• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't the idea to get you into a bracket of people roughly your skill so you'll be winning and losing with equal frequency? that's not happening with me, i'm consistently >60% winrate in comp and haven't climbed so i'm still playing the same people.

if you're winning 80% or more of your games like some pros you should probably be in the 90s right now and i don't think anyone's past 82 or so
Elo has no direct correlation with winrate; whom you beat (or lose to) is as important as whether or not you win.

Seagull gets very little for stomping lower-ranked players, because the system expects him to do that. He gets a mediocre amount for beating similar-ranked players, because the system expects those to be coin tosses, more or less. He would get large amounts for beating higher-ranked players, but there are very few such players. Because there are many more lower-ranked players, he is, occasionally, going to suffer a precipitous drop for losing to them.

Blizzard can't win. They had a linear progression system in beta where you could rank up by accumulating wins. People complained. They now have an Elo-like system that will make it hard for you to climb or fall much after a while, which provides a strong indicator of actual skill relative to other players.

And now people are complaining about that.

(And yes, the ideal is to get you to a place where you're more or less winning 50% of the time and slightly outperforming that if you're above-average. But it's a swing-y game with odd multiplicative/snowball effects [principally because of ults], and matchmaking prioritizes putting you in a game over finding the perfect game. Sometimes you are going to get stomped by a team you're actually about as good as, and vice-versa. Sometimes you're going to get put in a bad situation because no one wants to wait more than a few minutes to play again.)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I haven't played a single match this week thanks to work
and Summer Games Done Quick

It feels like half the PS4 community that eventually learned how to overcome the Torb stack suddenly forgot overnight, it's making one last stand before the hammer of nerfing comes down on it as opposed to the hammer of upgrading to lvl 2.

Mixed bag of games today but had an absolute slaughterfest as Reaper in a KotH game that went the full five rounds, it's almost silly how well he can clean up in this mode.

aeolist

Banned
(And yes, the ideal is to get you to a place where you're more or less winning 50% of the time and slightly outperforming that if you're above-average. But it's a swing-y game with odd multiplicative/snowball effects [principally because of ults], and matchmaking prioritizes putting you in a game over finding the perfect game. Sometimes you are going to get stomped by a team you're actually about as good as, and vice-versa. Sometimes you're going to get put in a bad situation because no one wants to wait more than a few minutes to play again.)

well obviously things will swing one way or the other based on factors outside your control, but given a large enough sample size of games it should even out. so far that doesn't seem to be happening.

The Skill level or whatever the other one is called in Competitive.

EDIT: Just got stuck with him in the next match too.

Holy Toledo, someone has a 13 rank in competitive? I feel like you have to literally be unable to move your character or look at things at that point.

well obviously things will swing one way or the other based on factors outside your control, but given a large enough sample size of games it should even out. so far that doesn't seem to be happening.
The sample size for this is probably several hundred games. Someone better at math could calculate for you at what point your winrate should stabilize. In any case, a 60% winrate means less when all wins are not equal.

Also, there are a bunch of other things weighing everyone down, including Blizzard's penalizing all players in a game for one person leaving.

But given an Elo system, everyone clustering in the 40-60 range--with a few very bad or very good players able to stretch beyond that band--is kind of working as intended. With a few fixes and some fudging, Blizzard could probably produce a bigger spread. We'll see what they do in future seasons.

MG310

Holy Toledo, someone has a 13 rank in competitive? I feel like you have to literally be unable to move your character or look at things at that point.

Just got him again. Same shit with Mei. I think he's trying to get to 0. If you see Bezerker22285 expect bullshit.

aeolist

Banned
it would be interesting if it turns out to be impossible to play enough games to reach "true" elo in the length of a season

Eric WK

Seagull said it would probably takes 100s of wins with 0 losses to get to 100 skill rating.

So yeah, pretty much impossible.

100 is arbitrary. Nobody has to reach it. If the best players cap at, say 90, the system can be working entirely as intended if it's placing them properly relative to the skill/performance of others.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
100 is arbitrary. Nobody has to reach it. If the best players cap at, say 90, the system can be working entirely as intended if it's placing them properly relative to the skill/performance of others.
Well an issue then becomes once you reach a point in which losing is so significantly worse than winning in terms of xp gains there is literally no reason to play ranked, and thus people will either make smurfs or stop playing ranked.

Overwatch will need at some point a GrandMaster league, last thing you want is very high profile pro streamers have no reason to play.

jorgejjvr

Looking for people on PS4 that play often, I mostly play at nights!

PSN: jorgejjvr

edit: thinking of competitive and voice chat :)

Symmetra is the best character.

Symmetra is love.

Symmetra melts through 5 characters in less than 5 seconds.

Welcome to my reality.

Seriously I'm god awful at playing Offense, but oh the webs I weave as Symmetra on Defense is so good. Move over Widowmaker, the real black widow is Symmetra baiting foolish Genji and Reaper and such into my 6 turret car wash of death. Oh you think you can move the payload? Lets see you move past a seemingly infinite minefield of turret annoyances while my team moves in to kill you, immediately coming back to haunt you if you even manage to kill them thanks to the teleport. Also the fear people have of Symmetra coming straight at them is fantastic. Until D.va and Zen gets a decent buff (if D.va deserves a buff, I guess that's still debatable), Symmetra is officially my main.

On a totally different, unrelated topic: I hate Winston.

Yeah, I hate to be like those folks who always pick Hanzo the second they can choose characters, but if it's defense I almost immediately pick Symmetra. Granted about 33% of the time I have to switch off if the opposing team pushes too hard too fast, but I've helped hold down so many Point As with her, it's the best. It's funny how often a Roadhog will hook me and not manage to finish me off, and instead of running away like I'm sure he expects me to, I jump over his head, hit my beam, and make the big piggy scurry around trying to get a shot and take me out. And playing her has really given me a better sense of the maps, as far as where the major flanking points are, and where the enemy is most likely to duck in to try and grab a health pack.

And yeah, Winston can be a pain in the ass, but I've been surprised how many times I've come out the victor when I'm hanging on the point and Winston jumps in. Granted he's a huge target and my teammates are probably chipping him down as well, but in the battle of "guns you don't have to aim with," Symemetra's comes out the winner a surprising amount.

Well an issue then becomes once you reach a point in which losing is so significantly worse than winning in terms of xp gains there is literally no reason to play ranked, and thus people will either make smurfs or stop playing ranked.

Overwatch will need at some point a GrandMaster league, last thing you want is very high profile pro streamers have no reason to play.

Just think of the grandmaster league as the top 20-30 skill rankings, whatever they happen to be. When you're at the actual top, you'll always be putting more on the line regardless of the system.

Does Blizzard track how much damage is done to the spawn rooms? Every game they just get trashed while people wait for the match and it seems like one of those dumb little statistics that would be fun to track.

You know, im actually starting to think that I'm using one of the most underpowered characters in the game with Tracer.

It's hard killing more than one character with my special move and I need to unload an entire clip to kill anyone, while others can destroy an entire team with their specials and kill people in one shot.

Tracer just can't kill as fast and as many.
But I think it's the most fun character.
I'm also not bitching because I suck. I'm above average with Tracer, but I feel like she's very limited.

ksan

You know, im actually starting to think that I'm using one of the most underpowered characters in the game with Tracer.

It's hard killing more than one character with my special move and I need to unload an entire clip to kill anyone, while others can destroy an entire team with their specials and kill people in one shot.

you need to be close and aim for the head to be effective, i dont think that tracer is underpowered

Does Blizzard track how much damage is done to the spawn rooms? Every game they just get trashed while people wait for the match and it seems like one of those dumb little statistics that would be fun to track.

That would be cool. As a pre-match ritual, I always have to shoot off the panels in the spawn rooms before a match begins.

finalflame

I'm also not bitching because I suck. I'm above average with Tracer, but I feel like she's very limited.

Tracer is fantastic in the right hands. You need to blink to position yourself advantageously to your foes, aim for the head, and shoot aggressively. I have stalled KOTH points from being capped in the last 5-10 seconds by running in as Tracer and taking out 2-3 of the enemy team's heroes while waiting for my team to return.

She's also situational. Just watch some high level competitive KOTH gameplay.

you need to be close and aim for the head to be effective, i dont think that tracer is underpowered

That's the thing though, headshots can be difficult, but Hanzo, Roadhog, Junkrat and some others don't need headshots, they can kill you in less than a second with one shot anywhere. They just have it easier.
Another thing I've noticed is that I feel like blink isn't really teleporting, it's just an invisible dash. I can get killed in the middle of using blink. It should be a real teleport.

Like I said I do pretty well, but I could do better and be more helpful with another character.
Or maybe I'm just butthurt.

Tracer is an excellent character. Are you within 5 feet, landing consistent headshots and dancing around?

I can do pretty well. I can get really high kill streaks(between 10-20 usually) and survive for really long. I've gotten really good at using blink in a way where I feel I can do it infinitely. I know how to space it enough for it to constantly be recharging and ready to use.

I just wish I could destroy a group by myself in an instant. I've done that maybe once or twice with the bomb. It's super hard.

ksan

That's the thing though, headshots can be difficult, but Hanzo, Roadhog, Junkrat and some others don't need headshots, they can kill you in less than a second with one shot anywhere. They just have it easier.
Another thing I've noticed is that I feel like blink isn't really teleporting, it's just an invisible dash. I can get killed in the middle of using blink. It should be a real teleport.

Like I said I do pretty well, but I could do better and be more helpful with another character.
Or maybe I'm just butthurt.

or maybe
you gotta practice

its the only way!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you don't have a good grip on how Tracer is supposed to play. She's not really supposed to wipe out groups, but to flank and harass and take out key targets like Mercy and Widowmaker.

I can do pretty well. I can get really high kill streaks(between 10-20 usually) and survive for really long. I've gotten really good at using blink in a way where I feel I can do it infinitely. I know how to space it enough for it to constantly be recharging and ready to use.

I just wish I could destroy a group by myself in an instant. I've done that maybe once or twice with the bomb. It's super hard.

Tracer's already rough to deal with in certain situations. If she had more destructive power to achieve that, she'd be so OP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

I'd say her vertical mobility is her only real limiting factor though that can be mitigated with Blinking across high spots, proper timing, positioning and Recall. Her damage output is not weak when up close and especially when landing headshots. Her strength is in flanking, popping in and out of battle, contesting and distracting. As others have said she is also situational, as much as I enjoy playing Tracer I know I can serve the team better on certain modes with people who are more team-oriented like Soldier 76 for example.

On that note, she's a blast on KoTH:
0EFow7D.jpg

Qt4BFY3.jpg

I guess the answer is - practice and get better at headshotting.
I'll stick with her. Even when I lose I still have fun.
Thanks for responding everyone.

abundant

It seems like the higher your rank, the less crappy the players are, I was in the 50s and was in pretty solid games, but it might be different for others.

Even when in the 50s, YMMV in Ranked, just like in Quick Play. For instance, the last Ranked game I played had people in the 50s, yet they were so bad, they completely ignored Torb's turret.

Don't know if this was already said, but:

New brawl is up:
"Show your support"
Heroes: only supports(Mercy,Lucio,Zenyatta, and Symmetra)
Only two of the same hero

Even when in the 50s, YMMV in Ranked, just like in Quick Play. For instance, the last Ranked game I played had people in the 50s, yet they were so bad, they completely ignored Torb's turret.

Yeah, I started at 54 in ranking, ended up down at 48 due to godawful teams. No one on the mics, falling victim to standard Torbjorn/Bastion/Reinhardt configurations over and over again. That plus the leavers problem made me give up on solo competitive, at least for this season.

mbpm1

Don't know if this was already said, but:

New brawl is up:
"Show your support"
Heroes: only supports(Mercy,Lucio,Zenyatta, and Symmetra)
Only two of the same hero

...I just suggested this last week I think. Or someone did.

Either way, heroes never die, so let's break it down!

BigDug13

Seagull sometimes plays Zenyatta if he has a Symmetra on the team. He says that 25 extra shield is huge in making Zenyatta a decent class pick. Gonna be a fun brawl week.

taoofjord

PC player looking to join/start a group that plays one or two times a week at a regular time.

My skill level? I'm... okay? Maybe? I main Genji, Junkrat, and 76 but am open to getting better with other heroes.

I'm only looking for people to play with people that have a mic and are willing to work together and communicate as a team. Must be nice. If you take the game so seriously that you have to say something assy when your team is sucking or someone does something stupid then move along. I'm looking to have fun first and foremost.

FYI, I'm on wireless right now where I periodically get some annoying lag, but will have a super fast wired connection in 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, if you're interested, send a PM :)

ramyeon

Enough can't be said about how amazing the hero lineup in this is. I don't think there's a single character that I don't enjoy playing as. It's ridiculous. I feel like every time I play I feel like playing with a different hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom