• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Lucio doesn't need to be deleted, but maybe speed song changed out with something else. I guess in early beta he didn't have a speed song and his gun did more damage. They changed him into what we have now. He's a great idea for a character, but maybe speed song is too powerful and game changing? Maybe a song that increases team firing rate. That would give his second song something similar to Zenyatta or Mercy secondary effect of increasing team damage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seriously though, sudden death is broken mostly just due to the existence of amped up speed song. Even in solo i just type "speed song rush at choke point" and even the most unco teams can steamroll the defense if they listen.

If they don't it leaves me at the objective alone but it can kinda work out too because it draws people away and divides the enemy team. :p

Anne

Yeah, delete Lucio is hyperbole, but speedboost just enables a lot of things to happen. He's not the only problem right now forcing fast paced fights like I said, just the most obvious.

Antiwhippy

You know what would be really awesome.

Shorten the range of ice spray but make it a wide AOE spray that doesn't freeze but slows everything down in that Area.

Helps with the speed creep in the game!

patchday

I'd love to see sudden death gone to help ensure short games. devs dont realize they have a big advantage over moba due to the ability to have short fun games

Yeah dorado is great for her honestly. That first archway is a hell of a chokepoint.

She is not viable on attack.
She is not viable on KotH.
She is not viable on (most) second point defenses.
She is not viable on (most) payload defense points.

OK fine, fixed, then. :p

Also, if you want to go into viability of defensive heroes designed around immobile set ups, there is a lot more to point to and talk about anyways. Again, if the game were slower by a decent margin you might see Sym/Torb/etc flex a bit more or have way higher early game impact. Atm though it's basically:

Honestly I think there should be discussion about the entire Defense class as it stands, anyway. None of the characters sans Junkrat are played very often in competitive play. The sad thing is, though, that Torbjörn is more versatile than Symmetra for various reasons (armour kits, his turret actually dealing enough damage to kill, and his ult being really powerful during team fights), even though he should be pretty much exactly in the same boat as Symmetra is.

While I understand where you're coming from and agree that Lucio is in fact too strong as a support right now, that does not invalidate the problems that Symmetra has.

Heck, her kit doesn't even synergize well. For example: Her turrets increase in slowing effect when bundled together, but that encourages building "nests" with 4+ turrets in one place (that also are easily taken out), while really the Symmetra player should be spreading out her turrets to provide herself with map vision (and thus, her teammates) - changing the turrets just slightly already would increase her support capabilities a lot more by allowing her to cover flanking routes, slow down those using them, and warn her teammates. After all, anybody can see they're not about damage anyway given the fact they're just peppering an enemy.

She definitely needs a rework, and the changes I proposed do not take away from her being a stationary-based character, it just gives her more viability in situations beyond first point defenses, and gives her a reason to be in the Support category.

Azoor

You know what would be really awesome.

Shorten the range of ice spray but make it a wide AOE spray that doesn't freeze but slows everything down in that Area.

Helps with the speed creep in the game!

So basically this?

mei_fix_infographicnkxa4.png

ramyeon

If there's one thing I agree with about the rank system it's that once you drop it is hard to get out. 40s solo queue is rough. Honestly feels rougher than QP sometimes. I'm consistently shocked out how bad people can be at this game despite having clocked so many hours in it.

Most issues would be fixed with a little communication.

If there's one thing I agree with about the rank system it's that once you drop it is hard to get out. 40s solo queue is rough. Honestly feels rougher than QP sometimes. I'm consistently shocked out how bad people can be at this game despite having clocked so many hours in it.

Most issues would be fixed with a little communication.

Everyone wants to be a hero but they don't want to play as a team in the 40s. So many backseat coaches who are not pulling their weight, but will gladly tell you why your character choice is bad.

ohkay

I saw this somewhere else, but I think all Symmetra needs is to convert some of the character's health into shields. Have her still give +25 shields, but convert like 20% or some other arbitrary percentage of a characters health as shields. When it recharges, count that as healing for Symmetra

ISOM

Symmetra is not a support hero. I honestly think Blizzard maxed out at 6 defense heroes and decided to stick Symmetra in the support section. She basically does the same thing as Torb armor and all.

Veelk

Banned
I think the gold weapons are ugly and don't look good with most character skins. Maybe Posh Tracer? For the most part, they're just gaudy. I probably won't buy anything with my Comp points until they bring out something way better.

patchday

(Payload) I still think Symmetra's ult is very useful. I use her all the time for the initial checkpoint on defense. But if they pass first checkpoint I switch

I dont use her on KOTH

Anne

I think people underestimate how good 25 shields is. Discord + McCree headshot is 210 for example. A lot of interactions like that where that 25 is significant. I'll admit it doesn't feel significant but any more and it gets broken.

I'll admit her turrets can be adjusted in some ways, but that's slippery. Could very easily make them too good or too frustrating with very minute adjustments. Other than that though I think she could be better at her niche if the game just wasn't so explosive is all. Wanna see that happen before anything gets done really.

Just wanna reiterate while I'm here that I don't have all that much against Lucio, but let's all be realistic that allowing a full team speedboost on a relatively low CD is a rookie mistake from Blizz.

patchday

That feeling when you finally accumulate up to 1130 coins but you're too terrified to spend a single dime cause it took 48 loot boxes to get there. There's a lot of skins and 'hero highlights' I'd love to purchase

I'm thinking instead of blowing it all on one gold skin I should distribute it and just buy a bunch of other content... Maybe one day I'll break down and do it

Really, really want that Nomad Genji skin tho.... first world problems!!!

caesar

Banned
Lost like 8 in a row, get grouped up with a party of 4. I'm like okay cool at least they will pick a decent comp and they put symm on attack.

Mmr assassins man

Anne

I'll continue being the "no fun allowed" poster and say I don't like those Mei changes too much. Especially dislike the wall one.

In la la theory land Mei (and especially wall as it turns out) have potential to be game breaking, just nobody has really put in the effort yet to do it. Like why bother taking the extremely technical low DPS pick right now when Zenyatta exists.

I get people hate the character because they play into her poorly and she can punish people hard if that happens, but it's overblown. Most of her kit right now works well together, the only thing you could argue is kinda off is her gun. Even then, another slippery slope effect. Don't think it should lose freeze, it's extremely important to have those types of CC in the game even if some people can't stand it. Same with Ana dart and all that.

Prelude.

I think people underestimate how good 25 shields is. Discord + McCree headshot is 210 for example. A lot of interactions like that where that 25 is significant. I'll admit it doesn't feel significant but any more and it gets broken.
Yeah, but 25 is not enough to take advantage of the fact that it's a shield, since it gets removed by pretty much any attack, even melee, before it can actually take some damage and then regenerate. I think turning part of the health bar into shield is a pretty cool idea. Something like 20 shield added and 30 health turned into shield. Or 20+20 is 50 is too much,

Antiwhippy

Whole group gets wiped by molten core because they ignored the turret on that lift in hollywood.

Whole group gets wiped by molten core again because they ignored the turret on that lift in hollywood.

Maybe I should stop being lucio in these kind of groups.

Owzers

Whole group gets wiped by molten core because they ignored the turret on that lift in hollywood.

Whole group gets wiped by molten core again because they ignored the turret on that lift in hollywood.

Maybe I should stop being lucio in these kind of groups.

No, but you're also in charge of killing that turret. Lucio does everything.

Anne

Yeah, but 25 is not enough to take advantage of the fact that it's a shield, since it gets removed by pretty much any attack, even melee, before it can actually take some damage and then regenerate. I think turning part of the health bar into shield is a pretty cool idea. Something like 20 shield added and 30 health turned into shield. Or 20+20 is 50 is too much,

Problem is tossing out that much regenerating HP across the team is probably too strong. Like yeah it can get bursted cause that's the game, but if you do drag the fight out at all and have somebody hide for a second then shit gets real silly. I think the benefit of shields should really be that that they give your team a pretty decent shot at surviving most of the bust in the game as they are now. Pretty valuable in that light, buffing them more is dangerous.

This game is extremely tight on balancing. Zenyatta had some minor changes for example and even after they nerfed his damage he's the king of the meta. A reasonable goal for Sym would be to up her viability as a defensive pick across the not-KotH map pool. Messing with an already decent thing in a measure like that is risking having her as an auo-include for what I think is an extremely silly reason.

Why I could live with some turret adjustments. They are good at doing their job but they are somewhat lacking in some situations/map segments. Then though you risk them just being very silly on their own which would be no beuno.

Game has really tight balance is all. Not that I'm saying it's well balanced at the moment because it's not, but it's very easy for something to seem okay then spiral endlessly out of control.

Edit: While I'm still on Sym note that she has all of this stuff mostly just to build her ult. If TP does get set up it is bar none one of the best ults to have in the game for a number of reasons. I got into it on discord, but at high level people can't reasonably justify hunting it down until they are at the point they've basically pushed up to it. If the defensive team notices somebody is missing and going after TP they just engage on the 5v6 at a huge advantage. So the TP basically forces them to all in hard to deal with it, which is good. Past first point though the TP tends to be shittier because more pushed up fights and the fact she won't be able to set up to get a bunch of hella fast charge to get the TP up.

Antiwhippy

No, but you're also in charge of killing that turret. Lucio does everything.

I was shooting it.

But my shots does not a lot of damage in long range. So it's kinda hard to take down the turret before torb notices and go "MOLTEN COREEEEEEEE".

Probably go zenyetta so I can actually do some damage long range.

Do people still get less rank xp if someone leaves a match? How will I ever break into 50 if every time my team is winning multiple people from the other team leave :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom