• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

i never noticed that her defense matrix can absorb everything including Junkrat's bombs. it never lasted long enough prebuff for me to notice.

Sande

Personally, I'd be in favor removing self damage in general. It VERY rarely happens, and I don't think it adds a whole lot to the game to die because you wasted used your ult or weapon in the wrong place.

The worst example I had was with Pharah. You know those things that hang from the ceiling the giant room in Liang Towers? I'm pretty sure they're scrolls of some kind, paper or whatever, but they don't fuck around with paper in China, because my rockets didn't make them twitch and killed me instead.

So I guess I'm pro-explosion immunity in general. If they don't hurt your team, they shouldn't hurt you.
They don't want Pharah and Junkrat to be godlike at point blank, which they would be if they couldn't hurt themselves.

Weird environmental collision is another thing entirely.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My favorite thing to absorb is still tracers photon bomb.

Oh you're charging in? I'll put up my dm to stop your stupid shots- oh you ulted? Sure I'll take that too.

LiK

good Zarya players are constantly giving teams an edge in Comp when i was soloing. i think i will start playing her more in QP to practice. i wanna be a great Zarya for Comp. not many groups i play with have played her or are the best with her.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
This game is one of the best first person shooters I've played. Well balanced (imo) and really fun alongside having a good strategy element.

Can anyone recommend a decent video tutorial for the ults? I often feel like I'm wasting them so some tips would be super helpful.

I feel Zarya greatly benefits from a solo crews lack of communication. If you have two people focus firing on her as soon as the bubble goes down she dies easily, but she can thrive in chaos where everyone is doing their own thing, not only failing to take her down but in fact making her stronger. The amount of times I've seen a Zarya at near full charge for extended periods in competitive is ridiculous to the point where I feel at least some people have missed the don't shoot the bubble memo.

good Zarya players are constantly giving teams an edge in Comp when i was soloing. i think i will start playing her more in QP to practice. i wanna be a great Zarya for Comp. not many groups i play with have played her or are the best with her.

The best thing about being the only person in the group that plays Zarya is that no one can tell when you're playing like shit.

DrArchon

Do Bastion POTGs still happen in the lower levels? Haven't seen one since the first 2 weeks of release...

I mean, Bastion can still get an easy triple kill just by catching the enemy team off guard and killing them all as they go around a corner or something. And if nothing else of note happens in the match, then yeah he gets the POTG.

It's definitely a lot rarer though.

Antiwhippy

The voting cards phase can be pretty embarrassing for zarya if you get the prjected barriers card that shows you block a really measley amount of damage.

Honestly, DVA being invulnerable to her ult is inconsistent with the game's rules. Every other character gets harmed by their own explosions, so I think she should too. If not for balancing reasons, just for the sake of consistency would be nice too.
Yes. Not that the game is ever consistent (e.g., Firestrike can go through Reinhardt's shield, but Genji can deflect it?), but this D.Va thing is too far. At least force her to boost her ult in, which adds some degree of skill. As it is, she can initiate a teamfight with little risk (because of her deep health, armor, and matrix), tap Q, and score free kills while skipping away unscathed.

The matrix change and shortened timer were more than enough of a boost.

The voting cards phase can be pretty embarrassing for zarya if you get the prjected barriers card that shows you block a really measley amount of damage.
I hate this dumb card. I'll have three golds and a bronze or something, and up pops a "projected barriers!" card to wow everyone with my prowess.

Antiwhippy

Yes. Not that the game is ever consistent (e.g., Firestrike can go through Reinhardt's shield, but Genji can deflect it?), but this D.Va thing is too far. At least force her to boost her ult in, which adds some degree of skill. As it is, she can initiate a teamfight with little risk (because of her deep health, armor, and matrix), tap Q, and score free kills while skipping away unscathed.

The matrix change and shortened timer were more than enough of a boost.

No, you really should actually be boosting your ult if you want to kill anyone with it. Pressing it in the middle of a fight with no boosting is an easy way to clear people off but it's usually long enough for people to get away.

I don't know. If the team doesn't play the objective and kind of huddle around Zarya is pretty useless. My games as Zarya swing wildly depending on what kind of group I've got.

You can't go wrong picking her on koth since activity is fairly focused. Easy to bubble people and get heals.

No, you really should actually be boosting your ult if you want to kill anyone with it. Pressing it in the middle of a fight with no boosting is an easy way to clear people off but it's usually long enough for people to get away.
It depends on the situation. There are certain KotH points where this is brutally effective. And again, this is a teamfight, not a solo D.Va situation. I don't even use D.Va more than one game in thirty, and I've gotten quads post-patch by shrugging and tapping Q when a fight's going badly.

Every other powerful offensive ult in the game, save Hanzo's (lol), requires you to put yourself in harm's way or risk being shut down. D.Va's is unstoppable, has zero risk factor, and then she gets to hop right back in her mech and keep trucking.

Antiwhippy

It depends on the situation. There are certain KotH points where this is brutally effective. And again, this is a teamfight, not a solo D.Va situation. I don't even use D.Va more than one game in thirty, and I've gotten quads post-patch by shrugging and tapping Q when a fight's going badly.

Every other powerful offensive ult in the game, save Hanzo's (lol), requires you to put yourself in harm's way or risk being shut down. D.Va's is unstoppable, has zero risk factor, and then she gets to hop right back in her mech and keep trucking.

because people still aren't used to the timing. Trust me when I say that people are used to it already.

Pooya

sometimes you want to just trigger it right on payload to push it to the end, it's auto win. It's not about getting kills, no one can contest the objective, that's way better. D.va ult wins overtime everytime.

Boosting is more tricky, you want to boost into the crowd outside of line of sight, it has to be surprise otherwise Reinhardt can just save the entire team, you can get 2-3 kills like that often. Heroes like Zen or Roadhog can't escape.

If you're good with D.va, she's extremely strong in dumpster ranks, really good for solo q in my experience. Your mech almost never get focus fired and the ult just wins the game any where your team needs a little push, in particular on second point of hanmura or anubis where you need some level coordination to win which doesn't exist.

Antiwhippy

sometimes you want to just trigger it right on payload to push it to the end, it's auto win. It's not about getting kills, no one can contest the objective, that's way better. D.va ult wins overtime everytime.

You could do that before the patch though. If you're going to win anyway it doesn't matter if you died.

because people still aren't used to the timing. Trust me when I say that people are used to it already.
I have no problem with the timing, and I most often successfully avoid D.Va ults unless it gets dropped on my head.

If you have your ult, this effectively gives you a health and armor pool of over 1,000 in addition to two full soaking charges of defense matrix and a nuke that kills people in a broad area. With a modicum of skill, that lets you run laps around every other hero in terms of being able to zone/contest a point.

This is even worse given the new Overtime rules. In that context, it's a win button.

You could do that before the patch though. If you're going to win anyway it doesn't matter if you died.
No you couldn't.

You either suicided, leaving someone else on your team to rush in and actually claim, or you had to leg it over there yourself after the detonation.

As it is now, you can push Q and zone the point while claiming it.

Gator86

Maybe? Sometimes teams just immediately disengage anyone I bubble so I block litle damage. My numbers look bad, but I basically have full discretion over who the enemy team targets which, turns out, is somewhat helpful.

Borden

Neo Member
I've been out of town since the PS4 update dropped. How's Mercy? I was getting to the point with her where it felt like she was less helpful than many others, before her nerf. Has anyone noticed a difference in the amount of people using her?

I've been out of town since the PS4 update dropped. How's Mercy? I was getting to the point with her where it felt like she was less helpful than many others, before her nerf. Has anyone noticed a difference in the amount of people using her?
She's dropped off significantly in the pro meta. A lot more Lucio/Zenyatta pairs now.

Mercy doesn't provide enough offensive power to justify her inclusion; you're basically playing 5v6 in exchange for her ult. Zenyatta can heal almost as fast, but can also debuff, add damage, and can still "counterspell" an enemy ultimate with his ultimate. There's basically no reason to play Mercy with Zenyatta being as survivable as he is now.

LiK

Mercy isn't as picked as often but still pretty reliable in some maps where her rez is pretty useful especially in OT.

Borden

Neo Member
My two most played characters were Mercy and Torb (I didn't stack, hence Mercy) then DVa. Since Mercy and Torb are now a lesser option and DVa (I'm assuming) is a highly picked character, what would you all suggest as my new best option?

brian!

Premier heroes atm are lucio, zen, mccree, and dva.

It is valuable to know reaper, genji, winston, zarya, reinhardt, tracer.

This is for pc btw

Blues1990

With regards to Bastion, do you guys think Blizzard should give him some TLC? For the most part, he's a very situational hero that's mediocre for Attack, okay-ish on Control Point, & is alright for Assault, Payload, or hybrid maps. But that's only when you consider the choke points, & even then, experience players know how to counter a player playing as Bastion. And there aren't many team configurations that work in his favour.

I think giving his shield back (in Sentry Mode) would be a good way to make him more viable without having this bot relying heavily on his teammates.

Same omg. I got a gold medal with 38 elims on Volskaya Defense as Zarya and it put up the stupid barrier one lmao

McCree is really starting to click with me, I've started to figure out his game plan properly. Like Reaper, it took me a while, but I think I've got it now.

Also yesterday I had the luxury of being in a full party so I went attack Symmetra on Route 66, and we won.

Symmetra, her power!

brian!

With regards to Bastion, do you guys think Blizzard should give him some TLC? For the most part, he's a very situational hero that's mediocre for Attack, okay-ish on Control Point, & is alright for Assault, Payload, or hybrid maps. But that's only when you consider the choke points, & even then, experience players know how to counter a player playing as Bastion. And there aren't many team configurations that work in his favour.

I think giving his shield back (in Sentry Mode) would be a good way to make him more viable without having this bot relying heavily on his teammates.

Id like if they made recon mode more involved, but in general any changes to him are kind of a slippery slope and i enjoy the niche role he has atm. In pro play he has seen success as a surprise koth pick. Def dont think sentry should have shield, glad they got rid of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom