• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I saw the equivalent of a Hoovy in Quick Play tonight.

A Roadhog on the enemy team just crouched on a bench on the balcony in Dorado near the second to last checkpoint.

brian!

there are probably moba things that most ppl in this thread have internalized even if they havent really played mobas, such as cd timers, playing more aggressive when an enemy wastes an important cd, taking advantage of death timers, targeting during fights, and so on

also dont forget harping about tier lists

J Range

I agree with the notion that we should assume our not so good team mates very well may be children. A lot of people will say things like "i dont know how a player above 50 is still doing bad thing". You can be talking about my 12 year old brother who is pretty good at rank 51, but hes 12 so he gets caught up chasing a genji across the map while you spam "group up" in anger on the point.

Anyone else notice how many players just quit after playing offense so they don't have to play defense?

I mean, it's their right to quit if they want but I hate it when people just quit when they know they have to do the tougher job of defending instead of attacking.

Syntax

snip

*Not saying GAF in specific, it's everywhere.

No worries there. Your post wasn't bad or wrong. But I thought it good to point out that we shouldn't always assume we've got all the answers. It is endemic to our hobby.

It's definitely true that if I think of them as kids who are just trying to have fun in a game playing a character they think is cool, it's less infuriating. Gotta work on that to lower the sodium. Lol.

Yeah, it really allows me to enjoy the game more when I'm not gritting my teeth at the double Hanzo pick or the ineffective Genji/Tracer. Conversely, it also sucks to hear or see people chew out others that you think might be kids or as just new to the game and actually trying.

I think a big problem is MOBA crowds and FPS crowds trying to play together. Lots of skill and knowledge gaps.

It's common thing to point to MOBAs and their communities as founts of toxicity. (Edit: Which I know you aren't doing.) But that's just the nature of competition, I feel. When I played Counter-Strike back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, it wasn't something we weren't aware of. Though I was fortunate to be a member of a cyber cafe that actually fostered a pleasant community. The fighting game communities aren't strangers to it either if the internet is to be believed.

The meshing of MOBA and FPS isn't something entirely new. Monday Night Combat did it six years ago and I'm sure there're those that came before it.

duckroll

I disagree about CS being as toxic as MOBAs due to it being competitive. I'm a dinosaur too, but the sort of toxicity I see as an observer in MOBA threads or even the way my friends and family talk about MOBAs is something else. Yes, competitive games makes assholes of everyone sometimes, but there has to be something about the dynamic of MOBAs as a genre which breeds a toxic attitude.

there are probably moba things that most ppl in this thread have internalized even if they havent really played mobas, such as cd timers, playing more aggressive when an enemy wastes an important cd, taking advantage of death timers, targeting during fights, and so on

also dont forget harping about tier lists

Hey I know all about those things! But I knew about them... before MOBAs existed. The former from RTS games, the latter from fighting games. Lol. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else notice how many players just quit after playing offense so they don't have to play defense?

I mean, it's their right to quit if they want but I hate it when people just quit when they know they have to do the tougher job of defending instead of attacking.

I just quit after every game pretty much because I like to play in quick spurts.

I prefer defending, honestly

Syntax

Right. Apologies. I didn't mean CS had equal amounts of bad behavior just that it wasn't a foreign concept as a CS player.

Overwatch is probably uniquely positioned as a Blizzard hero shooter. The polish, aesthetic, and brand (read: accessibility) give it wide appeal and so draw in players that might be unfamiliar or unused to the mess of genres.

As for the game itself: WHERE ARE MY NEW SKINS?!

The currency is just piling up and if I don't get to spend it soon, I'm gonna explode. I get more currency rares than I do skins, also, which I know is probably better but it feels so lackluster.

Soulflarz

Banned
No worries there. Your post wasn't bad or wrong. But I thought it good to point out that we shouldn't always assume we've got all the answers. It is endemic to our hobby.

Yep, that's why I'm trying hard to contribute to this thread on the more statistical side. I'd much rather help figure out why rank and such doesn't move instead of just summing it all up to "my teammates are awful gah", because the first step to overcoming such a problem (in this case, being whatever rank you are vs the rank you want to be for so much of the thread), I'd much rather help come up with a consistent method to help people get a higher number, assuming they're actually improving day over day. I've gathered and posted most of my info, but I feel like I'm missing something still, if only because my rank stopped following my theory after we grabbed another friend and went 0-3. All I know is posting "ugh" doesn't help us get anywhere, and I'd much rather support the thread in that regard.

The twist there being most people don't want to be told that's not the issue at hand but it's not really a popular fact to throw out there at all.

Just saw a Reinhardt get PotG for charging a single Genji off the edge. It said "Lifesaver" but I'm pretty sure there was no one else on their team there at the time.

Obviously, we won that match. Their team seemed totally disorganized and there was a Hanzo sitting in a corner firing at nothing and no one.

duckroll

As for the game itself: WHERE ARE MY NEW SKINS?!

I'm expecting them mid-August around Gamescom. That's the week the Competitive Season ends, and they'll probably have a panel or something at Gamescom talking about new content. Seems like the perfect time to roll out stuff.

Just saw a Reinhardt get PotG for charging a single Genji off the edge. It said "Lifesaver" but I'm pretty sure there was no one else on their team there at the time.

Obviously, we won that match. Their team seemed totally disorganized and there was a Hanzo sitting in a corner firing at nothing and no one.
I wonder if maybe genji had just triggered his ult or had 100%? It definitely seems like the game gives a huge boost for that for potg, that genji could have murdered 4 people man!

Gator86

I'm expecting them mid-August around Gamescom. That's the week the Competitive Season ends, and they'll probably have a panel or something at Gamescom talking about new content. Seems like the perfect time to roll out stuff.

I'm hoping you're right. I'd love a big August patch with a handful of maps, new skins for everyone, a new mode, and maybe a new character.

Soulflarz

Banned
oh, page moved more, making it a new post instead of a large edit

OW is 'group toxic' but not toxic to each other unless you actively piss someone off who you play with. It's moreso a wall of people going "man I lost because x or y and it's annoying" in a weird way because basically everyone agrees to this that it happens to them too causing them to be where they currently are, which means it's everyone agreeing everyones awful, which in turn shows...everyone's similar to their rank possibly? Just food for thought, I can't back that up with evidence and I'm sure that symmetra main will actually enjoy her trip to rank 8 like she deserves.

*Well, did get a message saying I sucked the first match I've felt I carried in a week. Felt good when he said that on offense (I was highest in the game by a wide margin and did mediore the first round) and then clutched the other two rounds for my with two ults that took the spots. Won't even deny I felt smug sending him 'k' as he watched the POTG.
Most people aren't actively trying to dick you over in the community though or telling you to screw off for how you play, they realize it's just a game I hope. I mean, I find comp fun, ranking up really does have me wonder how far I can push that before I hit my limit, who wouldn't want to test that? Everyone's in the same boat there probably. I haven't noticed it like League though where you hear stories of people telling each other off in pure hate over how they play.

Does this game have voice chat on Xbox one? I got it tonight and my wife and I have been playing for a few hours and have not heard one single person talking yet.

Syntax

As long as they're made available shortly after the announcement. It's cruel enough I have to wait, but to dangle them in front of me like some kind of savoury meat is beyond cruel.

Yep, that's why I'm trying hard to contribute to this thread on the more statistical side. I'd much rather help figure out why rank and such doesn't move ...

Thank you for that by the way. I'm definitely guilty of equating my rank to my worth as an Overwatch player but the Blizzard talk about the ranking system and your posts in the thread alleviate some of that rank-shaming.

I wonder if maybe genji had just triggered his ult or had 100%? It definitely seems like the game gives a huge boost for that for potg, that genji could have murdered 4 people man!

The rest of their team was nowhere near the point. I don't recall if Genji had an ult ready or not, but he wouldn't have been able to do much with it from where he was standing.

duckroll

I'm hoping you're right. I'd love a big August patch with a handful of maps, new skins for everyone, a new mode, and maybe a new character.

I think that might be expecting too much... haha. I expect the skins, a new map, maybe two, possibly one with a new mode if they can finish it, new Competitive rules and rewards for the new season. That would be "a lot" as it is. I don't expect a new character until Sept or later. They want to have monthly meaningful content updates, so it makes sense to spread them out a bit.

Soulflarz

Banned
Thank you for that by the way. I'm definitely guilty of equating my rank to my worth as an Overwatch player but the Blizzard talk about the ranking system and your posts in the thread alleviate some of that rank-shaming.

Rank means something, but not quite as much as you'd think.
Statistically, a 70 can dent a team of 50s on his own to the point of carrying, but on the other side of that you can be a 50 and have the skill of a 70 and had 1 in a million bad luck in queue or be playing with friends who enjoy it on a more casual level.
I'm not really better than when I was a mid 60s (other than being more optimized and aware of certain strategies or situations from seeing them used to brutal efficiency), yet somehow people take my views on x or y more seriously because I'm higher (see OW Academy AMAs), which is rather silly, especially since I only know reaper and no one ever asks about him. We've all seen the posts asking for someone to post their overbuff in counter to stuff, and I can't say it's always the best metric for things. For example, I dragged my overbuff down when I flanked the entire team a match and solo pushed a payload for over a minute to a checkpoint because they never looked back (I don't even know how, don't ask) because my other stats weren't going up at all, but I was doing something very important for the team.

To reiterate, if you enjoy ranking up, good on you! Enjoy trying to get as far as you can. If you don't, good on you too, you do you.
Just don't really freak out if you end at 50 or 80, it's not the end of the world. Improve if you truly care, try to get great for the next season. Not worth feeling awful over unless your goal is something like top 500 and you fall out of it the last day of the season.

Gator86

I think that might be expecting too much... haha. I expect the skins, a new map, maybe two, possibly one with a new mode if they can finish it, new Competitive rules and rewards for the new season. That would be "a lot" as it is. I don't expect a new character until Sept or later. They want to have monthly meaningful content updates, so it makes sense to spread them out a bit.

Yeah, it sounded like they're going to provide maps or heroes with updates, but one can hope for a big content release now and again.

kubricks

How's mccree after thew new patch for those who tried it?
I think nerfing damage distance is a good call, so is recovery time (not recharge time) after using flashbang. Faster FTH firing speed also make fan-roll-fan become useful again.

Blizzard

Banned
These servers. Come on, now.
On PC, my competitive match had 3 of my teammates and 1 enemy simultaneously leave, right as we were about to capture the second point. My voicechat never worked after that.

They eventually reconnected. Then, as we were about to defend the first point, all 3 teammates and 1 enemy simultaneously disconnected again, causing an instant loss.

Lost full ranked points per usual. :(

duckroll

Yeah, it sounded like they're going to provide maps or heroes with updates, but one can hope for a big content release now and again.

Assuming that Blizzard has it all planned out and want updates to coincide with major events they can make a splash at...

July - Comic-con
Aug - Gamescom
Sep - Tokyo Game Show
Oct - Halloween
Nov - PAX Australia
Dec - Christmas

Gator86

Assuming that Blizzard has it all planned out and want updates to coincide with major events they can make a splash at...

July - Comic-con
Aug - Gamescom
Sep - Tokyo Game Show
Oct - Halloween
Nov - PAX Australia
Dec - Christmas

I could see something meaningful at Gamescom or TGS and at least some novelty costumes for the holidays. Imagining a Santa Torb and Elf Tracer is kind of great.

Just started a match to see three Genjis on my team and wondered what the hell I had just walked into.

We won even after they went quadruple Winston. This game is certainly something special.

Of course it probably helps that I was using Zenyatta.

Nimby

Banned
Is it reasonable to suspect that someone was using kb/m on console, or am I just being salty?

This Pharah bounced me with her concussion blast and got a direct hit on me before I hit the ground, and her Tracer buddy was just blinking around like crazy. She knew the maps, yet she was only level 28.

But, it's not all bad. It was the only game we lost today, climbed back from the hole all the way 54.

Soulflarz

Banned
Praying for control, 3 assault/3 payload/3 mix between them (aka 4.5 each, if you will) vs 3 control doesn't give me good odds for control :/

Is it reasonable to suspect that someone was using kb/m on console, or am I just being salty?

This Pharah bounced me with her concussion blast and got a direct hit on me before I hit the ground, and her Tracer buddy was just blinking around like crazy. She knew the maps, yet she was only level 28.

But, it's not all bad. It was the only game we lost today, climbed back from the hole all the way 54.

Overwatch doesn't support KB/M on console as far as I know.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

There are definitely converters out there that maps the controller to a kb/m setup.

Nimby

Banned
Overwatch doesn't support KB/M on console as far as I know.

Do any games actually support it, how do kb/m accessories even work on console? I mean I'm probably just tilted, but their aim was legit. It looked as good as any PC player.

There are definitely converters out there that maps the controller to a kb/m setup.

Okay. I'm probably just reaching though to justify getting stomped by a good team lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i had a game as Torbjorn earlier on Hanamura where I was basically using his m1 Hanzo style down the corridor that the attacking team always comes through and was just annihilating them. Headshot city on Lucio and shot a Genji out of the sky with one.

I wish I could say I meant to do it.

exYle

Remember when everyone thought defending was way easier than attacking?

Crzy1

Keep getting disconnected tonight, lost 2 ranks because of it. Hopefully the maintenance tomorrow fixes it, very annoying to drop out of the middle of a comp match.

UberLevi

Finally grabbed Overwatch after loving the beta. Obviously my skill level has dropped since then because I'm getting my ass kicked consistently.

Just got PotG with Ana...on console. I don't expect it to ever happen again.

But I at least got to use that highlight intro I got in a loot box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom