• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crzy1

is it just me or is dva like super super fucking strong now?

maybe im just bad again
She's not a killer, but she can shut down big plays with ease now. I think she's a viable alternative to the other tanks now, definitely the most mobile, but the least deadly in most situations.

Team average: 61(my side) vs 66(including a top 500 player). Totally fair match lol

Anyways we're up 2-1 and then some idiot breaks up the formula by switching to Bastion(instead of Reaper, in KOTH at that) and we lose 2 straight. We were handicapped by a terrible Ana too. I wasn't even healed once the entire match by her.(Widowmaker-lite)

It's like no matter what rank you get to, there are still so many shit tier players. Unbelievable. I probably sound bitter but we were at 93% for the final round win and it was like playing 4v6.

On another note, I've made it to rank 61. My season low is 31 so I've been through hell to get here lol.(all those quitters in the 30s-40s were a pain) Pretty much all solo queue. Didn't really rank up with the couple of groups I've played with. Hopefully, the road to 70 won't be too bad.

#109 with D.Va on Overbuff now :)

Interfectum

Winston is becoming my favorite hero in the game. Lots of the time people have no idea how to handle him and there's nothing better than tossing people off the stage. lol

Meier

A Torbjorn that switches? To Zenyatta? Nice one.

He is pretty weak now to be honest (or at least from my experience). I've only played about half the characters and hadn't touched Zenyatta until last week and it just clicked for me.. very enjoyable. I like that I can heal but also do good damage and debuff -- I hadn't played him prior to the shields and those are pretty crucial clearly.

I am basically playing Zenyatta exclusively but we had no Torbs initially so I played him to start. Once it looked like we'd lost, I was happy to swap back to my first choice and just enjoy the rest of the game but it ended up turning around nicely.

Winston is becoming my favorite hero in the game. Lots of the time people have no idea how to handle him and there's nothing better than tossing people off the stage. lol

My group played a good Winston the other day and it was absolutely devastating. No one knew what to do -- he just killed all of us repeatedly. Seems like a character that if you can get the hang of is outrageously good.

God, I love it when I kill people as mech-less D.VA, I feel like I humiliated them.

Not as humiliating as kill them with as a Mercy though.

It's pretty easy to do tbh. She's tough to hit and people tend to focus on the other targets. Most of the time I'm de-meched, I usually get a kill or two and get another mech.

I've been extending overtime by jumping around wildly on the payload as mechless D.Va as well lately. Long enough for my team to get back.

finalflame

Weird, Winston is so easy to shut down as reaper/solider/hog/D.Va, even. I make sure enemy Winstons never stay alive more than a few seconds if I see one. Even when he ults, if a Zenyatta buddy adds a discord I can shred through him.

God, I love it when I kill people as mech-less D.VA, I feel like I humiliated them.

Yup! I've had a few 1v1s as zero-suit D.Va in closed rooms with McCrees and even Pharahs and came out victorious. Had to send token "LOL XD" in game chat after those. Hopefully got them super salty, I know I would be if a zero-suit D.Va killed me 1v1.

Grisby

A dead winston is only dead because he doesn't know how to abuse weaving in and out of his barrier.

Or because he ran into shotguns
How much damage does his jump do?

I like Winston for the pure fact of burning Genji's, Widows, and Tracers (to a lesser extent), so I'm trying to get better with him.

Soulflarz

Banned
How much damage does his jump do?

I like Winston for the pure fact of burning Genji's, Widows, and Tracers (to a lesser extent), so I'm trying to get better with him.

Idk, I know a guy who sometimes plays him and lives awhile, I can't say I would know how he works though :p

*only plays one character because I don't have the time to play other ones too much*

Azoor

You're going to kill people with all that salt you bring. :p

DVa_Spray_-_Salt.png

It's pretty easy to do tbh. She's tough to hit and people tend to focus on the other targets. Most of the time I'm de-meched, I usually get a kill or two and get another mech.

I've been extending overtime by jumping around wildly on the payload as mechless D.Va as well lately. Long enough for my team to get back.

Reinhardt, Roadhog and McCree could kill me with a blink of an eye though.

Weird, Winston is so easy to shut down as reaper/solider/hog/D.Va, even. I make sure enemy Winstons never stay alive more than a few seconds if I see one. Even when he ults, if a Zenyatta buddy adds a discord I can shred through him.

Yup! I've had a few 1v1s as zero-suit D.Va in closed rooms with McCrees and even Pharahs and came out victorious. Had to send token "LOL XD" in game chat after those. Hopefully got them super salty, I know I would be if a zero-suit D.Va killed me 1v1.

Zero suit D.va, I do like the sound of that !

Grisby

Idk, I know a guy who sometimes plays him and lives awhile, I can't say I would know how he works though :p

*only plays one character because I don't have the time to play other ones too much*
Yeah, I think that's a good barometer of a good Winston. How long he lives, I mean.

KraytarJ

I feel like Winston is one of those heroes I used to understand and then for some reason I just completely lost it. I used to be able to do stuff as him, now when I play him I'm just like why am I not playing D.Va.

Hes seeing a lot of play in pro play, that might be affecting his pick rate. On pc at least, im running into a bunch too

That makes sense then.

I still have yet to see a noticeably good Genji...in Ranked or QP, so it was a little annoying seeing him get picked so often last night because 99% of the population is bad with him.

Nudull

Banned
Well, reached level 25, and I've now unlocked Competitive Play.

Ana, 76, Reaper and Roadhog seems like a nicely updated list of mains for me. Anyone else I should try out, or anything I should keep in mind before taking the plunge?

Well, reached level 25, and I've now unlocked Competitive Play.

Ana, 76, Reaper and Roadhog seems like a nicely updated list of mains for me. Anyone else I should try out, or anything I should keep in mind before taking the plunge?
Lucio and Reinhardt are probably the most useful heroes in the game, what they bring to the table can easily swing a game in your direction. If you can learn those, that would be good, it it's best to use what you use best so that you're as useful as you can be.

Owzers

Never rule out going Torb on attack, both your allies and enemy won't expect it, and at least one of the teams will be pleased.

matmanx1

If the number doesn't matter, wouldn't that just further lean into using one character being a deciding factor in where it places you overall?

I don't think so but if you are going for rank then I would think it always pays to play whatever character you are best at.

Really? So getting top time, kills, damage, and objective kills isn't indicative of your performance? What is?

The system is comparing your performance versus other people at or near your rank and it takes quite a few games to get you dialed in. 1 or 2 games in which you perform above the rest of your team, win or lose, doesn't tell you much in the overall scheme of things.

Which leads me to say that Blizzard has done a really poor job at communicating how rank is calculated and why certain amounts of rank are gained or lost. Through testing, we've figured out certain things (such as personal performance does make a difference) but I feel like Blizz needs to spell a few more things out and if they did so it would probably go a long way towards lowering frustration for folks who play competitive.

Input "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Enter" on the official site for a fun Easter egg.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/

Confirmed, D.VA is bae.

For those of us stuck at work, what happens?

brian!

Got messed up by an attack bastion yesterday for 2 points until we decided to let it stop working lol. The blame is partially mine since i had him ded a couple of times but kept making mistakes and hed wipe out like 3 of us.

I don't think so but if you are going for rank then I would think it always pays to play whatever character you are best at.

The system is comparing your performance versus other people at or near your rank and it takes quite a few games to get you dialed in. 1 or 2 games in which you perform above the rest of your team, win or lose, doesn't tell you much in the overall scheme of things.

Which leads me to say that Blizzard has done a really poor job at communicating how rank is calculated and why certain amounts of rank are gained or lost. Through testing, we've figured out certain things (such as personal performance does make a difference) but I feel like Blizz needs to spell a few more things out and if they did so it would probably go a long way towards lowering frustration for folks who play competitive.

For those of us stuck at work, what happens?

it's raining d.va

Soulflarz

Banned
Got messed up by an attack bastion yesterday for 2 points until we decided to let it stop working lol. The blame is partially mine since i had him ded a couple of times but kept making mistakes and hed wipe out like 3 of us.
Zen+flank him or zen+pharah or zen+soldier/mccree

Did I mention zen?

Rad-

According to overbuff I'm 95th % eliminations, 98th % objective kills, 97th % damage, 98th % e/d, 99th % gold medals etc. with McCree who I play the most. Aren't these supposed to be pretty good values? I still don't gain much rank points and lose more. I don't understand. Blizzard pls explain how this shit works I'm dumb.

Though I do gain nicely when I play with a group of 2 or 3. I think I'm just going to stick with that. 4 or more and I get shit.

Xyber

Fun stuff, first I win ranked game because the servers took a shit on the other team and 3 got disconnected (I was kicked out 3 times as well, but could get back in for the win).

Next game was super laggy for half our team and we couldn't do much at all to stop the payload. People freezing in mid-air and then a second later you are dead.

At least I didn't lose as much in that loss and managed to stay just above the 66 line.

MGrant

I know he's an edgelord, but I'm really liking Reaper now. It feels so good for someone to chase you around a corner when you're wraithing back to a medkit, only to eat a face full of shotgun just as they think they have you.

Rad-

Fun stuff, first I win ranked game because the servers took a shit on the other team and 3 got disconnected (I was kicked out 3 times as well, but could get back in for the win).

Next game was super laggy for half our team and we couldn't do much at all to stop the payload. People freezing in mid-air and then a second later you are dead.

At least I didn't lose as much in that loss and managed to stay just above the 66 line.

I had a ton of lag earlier also. Way more than ever before.

Jarate

Banned
According to overbuff I'm 95th % eliminations, 98th % objective kills, 97th % damage, 98th % e/d, 99th % gold medals etc. with McCree who I play the most. Aren't these supposed to be pretty good values? I still don't gain much rank points and lose more. I don't understand. Blizzard pls explain how this shit works I'm dumb.

Though I do gain nicely when I play with a group of 2 or 3. I think I'm just going to stick with that. 4 or more and I get shit.

if you lose you're going to lose EXP, the game also rewards you heavily for going on winning streaks, so if you can't consistently get wins it's gonna be slower to level up.

ohkay

I still have yet to see a noticeably good Genji...in Ranked or QP, so it was a little annoying seeing him get picked so often last night because 99% of the population is bad with him.
Be glad. Good genjis are a scary thing because the skill ceiling on him is so high (but so is the floor)

It helps that her pistol is so good. it fires so fast and does a decent amount of damage. I sometimes prefer being mechless

Rad-

if you lose you're going to lose EXP, the game also rewards you heavily for going on winning streaks, so if you can't consistently get wins it's gonna be slower to level up.

Okay that sorta explains it. I don't get that many streaks. My games go more like win lose win lose win win lose lose.

The statistics are hard to interpret because I don't know how they filter the data. Consider the 'casual' players who played the game at launch for a month and then dropped it. Or the infrequent players who never play regularly enough to learn or improve characters/aiming. Their stats are going to be disproportionately bad relative to the small core player-base and skew the averages way down.

What you're interested in isn't where you fall relative to all players who ever existed, it's how you compare to your cohorts. Your cohorts are the people who play daily or weekly, not the guys who play a match or two every other weekend. Basically, what would your stats look like if they filtered the data to only show people who are level 30+ or play regularly or something like that (this may be only 10-25% of all customers who own the game).

The current bell curve more likely reflects a graph of time spent playing from least to most. There's probably a subset of that graph that would give a better indication of where you fall relative to everyone playing regularly, basically another bell curve restricted to the top 25%.

Herla

I just played a game where voices were muted server-wide because of some kind of bug.
It was SURREAL, and made it even more obvious how important audio is in this game.

xaosslug

it's an amazing feeling going head-to-head w/ a Reaper/McCree/Genji/Winston/Junkrat/Mei w/o D.Va's suit and proving to be more than they bargained for. ;)

So it's Sudden Death and teammate #1 tells teammate #2 to switch off of Torbjorn because he's trash(which I agree with), but then teammate #1 proceeds to pick Bastion and suggests to his buddy that they do the "noob" combo lol.(Reinhardt/Bastion)

The other team had a really good Genji so I'm not sure why they thought that would actually work...

They both go down and then boom Graviton Surge+Justice Reigns+Dragonblade combo smh. Infuriating because we pushed the payload so much faster than they did.

maouvin

Kool-Aid Man effect is the definitive meta.

Also, the hockey puck thing is legit - as in "why is this not a thing yet" legit. Just limiting the pushback to attacks/abilities that already knock people away (but just limited to pushing - no blowing away) would be enough too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom