• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

Id like if they made recon mode more involved, but in general any changes to him are kind of a slippery slope and i enjoy the niche role he has atm. In pro play he has seen success as a surprise koth pick. Def dont think sentry should have shield, glad they got rid of that
They could give his shield 500 HP instead of a thousand. Bastion is incredibly squishy, and he can get obliterated by almost anything in the game. (Junkrat's wheel, Hanzo's scattershot arrow, etc.) Recon should be a good alternative to buff, as I rarely see players use that mode when playing as Bastion.

Rad-

On console I hope they don't nerf McCrees range as hard. Pharah going to destroy.

They should really give Widowmaker back her old 150 damage body shots on consoles to help against Pharahs. It was dumb to nerf her back then. She was never OP with a controller.

Prelude.

Speaking of people who never change, you know what really pisses me off? When you have a Sym on Hanamura, Volskaya, or King's Row defense, and you lose the first point badly, it's clear the sentries totally didn't work for the enemy's comp, and they don't change for the rest of the game. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Welcome to the club.

My brain probably tried to forget about this so I didn't write it before but I had a match earlier on Anubis defense where a Symmetra (that, again, didn't switch after losing point A) put the teleporter inside the room with the healthpack (from the B spawn, go outside the gate, down and left until you find that room) and obviously people were pretty pissed when they found out they were basically in the middle of the map when the enemy team was attacking point B, so our Symmetra's reply was "Teleporters are for flanking."

Literally this: https://gfycat.com/AnxiousHastyAtlanticridleyturtle

Palmer_v1

His turret mode should maybe get some more armor from the front, but have no heal access, and change the heal in recon mode to be on a cool down similar to Soldiers, and be usable while moving and shooting. I would also increase the length of time it takes to switch modes.

It would make him slightly harder to kill from the front in turret mode, but easier to kill with chip damage if he's unsupported. In recon mode, he would be able to stay mobile and contribute more actively.

Ideally, he'd shoot about as well as Soldier in recon mode, with similar healing that is more mobile, but less team friendly. He'd have less burst due to no helix rocket, and less speed with no sprint. I can't remember how their health totals compare right now, but he'd still have a larger character model, and thus be easier to kill overall than a Soldier.

Blizzard

Banned
What's the downside of Soldier's ult? McCree is stationary before he can trigger the instant kills. Reaper is trapped in a kill animation during his.

Not every ult has to have a specific downside, the skill involved is HOW you use it. Dva's ult is relatively useless unless it is aimed right, you have to aim and use boost before triggering it. The immediate risk is that you lose the mech and if you aimed poorly and find yourself with an enemy who is behind a wall or shield who can shoot at you, you can die before you get back into a mech. Soldier's ult is wasted if you don't flank well and get in the best position to shoot the most enemies.

How about Roadhog's ult? It's relatively risk free with high reward in most situations too. He has tons of health and it does a ton of damage especially in narrow places. Tracer's ult? Stick it behind a tank surrounded by the team and BOOM. Hanzo's ult? He doesn't even have to be anywhere near the players. Torb's ult? What risk?
Hanzo ult is a huge example of an ult with no downside.

Soldier 76 ult actually has a massive downside -- no headshots. You can do LESS damage and potentially not kill stuff if your aim is good.

I play a lot of D.Va and still waste ults often. I agree aiming it is important.

They should really give Widowmaker back her old 150 damage body shots on consoles to help against Pharahs. It was dumb to nerf her back then. She was never OP with a controller.
Especially now that Zen would no longer die from a body shot. This leaves only Tracer, and if you manage to land a shot on Tracer, they probably weren't playing very well tbh.

Gator86

I don't think he should be buffed, I think he should be reworked.

Yeah, he's not really in a good place. He's still instant, unrelenting death to scrubs and poorly cooperating teams, but also completely helpless and a waste of a slot against any level of competence. Just a bad spot for him to be in overall.

Defuser

Man, I'm really really really really really really digging McCree even with the nerf to mid range dmg. He still can do decent dmg at mid if you aim right and his FTH buffs omg is so good and reliable. Now I can kill alot of characters with the Flashbang FTH combo without worries something will fuck up.

xaosslug

wrt all the D.Va complaining I feel like a lot of peeps are just mad they missed the boat/never gave her a chance, so months later they are up against D.Va players (that have been putting up w/ her disadvantages/working through them) that are even more of a force to be reckoned with.

i mean figure it out? It's just like Torb nerf on consoles - instead of whining/demanding a nerf: FIGURE IT OUT. smh

It depends on the situation. There are certain KotH points where this is brutally effective. And again, this is a teamfight, not a solo D.Va situation. I don't even use D.Va more than one game in thirty, and I've gotten quads post-patch by shrugging and tapping Q when a fight's going badly.

Every other powerful offensive ult in the game, save Hanzo's (lol), requires you to put yourself in harm's way or risk being shut down. D.Va's is unstoppable, has zero risk factor, and then she gets to hop right back in her mech and keep trucking.

eh, it's def stoppable. It can be shielded (unlike Hanzo's...) and pushed away/off a cliff, which has happened to me more than once.

peeps can whine about D.Va buff as much as they want, but she's been on the recieving end of shit since the game's release, and there are far more 'unfair' ults out there to grumble over (Honzo's CAN GO THROUGH FUCKING WALLS -__-)

Defuser

Soldier 76 ult actually has a massive downside -- no headshots. You can do LESS damage and potentially not kill stuff if your aim is good.

You do realize if Soldier's aimbot comes with a headshot dmg,it will be brokenly op right? You could wipe the whole team easily from a safe distance even if the crosshair keeps jumping around target to target because headshot dmg will kill them faster that it doesn't matter. I wouldn't call that a downside, there's a reason why Blizzard didn't do that.

Soldier's Ult is meant to use to flank/ambush enemies that are not tanks or to give a extra push.

xaosslug

In what zany world are you people playing where a Hanzo ult is harder to avoid than a post-patch D.Va ult.

that's beside the point. Peeps are whining about the 'fair play' of D.Va's ult because she doesn't need to hide from it anymore, meanwhile there's an ult out there THAT GOES THROUGH WALLS. -_______-

duckroll

Just realized that Blizzcon is at the start of November. November is also when they're releasing the digital version of the First Strike graphic novel.

November update = Liao?????

Gator86

hanzo is the most irrelevant character in Overwatch

I'm fine with that. Hanzo adds nothing enjoyable to the game for me. Getting randomly headshotted from a stray arrow aimed at something else is fucking infuriating. I'm fine with Widow and Ana as snipers. I find Hanzo, and everything about his kit, fucking awful. His aim free scatter arrow and ult that goes through walls can fuck off too.

Defuser

if Hanzo was irrelevant than why is he my main?

I was playing on PS4 with a gaf person yesterday and was getting trash talked by a Hanzo.

Because McCree, Widowmaker,Soldier7 wipes the floor with Hanzo at mid range because of their hitscan?

Hanzo has no self heals.
No escape methods.
Arrow hurtbox got fixed makes it harder to land shots.
At mid rage he is dead, at close range he is even more dead than Reaper.

Come and play PC and you will see why everybody hates him for being the most useless character ever but yet every random idiots uses him.

Nudull

Banned
I wanted to like Hanzo because he's ranged and Widow was blah to me, but he's really not that good a character. His ult is the only thing he's got going for him.

xaosslug

Because McCree, Widowmaker,Soldier7 wipes the floor with Hanzo at mid range because of their hitscan?

Hanzo has no self heals.
No escape methods.

Come and play PC and you will see why everybody hates him for being the most useless character ever but yet every random idiots uses him.

someone once told me they main Hanzo because the the way he runs reminds them of Naruto, so they feel like Naruto when they play him... esp in the wolf skin. xD

brian!

Havent encountered hanzo in competitive myself, but i saw him used to pretty good effect on attack for hollywood's first point in some tourney

Rad-

Havent encountered hanzo in competitive myself, but i saw him used to pretty good effect on attack for hollywood's first point in some tourney

He's good in some parts of maps. Like the first half of Gibraltar is wrecktown with him. Or was before they nerfed projectile hitboxes.

FoxSpirit

Hanzo has no self heals.
No escape methods.

Wow, calm down there. I rather see a Hanzo than a Widow in SoloQ. At least he will deal damage and be close to the objective.

brian!

Yeah in general ill give the benefit of the doubt to ppl picking widow or hanzo even if i dont find it optimal

Im iffy about torb players if anything, dont mind bastion as much but i feel kinda constrained comp-wise when someonr wants to pick him

Foxxsoxx

Hanzo has no self heals.
No escape methods.

He could definitely do with some small buffs but I wouldn't call him useless.

A good Hanzo is fantastic, however like Widow, a bad Hanzo is very, very bad which makes Hanzo, very very sad.

That being said, I do wish Hanzo moved a little faster and had a double jump.

Defuser

At least he will deal damage and be close to the objective.
cnjhffhvyaaqayf49xke.jpg
Thats the greatest joke ever. A hanzo player being close to objective and a team player LOL. I don't know which bizarro world is that.

Defuser

He could definitely do with some small buffs but I wouldn't call him useless.

A good Hanzo is fantastic, however like Widow, a bad Hanzo is very, very bad which makes Hanzo, very very sad.

That being said, I do wish Hanzo moved a little faster and had a double jump.

Thats the thing, the only viable way to play Hanzo is to play aggressive but apparently alot of hanzo players are too braindead to ever think about that and rather snipe from afar missing half their shots.

Simply buffing/tweaking values of Hanzo is not the way because his arrows already deal decent damage and upping his health doesn't make a difference. It's his whole skillset that needs to be overhaul/retool because he is already at a disadvantage for having a traveling projectile and he can't even depend on his skillset to keep him alive.

No_Style

Before last night, I've often found it tough to gauge the effectiveness of a good Tracer teammate during a match but just seeing the trickle of heroes coming towards a CP instead of an entire group in Competitive fills me with pride for our effective Brit.

Thats the thing, the only viable way to play Hanzo is to play aggressive but apparently alot of hanzo players are too braindead to ever think about that and rather snipe from afar missing half their shots.

Simply buffing/tweaking values of Hanzo is not the way because his arrows already deal decent damage and upping his health doesn't make a difference. It's his whole skillset that needs to be overhaul/retool because he is already at a disadvantage for having a traveling projectile and he can't even depend on his skillset to keep him alive.

It's obvious that he's supposed to be a scout of some sort and I think a step in the right direction would be to rework how Sonic Arrow functions right now. More arrows that don't last as long instead of one on a long cool down.

Defuser

I have never posted in this thread but I need to get this off my chest:

The game would be so much better if Trobjorn didn't exist.

Genji? Soldier 76? McCree? Pharah? Junkrat. All these heroes can take out torb's turrets from a distance, it's up to you whether you want to make a priority or expect your teammates to do it for you.

I encountered 3 torb players at Hanamura point B. I just switch to pharah, stand outside the building and shoot rockets from afar which practically gave me a free ult. Flank the right and justice the turret and torb's ass.

Skii

Yeah Hanzo needs a massive buff. Decided to play him for like a week and my eliminations were around 16 which is shocking. I'm usually at around 35+. He has no mobility and counters nothing from what I can tell.

Defuser

It's obvious that he's supposed to be a scout of some sort and I think a step in the right direction would be to rework how Sonic Arrow functions right now. More arrows that don't last as long instead of one on a long cool down.
But Blizzard labeled him as a sniper, he can't be a scout when he doesn't even have a mobility/escape/counter means to get back alive. Heck I bet the upcoming rumor Sombra will be a better scout than Hanzo.

Do most people even know that Torb was nerfed? He is still picked a lot. And how would the casual Torb player notice that his only source of kills is doing less damage? All they would notice is less kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom