• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 2-8 in placement matches and ended with a 46 ranking, am now 57 so don't let the placement matches dissuade you. Quickplay is not really a decent alternative to comp right now anyway.
I'll stick with it if that's where they're at. I used to be awful at Quickplay as well, just need more time for better opponents to make me better.

Kalentan

I really don't like it how if someone leaves your team in ranked, you can leave after a minute, but are still given a loss and most likely a rank down. It's such bullshit. Like give me a loss and give me no exp, but don't knock my rank level down.

I really don't like it how if someone leaves your team in ranked, you can leave after a minute, but are still given a loss and most likely a rank down. It's such bullshit. Like give me a loss and give me no exp, but don't knock my rank level down.

People would abuse that though, to an extent. I see why it's done, but boy does it suck.

Speaking of DC's, I was 47 MMR on Monday. I'm 43 now.

People DC'ing after a poor first round is no bueno.

xaosslug

I always get a kick out of cancelling people's ults with Roadhog and Ana.

Rocket Barrage from the skies? Sleep dart.

Reaper's ballerina dance? Hook and shoot.

Hanzo's dragon? Darted or hooked before it even shows.

Genji? Watch as he runs around and exposes his back like a moron, boom, dead.

The list goes on. :D

YES. It was amazing and totally by accident. I heard him do the call out and was looking out for it and everyone was like 'your DM at it' muhahahaha! ;)

Everyone is OP, the whole roster needs to be nerfed.

that's what I'm getting... peeps are taking Zen's 'Adversity is an opportunity for change.' line to heart it seems! >_>

finalflame

Been dancing between 56 and 57 between yesterday and today. Guess this is where my "skill" is currently; time to git gud so I can hit 60.

Zemm

Oh wow.

So what makes him so popular? Playsyle and personality?

He's really good and seems like a nice and relaxed guy when he streams. Such a difference to other people like Steel who rage and get salty, when Seagull streams he does it for a laugh so it's just good viewing. He was also the first to stream high level play when the game released so people watched him and stayed with him. He deserves his viewers tbh.

He's really good and seems like a nice and relaxed guy when he streams. Such a difference to other people like Steel who rage and get salty, when Seagull streams he does it for a laugh so it's just good viewing. He was also the first to stream high level play when the game released so people watched him and stayed with him. He deserves his viewers tbh.
Oh I agree. Just wondering. Thanks!

Apathy

Yeah hes good and hes relaxed and fun and interacts with chat so he definitely deserves his viewers but sometimes people make him out to be a god player, and there are many others better than he is and he'd be the first to admit it.

Similar to him is surefour from cloud9, hes very much like seagull in terms of answering questions and overall nice person to listen to and very good at the game as well.

Kalentan

Won against a team that had a higher average, we drew it out to the coin toss. We won a stupidly hard game. Got 1/20 a bar from 59 to 60... What...

Borden

Neo Member
It seems like there's a few characters that are really getting left behind. To varying degrees but they are all weaker choices. For the most part the better selections are Tracer, McCree, Reaper, Rein, Lucio. Pretty much every team should consist of those 5. The 6th spot all depends but DVa, Pharah, Genji are probably the next best options.
Of course bad players are going to be bad regardless but as the player base gets better this combo seems to be, very clearly, the best.

Anyone else seeing it the same way?

Azzanadra

Hey guys, just need advice for a problem I am having with my keyboard. To preface, its a problem I have with like all PC games but I especially noticed it in Overwatch as I tend to use controllers for PC games, but for this one you practically need a mouse + keyboard.

The problem is, and I hope I am articulating this right, that I can't seem to do something (as in press a key) without interruption my previous action or movement. This probably doesn't make any sense, so I will explain with an example:

Say I am playing Solder 76 and I hold SHIFT to sprint, say I press the space bar to jump. My movement will have been interrupted an I just stop in place after hitting the spacebar, whereas with a gamepad one could sprint, jump and expect to resume movement as long as the button is still held. Another example is with simple movement, say with any other character I have to hold W to move up, again, if I hit spacebar to jump, my movement stops and I have to press W again to start moving again. I can't just say, move forward, jump and expect to continue moving (my finger is still on W, please note) until I re-press W.

Another example just for the lulz: Say I am playing Roadhog and my finger is on the W to move up. I use the hook move while my finger is still on W, yet after pressing SHIFT, Roadhog stops moving and I have to press W again to move again, whereas one would assume I would continue moving even after the hook has been used as my finger is still on the W.

One thing I have noticed is that If I continue to hold down the "interruption" button, the movement works just fine. What do you I mean by this? Say I am moving up with W with any character, if I press spacebar to jump and hold both spacebar and the W, I will continue to move fine, but obviously this is far from an ideal solution. (as once I release the spacebar, I just stop moving)

Anyways, I hope this made sense. Not that this problem is not exclusive to Overwatch but its the game that pushed me to the point of actually wanting solve it.

So any of y'all can provide a solution? I would much appreciate.

So what were people saying about the game having you at a constant 50% win/loss?

Because I'm sitting at 650 wins out of 1600 games. This has happened recently too because I was part of that 50% club for the longest time. It seems my norm is 1-2 wins to 8-9 losses nowadays, and I would say at least 50-60% of my losses are total steamrolls. I'm guessing the *really* bad players stopped playing the game and now I am the *really* bad player?

So what were people saying about the game having you at a constant 50% win/loss?

Because I'm sitting at 650 wins out of 1600 games. This has happened recently too because I was part of that 50% club for the longest time. It seems my norm is 1-2 wins to 8-9 losses nowadays, and I would say at least 50-60% of my losses are total steamrolls. I'm guessing the *really* bad players stopped playing the game and now I am the *really* bad player?

You have become the bad Hanzo.

Apathy

It seems like there's a few characters that are really getting left behind. To varying degrees but they are all weaker choices. For the most part the better selections are Tracer, McCree, Reaper, Rein, Lucio. Pretty much every team should consist of those 5. The 6th spot all depends but DVa, Pharah, Genji are probably the next best options.
Of course bad players are going to be bad regardless but as the player base gets better this combo seems to be, very clearly, the best.

Anyone else seeing it the same way?

healers: lucio, zen
tanks: Rein (d.va), zarya (winston)
dps: McCree (tracer), Reaper (genji).

The ones in the brackets are the ones that get substituted. Thats what the optimal is right now. Every once in a while you'll get a junk on D on certain maps

Nimby

Banned
Anyone else getting frequently disconnected on PS4? Me and a bud have gotten disconnected from 3 games in 20 minutes. Lost rank because of it too.

Make that 4 of 5 games I got disconnected from. Thanks Blizzy

Hey guys, just need advice for a problem I am having with my keyboard. To preface, its a problem I have with like all PC games but I especially noticed it in Overwatch as I tend to use controllers for PC games, but for this one you practically need a mouse + keyboard.

The problem is, and I hope I am articulating this right, that I can't seem to do something (as in press a key) without interruption my previous action or movement. This probably doesn't make any sense, so I will explain with an example:

Say I am playing Solder 76 and I hold SHIFT to sprint, say I press the space bar to jump. My movement will have been interrupted an I just stop in place after hitting the spacebar, whereas with a gamepad one could sprint, jump and expect to resume movement as long as the button is still held. Another example is with simple movement, say with any other character I have to hold W to move up, again, if I hit spacebar to jump, my movement stops and I have to press W again to start moving again. I can't just say, move forward, jump and expect to continue moving (my finger is still on W, please note) until I re-press W.

Another example just for the lulz: Say I am playing Roadhog and my finger is on the W to move up. I use the hook move while my finger is still on W, yet after pressing SHIFT, Roadhog stops moving and I have to press W again to move again, whereas one would assume I would continue moving even after the hook has been used as my finger is still on the W.

One thing I have noticed is that If I continue to hold down the "interruption" button, the movement works just fine. What do you I mean by this? Say I am moving up with W with any character, if I press spacebar to jump and hold both spacebar and the W, I will continue to move fine, but obviously this is far from an ideal solution. (as once I release the spacebar, I just stop moving)

Anyways, I hope this made sense. Not that this problem is not exclusive to Overwatch but its the game that pushed me to the point of actually wanting solve it.

So any of y'all can provide a solution? I would much appreciate.

Sounds like either a keyboard or windows keyboard setting issue. Can't really help on the specifics. Someone might be more familiar with this since I never had this issue with my ancient old keyboard lol.

I'm going to play a few hours of competitive on PS4 in 2 and ½ hour. Add nevernuder on PSN if you feel like grouping up (or just play some other time, I'm active alot). Level 62 so I prefer if you atleast have a microphone and a voice that has been through puberty. :)

Azzanadra

Sounds like either a keyboard or windows keyboard setting issue. Can't really help on the specifics. Someone might be more familiar with this since I never had this issue with my ancient old keyboard lol.

Yeah its not just a problem with games but everything. never really noticed it before, but in wordpad I held W and then pressed spacebar with my finger sill on W... the space was made but despite my finger still being on the W, no more W's would print. It looks like this (without quotation marks):

"wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww "

Salarians

106% kill participation
tumblr_o7eozm3MWa1uedkeno3_1280.gif

the other team wasn't that good if i managed to get an 18 kill streak with d.va.

went tracer then random bastion killed me. went widow then widow killed me. then switched to d.va.

attack on hollywood.

Blues1990

Does ana's young skin have a different VA?

Similar to Soldier 76's, Hanzo, & Genji's Legendary skin, Ana still has the same voice actor/actress. In the case for Genji, I was hoping for a non-robotic filter over his dialogue when it comes to his Young Genji skin.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
lol. spent over 2 minutes jumping around on the payload with lucio. pretty sure i had like 3 ults during that time

Are you on console? Lucio is amazing for those clutch holds. Even if you don't win it's easy to feel yourself when you finally die after 2-3 long minutes and the payload inches across the finish line while you're still respawning. If you manage to defend til the end, the sense of satisfaction is something else!

Heel

lol. spent over 2 minutes jumping around on the payload with lucio. pretty sure i had like 3 ults during that time

Are you on console? Lucio is amazing for those clutch holds. Even if you don't win it's easy to feel yourself when you finally die after 2-3 long minutes and the payload inches across the finish line while you're still respawning. If you manage to defend til the end, the sense of satisfaction is something else!

Stupid aspect of the game, and I say that as a Lucio player. Going to be a lot dumber when they implement a stop clock system in Competitive.

Yeah its not just a problem with games but everything. never really noticed it before, but in wordpad I held W and then pressed spacebar with my finger sill on W... the space was made but despite my finger still being on the W, no more W's would print. It looks like this (without quotation marks):

"wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww "

My keyboard does the same thing in wordpad, but works fine in game. It sounds like Windows only accepts one key stroke at a time for some reason? IIRC the normal limit is, like, 4 before it does an annoyed beep.

Maybe check your keyboard settings in Windows and tinker around with it, or swap out the keyboard if you can. Would be good to hammer down if it's the hardware or software side of things.

Heel

I mean that's kind of the thing, a good Lucio is ridiculously hard to hit on console. Especially when he's bouncing around on the payload.

Right. Same goes for that pole on Nepal, etc.

Don't really qualify playing a character specifically for clock stalling as anything more than cheesy and a detriment to deciding the best team, especially when it's going to be implemented in Competitive. I can see how it's going to go, and it won't be fun.

Borden

Neo Member
healers: lucio, zen
tanks: Rein (d.va), zarya (winston)
dps: McCree (tracer), Reaper (genji).

The ones in the brackets are the ones that get substituted. Thats what the optimal is right now. Every once in a while you'll get a junk on D on certain maps
Yeah. Just kind of sucks that the game has been boiled down to maybe half of the roster.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's how it was in the previous meta though? Most teams ran lucio + mercy, reinhardt + other tanks not DVa, then Pharah + soldier or reaper.

Sometimes this is the opposite of what you wanna do though. Lots of people make this mistake ;w;

Hmm, why not?

ramyeon

That's how it was in the previous meta though? Most teams ran lucio + mercy, reinhardt + other tanks not DVa, then Pharah + soldier or reaper.

Hmm, why not?
I don't think anyone mentioned anything about Lucios jumping around on the payload being a new thing (Although I will say that I have seen it way more on console recently).

Anne

Hmm, why not?

If you don't have a way to pick or murder the support instantly, a tank should come to save them. If that happens then the damage you did on the support probably didn't matter because they'll be able to hide away, and now you're deep in a team with a tank on you.

Unless you have some way to make sure the support is dead and the 2nd support won't swing the fight, you should focus down the tanks first. It's like in LoL where it's a joke to say "focus the squishies" because low level players think that at first. In reality the tanky ass frontline will just come and blow your back out for being out of position.

Edit: Just to be clear, the logic is the tanks will be easiest to shoot and in front so you pile on damage until they're dead or can't tank, then you go in because the DPS/Support shouldn't be able to survive a frontline slamming into them.

Antiwhippy

If you don't have a way to pick or murder the support instantly, a tank should come to save them. If that happens then the damage you did on the support probably didn't matter because they'll be able to hide away, and now you're deep in a team with a tank on you.

Unless you have some way to make sure the support is dead and the 2nd support won't swing the fight, you should focus down the tanks first. It's like in LoL where it's a joke to say "focus the squishies" because low level players think that at first. In reality the tanky ass frontline will just come and blow your back out for being out of position.

Edit: Just to be clear, the logic is the tanks will be easiest to shoot and in front so you pile on damage until they're dead or can't tank, then you go in because the DPS/Support shouldn't be able to survive a frontline slamming into them.

Hmm, I mostly thinking in the harassing/flanking sense seeing that I've been playing quite a bit of reaper lately, though with reaper I also go after the tanks too. :p

Anne

Hmm, I mostly thinking in the harassing/flanking sense seeing that I've been playing quite a bit of reaper lately, though with reaper I also go after the tanks too. :p

I'm just gonna grab a random match video of a good team vs a bad team that's recent to demonstrate a couple things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAJskLF1gw

Notice when LG is on offense even the Genji is sitting there trying to pump stuff into the Rein shield, and every time Rein loses his shield the fight is basically over. Rein shield breaks, he dies, LG goes in, that's the game. In their first set up they did have their support die first out of poke. That's the pick, if the support is out of position (like Dummy was) then you just pick him and the other team can't fight. Sodipop fucked up a lot in that they were so passive LG basically just got to choose when and how they engaged, so they engaged around the Rein eventually having to fall.

When LG is on defense, this is another thing I talked about before. After the first checkpoint, Genji and McCree are fucking about on a flank. LG sees this and just dives 6v4 and murders everything. Flanking that is the kind of mistake that keeps Sodipop out of being a high tier team, that's rookie type shit.

Then when the last fight happens LG focuses the supports first mainly because they had Genji and Soldier ults up in a good position. The Rein/Zarya were a bit forward looking for a fight (they had to look for one cause stopwatch), and LG just popped ults and flew into the backline. That's when you want to jump on backline, when you know you can kill people and the tanks can't stop and turn the fight well enough to stop you.

So yeah, if you are Reaper and there's a free support kill there take it, just know eventually people should call you out for attempting that.

It's impossible to get an all inclusive meta, especially for pro play. It will never be that all 22 characters are being played at an equal rate. The balance now isn't so bad. At least there's not a team of 6 that MUST be played each game.

Hanzo is awful. still gets played a ton. You wanna buff him so he's a legitimate pick in tournaments? Yikes. Mei is the same way. Along with Bastion.

Antiwhippy

I'm just gonna grab a random match video of a good team vs a bad team that's recent to demonstrate a couple things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAJskLF1gw

Notice when LG is on offense even the Genji is sitting there trying to pump stuff into the Rein shield, and every time Rein loses his shield the fight is basically over. Rein shield breaks, he dies, LG goes in, that's the game. In their first set up they did have their support die first out of poke. That's the pick, if the support is out of position (like Dummy was) then you just pick him and the other team can't fight. Sodipop fucked up a lot in that they were so passive LG basically just got to choose when and how they engaged, so they engaged around the Rein eventually having to fall.

When LG is on defense, this is another thing I talked about before. After the first checkpoint, Genji and McCree are fucking about on a flank. LG sees this and just dives 6v4 and murders everything. Flanking that is the kind of mistake that keeps Sodipop out of being a high tier team, that's rookie type shit.

Then when the last fight happens LG focuses the supports first mainly because they had Genji and Soldier ults up in a good position. The Rein/Zarya were a bit forward looking for a fight (they had to look for one cause stopwatch), and LG just popped ults and flew into the backline. That's when you want to jump on backline, when you know you can kill people and the tanks can't stop and turn the fight well enough to stop you.

So yeah, if you are Reaper and there's a free support kill there take it, just know eventually people should call you out for attempting that.

I think we're talking about 2 vastly different levels of play here. :p Though yeah, popping rein's shield is important too. I think the context of lucio hopping about on the payload for 2 mins though is that no one is going after the healer as a priority pick, or that people are really bad at aiming.

Also different situation when it come to KotH, which is the mode I've been mostly playing reaper on. I'll chase after the winston, but I always make sure the healer is dead also.

Anne

I think we're talking about 2 vastly different levels of play here. :p Though yeah, popping rein's shield is important too. I think the context of lucio hopping about on the payload for 2 mins though is that no one is going after the healer as a priority pick, or that people are really bad at aiming.

Also different situation when it come to KotH, which is the mode I've been mostly playing. Though yeah, I'll chase after the winston, but I always make sure the healer is dead also.

Well yeah, if Lucio gets to hop on the cart for 2 minutes then somebody is just bad at shooting. I just wanna get my piece out there about focusing tanks over healers, hope people read it and learn something.

edit: also the idea of "vastly different levels of play" is right, but I like to think eventually this type of structure will at least be common in mid levels :p

finalflame

I really don't know how to manage anger with this game. I get so fucking tilted when my team gets completely obliterated and we can't push at all against the enemy team, or get steamrolled. Like I am legit fuming and had to quit the game after the match.

Fucking stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom