• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Speaking of leavers, i had a guy leave on character select because he says that he needs to sleep.

I don't really mind much because the match is cancelled without starting, but:

1) why queue in the first place

2) why lose rank for leaving a match you didn't seem to want to play?

Truly baffling.

Nudull

Banned
Speaking of leavers, i had a guy leave on character select because he says that he needs to sleep.

Truly baffling.

Eh, it does happen. You try to power through, but you just can't stay awake. I have to question why you'd still be playing Competitive when you know you're not at 100%, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But if you've played ranked for any amount of time you'd know the time commitment you need for 1 match and it's not like rank automatically searches for a new match after your done with one.

Eh whatever, just seemed kinda weird.

Defuser

Why do every idiot and their mother and their dog pick snipers? It seems like I keep getting paired with 2 idiot teammates who pick Hanzo/Ana/Widowmaker...thats 2 snipers....2 SNIPERS...2 MOTHERFUCKING SNIPERS and they can't snipe for shit.

I get them on payloads,assault maps and especially KOTH. Don't these dumbfucks ever have the braincell think with 2 snipers means the team do not have enough offense power to push and defend with just 3 people? Why do this people insist on fucking over their team by playing snipers when they can't aim?

Ricky 7

I just found out gold medals don't mean anything when ranking up because I only got 2 bronze medals in a game and I went up a full rank compared to when I got 3 gold medals and barely got any rank points. I think it has more to do with win streaks. Also I played against a group of people all in the top 500 rank, they all had that gold emblem with the white background where there rank number is supposed to be and I lost like nearly no rank points at all when I lost so your oppents average team rank must matter but I guess that was kind of obvious.

Zomba13

I just found out gold medals don't mean anything when ranking up because I only got 2 bronze medals in a game and I went up a full rank compared to when I got 3 gold medals and barely got any rank points. I think it has more to do with win streaks. Also I played against a group of people all in the top 500 rank, they all had that gold emblem with the white background where there rank number is supposed to be and I lost like nearly no rank points at all when I lost so your oppents average team rank must matter but I guess that was kind of obvious.

It absolutely has to do with win streaks. I was doing quite well today and going solo earlier and winning I noticed I was getting more and more up to a whole ranks worth of rank exp and that continued even now when playing with a friend. If you win a lot in a row it'll grow until you gain a whole rank every win but if you win and lose and win and lose then I think it just gives you fuck all.

Nudull

Banned
*goes into Comp match for the first time, fighting all anxiety and gathering courage* LET'S DO THI-

*Player immediately leaves, match cancelled*

Soulflarz

Banned
You know top 500 on console kinda ruined the game for me on a 'must improve' aspect

What's left to do
at this level it's all team comp- if your spare guys can tank, we have a win, if they can't, we lose. It's playing to luck and repetitive, I need to find a perma tank if I'm going to do it anymore.

Also the fact my spray/comp points are locked in so there's no real incentive to try besides to get others I know to my rank...

Idk, comp is fun, but once you hit the end, there isn't any incentive to keep playing. Especially when my playstyle just 'makes sense to me' like doing well in Call of Duty and the game tells me barely anyone does it better, which is weird. I refuse to believe so many people can't repeat my odd methods- they aren't that unique. As such, maybe PC is the way to go?

Rad-

Every now and then there's a low/average ranked guy playing like a god. Just faced a 51 rank McCree who was carrying the enemy team and had insane aim (PS4 version). He was playing better than any McCree I have faced in 60s.

Their team still lost easily though so I felt quite bad for him and gave him a vote at the end.

^ Soulflarz, how about mastering a new hero? That's what gives me new motivation if I think I have hit a ceiling with certain hero. Different heroes have such different playstyles that it generally takes a good amount of time to learn it properly.

Truly baffling.

I had a guy announce that he was going to leave if the person playing Genji didn't switch and let him play Genji. gg

Veelk

Banned
Nothing sane about the Sudden Death rules.

You know, while I recognize it's problems, I think I see why people they do it.

If you beat the enemy team by a decent margin, then yeah, it's annoying when a flip of the coin decides it, because capturing a point is much easier than defending one. I don't think it's HUGELY skewed, but it is slightly.

But if the match is either close or very far, then I understand it completely. If a team completed the checkpoints 5 seconds faster than the other, it's not really a measurement of whether one is better or the other, that's too close. But if it's a super far apart game, like if you complete the objective in 2 minutes, then the losing team has almost no chance of winning before the second round even starts.

I think they do need to rework the sudden death mechanic somehow, but I can atleast see the method in the madness this way. The better team still wins most of the time, but it allows for some glorious comebacks if the odds are stacked against you.

No, for me, the problem of Ranked right now is the....well, ranked part. I just got off a losing streak and I see my ranking drop and drop and drop and I just don't want any of that shit. For me, having the game track how well I'm doing almost never makes me feel good when I'm doing good, and always makes me feel bad when I'm doing bad.

The Weekly brawl has absolutely no tracking whatsoever. I want a mode like that, with no stacking. If I could get that, I'll be a happy camper.

It absolutely has to do with win streaks. I was doing quite well today and going solo earlier and winning I noticed I was getting more and more up to a whole ranks worth of rank exp and that continued even now when playing with a friend. If you win a lot in a row it'll grow until you gain a whole rank every win but if you win and lose and win and lose then I think it just gives you fuck all.

Ugh. Wonderful.

brian!

You know top 500 on console kinda ruined the game for me on a 'must improve' aspect

What's left to do
at this level it's all team comp- if your spare guys can tank, we have a win, if they can't, we lose. It's playing to luck and repetitive, I need to find a perma tank if I'm going to do it anymore.

Also the fact my spray/comp points are locked in so there's no real incentive to try besides to get others I know to my rank...

Idk, comp is fun, but once you hit the end, there isn't any incentive to keep playing. Especially when my playstyle just 'makes sense to me' like doing well in Call of Duty and the game tells me barely anyone does it better, which is weird. I refuse to believe so many people can't repeat my odd methods- they aren't that unique. As such, maybe PC is the way to go?

i imagine pc will feel like relearning the game, could be fun

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah, it must be pretty terrible having one whole person on the other team capable of damaging you. I don't know how people even play like that.

Do you realize that Pharah isn't picked in high ranking Overwatch anymore because McCree can destroy her, right? A McCree that has good aim completely canceled out a Pharah since you can easily kill her anytime she boosts up.

Don't get why you're being so snarky when what I said is reflective of the current balance of the game.

AngryMoth

There's a bug on consoles it seems with making character specific button bindings. I like having jump bound to L3 but trying to switch it to X for genji and it instantly reverts when I leave the menu

I haven't gone up more than half a rank in a long time. I can hit 4 gold medals and a 4 win streak, win a game at a 10 average above my level and its still the same 2 and a bit bars

By the same token I'm going down about the same but its so fucking annoying

duckroll

I don't like talking about bad games anymore. Recounting the frustration just adds to the sodium intake and it's unhealthy. Fuck it. I just want to talk about good games which worked out and I felt great about.

Played a series of ranked games today with friends. Some worked out, some didn't. But the best game was probably a Lijiang match where we went down 0-2 initially because one of us got disconnected. In the third round he reconnected, we dug ourselves out of the hole, and won a round, and then proceeded to win the game 3-2. Felt fucking great.

What's left to do

Play a new character. I bet you could become one of the only good Widows on PS4.

X-Frame

How are people finding Ana on console?

To me she seems like she is generally the weakest support character to pick now, especially since Zen was buffed so much.

I do like her Ult though, it's great for a push, especially when giving it to someone like Reinhardt.

Einchy

I don't like talking about bad games anymore. Recounting the frustration just adds to the sodium intake and it's unhealthy. Fuck it. I just want to talk about good games which worked out and I felt great about.

Played a series of ranked games today with friends. Some worked out, some didn't. But the best game was probably a Lijiang match where we went down 0-2 initially because one of us got disconnected. In the third round he reconnected, we dug ourselves out of the hole, and won a round, and then proceeded to win the game 3-2. Felt fucking great.

Bitching about bad games feels so good, though. You really wanna bottle in your frustration over your teammate picking Hanzo, never killing anyone and refusing to switch? Then he starts calling all you guys bad? You gotta let that out, it's not healthy to keep it in.

How are people finding Ana on console?

To me she seems like she is generally the weakest support character to pick now, especially since Zen was buffed so much.

I do like her Ult though, it's great for a push, especially when giving it to someone like Reinhardt.
Ana is really good when paired with a Zenyatta.

duckroll

Bitching about bad games feels so good, though. You really wanna bottle in your frustration over your teammate picking Hanzo, never killing anyone and refusing to switch? Then he starts calling all you guys bad? You gotta let that out, it's not healthy to keep it in.

I play with friends, so all that frustration is being let out DURING the game and AFTER the game. I don't need to relive it again on an internet forum! So much salt!

I play with friends, so all that frustration is being let out DURING the game and AFTER the game. I don't need to relive it again on an internet forum! So much salt!
Most of the people I've seen complaining seem to play mostly in solo queue, so they don't really have anyone to vent to.

3DShovel

Nothing like doing great in competitive, win 2 rounds of KOTH with relative ease, and then 2 people on your team leave for no reason and then you get spanked...

Gator86

Do you realize that Pharah isn't picked in high ranking Overwatch anymore because McCree can destroy her, right? A McCree that has good aim completely canceled out a Pharah since you can easily kill her anytime she boosts up.

Don't get why you're being so snarky when what I said is reflective of the current balance of the game.

People act like pro PC play is indicative of more than pro PC play. That balance doesn't even reflect high level console play. A top tier pc gamer using a mouse is going to wreck Pharah, sure. On console, not the case at all.

Einchy

People act like pro PC play is indicative of more than pro PC play. That balance doesn't even reflect high level console play. A top tier pc gamer using a mouse is going to wreck Pharah, sure. On console, not the case at all.

Why do I care what's happening on consoles? I was talking about PC.

Prelude.

If you only have one healer on defense, which one is the better pick?
Lucio or Mercy. Lucio can negate some ults, has aoe healing and Mercy can revive, heal faster a single target and boost damage.
Zenyatta and Ana should be picked as a second healer since they're not as reliable to keep a team alive, especially on defense.

Lucio might have the edge, anyway.

Gorillaz

it is insane how different the player pool is once you get out of that low to mid 50s magnet in comp, like a real tug of war between both teams

feels like a new meta game after the 60s like what the shit

Nudull

Banned
So, uh, I got a win on my second Competitive match. I also had a team that went into an awkward, transphobic discussion about one player totally beat up a bunch of non-binary people, ranted about trans people being "special", and immediately asked afterwards is supporting gay people was wrong. Throughout the entire match.

I think I'm gonna take a break from Competitive for a while.

Afro

So, uh, I got a win on my second Competitive match. I also had a team that went into an awkward, transphobic discussion about one player totally beat up a bunch of non-binary people, ranted about trans people being "special", and immediately asked afterwards is supporting gay people was wrong. Throughout the entire match.

I think I'm gonna take a break from Competitive for a while.

/hidechat

Gator86

it is insane how different the player pool is once you get out of that low to mid 50s magnet in comp, like a real tug of war between both teams

I feel for Blizzard trying to balance this game. It feels like so many different games at once. PC and console may as well be different games entirely, high and low ranks are different, high and low levels are different, high and low skill different.

Trying to balance heroes like Bastion and Genji seems like hell. Bastion is useless at high ranks and unrelenting death at low ones. Genji is a joke at low skill and an unkillable god of death with constant ults when played by a skilled player.

This weeks brawl is great. I'm just spamming Linkin Park lyrics into the chat and making Biggest Loser jokes, and everybody is joining in. It's just pure stupid fun and I love it.

brian!

i was expecting this but got the complete opposite lol, lots of foolishness in the 60s
on pc

matmanx1

(I still think Sym is fine or close to fine as is)

While I respect your opinion I guess I have a different viewpoint because I think any character that is *that* situational should be tweaked a little bit to be more viable across a range of situations. I don't necessarily want Symm to be more powerful but it would be great if she could could realistically take the place of a Mercy or a Lucio because her support kit is that good.

My philosophy is that pick rates for heroes should fall within a certain range and anyone who is wildly over or under that range needs some tweaking. And I think Blizzard more or less agrees with me as it seems to be their goal to make the lesser picked characters more desirable.

I wish I could see it. I've been in the 40's for my comp games and sometimes they are great and other times they are bad. Maybe one day!

Moonkeis

My mini rant of the morning is when you're healing and everyone totally ignores the Hanzo camping on the roof of our spawn. "Hey guys, he isn't going to just magically disappear if you run by".

Ramirez

People finally realising Genji is the beast unleashed.

I said week 1 or 2 that Genji/Tracer would eventually need tweaked on console. After putting more time in, Tracer isn't as much of a problem as I initially thought. But I was spot on with Genji, lol.

What's left to do

Learn a new character. Reaper is one of the most bland characters on the roster, variety is the spice of life.

Nudull

Banned
I said week 1 or 2 that Genji/Tracer would eventually need tweaked on console. After putting more time in, Tracer isn't as much of a problem as I initially thought. But I was spot on with Genji, lol.

Learn a new character. Reaper is one of the most bland characters on the roster, variety is the spice of life.

This would've brought Reaper to tears. If Reaper still had tears to shed.

I'VE BECOME SO NUMB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom