• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

This game is never getting Deathmatch but man I'd love to see a 1v1 ranked mode where its a mirror match. Certain characters could work awesome like Pharah, Tracer, and Soldier

I'd be all over a 1v1 ranked mode! :)

Veelk

Banned
Know this has already been answered, but just played a match where I shielded against a D.Va's ult at least three times. Hers and Junkrat's ults are my favorite things as a Zarya; everybody else on my team is scattering, and I'm trying my best to figure out where it's coming from so I can run TOWARDS it. "Thanks for the free 50% charge, much appreciated!" I always know I'm facing off against a skilled Junkrat player when they send the tire going right past me, knowing that it's not going to do anything but help me.

Wouldn't a truly skilled junkrat just run his tire around you for 2 seconds before detonating?

Wouldn't a truly skilled junkrat just run his tire around you for 2 seconds before detonating?

It might have happened once or twice, but I think most Junkrat players find it easier just to look for other targets instead, rather than risk me shooting down and wasting their ult (which I try to do... some of the time. :p).

A fun one I learned in a match a while back: Zarya's ult actually works on a Junkrat tire. Didn't even realize I had done it until I saw the message saying it had been destroyed, like "Hey, I killed those two enemies, but bonus!"

Oh, and one more Zarya thing: the increase of D.Va play with her buff has been good in some ways (Defense Matrix does nothing against Zarya's primary fire), but I've learned the hard way over the last few maps that a D.Va with her Defense Matrix up does in fact block Zarya's ult. So many times I fired off my ult. and wondered, "Wait, what happened? Where's the black hole?" before I realized that D.Va was eating it up. Curse that gremlin!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh, and one more Zarya thing: the increase of D.Va play with her buff has been good in some ways (Defense Matrix does nothing against Zarya's primary fire), but I've learned the hard way over the last few maps that a D.Va with her Defense Matrix up does in fact block Zarya's ult. So many times I fired off my ult. and wondered, "Wait, what happened? Where's the black hole?" before I realized that D.Va was eating it up. Curse that gremlin!

Did that so often and it's always delicious.

Especially when it's unintentional.

I kinda love it that this is part of the game now instead of the constant snowballing rollovers caused by people building their ults. Having some counterplay to that is not a bad thing.

Apathy

It might have happened once or twice, but I think most Junkrat players find it easier just to look for other targets instead, rather than risk me shooting down and wasting their ult (which I try to do... some of the time. :p).

A fun one I learned in a match a while back: Zarya's ult actually works on a Junkrat tire. Didn't even realize I had done it until I saw the message saying it had been destroyed, like "Hey, I killed those two enemies, but bonus!"

It's always better to go for for sure targets rather than some mythical 6 player full team kill. Thats why doing it as close to targets, although more dangerous, is better., less time for them to adjust.

That being said, that tire needs more than 100 health. it should have 150. at higher skill levels it's close to useless and it's used to scatter a team rather than actually get kills which is frustrating.

Either raise the hp or let me kill d.va ults. They do the same and one now is so much stronger than the other by a huge margin.

Speaking of Dva, they need to stop making maps with points that have zero cover. Like if D;va is going to get a massive ult, how about building maps so people can hide. Illios ruins is a prime example, so is volskaya a. just terrible maps with no way to cut LOS fast.

Kinda wish they fix 60 tick and release it to the general public, it really is the biggest single issue I still have with this game. Being behind walls on my screen just to get hooked or killed and then seeing the kill cam showing me out of cover is annoying.

Antiwhippy

The way overbuff/playoverwatch determines which character gets the win for matches is aggravating sometimes. I switch up characters depending on the phase and some of my lucio wins don't count and i only get the Ls. :<

ISOM

Know this has already been answered, but just played a match where I shielded against a D.Va's ult at least three times. Hers and Junkrat's ults are my favorite things as a Zarya; everybody else on my team is scattering, and I'm trying my best to figure out where it's coming from so I can run TOWARDS it. "Thanks for the free 50% charge, much appreciated!" I always know I'm facing off against a skilled Junkrat player when they send the tire going right past me, knowing that it's not going to do anything but help me.

Skilled Junkrats also wait out your shield which is really annoying.

Apathy

that feeling when someone picks d.va and you expect them to defense matrix ults and they are more concerned with self destructing and following a fully charged zarya

ramyeon

Down to 47, season low. Solo queue is starting to eat at me. No one communicates its fucking ridiculous. I've started having to tell people we need a healer because no one picks support it gets worse the lower down the rabbit hole I go. And of course opposition teams ALWAYS have their shit together and work tightly as a team. Rage inducing.

Veelk

Banned
Dva.

Even before the patch dva was good there on offense.

I probably had my best moment there then. I had my ult ready and shot it into the air. Their Mei sees it, and pointless puts up a wall. No one saw it coming, apparently, so no one took cover. It's my only instance of a team kill. I only wish I did the mekaless D.Va emote as a final signature.

We didn't even win that game, but awesome potg.

Antiwhippy

I probably had my best moment there then. I had my ult ready and shot it into the air. Their Mei sees it, and pointless puts up a wall. No one saw it coming, apparently, so no one took cover. It's my only instance of a team kill. I only wish I did the mekaless D.Va emote as a final signature.

We didn't even win that game, but awesome potg.

Dva ult kills potg are fun and all, but my favorite dva potg last night was just me pushing everyone off li jiang tower.

Nobody expects the dva environment kills potg.

ramyeon

Almost down to 46. I'm done for the day. Too much frustration. I would love to play alongside people who actually know what they're doing and don't run off to play hero all the time, but that's not the quality of game I'm getting today.

Apathy

Almost down to 46. I'm done for the day. Too much frustration. I would love to play alongside people who actually know what they're doing and don't run off to play hero all the time, but that's not the quality of game I'm getting today.

Don't frustrate yourself, try again next season and just hope the placement matches get you into a good spot

Veelk

Banned
Dva ult kills potg are fun and all, but my favorite dva potg last night was just me pushing everyone off li jiang tower.

Nobody expects the dva environment kills potg.
I don't do that super often, but I did have a junkat who tried to jump through the hole in the big circle area. I was intending on just going after him to shoot him down, but we collided midair and he fell into the abyss.

I need to learn to play emotes or voice clips at those moments. Perfect opportunity for a "Winkyface!"

I don't do that super often, but I did have a junkat who tried to jump through the hole in the big circle area. I was intending on just going after him to shoot him down, but we collided midair and he fell into the abyss.

I need to learn to play emotes or voice clips at those moments. Perfect opportunity for a "Winkyface!"
No one can hear voice lines except yourself and your teammates.

patchday

Down to 47, season low. Solo queue is starting to eat at me. No one communicates its fucking ridiculous. I've started having to tell people we need a healer because no one picks support it gets worse the lower down the rabbit hole I go. And of course opposition teams ALWAYS have their shit together and work tightly as a team. Rage inducing.

Wow now that sounds bad. I like the new buffed supports and Ana. I find I have to compete to get support role in my case but this is QM. I wonder if you're on console I am getting that vibe. I'm on PC

jotun?

I've learned the hard way over the last few maps that a D.Va with her Defense Matrix up does in fact block Zarya's ult. So many times I fired off my ult. and wondered, "Wait, what happened? Where's the black hole?" before I realized that D.Va was eating it up. Curse that gremlin!

I actually really dislike that this can happen. It's basically never intentional by D.Va, and with how often she puts DM up and down there's no good way to avoid it. It's not exactly RNG, but for all practical purposes it's just random.

Antiwhippy

I actually really dislike that this can happen. It's basically never intentional by D.Va, and with how often she puts DM up and down there's no good way to avoid it. It's not exactly RNG, but for all practical purposes it's just random.

Or just don't throw it in front of her.

Like I've had a few unintentional ones, but more often than not it's me seeing "oh this zarya is walking towards us in a stupidly obvious way".

Or me doing a sweeping motion when I hear "going for the toddler steal"

Apathy

Wish Biotic Grenade countered each other. Like if an pponent debuffed a teammate and your ana tossed the grenade, fine it won't heal you cause of the opponents debuff but it should take off the debuff so you could start healing. It would be a nice tactical change

ramyeon

Don't frustrate yourself, try again next season and just hope the placement matches get you into a good spot
Yeah pretty much. I'll keep playing to get competitive points and whatnot, but yeah. I actually don't care about the number, I just want good games with decent players :/
Wow now that sounds bad. I like the new buffed supports and Ana. I find I have to compete to get support role in my case but this is QM. I wonder if you're on console I am getting that vibe. I'm on PC
Yeah on PS4, it's not great.

finalflame

Once again not believing the "ranking system will push you up if you're a good player" . I just played with D.Va on Hanamura like trash; got carried hard, only bronze in objective elims, and gained way more rank than my previous games. I KNOW I didn't play well.

I wish Blizzard would just explain this shit.

patchday

aw man I forget this game is on consoles sometimes. I have this game on ps4 too and I thought the randoms were tough to play with. Ended up focusing on PC version

Good luck! I know how frustrating ranked can be in other games. Hence why I keep putting off playing ranked in OW too. plus already busy with ranked in Hearthstone. I love both these games and try to split my time between both

Mush

Wish Biotic Grenade countered each other. Like if an pponent debuffed a teammate and your ana tossed the grenade, fine it won't heal you cause of the opponents debuff but it should take off the debuff so you could start healing. It would be a nice tactical change
I'm pretty sure Zenyatta works like this, right? Like a teammate has an enemy discord orb on them and then you chuck a harmony orb on them and then it nullifies it?

Soulflarz

Banned
Once again not believing the "ranking system will push you up if you're a good player" . I just played with D.Va on Hanamura like trash; got carried hard, only bronze in objective elims, and gained way more rank than my previous games. I KNOW I didn't play well.

I wish Blizzard would just explain this shit.

It's not match over match, internal MMR is your general skill, not match to match.

Anyways TL;DR of 3 queue being optimal
never queue with 4 in set roles if you don't have both support+a tank+dps or similar
you run the risk of say, 2 dps 2 support

you now leave 2 people to hopefully be a tank main. Theres a good chance they're both dps, as solo queue is a lot. Stuff like that. You know 3 is enough to do your part, but 4 without one dps/one tank locked in runs the risk of a terrible team comp due to mains, 3 is even risky as is.

Antiwhippy

I'm pretty sure Zenyatta works like this, right? Like a teammate has an enemy discord orb on them and then you chuck a harmony orb on them and then it nullifies it?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way? Could be misremembering a few thing, but I'm pretty sure I've seen both on the same person.

Owzers

Yeah pretty much. I'll keep playing to get competitive points and whatnot, but yeah. I actually don't care about the number, I just want good games with decent players :/

i will friend you later, i don't always use a mic but i will not abandon a team to a life without support.

Also offensive torbs.

Apathy

nope, a player can have both

I believe zarya bubble and mei ice block are the only ways to get rid of debuffs right now, and lucio ult breaks sleep.

Soulflarz

Banned
lmao losses get you out of top 500 so fast

win/loss 50% gets you up 20 every match
loss? -90

edit: yeah my groups falling apart with caring too much.

I got my top 500 mark, I don't care if I fall out over time, capped 76, will prob end low 70s, can't say I care too much on console anymore, people getting angry over losses :<

yeah, 2 losses took me 170->423

lol, 73 is top 500, it totally isn't based off your rank
Yeah losing streak lol. Then again, as I said a ton of times, I got top 100, I can't say I really care anymore, else I would have taken a break the second I hit 91. All I know is it's not fun dealing with "fuck my teammates" mentality.

Antiwhippy

lmao losses get you out of top 500 so fast

win/loss 50% gets you up 20 every match
loss? -90

edit: yeah my groups falling apart with caring too much.

I got my top 500 mark, I don't care if I fall out over time, capped 76, will prob end low 70s, can't say I care too much on console anymore, people getting angry over losses :<

yeah, 2 losses took me 170->423

lol, 73 is top 500, it totally isn't based off your rank
Yeah losing streak lol. Then again, as I said a ton of times, I got top 100, I can't say I really care anymore, else I would have taken a break the second I hit 91. All I know is it's not fun dealing with "fuck my teammates" mentality.

Just play it more relaxed. At some point it's not really worth it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Just play it more relaxed. At some point it's not really worth it.

Honestly, this. I was happy to hit top 100. Nice bragging rights, etc. But when friends are constantly stressing and going GREAT I DERANKED WHY I'm just sitting there going "w-why are we doing this again? I can be enjoying my day in any other way. Not everyone is going to hit the silly high rank, it's also not too important"

76->73, lol. I'm mostly done on console though, my group quit in anger. It's not fun for me without my friends (they're the only reason I tried to get good) and with that out bleh.

I mean I showed it in thread- it's a video game, calm down. Telling people off over a game is kind of silly and pointless and is really really unfun to hear over a mic, makes me want to do anything else.

edit: why do people get mad at games?
I understand being sad, or being annoyed at myself for having not learned enough (at which point I must improve!)...but I never have this "all is lost AND ITS ALL THEIR FAULT" mindset. It...isn't really helpful to doing well I feel like.

Yeah, I'm still mostly playing solo queue Quick Play, and find it a lot more fun and less stressful than queuing up for Competitive. Sure, it's a crap shoot on whether or not you get a competent team or a bunch of scrubs, but honestly I've found I prefer that to having to worry about my rank going too low and being consigned to the dregs of Competitive. I might try Competitive a bit more in Season 2, but unless I'm in a group I'm cool just chilling and having a good time in QP.

finalflame

It's not match over match, internal MMR is your general skill, not match to match.

Seems because you have a high skill rating you really like to reinforce this idea that it's about your general skill somehow, and uses some kind of magic skill measuring dust that has nothing to do with attaining gold medals (Blizzard's own outward facing measure of how well you're personally doing) and which nobody fully understands, but is 100% the way you believe it to be.

If the system was so great, it wouldn't be shrouded in mystery. And if the gold medals don't mean anything, especially when you're attaining multiple of them playing the right heroes for those measures, then it needs to be removed completely and reworked. Or Blizzard needs to introduce measures of personal performance that accurately reflect what they are measuring you on.

Until there's evidence of how the MMR actually works, and if you can link me to hard evidence, then please do, I will continue to think it's wonky at best. And I say this even though I've climbed 17 ranks since my initial placement.

Soulflarz

Banned
Seems because you have a high skill rating you really like to reinforce this idea that it's about your general skill somehow, and uses some kind of magic skill measuring dust that has nothing to do with attaining gold medals (Blizzard's own outward facing measure of how well you're personally doing) and which nobody fully understands, but is 100% the way you believe it to be.

If the system was so great, it wouldn't be shrouded in mystery. And if the gold medals don't mean anything, especially when you're attaining multiple of them playing the right heroes for those measures, then it needs to be removed completely and reworked. Or Blizzard needs to introduce measures of personal performance that accurately reflect what they are measuring you on.

Until there's evidence of how the MMR actually works, and if you can link me to hard evidence, then please do, I will continue to think it's wonky at best. And I say this even though I've climbed 17 ranks since my initial placement.

I'm shit at the game, I thought we went over this :V Just saying internal MMR doesn't match your skill rating
Hell, I've been almost at a 100 point higher top 500 rank at a skill rank lower in an hour difference. As someone whos left it alone overnight twice and hasn't moved more than 15 ranks (moved 3 the first night, 15 the second), I can confirm the game doesn't have such a large moving number. Your internal MMR doesn't match your external.

And we have nothing to disprove those assumptions. We've had tons of people get triple bronze and rank up fully anyways, why would medals count. This would mean no one should play characters who can't self heal, because that's an extra medal. This also goes against whole teams going into placement and all hitting 75- there aren't enough medals to go around, nor does this make sense.

Seems the only thing everyone can agree on is that your rank snowballs.

Antiwhippy

The thing is gold medals are relative. Relative to how well you're doing vs your team and I'm about 99% sure that the game doesn't really take into account of that as a way to measure your skill, because using such an isolated and small sample would be a pretty bad way to measure your skill in such a wide player pool.

LiK

The thing is gold medals are relative. Relative to how well you're doing vs your team and I'm about 99% sure that the game doesn't really take into account of that as a way to measure your skill, because using such an isolated and small sample would be a pretty bad way to measure your skill in such a wide player pool.

i thought that was the whole point of the medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom