• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric WK

Winston deals with Genji rather easily on console.

Is there a streak bonus for rank increases in Competitive? I just got a 10 win streak and went from 52-60.

Win streaks of 5+ result in a full rank up each win after the fourth or fifth, but only if you solo queue. If you're in a group, this doesn't apply. Not sure if joining a group mid-win streak breaks the pattern or whatever, but I'm sure people could test it.

It's been widely discussed on Reddit and I've witnessed it myself just last night. Went from 72-75 in three games.

Ramirez

Is there a reason why nobody pick Winston to counter Genji on PS4? His Tesla Cannon doesn't require aiming IIRC just the general direction,ignores his deflect and he have his jump skill to chase after Genji.

I loved Winston when the game launched, but as time has passed, I hate him. Maybe not him, but how he plays with everyone else in this current meta. Easily the worst of the tanks, IMO.

Doesn't help that most console plebs see a Winston and think no other tank needs to be picked.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is there a streak bonus for rank increases in Competitive? I just got a 10 win streak and went from 52-60.

Sort of
it's performance+streak we believe
The internal MMR thinks you perform better based on winning a lot because you know, how else would you win so many in a row. I think it "helps" the performance thing, from what we can tell. Once you hit that point, the system believes you're way better than your rank, and keeps ranking you up until you hit a wall basically.

^definitely not a solo queue thing though, we triple queued and went up a rank a match over 12 games, with the two losses losing us 40%, but it didn't kill the rank a game streak. I think its a + or - modifier- as in, if youre at +5 in a row, a single loss isn't going to kill that, but a few will hit it negative finally. All of this is speculation, just adding my own personal experience with it to show it's not a constant streak or solo queue requirement.

Oh, you can, it just doesn't really work in a thread when half the posts in the thread are against their teammates, I was just reiterating that you can't really improve them so it's a moot point at best. That just reminded me to say it in general.

You know more than anyone here, so please answer this.

I'm level 67 and solo queue I play with all 65+ players and play well. I win a good amount of games, and feel like I am a big contributor.

I play with people ranked lower than me. We get put in a game with high 50's low 60's, I'm often the highest level in the game. But I feel like I play way worse, not just the worse win rate, individually, I just don't play as well. Why the hell does this happen? It makes no sense.

I'm 10 level higher than Lik and when we team up I'd say he is very consistently as good or better than me. It drives me nuts, I should be able to carry these teams and it's anything but. WHY?

E: And don't tell me it's in my head. LIK and Mariohead will back me up I'm sure.

Soulflarz

Banned

I'm level 67 and solo queue I play with all 65+ players and play well. I win a good amount of games, and feel like I am a big contributor.

I play with people ranked lower than me. We get put in a game with high 50's low 60's, I'm often the highest level in the game. But I feel like I play way worse, not just the worse win rate, individually, I just don't play as well. Why the hell does this happen? It makes no sense.

I'm 10 level higher than Lik and when we team up I'd say he is very consistently as good or better than me. It drives me nuts, I should be able to carry these teams and it's anything but. WHY?

Well
It's harder to play with people of different skill levels, the game actively discourages it, as you can probably see. You run into awkward issues of "I'm 10 above, which means we have a 40 on our team!". I was 76 and getting a 53 on my team to balance me out and 60s as the main. You can't win with the 53, because it might as well be a handicapped 5v6, even if you're silly good at your own role.

As for level differences between you and Lik, no idea. If he outperforms you according to their definition of the word (and assuming your ranks arent both supposed to be, say, 70, at which point the system will rank you fully a game anyways), you should theoretically be gaining less exp than him as you hit your correct spot and he will continue to gain one a match, and he'll lose very little and you'll lose more. So...theoretically, it's possible you're doing more stuff in line with the 'performance' system, whatever that is, or your ranks are slowly getting closer together.

Anyways, off to food, will check on my phone if I need to explain it better.

I also did worse in gaf groups. No idea why, I felt people were outplaying me a lot yet the second I went with my two support friends we all got up a lot in no time at all.

TL;DR theres something missing in the information above if that's truly the case and the game also screws you over for rank gaps

Eric WK

Sort of
it's performance+streak we believe
The internal MMR thinks you perform better based on winning a lot because you know, how else would you win so many in a row. I think it "helps" the performance thing, from what we can tell. Once you hit that point, the system believes you're way better than your rank, and keeps ranking you up until you hit a wall basically.

^definitely not a solo queue thing though, we triple queued and went up a rank a match over 12 games, with the two losses losing us 40%, but it didn't kill the rank a game streak. I think its a + or - modifier- as in, if youre at +5 in a row, a single loss isn't going to kill that, but a few will hit it negative finally. All of this is speculation, just adding my own personal experience with it to show it's not a constant streak or solo queue requirement.

I've gone 11-0 in a group and not received a streak bonus, just typical gains based on performance/team average differences.

Anytime I've gone 5+ solo queue it has resulted in a full rank per win after the fourth or fifth (not sure which).

Obviously you could gain a full rank on a win streak in a group and I'm sure many have, but it's not guaranteed.

Soulflarz

Banned
I've gone 11-0 in a group and not received a streak bonus, just typical gains based on performance/team average differences.

Anytime I've gone 5+ solo queue it has resulted in a full rank per win after the fourth or fifth (not sure which).

Probably just perform better with randoms then your group, because we have multiple people who've been able to get full rank streaks regardless. Some groups just don't work well, not much else to say on that sadly. If your team wins more but you do less, it's possibly a better choice to go off on your own regardless, as annoying as that is for said group. Assuming you want to rank up and see your limit, that is.

What the fuck it kicked me out of a ranked game randomly and now it keeps trying to readd me without me hitting rejoin. It gets to the side by side team display and then kicks me back out. Help

Edit: great there goes my rank. It's usually just the people leaving when we lose a round screwing me over, so variety is nice.

I lose a ton of exp for a loss. Average gain for a win.

Your explanation makes sense I guess. I pick Tracer thinking "these low level noobs will get owned" and it honestly not much different. Which just seems weird. There may definitely be a 'chemistry' thing with the four other players in a regular 65+ game that I just don't notice (finishing off kills, heals, shields, etc).

Well thanks. Still doesn't totally make sense to me. But it helps.

Eric WK

Probably just perform better with randoms then your group.

No, that absolutely isn't the case. I've played hundreds of hours at this point and I'm top 200 XB1, there's nothing I'm missing or that I don't understand any more than everyone else due to Blizzard's lack of transparency.

To your point directly, I had a 65-3 Gibraltar match in a group of six against a relatively even team and received less than 10% of a rank. I was 71 or 72 at the time. Last night during my solo queue streak, I was actually performing worse than normal and gaining full ranks.

Unfortunately, all any of us have to go on is anecdotes and conjecture until Blizzard actually reveals specifics of the system. I guess the simplest answer to the original poster is that, yes, win streaks and loss streaks have additional effects on your SR.

Soulflarz

Banned
^basically. We can deconfirm a lot but not confirm much sadly.

What the fuck it kicked me out of a ranked game randomly and now it keeps trying to readd me without me hitting rejoin. It gets to the side by side team display and then kicks me back out. Help

Edit: great there goes my rank. It's usually just the people leaving when we lose a round screwing me over, so variety is nice.

Common glitch, the match thinks youre in so you can't rejoin :/

My friend did this and had a solo reaper left on the other team, he won it for us easily. You get full winnings thankfully.

Kysen

Getting put into premades where it is just one or two extremely high levels trying to carry their dead weight RL friends. Lost a complete rank today because of this issue. Level 71 trying to carry a team of 45 and below completely screws with the matchmaking average.

LiK

^basically. We can deconfirm a lot but not confirm much sadly.

Common glitch, the match thinks youre in so you can't rejoin :/

My friend did this and had a solo reaper left on the other team, he won it for us easily. You get full winnings thankfully.

Feel free to ask Antitrop. He's playing with me right now in Comp.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ah damnit, i seem to be in the trading wins for losses hell now.

Been just going on an exact 50% w/l.

I win significantly better with dva but i'll feel bad for maining her because so many other people want to play tanks in the teams I've been grouped with.

E: And don't tell me it's in my head. LIK and Mariohead will back me up I'm sure.
I'm sorry, but I can't back you up on this.

I don't really pay attention to my teammates' performance.

This is anecdotal but it's my theory.

The low-mid 50's is all people people who either should be in the 60's or should be in the 40's. Both times I've had to pull myself out of the 50's it's been terrible. Getting a good team is a 50-50 chance, which is also your win rate most of the time. Both times I've jumped from mid 50's to 60's it's been in one play session where I went on huge win streaks in solo queue. Yea, I had something to do with that. But you won't convince me that there wasn't some luck involved. So my 'skill' level may be mid 60's but I could easily still be stuck in the mid 50's.

So when I team up with people into games with lower levels we get queued up into the horror that is the mid 50's which has a good amount of people who are my skill level, just not my rank. And people who belong in the 40's. I'll get a mix of both on my team but it's definitely more likely that the 67 in the 59 average rank game gets put on the team with the guy who belongs in the 40's.

Lik (one of those who belongs in the 60's but just hasn't gotten as lucky as me) just needs one lucky streak like I had to pull him out of the 50's. I bet if we were both 60+ we'd do great in team up.

TLDR: the theory is that two level 55's could be insanely different skill levels (one 65 one 45) but it is really tough for the game to split them at 50 because that where all the good players going up and bad players going down meet in the middle. Leading to crappy team comp, and everything staying static until they go on a luck/unlucky streak.

ISOM

One of the strangest QP games I had was a match of payload where to guys locked torn. Two minutes later I'm riding the Payload as Reinhardt with the two turrets on it wrecking house. It was bizarre.

This scenario happened to me in a quickplay game on Numbani, Rein, two Torbs and all. It was like a blitzkrieg and no one had any idea how to stop it.

I'm having a tough time with this game on PS4. The aiming mechanics feel off no matter what I do. Can't properly track targets, can't consistently headshot people. It's so weird and so frustrating.

AngryMoth

Tracer is so goddam fun on king of the hill. Blinking in behind a bastion and melting him in one clip is so satisfying lol

How often do the stats update? I'm still down as zero time played on Zen even though he's been one of my mains since he got buffed

Part of me wants to play with GAF, but I'm too nervous about how crap I'm probably playing right now. :p
I usually don't play comp, so I wouldn't care how terrible you are. Of course, I don't play on weekends since I'd rather not be up late when I have to work on the morning. But I can add you and play next week.

Ertai

Having a really nice winstreak goin up to 59, then losing it all again and ending up at 56 which is one rank above where i started the night.

I hate myself for not quitting when i'm high rank again for once. Feels like i just wasted a night playing

patchday

Oh, you can, it just doesn't really work in a thread when half the posts in the thread are against their teammates, I was just reiterating that you can't really improve them so it's a moot point at best. That just reminded me to say it in general.

honestly I just ignore complaints from people complaining bout randoms. I've seen too many good streamers carry and have been carried myself in MOBAs (and in OW)

Any youtube video from a high ranked player will tell you - "Dont worry bout your teammates, you can only improve yourself". Also they advise to hold yourself accountable for every loss. That's what I do

Granted all that said- I dont play Overwatch ranked. I play Hearthstone ranked cause its 1v1.

Would a shielded Zarya survive D.Va's self destruct?

Know this has already been answered, but just played a match where I shielded against a D.Va's ult at least three times. Hers and Junkrat's ults are my favorite things as a Zarya; everybody else on my team is scattering, and I'm trying my best to figure out where it's coming from so I can run TOWARDS it. "Thanks for the free 50% charge, much appreciated!" I always know I'm facing off against a skilled Junkrat player when they send the tire going right past me, knowing that it's not going to do anything but help me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Know this has already been answered, but just played a match where I shielded against a D.Va's ult at least three times. Hers and Junkrat's ults are my favorite things as a Zarya; everybody else on my team is scattering, and I'm trying my best to figure out where it's coming from so I can run TOWARDS it. "Thanks for the free 50% charge, much appreciated!" I always know I'm facing off against a skilled Junkrat player when they send the tire going right past me, knowing that it's not going to do anything but help me.

But did you shoot the tire to destroy it when that happens.

That's the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom