

Zenyatta is much more reliant on precise shots. Unlike Genji, Hanzo, and Junkrat, he has no backup plan if his projectiles are missing. He either makes his shots or he dies. And yes, that 1 extra shot makes a huge difference when the person coming at him is Reaper, McCree, Torbjorn, or you know, every single character that is not Tracer. Reaper especially, since the 50 HP barely makes a difference to him.

He's a better support and a much more viable pick. But he's worse at the one thing he used to do well, which is a little displeasing.

Soulflarz

Banned
Zenyatta is much more reliant on precise shots. Unlike Genji, Hanzo, and Junkrat, he has no backup plan if his projectiles are missing. He either makes his shots or he dies. And yes, that 1 extra shot makes a huge difference when the person coming at him is Reaper, McCree, Torbjorn, or you know, every single character that is not Tracer. Reaper especially, since the 50 HP barely makes a difference to him.

He's a better support and a much more viable pick. But he's worse at the one thing he used to do well, which is a little displeasing.

Hmm. Will have to try him more, I'm not an authority on him at all, especially post buff. I asssumed he had missing as a less huge issue than say, a hanzo.

I will concede that as a reaper the 50hp he doesn't mean anything to me, I've died to a sub 50hp zen twice post buff, that's it.

Why is there always one piece of shit player who chooses the worst hero.

Tjorborn on attack really? Went from 57 to 50.

Torbjorn can work perfectly fine on attack. The problems is likely the player not the character or scenario.

I've seen a lot of attacking Torb's do really well when solo queuing. They're actually great at slowly creeping up towards a point. If you time it right and get into a good position, you can pop an Ult, build a level 3 turret, and get a few kills in while the enemy is dealing with the primary attackers making their push.

LiK

Why is there always one piece of shit player who chooses the worst hero.

Tjorborn on attack really? Went from 57 to 50.

The worst is someone choosing Ana and clearly doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. Then after we lose a round, they switch to someone else. Fucking knew they didn't play their best character.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the mmr makes no sense. we queue with a party that has a rank 60 and an unranked person. match against a team whose highest rank is like 50. we finis and the rank 60 gets nearly a full bar of xp while the rest of us get like 1/2 to 1/3rd.

this is not how an mmr system should work.

Soulflarz

Banned
the mmr makes no sense. we queue with a party that has a rank 60 and an unranked person. match against a team whose highest rank is like 50. we finis and the rank 60 gets nearly a full bar of xp while the rest of us get like 1/2 to 1/3rd.

It works how it's intended to.
The 60 has the skill of a much higher rank so it's shoving him out of your ranks so he's not bodying everyone lazily, while everyone else is in their correct ranking spot.
It's this or the game lets him stay his low rank when he's playing very good and hes dragging everyones ranks up, which isn't per se fair because others didn't earn the rank, causing the issue of a bunch of 60s who are going to derank instantly.

ekim

I guess he didn't carry the rest of you through the match?

Well, it's hard to tell since you gave us so few numbers, but this could make perfect since.

If the 60 clearly needs to be a higher rank because he is playing THAT good, then it makes sense that the system would try to boost him up to get him to the area he needs to be.

Soulflarz

Banned
I guess he didn't carry the rest of you through the match?

It's not even necessarily a carry
if he places 99th percentile and does okay that match, the game still thinks overall he should be much higher and throws his rank up.

If the 60 clearly needs to be a higher rank because he is playing THAT good, then it makes sense that the system would try to boost him up to get him to the area he needs to be.

Kor gets it. It's why the game doesn't want 50s to play with 60s and 70s- it makes the game really hard for everyone.

ekim

Well, it's hard to tell since you gave us so few numbers, but this could make perfect since.

But assuming that 60 is always playing in a group of lower ranked people, You could easily boost your rank if you find a few worse players that play with you.

if he places 99th percentile and does okay that match, the game still thinks overall he should be much higher and throws his rank up.

Kor gets it. It's why the game doesn't want 50s to play with 60s and 70s- it makes the game really hard for everyone.

It's also why your first 10 or so games after you get your rank seem to give/take full levels after a match, but then later on, you're getting/losing 20-40% of a level each match.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's also why your first 10 or so games after you get your rank seem to give/take full levels after a match, but then later on, you're getting/losing 20-40% of a level each match.

Yep. We placed a friend 66, he's gonna fall hard, I feel bad.

The only way to undo that is play really really well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

that literally makes no sense. the game just magically knows he's 99th percentile so it's pushing him up quickly to get there? then just place him at rank 80 to start with, rofl.

Yep. We placed a friend 66, he's gonna fall hard, I feel bad.

My wife played her 10 matches with me. She placed at 66 (I'm currently floating in the low 70s. She refuses to go back into Comp. She figures she's probably at the best of where she is going to be, and that's okay.

that literally makes no sense. the game just magically knows he's 99th percentile so it's pushing him up quickly to get there? then just place him at rank 80 to start with, rofl.

We'd be able to articulate better if you gave us more numbers.

LiK

I would just like to reach 55 with a friend but no one wants to play Comp with me. My solo queue hell continues.

So many Roadhogs saving the team with clutch hooks on the Reddit sub. I'm the guy that hooks the nanoboosted Reinhardt into himself and gets clobbered. Literally did that today.

Soulflarz

Banned

It does, c9 placed mid-high 70s
I was using 99th as an example, he's probably not.

I know when I hit 99th I went 50s straight to 75 with my small group.

So many Roadhogs saving the team with clutch hooks on the Reddit sub. I'm the guy that hooks the nanoboosted Reinhardt into himself and gets clobbered. Literally did that today.

Hey, that's not necessarily a bad play. At least it takes him 2 or 3 swings to kill you still. Thus, you're stopping him from 1 shotting all your team squishies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom