• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
The thing is gold medals are relative. Relative to how well you're doing vs your team and I'm about 99% sure that the game doesn't really take into account of that as a way to measure your skill, because using such an isolated and small sample would be a pretty bad way to measure your skill in such a wide player pool.

This
"but I win a lot" is also going to happen under the same logic

It's not even a probability, we can confirm gold medals aren't the thing that determines if you rank or not, else nothing makes sense with how people have placed.

LiK

win or lose. having fun is the first priority. people need to stop stressing out about the rank or skill or whatever else is in those stat sites. they don't matter in the end. people get mad over numbers way too much. i only get mad over people not doing their objectives.

Apathy

The thing is gold medals are relative. Relative to how well you're doing vs your team and I'm about 99% sure that the game doesn't really take into account of that as a way to measure your skill, because using such an isolated and small sample would be a pretty bad way to measure your skill in such a wide player pool.

It would just be easier if we got crystal clear confirmation from blizzard. for as open as they have been they could always be more open with how the system works

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i thought that was the whole point of the medals.

Against your team sure, but how can that be taken to determine your skill level for the whole player pool?

I got silver medal for 7 elims as lucio last night. It doesn't mean my lucio is good, it means that me and my team were doing shit.

Though I healed a shit ton that match due to how bad we were and got a very small rank loss, which kinda reinforces in my mind that blizzard is comparing your stats with how the character generally performs on the same map

Soulflarz

Banned
win or lose. having fun is the first priority. people need to stop stressing out about the rank or skill or whatever else is in those stat sites. they don't matter in the end. people get mad over numbers way too much. i only get mad over people not doing their objectives.

This.
I wanted my rank to go up cause who wouldnt wanna hit top 500 with friends so I grabbed the two who were support and we went onward, but once that was over, I'm done. If no ones having fun and just has stress from a game, it's not worth the rank grind. Rank is supposed to be something you can hit high in and feel proud with a "look at what I managed to do, I'm actually decently proud of my work!", not an awful "fuck this game we lost" that a lot of people get out of competitive systems, and the second the group you're with loses that, there isn't really any fun to be had

top 500- 91, skill- 76 was my cap. I'm happy I got there, surprised at myself and my friends, and fairly content. Not going to fall to anger or even annoyance over losing it down to "low 70s", since that'd be stupid.
If anything moreso annoyed I'm mostly done with the game on console because of people getting needlessly tilted.

LiK

Against your team sure, but how can that be taken to determine your skill level for the whole player pool?

I got silver medal for 7 elims as lucio last night. It doesn't mean my lucio is good, it means that me and my team were doing shit.

Though I healed a shit ton that match due to how bad we were and got a very small rank loss, which kinda reinforces in my mind that blizzard is comparing your stats with how the character generally performs on the same map

yea, i never considered the medals to mean anything outside of that one match. i always thought they were just lil report cards on how you did in that one match vs your teammates. it never occurred to me they meant anything for the overall skill you had vs other players in the world.

KarmaCow

What the fuck is going on, I lost 6 games in a row and lost 6 full ranks each time. The games were big close and blowouts, I had varying medals for each game but the only consistent thing was losing a full rank each game.

Antiwhippy

yea, i never considered the medals to mean anything outside of that one match. i always thought they were just lil report cards on how you did in that one match vs your teammates. it never occurred to me they meant anything for the overall skill you had vs other players in the world.

The problem is that people are using that as "see, I got gold medals, so why is it not ranking me up/down in accordance to the rest of the player pool"

Soulflarz

Banned
What the fuck is going on, I lost 6 games in a row and lost 6 full ranks each time. The games were big close and blowouts, I had varying medals for each game but the only consistent thing was losing a full rank each game.

MMR system thought you were too high of a rank vs what you actually should be. Whatever that means, we have no idea.

This system still sucks, it exists to frustrate people lol. Thankfully blizzard knows this.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm just having less and less fun with the game, win or lose. Just overall not a fan of the current meta on console.

I was saying it before to my friends
I don't know where my current thoughts are on this game

certain characters are way better, obnoxious strategies are encouraged.

QP is braindead easy at the moment, you can 2v6 and let 4 people screw around and still win.
Meanwhile comp exists to make others mad and it's painful to watch.

I don't know what I want to do in it anymore, I'm not having fun in QP even screwing around vs playing other things and I'm not finding ranked fun anymore really. Probably going to wait for s2, rehit top 500, take my winners prize, quit again. Kinda done.

O-or we could go to PC >_>

RefigeKru

Banned
Holy shit. NO ONE is trying to stop the payload.

If they are trying they're dying before even feeling remotely useful. Worst competitive game I've played since it first became available.

sixghost

What does a good Ana round look like? I can't seem to get anyone above a Silver in healing and maybe a Bronze in one other category if I'm lucky. I think I've won 50% of my games with her, but it always seems like I did terribly looking at the stats.

Soulflarz

Banned
DVa.

Now if they buffed mei I'll be able to pull out my second most played more. :D

I'm shocked tbh

What does a good Ana round look like? I can't seem to get anyone above a Silver in healing and maybe a Bronze in one other category if I'm lucky. I think I've won 50% of my games with her, but it always seems like I did terribly looking at the stats.

A good Ana switches to Lucio or zen, because, well, see below

I don't even know the metas

Basically to get to a high rank

Be the skill of a 40
Get a lucio/zen/zarya/d va/McCree/wildcard dps
???
profit

It's such a good combination its basically broken and deincentivizes anyone else. People see a mei or junkrat? They get mad, blame them. It's not that they aren't useful. It's just that setup in specific is so hard to deal with that people kind of give up mentally on it.

Antiwhippy

Silver healing is pretty ok depending on how big the gap is between the main healer. People slept, nano boost assists are also good indicators.

Okay I get the whole 'play to have fun thing' but you know what's fun? Good team comps, working together, and winning. What's not fun? Shitty team comps, not working together, and losing.

I mean positive attitudes are great but people actually have fun if they're getting steamrolled?

Apathy

why the fuck do people pick mccree when they cant aim for shit

why are you wasting 5 other people's time just cause you're a moron. go sit in practice, go play bots, stop bringing that into anything with actual humans till you can aim

Ramirez

same. sick of people only playing tracer/soldier/reaper. sick of nobody playing healer. sick of people having no interest in the objective.

Main thing I can't stand is characters like Genji/Pharah who are hard to hit, seems like they never die anymore. I attribute some of this to the Torb nerf, which was overkill and anyone who plays the game knew stacking was the problem, not the turret damage.

The strong turret feels like a necessary evil on console. Most games are just offensive steam rolls in my experience since the last patch.

Anne

I like the current meta over the "Heroes never die!" issues, but it's still having issues of being skewed really far in one direction. The trickle down effect is starting to happen too which is a good thing I guess. Too bad the game is just lopsided right now.

There are very few people that actually got to experience the full extent of Mercy BS because the trickle down hadn't kicked in that far, but boy that was dumb.

KarmaCow

MMR system thought you were too high of a rank vs what you actually should be. Whatever that means, we have no idea.

This system still sucks, it exists to frustrate people lol. Thankfully blizzard knows this.

It makes no sense, I have had worse losing streaks but I'm the lowest I've been in weeks now and I have never seen the bar move that much per game much less 6 times in a row. I just won a game, it was a blowout, I had gold healing and time, the bar barely moved a pip. Fuck. I was making good progress before today too but it just erased weeks of progression. And since I'm playing solo queue so it's a crap shoot of whether or not I'll get back to where I was before the season ends now. It's extremely frustrating.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay I get the whole 'play to have fun thing' but you know what's fun? Good team comps, working together, and winning. What's not fun? Shitty team comps, not working together, and losing.

I mean positive attitudes are great but people actually have fun if they're getting steamrolled?

No, losing isn't fun at all. But AAA FUCK THIS I HATE MY TEAMMATES for an hour is the most grating thing in a competitive game, it's really hard to stay positive and not just reply passively or avoid caring anymore. Mindset is a big thing in enjoyment.

Main thing I can't stand is characters like Genji/Pharah who are hard to hit, seems like they never die anymore. I attribute some of this to the Torb nerf, which was overkill and anyone who plays the game knew stacking was the problem, not the turret damage.

The strong turret feels like a necessary evil on console. Most games are just offensive steam rolls in my experience since the last patch.

Turret nerf was stupid, stacking was the issue indeed. Also Genji on a team is just hell on earth to death with due to his bunnyhop on a console. Pharah shouldn't even be viable but she suddenly is, it's annoying.

LiK

I find when people are enjoying the game, they tend to do better. When people get angry or frustrated it only demoralizes them and causes people to do worse. And usually if people lose and they're having fun, it's not a big deal. I try to keep that attitude or I would be just doing bad all day long. Which is also why I don't mind people in my group aren't doing their best. I don't care.

I find when people are enjoying the game, they tend to do better. When people get angry or frustrated it only demoralizes them and causes people to do worse. And usually if people lose and they're having fun, it's not a big deal. I try to keep that attitude or I would be just doing bad all day long. Which is also why I don't mind people in my group aren't doing their best. I don't care.
Fair enough.

I'm about to get online btw

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm just having less and less fun with the game, win or lose. Just overall not a fan of the current meta on console.

I've been somewhat feeling this but it's more just centered on seeing Genji so much. That guy is antifun to see just due to not being able to hit him.

On the other hand, Zen is super fun and I've been finding a new love for Winston mostly to kill Genji, though it's tricky since it feels like a minefield when you see other zens and reapers so much, also not a huge fan of him on defense. Lack of stacking is a huge plus atleast.

Ramirez

tracer feels fucking impossible to kill on console

Roadhog is the best Tracer counter on console, IMO.

Speaking of the Hog, y'all know you can hook Junkrat's wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1rRMshsFhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyqt92tH4tM

The first one was complete luck and caught me by surprise as I didn't even know it was possibly, the second was intended though! You can also hook D Va's mech before it explodes, but I haven't done that successfully yet. I was kinda bummed Whole Hog has no effect on pushing the mech away the one time I tried.

Is mei able to chase genjis away on console?

I rarely ever see Mei anymore. The current guarantees on console are Genji/Pharah/DVa/Reaper/Zen/Lucio, that's what I see the most of. The defensive cast as a whole rarely pops up except for Junk on KOTH.

Antiwhippy

Junkrat is the bane of my existence when I'm playing Tracer.

I'm usually just able to kill them.

That's what I meant. :p

Smart genjis just gtfo whe they see my mei but I sometimes still meet genjis who try to deflect freeze, which is so adorable that I want to pinch their cheeks. Their butt cheeks.

Soulflarz

Banned
I rarely ever see Mei anymore. The current guarantees on console are Genji/Pharah/DVa/Reaper/Zen/Lucio, that's what I see the most of. The defensive cast as a whole rarely pops up except for Junk on KOTH.

The main issue with console is that it's balanced for PC so basically we have all these balances that don't work very well and the "X or Y is much better" becomes a cheese strat instead of any fun. "Pharah or genji is harder to kill? better play Genji!"

Nudull

Banned

The first one was complete luck and caught me by surprise as I didn't even know it was possibly, the second was intended though! You can also hook D Va's mech before it explodes, but I haven't done that successfully yet. I was kinda bummed Whole Hog has no effect on pushing the mech away the one time I tried.

Seriously, Hog is awesome. Like a Max Mad-style Scorpion. :p

I also had no idea about Junkrat's wheel and D.Va's mech. Got to try that sometime. o.o

Blu(e)

There are people who like popular characters but never get to play them because other people instalock them. Just getting the chance play their favorite character is enough. I'm honestly really tired of support because other people's excuse is they can "carry" or they're "bad" at support.

Sometimes they don't get to play them because you get people like :
why the fuck do people pick mccree when they cant aim for shit

why are you wasting 5 other people's time just cause you're a moron. go sit in practice, go play bots, stop bringing that into anything with actual humans till you can aim
There is no bot that moves like Tracer, A D spam, or hop around like real people. If this is comp. I get the frustration. Hope you didn't type this out in game.

If it's QM, they're doing the practice right there or honestly just having fun. Don't get upset at them.

Antiwhippy

The first one was complete luck and caught me by surprise as I didn't even know it was possibly, the second was intended though! You can also hook D Va's mech before it explodes, but I haven't done that successfully yet.

You want to be real careful with that though.

Or don't do that at all.

Apathy

There are people who like popular characters but never get to play them because other people instalock them. Just getting the chance play their favorite character is enough. I'm honestly really tired of support because other people's excuse is they can "carry" or they're "bad" at support.

Sometimes they don't get to play them because you get people like :

There is no bot that moves like Tracer, A D spam, or hop around like real people. If this is comp. I get the frustration. Hope you didn't type this out in game.

If it's QM, they're doing the practice right there or honestly just having fun. Don't get upset at them.

it's comp and it's nothing short of frustrating losing points because we're 5v6ing cause of a window licker

So I've started doing this thing where I play whatever character is randomly auto-selected. That means I just had the experience of being the guy I hate: the offensive Torbjorn. The map was Numbani; I got to collect scrap from the first push and armor us up to take Point A the second time. We steamrolled from there; I went 9-2, had three gold medals, and got PotG. :lol

#justquickplaythings

Soulflarz

Banned
With Antiwhippy here, calm down guys, just a game :3 Worst case you need to get better, takes time

it's comp and it's nothing short of frustrating losing points because we're 5v6ing cause of a window licker

McCrees are good though

Even if they aren't they can drive you up a wall with FTH spam :V

edit: do I need to rebuy an origins copy or it's linked to my battle.net for the skins and I can buy the regular edition on PC

Afro

Zen mode. How/why is this even possible at rank 59?

5pWdOAl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom