• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five solo ranked games, and I've gone 1-5. I ended up leaving the first one, which I very rarely do in this game. But man. This is rough. I'm doing it solo of course. I need teammates again. Haha

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, I can't play low sensitvity. I don't know if it's just because my desk is too high for my chair or what but it just feels like pushing through mud and only ever useful if I'm always aiming forward. Which I'm not.

I had a Genji ult that I would've killed 4 dudes with but because I was struggling so hard to keep up with where the enemy was, I got like 2 and died.

Mercy is near useless when on an oblivious team. She needs so much protection or at least a good Pharah to follow around. There's a reason Lucio has a much better win record than Mercy.

Unfortunately I've had trouble convincing even my friends to watch my back as Mercy, I get that it's not as easy as it sounds to keep an eye on your healer especially with a mob of enemies incoming from the front but sometimes the tunnel vision people seem to have while say a Winston is messing you up for a good 10 seconds is enough to make me salt the very earth.

I think one of the reasons I've not played much in a while is the wonky aiming. I know it's been mentioned by a lot of people. It's just difficult to land precision shots on Xbox One. Ive played with the sensitivity a bunch, but nothing helped. Le sigh.

X-Frame

So I had a pretty good weekend on PS4.

Tried out competitive. Once solo and the other 9 games with a friend.

Record went like this:

W-W-W-L-W-W-W-W-L-W.

Ended up at Rank 66 while my friend got rank 58 I think.

No idea how that ranks with the rest of the world. Can't tell if I should be happy or unhappy with that number. Decided not to really bother with rank for a while until I know what really comes of it.

Considering someone on Reddit this weekend found that 95% of all players fall within something like 40 and 60, being a 66 means you're likely Top 1% right now.

What classes were you mostly?

I think one of the reasons I've not played much in a while is the wonky aiming. I know it's been mentioned by a lot of people. It's just difficult to land precision shots on Xbox One. Ive played with the sensitivity a bunch, but nothing helped. Le sigh.

This is still my #1 complaint personally. Blizzard could actually help themselves by there being less disparity between PC and Console balance changes by improving the aiming.

They said they did sometbing to reduce the analog stick deadzones in the last patch but honestly the differences must have been very small, I don't notice much of a difference.

Still a long way to go before aiming feels as smooth or crisp as a game like Destiny.

Started playing more characters than Zarya and Mercy and the game has gotten better for it. Tried playing Trobjorn and had no idea what I was doing though. :(

This is still my #1 complaint personally. Blizzard could actually help themselves by there being less disparity between PC and Console balance changes by improving the aiming.

They said they did sometbing to reduce the analog stick deadzones in the last patch but honestly the differences must have been very small, I don't notice much of a difference.

Still a long way to go before aiming feels as smooth or crisp as a game like Destiny.
It's my biggest complaint as well. I really love the game, but when such a fundamental component of it doesn't seem to be working as it should, it makes it a bit difficult to play. I love playing as Mei, and it's already hard enough to land her Icicle shots because they fire on a delay, and adding the aiming aspect I mentioned into this just makes it even harder.

X-Frame

To those who main Zarya/Roadhog, what do you do when no one on the team picks Reinhardt or Winston? Do you switch?

Not usually. Roadhog is great for Defense IMO and is self-sustaining with his heal so less reliance on other characters.

Zarya is also a good pick even if there are no other Tanks but so long as there are other push-classes that will be aggressive for Zarya to throw shields on. So a Tracer, Reaper, Genji will still do well to generate Energy for Zarya unless they're flanking way out of her LoS.

Not usually. Roadhog is great for Defense IMO and is self-sustaining with his heal so less reliance on other characters.

Zarya is also a good pick even if there are no other Tanks but so long as there are other push-classes that will be aggressive for Zarya to throw shields on. So a Tracer, Reaper, Genji will still do well to generate Energy for Zarya unless they're flanking way out of her LoS.
Yeah, a Roadhog is good at holding the main choke point on 2cp maps and can be a game changer on that mode, and he's amazing at doing massive dps.

I also find that his ult is good for killing Reinhardt shields, which can be very useful.

wonderpug

Neo Member
To those who main Zarya/Roadhog, what do you do when no one on the team picks Reinhardt or Winston? Do you switch?

I don't follow. I play a lot of Zarya but I've never felt like Reinhardt or Winston were a key part of my effectiveness. I get more excited if I see someone choose someone like Tracer or Genji who I know is going to regularly be in the thick of things letting me bubble them and build charge.

Pooya

seagull has played ranked like 5 hours on stream everyday, 2-3 queue, and he hasn't climbed much if at all and that's with winning a lot. Playing hard matches for several rounds, 1 guy dcs. reconnects, he gets almost nothing, one loss loses 1 rank lol.

I checked shayed's stream, she plays support with him, she gets about half of what he gets, that's even worse.

LiK

I don't need Reinhardt or Winston in the team to play as Zarya and Roadhog. I do fine with them as long as I have a support with me.

I'm trash with Winston, and decent with Reinhardt. I'm pretty damn good with Roadhog and he's been my dude for the past week or so. Like 90% of my playtime in competitive is Hog. So, no is the answer to your question I guess. I help the team way more, even though he's not as good for 'team comp'

I'm not an asshole about it though (Hanzo players) if I'm not being effective i'll switch, it's just rare that I'm not. He's the best 'hole puncher' in the game IMO, Hook one dude when you are having a standoff on something like Hanamura and suddenly it's 6v5 and you have a huge advantage and you can push through.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Congrats GraveRobber, worst and laziest OP I ever seen on NeoGAF. Next time let someone else do it. Someone who wants and know how to do it...

This the fourth OT

Do we really need to have a 15,000 post OP every fucking OT created
I left a link that gives you all the fucking info you need

OK Matt Frost sorry I rusteled your jimmies or triggered you, by not having dedicated OP info, yet with one click you get to the info!

No one was making the thread, so I did it, kept it plain and simple and the conversation continued, isn't that more important than copy/pasting the absurd info amount

seagull has played ranked like 5 hours on stream everyday, 2-3 queue, and he hasn't climbed much if at all and that's with winning a lot. Playing hard matches for several rounds, 1 guy dcs. reconnects, he gets almost nothing, one loss loses 1 rank lol.

I checked shayed's stream, she plays support with him, she gets about half of what he gets, that's even worse.
The struggle of high rank.

I thought if someone left your team is was 1/15 XP, we were underdogs someone dropped from our team and I went down just over half a rank

I'm done with this shit

Son Of D

So with Zarya is it better to use her primary fire more or should I use her secondary for the most part and only use her primary when higher charged or they're closer to me?

Chance

Mercy is near useless when on an oblivious team. She needs so much protection or at least a good Pharah to follow around. There's a reason Lucio has a much better win record than Mercy.

Mercy survival tips.

1 - you need positional line-of-sight on an ally to heal/buff them, not visual. You can be scoping the rear or flanks while healing Rein or buffing a DPS.

2 - if a threat appears, don't assume your team sees it and most crucially don't assume they will save you. Pull your pistol. Now several options appear:
-you kill them (yes, it happens - don't forget to lead your shots and aim for the head).
-a teammate may clock where you're shooting and come in for the assist.
-walk backwards while shooting into your team so they'll notice, and hopefully help - switch to dmg buff
-combine the pistol with Guardian Angel to fly to a teammate rejoining the fight from behind, then buff them as they take out the trash.

3 - Guardian Angel is as much, if not more, for your protection than your team's. Use it to zip around the battlefield, never staying in one spot for too long when possible/unless you're doing a big push.

When you're Mercy, your team are both the tools you require to make the most out of your moveset (specifically Guardian Angel) and your greatest liability. You have insane mobility with them around, and almost zero survivability without 'em.

As a further tip, a bold Mercy play can work out very well when it's unexpected.

No one will expect you to do a little tank dancing off a Reinhardt's charge (fly in, link up healing at 15 yards, do a 180 turn before you land, immediately fly back to your team, healing on the way until distance breaks the connection - this will heal for about a large health pack's worth). The enemy team will focus fire your Rein while your team focus fires them.

Of course, this requires teammates behind you to return to. Nothin' sinks my spirits like a tank dance that ends with me stuck behind enemy lines because our DPS scattered.

Good luck!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I don't know if that's even worse when
shayed isn't a very good mercy

Kurita

1st ranked match of the day
-> Get destroyed, couldn't even get the first point on King's Row

2nd match
-> I'm facing one of the guys who was on my team. He says "hope you'll be as terrible this time, it'll be easy"
-> Proceed to stomp his team

Feels good man

LiK

1st ranked match of the day
-> Get destroyed, couldn't even get the first point on King's Row

2nd match
-> I'm facing one of the guys who was on my team. He says "hope you'll be as terrible this time, it'll be easy"
-> Proceed to stomp his team

Feels good man

Lol

Rad-

He got ranks super fast today when he only streamed with Shayed. Duo seems to be the best spot to gain ranks. He gained 2 ranks with 2 wins at the start of the stream.

If the team with one less player wins, do they also gain less in rank?

Yes which is really really dumb.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
HITBOXES

20 TICK

I am such a game design expert, guys. Look at me use these words.

LiK

"Be careful who you call ugly in high school"

Some guy was blaming me in voice chat for our team sucking. I didn't have a mic so he just kept saying stuff. When the game ended, I was the only guy in the top 4 and I had a shitload of kills as Pharah.

That was funny.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you can turn off voice chat completely, you should be able to turn off text chat completely as well.

Because if Blizzard is going to let you plug your ears and hurt the team, they might as well let you close your eyes and hurt the team as well.

Some guy was blaming me in voice chat for our team sucking. I didn't have a mic so he just kept saying stuff. When the game ended, I was the only guy in the top 4 and I had a shitload of kills as Pharah.

That was funny.

was he a hanzo or genji

Yeef

Unfortunately I've had trouble convincing even my friends to watch my back as Mercy, I get that it's not as easy as it sounds to keep an eye on your healer especially with a mob of enemies incoming from the front but sometimes the tunnel vision people seem to have while say a Winston is messing you up for a good 10 seconds is enough to make me salt the very earth.
If there's one thing that Blizzard nailed in this game, it's the sound design. If Mercy takes even one hit, she calls out to teammates automatically. If your teammates are too oblivious to even notice that, then they're awful people!

I have people just ignore me as Mercy all the time. If I have to I'll pull out my pistol, but don't whine to me you need healing when I'm stuck waiting to respawn because you ran past me and whoever was killing me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dude picks Hanzo and has a star
'I bet this dude plays Hanzo more than any other hero by 50%'

42 hours played as Hanzo
I was right

If there's one thing that Blizzard nailed in this game, it's the sound design. If Mercy takes even one hit, she calls out to teammates automatically. If your teammates are too oblivious to even notice that, then they're awful people!

i turn all sound off. RIP

Many people don't even respond to a 'Behind you!' when it's their own bacon on the line.

BigDug13

Mercy survival tips.

1 - you need positional line-of-sight on an ally to heal/buff them, not visual. You can be scoping the rear or flanks while healing Rein or buffing a DPS.

2 - if a threat appears, don't assume your team sees it and most crucially don't assume they will save you. Pull your pistol. Now several options appear:
-you kill them (yes, it happens - don't forget to lead your shots and aim for the head).
-a teammate may clock where you're shooting and come in for the assist.
-walk backwards while shooting into your team so they'll notice, and hopefully help - switch to dmg buff
-combine the pistol with Guardian Angel to fly to a teammate rejoining the fight from behind, then buff them as they take out the trash.

3 - Guardian Angel is as much, if not more, for your protection than your team's. Use it to zip around the battlefield, never staying in one spot for too long when possible/unless you're doing a big push.

When you're Mercy, your team are both the tools you require to make the most out of your moveset (specifically Guardian Angel) and your greatest liability. You have insane mobility with them around, and almost zero survivability without 'em.

As a further tip, a bold Mercy play can work out very well when it's unexpected.

No one will expect you to do a little tank dancing off a Reinhardt's charge (fly in, link up healing at 15 yards, do a 180 turn before you land, immediately fly back to your team, healing on the way until distance breaks the connection - this will heal for about a large health pack's worth). The enemy team will focus fire your Rein while your team focus fires them.

Of course, this requires teammates behind you to return to. Nothin' sinks my spirits like a tank dance that ends with me stuck behind enemy lines because our DPS scattered.

Good luck!

That's my issue. I find myself getting destroyed with nobody within LOS away from danger to guardian angel to and the guys within range remain oblivious or simply don't care. Even the Hanzo has scaled a wall and made sure to place himself far enough away from the ledge to break LOS. She's too reliant on others for my tastes as I continually feel like I'm left hanging by my team. Battle Mercy might catch someone off guard for a second, but that Winston shocking my ass every chance he gets doesn't care much about my pistol that is difficult to get head shots with on console controls.

Isn't Mercy's winrate one of the worst in the game even though she's one of the most popular characters?

Chance

That's my issue. I find myself getting destroyed with nobody within LOS away from danger to guardian angel to and the guys within range remain oblivious or simply don't care. Even the Hanzo has scaled a wall and made sure to place himself far enough away from the ledge to break LOS. She's too reliant on others for my tastes as I continually feel like I'm left hanging by my team. Battle Mercy might catch someone off guard for a second, but that Winston shocking my ass every chance he gets doesn't care much about my pistol that is difficult to get head shots with on console controls.

Isn't Mercy's winrate one of the worst in the game even though she's one of the most popular characters?

There are absolutely games where I can't work my Mercy magic because of my team's comp or - more often - behavior. That happens - so I switch to Lucio or Pharah or Zarya or whatever I think may turn the tide - but when a team is really workin' it and you're constantly, 100% of the time healing, buffing, shooting and catchin' on fire, Mercy can make a huge difference. She'll never carry a bad team - or even be of much use to one - but she can make a good one great, and a great one unstoppable.

xaosslug

"Be careful who you call ugly in high school"

was on a team today, we were attacking Anubis and I played Torb... a guy goes 'Torb on attack? WTF? Really?' on voice chat, we take checkpoint A because of my turret then he goes 'OK, wow. Torb on attack!' I switch to Pharah on checkpoint B, we take it, and I get play of the game (as Pharah xD)

felt good, man.

Ranked placement started off scary. We lost badly on Gibraltar with two awful offensive snipers that would never switch. The next nine games were infinitely better. Several extremely close matches. Ended at 8-2, ranked 63.

Now, I'm just intimidated by my placement. I've watched seagull a few times and it's not too uncommon for a high 50s to be placed on his team. Rank 63 is the top 3% according to one of those Overwatch ranking sites. I'm not bad at Overwatch, but I think it's highly unlikely I'm 90th percentile + material. I'm not good enough to go against pro teams.

I think I'll just wait for a week or two more before I start playing ranked again. That will hopefully be time for the pros to climb higher and the poorer players to drop farther, which will give me better matches more often, I'm thinking.

wut

This game has some of the most crucial sound queues I've seen of any MP game.

Turn back on! :(

i'm kidding. i have the in-game cues up because i need to hear where those rip tires are coming from. i actually sometimes stand there and listen to sounds to see where people are at

But i haven't adjusted the sounds yet to balance everything. also anyone turned off the in-game music? it's so awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom