• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

I disagree. I solo queue like 80% of the time, and I prefer Comp just because it has less leavers, so the overall game feels more fun. The games feel more structured, and I enjoy that.

Any stress from playing Comp is stress you're putting on yourself. It's as big as deal as you make it out to be.

Absolutely. I always comp solo and it's the best way to play. Less leaving, people actually try to win, generally higher level of play, better team compositions, etc. It's just the only way to play the game of Overwatch. Quickplay is some hellish mirror version of it without any of those good things I mentioned.

xaosslug

gotta go with the other one guys

HQzHEAP.jpg

'CUMMIES'

welp.

ejmr6OP.gif

caesar

Banned
I disagree. I solo queue like 80% of the time, and I prefer Comp just because it has less leavers, so the overall game feels more fun. The games feel more structured, and I enjoy that.

Any stress from playing Comp is stress you're putting on yourself. It's as big as deal as you make it out to be.

Agreed, comp is really not that stressful. Especially on console where no one can even communicate.

Its really nothing compared to the sc2 ladder, holy fuck that was anxiety central.

AngryMoth

I love destroying Rynhearts that charge in with zen. Discord, pew pew pew, dead.

Here's a question for you guys: what do you think are biggest differences between PC and console right now in terms of balance. Which heroes are strong, which are weak, etc

I love destroying Rynhearts that charge in with zen. Discord, pew pew pew, dead.

Here's a question for you guys: what do you think are biggest differences between PC and console right now in terms of balance. Which heroes are strong, which are weak, etc

That's easy.

Does the hero require a high degree of aiming?

If yes, Hero is seen on PC much more than on Console.

Rad-

I don't know why I didn't play Tracer before but holy crap she is good in koth maps. On console nobody can really hit her so you can just run around lalalaa.

Was something up with Overwatch last night? I did some solo queue (I really shouldn't have but I did). I had 2 games where a teammate quit out of nowhere (we weren't winning or losing, round 1), it just didn't make sense. Then, twice I get put on a team where they just destroyed the enemy team. So much so that they quit before the first round even ends (they were getting destroyed, we strolled through the objectives with ease). I think I got a bronze medal for the objective time, I barely even participated in killing the enemy. I was awarded with quite possibly the smallest rank gains I have ever seen, both matches. I took screenshots because it was so fucked up how small gain they were. I've had some small gains before but these... just took the cake.

I'll post the screenshots later, but fuck I went to bed all bitter even though I had a 2 win streak at the end (but no rank gain).

Veelk

Banned
I just had some of my most embarassing deaths.

One, a Roadhog was ulting, so I had DM up. It was about to run out, but I was also dying from getting shot in other directions. I had my ult ready, so I decided to hit it and atleast clear the area. The roadhog had been positioning himself in front of me and the door and in the last moment, my DM ran out and as I activated my ult, he knocked me out of the arena. :/

Then I somehow died to an other D.va's ult even though I was covered. Somehow :|

And then the last match I was getting so mad because this fucking tracer would not goddamn leave me alone. Any time I got out of my meka, she would chase me down. It was annoying as shit and while I don't know if I'd say she's overpowered or anything, on consoles, it's infuriating how unkillable this Sonic wannabe is.

Ok....I got robbed.

I get a Dva self destruct off and get quad kill. Drop a spray and it's the salt spray.

When the POTG plays it's the default spray.

I GOT ROBBED OF SALT AND NOW I'M SALTY!

AND I GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE!

Some anecdotal data on how competitive ranks are calculated; yesterday I stuck to playing Pharah and rarely switched heroes and got around 4 rank pips per win, today I played a number of different heroes including healers and got around 2.5 pips per win. We played with most of the same crew and both days I hovered between 57 and 60 rank.

Might be coincedence, but it would be real silly if the way rank was calculated discouraged hero switching.

Also:

Ok....I got robbed.

I get a Dva self destruct off and get quad kill. Drop a spray and it's the salt spray.

When the POTG plays it's the default spray.

I GOT ROBBED OF SALT AND NOW I'M SALTY!

AND I GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE!

I've found that sprays rarely load in time during PotG since the last couple patches. On console, at least.

brian!

Some anecdotal data on how competitive ranks are calculated; yesterday I stuck to playing Pharah and rarely switched heroes and got around 4 rank pips per win, today I played a number of different heroes including healers and got around 2.5 pips per win. We played with most of the same crew and both days I hovered between 57 and 60 rank.

Might be coincedence, but it would be real silly if the way rank was calculated discouraged hero switching.

Also:

when I play I switch around a bunch and I'm usually in a party with ppl who don't switch, we get pretty similar changes in rank, sometimes I get more sometimes I get less

Nudull

Banned
I've rarely seen people actually use sprays in the middle of the match. I figured people just dick around with them during the countdown.

xaosslug

When should i not use Zenyatta's ult to counter an ult? As in which ults can he not counter?

Mei? I've had Zeny doing his thing, meanwhile Mei's still getting in her headshots. -__-

the BEST way I've seen Zen's ult utilised (by an opposing team) was 'ult protection' - like Zeny goes ult and then Reaper or Pharah does theirs, or he uses it to protect Bastion as he clears out the point in turret form, etc.

Crzy1

Quick Question: As far as pc monitors go, what ones would you guys can recommend?
I'm using an ROG Swift PG279Q. Not cheap, but it's been a solid performer. Kind of stopped watching monitor tech recently, so it may no longer be the top of the line, but the price might have come down a bit by now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4 people ragequit another comp game. Half a level lost.

They need to seriously mess with people who do this.

I've rarely seen people actually use sprays in the middle of the match. I figured people just dick around with them during the countdown.

Only time people tend to use sprays and emotes is if they think they landed a POTG ult. Especially with Dva given how she can just launch her mech and then do whatever

ohkay

Only time people tend to use sprays and emotes is if they think they landed a POTG ult. Especially with Dva given how she can just launch her mech and then do whatever
I saw a reaper do the throat slit emote when he killed someone so I walked up to him and headshot him

Gator86

4 people ragequit another comp game. Half a level lost.

They need to seriously mess with people who do this.

Leaving should absolutely savage people's ranks. My suggestion from an earlier post was to lose one rank per leave for each game left that season. So, on your fifth left game, you would lose five ranks. That would absolutely obliterate ranks for leavers and put them down in the dregs where they belong.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I give up.

Today is just one of those days I shouldn't play MP games where you lose 9/10 games and the one you win isn't even satisfying because the weight of those other 9 has just made you bitter.

It's days like this that I'd love to have a stat-less, no bullshit mode, but noooo, I can only play sane, no bullshit games in a mode where that is all about performing at your best, which I am not, so not only did I lose my games, I lost rank and just feel shitty about the whole thing.

And this is why I don't want Comp to be the only place where you can avoid stacked heroes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Leaving should absolutely savage people's ranks. My suggestion from an earlier post was to lose one rank per leave for each game left that season. So, on your fifth left game, you would lose five ranks. That would absolutely obliterate ranks for leavers and put them down in the dregs where they belong.

Pretty sure this does happen. I lost one full rank when the game kicked me out during character select because it considered that as me leaving.

It's weird...

You have a QP match and your team is apparently a group of players and you get steamrolled.

5 mins later you go competitive and you end up facing against that same group of players and they get steamrolled

It's a weird feeling to know that they are probably blaming everyone but themselves.

Anne

Quick Question: As far as pc monitors go, what ones would you guys can recommend?

Anything with 144Hz. If you're playing an FPS like Overwatch that framerate increase is way more noticable than anything else.

I use an ASUS VG248QE, thy can be found at reasonable prices and it's a good entry point for 144Hz.

Gator86

Pretty sure this does happen. I lost one full rank when the game kicked me out during character select because it considered that as me leaving.

One rank is relatively minor though. Frequent leavers should absolutely have their ranks completely destroyed. They ruin the game for everyone else.

Soulflarz

Banned
One rank is relatively minor though. Frequent leavers should absolutely have their ranks completely destroyed. They ruin the game for everyone else.

Fine, destroy their rank down to 40. It'll go right back up to 60 or whatever.

Do people in here still not understand this ranking system is going to throw you right back up or down to whatever it thinks your rank should be?

People usually aren't trying to inflict a leavers penalty on you.

Played Reaper for the first time. So many deaths. And that ult. o.o

I think the edge is calling for me.

Haven't I killed you somewhere?

(Urge to write optimal usage guide rising)

I wouldn't mind if they just disabled the "leave game" option in Competitive altogether. It being there causes more problems than it solves.

Fine, destroy their rank down to 40. It'll go right back up to 60 or whatever.

Do people in here still not understand this ranking system is going to throw you right back up or down to whatever it thinks your rank should be?

Then couldn't they just fix the algorithm so that if you leave games frequently, the game now knows your rank should be much lower?

Ricky 7

Your rank ups and down are based more on your participation of everything. Medals are kind of a good starting point.

If you're getting shit for medals, don't expect your rank to go up much from a win. If you're getting 4 or 5 golds, you probably wont lose much rank from a loss.

I seem to be averaging about 50 kills when I play KotH maps. I usually gain a full level from them when I win.

I'm terrible at capture maps, and will be lucky to have a bronze (usually in damage done). If we win, I'll gain like 15% of a rank. if we lose, I'll drop like 80% of a rank.

tl;dr no one understands the system but we think winning a lot increases rank and you need to be good and helping your team win, as in outplaying everyone matters a lot. Also doing well 10 matches and mediocre the 11th doesn't mean you won't get a full rank.

You're better with characters x or y so you get more rank with them.
Alright no wonder I barely rank up when I play Lucio, I only get a gold in healing and objective time but when I play with Genji I get a gold in nearly everything.

Soulflarz

Banned
Alright no wonder I barely rank up when I play Lucio, I only get a gold in healing and objective time but when I play with Genji I get a gold in nearly everything.

Medals aren't actually the same guideline. My two healing friends who constantly have to fight over top healer by that logic still get a full rank a match. It's just a decent idea.
Basically "if you're good at doing your role you'll rank up or vice versa" is the basic explanation. Medals can be used to see if you're being useful, but you can be outplayed with the 80 on your team and still do fine.

Now, 82% kill participation got me a whole rank up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom