• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
tl;dr no one understands the system but we think winning a lot increases rank and you need to be good and helping your team win, as in outplaying everyone matters a lot. Also doing well 10 matches and mediocre the 11th doesn't mean you won't get a full rank.

You're better with characters x or y so you get more rank with them.

ksan

tl;dr no one understands the system but we think winning a lot increases rank and you need to be good and helping your team win. Also doing well 10 matches and mediocre the 11th doesn't mean you won't get a full rank.

You're better with characters x or y so you get more rank with them.

i think its pretty clear that streaks matter a lot more than any other factor at the very least

Soulflarz

Banned
i think its pretty clear that streaks matter a lot more than any other factor at the very least

It's performance then streaks, since you and your friend can play the same matches and end up with huge rank differences. Guessing streaks of outplaying is the correct answer.

The issue being no one has any idea how the hell to qualify outplaying your rank.

FoxSpirit

bastion? are we in the open beta OT?
A Torbjorn could never completely stop my whole team. I'll take that turret solo, doesn't matter. But a protected Bastion. That needs a minimum of coordination and prioritising. Though to be fair, I feel like teams have been getting better as of late here in Europe. I guess the total horrible players feel into the 20s at some point.

Also, I have to hand it to Lucio: my main task is zipping around, giving off an occasional shot and seeing that that "people in effect radius" stays high at all time. 40% team heal. That makes Mercy super stressful in comparison to get even close. So Lucio it is. But he needs better skins. Not too fond of what is on offer. In other news:

roadhogskinsharkobsi7.png

Nice chest.

ksan

So Torbjorn is still utterly broken on console after the patch. I'm fucking done with Overwatch on PS4, it's just not fun anymore.

Well, if you keep telling urself that, it might feel like that for you, obviously most people don't seem to agree with you.

FoxSpirit

So Torbjorn is still utterly broken on console after the patch. I'm fucking done with Overwatch on PS4, it's just not fun anymore.
He is so not. His turret's damage output is only middling and someone like DVa and Reaper can easily kill it if they get on top of it. Reinhardt's shield is also basically immune to it. Tracer can blink to it and kill it. The only bullshit is in Hollywood on the elevator, makes it impossible to run up to and hard to hit.

Well put it this way, when you're playing Quick Play it would be stupid not to stack Torbjorn when you're defending. And sure it's possible to counter A Torbjorn but even that's frustrating and no fun, plus if you don't have good coordination with your team then you're fucked. Nobody ever runs just one Torbjorn though.

It might be different on Competitive I don't know, I don't play it.

Gator86

Torb is definitely broken on consoles now. His turret is mostly useless. I'm like #190 in comp with Torb now and I don't play him anymore because he's a joke. He's okay for trolling garbage Tracers and stuff in quickplay, but that's it.

matmanx1

Had a couple great games with amazing teammates. When Overwatch is at its best, it might be the best game this gen. Picked up the rapid discord trophy and rank 70 is just over the horizon.

Totally agree on the bolded text. When Overwatch is at its best, it is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever.

His turret mode should maybe get some more armor from the front, but have no heal access, and change the heal in recon mode to be on a cool down similar to Soldiers, and be usable while moving and shooting. I would also increase the length of time it takes to switch modes.

It would make him slightly harder to kill from the front in turret mode, but easier to kill with chip damage if he's unsupported. In recon mode, he would be able to stay mobile and contribute more actively.

Ideally, he'd shoot about as well as Soldier in recon mode, with similar healing that is more mobile, but less team friendly. He'd have less burst due to no helix rocket, and less speed with no sprint. I can't remember how their health totals compare right now, but he'd still have a larger character model, and thus be easier to kill overall than a Soldier.

I posted up some similar stuff a couple of weeks ago and everyone disagreed and said "no he's fine, leave him alone". I'm not and never have been advocating for a change in power levels but it would be nice if he wasn't boring and didn't feel half baked. He needs some spice, somewhere, somehow and I would love to see recon mode get some love.

Your rank ups and down are based more on your participation of everything. Medals are kind of a good starting point.

If you're getting shit for medals, don't expect your rank to go up much from a win. If you're getting 4 or 5 golds, you probably wont lose much rank from a loss.

I seem to be averaging about 50 kills when I play KotH maps. I usually gain a full level from them when I win.

I'm terrible at capture maps, and will be lucky to have a bronze (usually in damage done). If we win, I'll gain like 15% of a rank. if we lose, I'll drop like 80% of a rank.

I'm pretty sure this is right and if so, does that mean that playing a low damage character is actually a bad idea if you care about rank gain? Someone like Lucio is almost never going to medal in dmg done or elims (if the offense is doing its job). Just a thought.

Well put it this way, when you're playing Quick Play it would be stupid not to stack Torbjorn when you're defending. And sure it's possible to counter A Torbjorn but even that's frustrating and no fun, plus if you don't have good coordination with your team then you're fucked. Nobody ever runs just one Torbjorn though.

"I hate stacking, but I don't play the mode where stacking isn't allowed."

This is what I see.

I'm pretty sure this is right and if so, does that mean that playing a low damage character is actually a bad idea if you care about rank gain? Someone like Lucio is almost never going to medal in dmg done or elims (if the offense is doing its job). Just a thought.

Huh?

What are you talking about I see Lucio's get Golds all the time. Healing is a freebie. A good Lucio also peppers damage out and gets eliminations. Lucio's almost always have Objective Time because of their survivability with that damn wall riding.

The only thing you wont have is Damage Done.

abundant

So it's looking like I was right when they announced the Torb nerf. The nerf killed non stacked Torb, but didn't fix the real problem, which is Multi Torb.

ksan

take angles

Gator86

I can empathize w/ not wanting to deal w/ a bunch of torbs

Absolutely. It's not especially fun, but quickplay is perpetual trash now so it's not surprising. Comp is basically the only way to play the game in an enjoyable fashion for the most part.

Other heroes when stacked aren't anywhere near as frustrating as multiple Torbjorns. This isn't merely a stacking issue.

Sure they are.

Stacking the following sucks the play against:

Genji
Tracer
Reaper
Mei
Torb
DVa
Zarya
Lucio

I'd take 2 torbs over 2 Genji/Tracers any day of the week. Genji if fucking annoying, and usually requires a large amount of focus fire to take down. Good luck getting that in quick play.

abundant

Other heroes when stacked aren't anywhere near as frustrating as multiple Torbjorns. This isn't merely a stacking issue.

That's because for other stacks to work, you need some form of coordination. Multi Torb is the easiest stack to pull off because it doesn't need any coordination to become frustrating.

RemiLP

Your rank ups and down are based more on your participation of everything. Medals are kind of a good starting point.

If you're getting shit for medals, don't expect your rank to go up much from a win. If you're getting 4 or 5 golds, you probably wont lose much rank from a loss.

I seem to be averaging about 50 kills when I play KotH maps. I usually gain a full level from them when I win.

I'm terrible at capture maps, and will be lucky to have a bronze (usually in damage done). If we win, I'll gain like 15% of a rank. if we lose, I'll drop like 80% of a rank.

Sounds like a horrible way to decide rank. Shouldn't be based on anything more than win or lose imo. Everything else dosnt really mather.

Stacked Torbs are even less of a concern with the D.Va buffs than they were before, without going into the fact that even Reapers can now go face-to-face with a turret and kill it first.

The last single Torb I've seen since the patch switched to a Bastion after the first point was lost. The last stacked Torb I've seen was in Competitive, pre-patch.

Sounds like a horrible way to decide rank. Shouldn't be based on anything more than win or lose imo. Everything else dosnt really mather.

Sure it does. Otherwise you get groups with twinks or tag alongs.

Or you get groups of 5 offering their "services" for cash to get you up to rank XX.

Winning is important, but contributing matters.

ohkay

I regularly get elimination medals as lucio because I'm constantly firing and tag a bunch of people, but I do manage a fair amount of kills and decent amounts of damage for a support

TheDanimal

I regularly get elimination medals as lucio because I'm constantly firing and tag a bunch of people, but I do manage a fair amount of kills and decent amounts of damage for a support
One of my favorite parts of playing Lucio is "getting mad" at everyone else when I have gold in elims. It can usually get them to start killing more, haha.

matmanx1

This is what I see.

Huh?

What are you talking about I see Lucio's get Golds all the time. Healing is a freebie. A good Lucio also peppers damage out and gets eliminations. Lucio's almost always have Objective Time because of their survivability with that damn wall riding.

The only thing you wont have is Damage Done.

On PC, the only time I get Obj kills gold medal with Lucio is on a KoTH map. If I'm on attack I'm sticking close to the "middle" of the group and that number goes way down. Obj time depends on the map also. I'm not going to go skate around the objective if most of my team is running back from spawn or holding the enemy off the point.

Healing is a freebie, no question.

Gator86

Yeah, Lucio should be gold in kills a lot. Lucio's main role is to never die and support the team. If you're never dead, you're tagging lots of enemies which gets lots of elims.

RemiLP

Sure it does. Otherwise you get groups with twinks or tag alongs.

Or you get groups of 5 offering their "services" for cash to get you up to rank XX.

Winning is important, but contributing matters.

Yeah i can see the problem for groups. I was mostly thinking about solo where everything is random but yourselfe. So if you do good, it will result in more wins in the long run.

ksan

other effects are negligible compared to actually winning/losing, as you cant gain point while losing and vice versa

On PC, the only time I get Obj kills gold medal with Lucio is on a KoTH map. If I'm on attack I'm sticking close to the "middle" of the group and that number goes way down. Obj time depends on the map also. I'm not going to go skate around the objective if most of my team is running back from spawn or holding the enemy off the point.

Healing is a freebie, no question.

Ahh, because aiming is hindered on Console, Lucio's will ride the payload and jump all over the place avoiding fire. It's incredibly annoying, and usually results in Lucio's having Gold for Objective times.

Gator86

Ahh, because aiming is hindered on Console, Lucio's will ride the payload and jump all over the place avoiding fire. It's incredibly annoying, and usually results in Lucio's having Gold for Objective times.

Absolutely. I've seen a Lucio go on the payload for 30 seconds or more with literally an entire team trying to kill him. Console aiming is fucking wretched. People really underestimate just how bad it is most of the time.

Veelk

Banned

This is what I see.

Because competitive is too intense. It's a game mode designed around being an optimized fighting unit at all times, and I only want that sometimes. Other times, I want something more casual. I want to be able to play Widow without basically not functioning as a team member.

"So that's what QP is for"

No. Stacking isn't just an exploitable mechanic that doesn't belong in 'serious' game sessions, it's a bad mechanic that doesn't belong anywhere except the true goof off mode that is the weekly brawl. It's not fun to play with or play against, and the elements that are exploitable about it are no less exploitable in QP.

If I had it my way, my ideal game mode would be a statless QP mode with no stacking allowed. Lack of stats make it a casual environment, but stack prevention allows doesn't stupidity in team comp. Because right now, choosing between QP and Comp is choosing to either have protectionless sex with a questionable stranger or protected sex with a dominatrix that you're not entirely comfortable with.

Because competitive is too intense. It's a game mode designed around being an optimized fighting unit at all times, and I only want that sometimes. Other times, I want something more casual. I want to be able to play Widow without basically not functioning as a team member.

"So that's what QP is for"

No. Stacking isn't just an exploitable mechanic that doesn't belong in 'serious' game sessions, it's a bad mechanic that doesn't belong anywhere except the true goof off mode that is the weekly brawl. It's not fun to play with or play against, and the elements that are exploitable about it are no less exploitable in QP.

If I had it my way, my ideal game mode would be a statless QP mode with no stacking allowed. Lack of stats make it a casual environment, but stack prevention allows doesn't stupidity in team comp. Because right now, choosing between QP and Comp is choosing to either have protectionless sex with a questionable stranger or protected sex with a dominatrix that you're not entirely comfortable with.

I disagree. I solo queue like 80% of the time, and I prefer Comp just because it has less leavers, so the overall game feels more fun. The games feel more structured, and I enjoy that.

Any stress from playing Comp is stress you're putting on yourself. It's as big as deal as you make it out to be.

Veelk

Banned
I love Reaper's Nevermore suit.

It looks so goofy.

I disagree. I solo queue like 80% of the time, and I prefer Comp just because it has less leavers, so the overall game feels more fun. The games feel more structured, and I enjoy that.

Any stress from playing Comp is stress you're putting on yourself. It's as big as deal as you make it out to be.

I like Comp as well, but situationally. I don't want to play it as my regular mode. But it's the only mode that doesn't have the obviously bad mechanic in it.

If QP had stacking, I'd probably play Comp every 5th game. Right now, it's about an even split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom