• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, people often vote for the support players and rightly so, because that might encourage more people to play support. I generally tend to vote for the support player if they get a card out of respect for them playing support, especially being mostly a Tank/Support player myself.
Not a lot of people play support, and very often nobody else would play support but them; so even if that Lucio didn't do very well, at the very least he deserves recognition for playing support in the first place.

Also, my experience is entirely reversed. If a player gets a card and the PotG, they usually get almost all of the votes, and very often will the players with the most eliminations get votes instead of the players with the most objective time, gold medals or whatever; at least in my case.
I've had a game where I healed like 15k as Lucio, and 7 of the votes went to the Widowmaker with 30% scope accuracy. Like what the fuck.

Nobody votes for the tanks though. If I see a tank on the card selection, I forego my usual choice of the support.

I mean I usually vote for support too so I'm not condemning it or anything but I've noticed that even when the support is bad or wasn't vital that they still get the votes. Not a big deal. Just an observation. I get the encouragement sentiment, but I'm not going to support poor decision making/play.

Dead at 30% Widowmaker scoped accuracy though. What.

Ramirez

So I just got an inch again in the rank up screen. Their entire team quit, and one was top 500...I'm convinced there is still some bugs when people quit. One person quit the last time this happened as well.

So I just got an inch again in the rank up screen. Their entire team quit, and one was top 500...I'm convinced there is still some bugs when people quit. One person quit the last time this happened as well.

Yeah, it's weird. I'm pretty sure it still happens occasionally. I've had some inexplicable marginal rank gains after people quit.

Most of the time it probably isn't but there are a couple of wtf instances that need to be looked at. Like being able to hook an enemy when you can't even see them which has happened to me.
If it doesn't happen most of the time, then I don't see how its OP if it doesn't happen often.

I'm sorry but if it is something he can do then it's OP even if it doesn't happen all the time.
It's not like it's something that makes him an insta pick, which means it's not OP. OP would mean that it's an insta win button but it's not. Hook nerf=Roadhog worthless.

ISOM

People have some weird definitions of OP. Either way I think his hook can be nerfed without completely ruining him like some are suggesting.

KarmaCow

It's not like it's something that makes him an insta pick, which means it's not OP. OP would mean that it's an insta win button but it's not. Hook nerf=Roadhog worthless.

Yea the hook is only thing he has going for him, he's a huge liability otherwise. If you fuck up the hook, even if you don't die you're most likely feeding the enemy team a ton of ult charge as they try to go through 600 to 900ish health.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
People have some weird definitions of OP. Either way I think his hook can be nerfed without completely ruining him like some are suggesting.

Just curious, but how much have you played Roadhog?

His entire kit revolves around his hook.

It really can't. His hook is the reason people pick him. Nerf that, and why should you use Roadhog over other tanks? His hook is fine. There's nothing wrong with a character having a little BS. Hanzos Scatter Arrow can be BS, but is that OP?

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, I'd really just like his Hook+Gun+Melee combo to be nerfed a bit. A slight delay before he is able to melee after shooting. It kills characters that would otherwise be able to survive him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, I'd really just like his Hook+Gun+Melee combo to be nerfed a bit. A slight delay before he is able to melee after shooting. It kills characters that would otherwise be able to survive him.

That's the point though.

He should be able to kill them.

Veelk

Banned
How could they possibly nerf that? Nerf hook=dead Roadhog. Nerf shotgun=weak Roadhog. Nerf melee=???

A slight delay before being able to melee doesn't seem like it'd break him. It just lets the character have a chance at getting out of melee range.

That's the point though.

He should be able to kill them.

I mean....I guess I can't say they're cheating or anything. Something about dying to hooked+gunned+meleed annoys me in a way that dying to hooked+gunned does not. I feel that with the former, I should atleast have a chance to get away from the melee.

Edit: I looked up some info.

His gun shoots out a potential 225 damage per shot.

His Hook does 30 damage by itself.

And a Melee does another 30.

That's a shitton of damage for something that's wonky in it's hitboxes. A way to escape the last bit of 30 damage doesn't seem like an absurd thing to ask for.

So he should have a slight delay, but every other character doesn't? Yeah, uhuh, no. It's fine and I'm sure it was 100% intentional for him to be made that way.

It would be insanely jarring coming from another character and having a melee delay on Roadhog.

Antiwhippy

I mean the whole point of roadhog is to be able to make strategic picks. if he can't reliably kill 200hp characters than what's the point?

I'm guessing Mei-> Ice Block, Reaper -> Wraith Form, and Pharah ->Boost? Honestly he should be killing them.
Reaper takes a perfect headshot to kill before he wraiths away. If Mei has ice block she always is able to use it before dying in my experience. And if you manage to hook Pharah from the sky, bitch should be dead.

Veelk

Banned
Wat? Who is he killing that he shouldn't be?

I can only give you anecdotal experiences, but I always feel that I have a decent chance of surviving the Hook-gun combo, but I usually die if he melees as well. I just see it often on the kill cam. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't play much of Roadhog, but I always feel he's putting out way more damage if he melees.

I think it's because of the spread of his gun. For full damage, all 25 pellets have to hit, and maybe they don't always all hit depending on the character, so despite doing a potential 225 damage, it sometimes does less, allowing the hero to survive but if he melees as well, then you're f'ed.

I'm guessing Mei-> Ice Block, Reaper -> Wraith Form, and Pharah ->Boost? Honestly he should be killing them.
I've been able to one shot Pharah without the melee, so she shouldn't really count. Plus, the only way to one shot Mei and Reaper, you have to walk a little closer after the hook, then shoot+melee, which gives them plenty of time to escape. It's a 50/50 chance whether he kills them or not.

Papercuts

He would be total trash if he couldn't do that.

His hook combo kills the squishier DPS people and supports, which are what he's trying to get at the start of the fight. Once his hook is on CD his gun is pretty unweildly and has a massive reload time, he has one of if not the biggest hitbox in the game with no armor and pure HP which feeds the enemy team ult charge, and has one of the more situational ults in the game outside of that. On paper he doesn't even look good, because the hook brings it all together. Even then, he's shutdown by Zen, Zarya, Reaper, and missing hooks on squirrely targets like Tracer and Genji is really bad. Plus shield skills block the hook and Reinhardt is almost always present which makes it harder to even get the picks he's trying to go for.

I primarily play Tank lately and I feel like Roadhog is in a really good spot balancewise compared to the rest of them. Dva is probably doing the grossest stuff with a skill that eats almost every ult in the game that is basically never on cooldown.

LiK

Roadhog is def one of my main adversaries when playing as Junkrat. he's hard to kill with all that HP. and his damn Ult can push away my Rip Tire.

Antiwhippy

He would be total trash if he couldn't do that.

His hook combo kills the squishier DPS people and supports, which are what he's trying to get at the start of the fight. Once his hook is on CD his gun is pretty unweildly and has a massive reload time, he has one of if not the biggest hitbox in the game with no armor and pure HP which feeds the enemy team ult charge, and has one of the more situational ults in the game outside of that. On paper he doesn't even look good, because the hook brings it all together. Even then, he's shutdown by Zen, Zarya, Reaper, and missing hooks on squirrely targets like Tracer and Genji is really bad. Plus shield skills block the hook and Reinhardt is almost always present which makes it harder to even get the picks he's trying to go for.

I primarily play Tank lately and I feel like Roadhog is in a really good spot balancewise compared to the rest of them. Dva is probably doing the grossest stuff with a skill that eats almost every ult in the game that is basically never on cooldown.

Hmm, if anything Dva is in line with zarya, rein and winston according to the latest tier usage list with roadhog being on the decline.

Prelude.

Roadhog isn't OP at all. Any nerf would just make him completely useless.

Roadhog is def one of my main adversaries when playing as Junkrat. he's hard to kill with all that HP. and his damn Ult can push away my Rip Tire.
If I see a riptire I just hook and destroy it, no reason to waste the ult for that. It's probably one of the most satisfying ult denial in the game.

Papercuts

Hmm, if anything Dva is in line with zarya, rein and winston according to the latest tier usage list with roadhog being on the decline.

I'm not really saying Dva is OP or anything but it's more that a lot of characters in this game can do some really gross stuff. I just find it weird to focus on roadhog compared to what other tanks can do with a button press.

Yeesh I'm in free fall again. And it's completely my fault. I'm playing like crap.

Roadhog is my 'let's get down to business pick' and I'm completely neutralized if the other team has a good Zen.

Antiwhippy

I'm not really saying Dva is OP or anything but it's more that a lot of characters in this game can do some really gross stuff. I just find it weird to focus on roadhog compared to what other tanks can do with a button press.

The thing is roadhog was the ultimate ult shutdowner before DVa got on the scene. Also there is a cooldown. You're not going to have enough DM to block a lot of the ults in this game if you keep using it.

Roadhog can still shutdown ults that DVa can't.

If ana is used more we're going to see a lot more ult shutdowns.

ISOM

My friends insist on playing competitive and we just aren't that good. 1-7 in placement matches. Eesh

I was 2-8 in placement matches and ended with a 46 ranking, am now 57 so don't let the placement matches dissuade you. Quickplay is not really a decent alternative to comp right now anyway.

Did LG remove one of their healers again? They truly are the NiP of Overwatch.

Ninjas in pajamas?
I googled this acronym and that is what popped up. It's also one of the reasons why I absolutely loathe acronyms without context unless it's something truly common like "lol". :p

Zemm

Ninjas in pajamas?
I googled this acronym and that is what popped up. It's also one of the reasons why I absolutely loathe acronyms without context unless it's something truly common like "lol". :p

yeah sorry, Ninjas in Pajamas, a CS team that aren't on the top tier level (envy, C9) and keeps rotating one spot on the team to try and get there.

xaosslug

that feel when you inadvertently swallow Hanzo's dragon (I was surprised, too!) and then for the rest of the match he's chasing you around TRYING to kill you. xD

Nudull

Banned
that feel when you inadvertently swallow Hanzo's dragon (I was surprised, too!) and then for the rest of the match he's chasing you around TRYING to kill you. xD

I always get a kick out of cancelling people's ults with Roadhog and Ana.

Rocket Barrage from the skies? Sleep dart.

Reaper's ballerina dance? Hook and shoot.

Hanzo's dragon? Darted or hooked before it even shows.

Genji? Watch as he runs around and exposes his back like a moron, boom, dead.

The list goes on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom