• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azoor

How do you guys deal with a good genji that rides your ass as Lucio?

My normal game plan is use his knock back when he dashes in, turn on speed boost and run/jump like hell to my teammates. Also every time I hear him ult I feel obligated to use sound barrier or he'll wipe my team. Is there anything else I can realistically do?

Play a McCree, he is the anti-flanker.

RemiLP

Not sure about that in solo q. I've literally only solo'd. Was placed 53, went down to 46, climbed back to 53, then up to 59, one game away from 60. All of a sudden I keep getting this same guy who plays attack sym, or people who refuse to play support. Not to mention coin flips

Back to 55 for now after going 4-11 last night, I'm basically waiting for luck to boost me back up. Pretty annoying when I'm performing most games.

Yeah i get what your saying. The system isn't perfect. But i also dont think its as bad as most people make it out to be.

Almost same story happend to me. Got placed at 48, then free falled down to 41. And now i managed to crawl up to 50. But i know i got placed too high. I only played 1 character, so i fell quickly in rank. Then i learned to play more characters and switching when needed, and i managed to rank up again.

Now im staying between 48 and 51. So yeah, if im unlucky and go on a losing spree, i level down, if i go on a winning spree with good teams i level up. But i wont fall down much below that, because then i notice the skill level starts to drop, and i will win more games. And i wont be able to go much higher than lvl 50, cos the skill level is too high for me now.

So imo it works resonably well, if you look at it as a whole and not just session by session.

When the other team is mostly Tanks
(Specifically Roadhog, Dva and Rein):
👌👌👌👌

Managed to pull out 7 Dragon Blades.

Swig_

Not sure about that in solo q. I've literally only solo'd. Was placed 53, went down to 46, climbed back to 53, then up to 59, one game away from 60. All of a sudden I keep getting this same guy who plays attack sym, or people who refuse to play support. Not to mention coin flips

Back to 55 for now after going 4-11 last night, I'm basically waiting for luck to boost me back up. Pretty annoying when I'm performing most games.

I play Dota2 as well. I basically have given up on ranked play. No matter how well I play, or what I do, I always get bad teammates that bring me down. They just had a mode for the yearly tournament that lets you basically recalibrate. After winning 5 games in a row in unranked, I decided to give it a shot. Bad teammates the first game and someone who was trolling and threw the game intentionally in the second. I'm done.

It's not worth the stress. The only time I'll play ranked Overwatch is if they release something that I care about that is realistically achievable. And even then, I'm not sure. I don't care for the golden guns they have now, so I have no reason to play. It's so much more fun and less stressful not having to worry about your score getting tanked by things that are out of your control. I literally don't even look at my win/loss ratio for normal games. I just play and have fun and Overwatch has quickly turned into my go to game for when I want to just have a blast with little stress.

Davidion

The only way to improve the current brawl is to make it all Roadhog, no heal, no gun, hooks and melee only.

Make it happen blizzard.

Ertai

So since when does Hanzo's scattershot oneshot Tracer? Played a match where he oneshotted me 3 times, no damage boost. Just aiming at the floor and killing me, shit's ridiculous

So since when does Hanzo's scattershot oneshot Tracer? Played a match where he oneshotted me 3 times, no damage boost. Just aiming at the floor and killing me, shit's ridiculous
You're playing the weakest character in the game(in terms of health), so I don't see why this is a problem.

Man, I'm conflicted with myself.

I like the changes to DVa because I feel like she is actually a tank now, she has good damage mitigation skills.

But at the same time, I've come to hate playing against DVa because of her damage mitigation skills. It's not like Zarya where you have to choose to just run or shoot through it.

Because of how DVa's shield works, you pretty much just have to sit there and wait. Turnign to run is dangerous because she can just boost to catch you. Firing at someone else in the meantime is dangerous because she'll just start shooting at you, and now you've gotten someone elses attention to go with it.

I just don't feel like there are a lot of good counters to her shield, is all. In fact, I feel like so few characters can circumvent that shield, that I have to play 1 of these characters, just to actually enjoy the game again.

As it is, a lot of my staples are on stand by because DVa makes them pretty feel too weak.

I've pretty much just been playing a bunch of RoadHog just so I can hook her and hope that my team focuses her down.

Ivan 3414

I like the changes to DVa because I feel like she is actually a tank now, she has good damage mitigation skills.

But at the same time, I've come to hate playing against DVa because of her damage mitigation skills. It's not like Zarya where you have to choose to just run or shoot through it.

Because of how DVa's shield works, you pretty much just have to sit there and wait. Turnign to run is dangerous because she can just boost to catch you. Firing at someone else in the meantime is dangerous because she'll just start shooting at you, and now you've gotten someone elses attention to go with it.

I just don't feel like there are a lot of good counters to her shield, is all. In fact, I feel like so few characters can circumvent that shield, that I have to play 1 of these characters, just to actually enjoy the game again.

As it is, a lot of my staples are on stand by because DVa makes them pretty feel too weak.

I've pretty much just been playing a bunch of RoadHog just so I can hook her and hope that my team focuses her down.

That's my problem with D.Va now; in order to realistically take her out you need two or three people to focus on her. Against one hero she can just run or block whatever you're doing. She's simply too powerful right now. And annoying.

Ertai

How long have you been playing this game? Hanzo's scatter shot has always been a one shot for most 200hp heroes if aimed correctly .

I've been playing since launchday, it's just that i noticed it killed me excessively in the past few games.

Most of the arrows usually miss, but Tracer has such low health that it doesn't matter. Just don't let it hit you in the first place. That's what Blink is for.

That's the annoying part, it kills me mid-blink as well

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the point though.

It's meant to kill tracers.

With extreme prejudice.

Because tracers deserve it.

That's my problem with D.Va now; in order to realistically take her out you need two or three people to focus on her. Against one hero she can just run or block whatever you're doing. She's simply too powerful right now. And annoying.

Do you have a problem with having the game being people focusing down on rein's shield before?

Liked honestly from what I've seen all tanks get equal play now with regular rotation other than roadhog, but roadhog's fall was only due to the rise of zen. Tanks are mostly fine.

I've been playing since launchday, it's just that i noticed it killed me excessively in the past few games.

That's the annoying part, it kills me mid-blink as well

Don't get too close and don't attack him head on as Tracer. If you sneak up behind him, you can usually kill him before he even has a chance to turn around.

Ramirez

Zarya and Roadhog make DVa a non factor *on a good team*. McCree also decimates her health from range, so that's an option.

Antiwhippy

As dva I'll honestly take on roadhog. I don't think that matchup is all that favorable for hog at all.

Regarding if dm is broken, if anything i see that zarya is getting a massive rise in popularity because she can dispel discord not only for herself but for others. I was actually surprised that Winston didn't fall due to zen but from what I've seen he's still one of the best options to dive in and take out zen asap.

Really, zenyatta is seriously shaping the meta of the game around him. That's how incredible discord is. Said he was basically the terminator in ptr, turns out way truer than I'd imagine.

Yarbskoo

Every time I try to redeem my Overwatch Authentication Key

uzk6o9C.png

ISOM

Zarya and Roadhog make DVa a non factor *on a good team*. McCree also decimates her health from range, so that's an option.

I find it pretty easy to 1v1 a D.va as Soldier 76. Just lay down your health field, shift right and left while aiming for their head crit since it's so big.

Prelude.

I was at 49.9 just a few days ago and now I'm stuck around 45 again. Fuck.

Unless someone insta-locks a lucio (which usually means they know what they're doing) I pretty much have to always play healer or people start fucking up big time, like dropping the only healer for no reason. And even when I'm the healer they still manage to fuck up a winning game by getting cocky and go off on solo adventures or getting near the enemy spawn in koth.

Eh I wouldn't say that at all for Roadhog tbh. It's really not that difficult to take him out as D.Va. If McCree surprises you from range with no DM up sure, but if he's close he'll be destroyed easily.

Ramirez

Eh I wouldn't say that at all for Roadhog tbh. It's really not that difficult to take him out as D.Va. If McCree surprises you from range with no DM up sure, but if he's close he'll be destroyed easily.

A hook combo usually sends DVa into panic mode in my experience. Just don't waste your shots on DM, wait it out, profit.

Yarbskoo

I'm having trouble connecting for battlenet as well. If you have an account try logging out then logging back in.

I can log out and back in, and the game downloaded and installed fine, but the security question is broke.

I even tried on my phone's browser, same result.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Try Zarya next time you're up against D.Va. Zarya's primary fire shoots through Defense Matrix so use it on her when DM is up and if she decides to fight back pop your shield. With a 50% charge you'll melt D.Va out of her mech in a few seconds.

Antiwhippy

A hook combo usually sends DVa into panic mode in my experience. Just don't waste your shots on DM, wait it out, profit.

Yeah but a good dva will just out dps him. Armour makes his max damage at 200 if all of his shots crit. Dva's is 168 per second non-crit but at the distances we're operating at a lot of those shots are going to crit, especially with his massive hitbox.

If I 1v1 Dva as hog it's at least a 90% win rate.

Hook goes through her matrix, so start it that way. She'll either continue to put up the matrix: reload, walk around her to shoot/wait it out.
Or
She'll immediately start hammering you with point blank head shots (the much better option): It can get dicey but your shotgun at point blank range should win the battle.

As she ejects from the mech, heal up.

Hook is cooled down, hook her in human form. Dead.

ramyeon

If a Roadhog hooks me as D.va I usually just flick on DM and then jet boost back to safe range again. Never really had issues with him when using D.va.

the current brawl is hilarious

we were in a match which was so oddly quiet because of the hero matchup, just the occasional gunfire lmao

even the play of the game was boring

Borden

Neo Member
As someone who used to always play Mercy, when I see someone else pick her I get disappointed. She's just too weak of character. I don't mean her HP, it's her value to the team.
She can't go with flankers because she struggles to keep up and even if she does she holding up a neon arrow pointing at them. So she has to go with support or tanks. Basically, just behind the front lines bouncing around.
KoTH matches she serves little value because she can't take much in splash damage or just stray shots (even if the enemy team decides to ignore her). This is an issue in all modes but there's an extra layer of bad because a teammate that's pushing thinks she is feeding them health. Then she has to bug out and said teammate is probably in a really bad spot. She is extremely slow unless she has a teammate to fly to.
Her damage boost rarely seems like it's a difference, more so because whoever you're boosting is going to get return fire. If Mercy would've just been healing it probably would've been a better net result since sometimes that half second of lost healing (during the switch) may have resulted in either the kill or enough to escape for her teammate. Only being able to heal one team mate at a time and very little offensive contributions put her as maybe the worst character in the game.
The slow speed on her ult charge makes a huge difference too. Revives are bringing people back to where they died so it's probably not a good spot and now that they come so much slower, if you revive a teammate only to have them die right away is actually a significant set back for your team. Her entire team has to be actively working a game plan specific to her. And if a group is that dedicated to game plans there's better options.
Sorry for the rant.

tl;dr - Sadly, Mercy is almost never a good pick. Don't pick her.

As someone who used to always play Mercy, when I see someone else pick her I get disappointed. She's just too weak of character. I don't mean her HP, it's her value to the team.
She can't go with flankers because she struggles to keep up and even if she does she holding up a neon arrow pointing at them. So she has to go with support or tanks. Basically, just behind the front lines bouncing around.
KoTH matches she serves little value because she can't take much in splash damage or just stray shots (even if the enemy team decides to ignore her). This is an issue in all modes but there's an extra layer of bad because a teammate that's pushing thinks she is feeding them health. Then she has to bug out and said teammate is probably in a really bad spot. She is extremely slow unless she has a teammate to fly to.
Her damage boost rarely seems like it's a difference, more so because whoever you're boosting is going to get return fire. If Mercy would've just been healing it probably would've been a better net result since sometimes that half second of lost healing (during the switch) may have resulted in either the kill or enough to escape for her teammate. Only being able to heal one team mate at a time and very little offensive contributions put her as maybe the worst character in the game.
The slow speed on her ult charge makes a huge difference too. Revives are bringing people back to where they died so it's probably not a good spot and now that they come so much slower, if you revive a teammate only to have them die right away is actually a significant set back for your team. Her entire team has to be actively working a game plan specific to her. And if a group is that dedicated to game plans there's better options.
Sorry for the rant.

tl;dr - Sadly, Mercy is almost never a good pick. Don't pick her.
I sadly agree - I main mercy and pharah- quite a bit below 50% with mercy and quite a bit above with pharah. Odd thing is - I never seen to lose as much as when I play against mercy. Her heal needs to be boosted - and she needs to become faster

Precisely. Roadhog is a non-issue unless he gets me by surprise while DM and boost are on CD.

Same. I usually win that matchup. D.Va is my most played character and Roadhog never really gives me much trouble.

As long as you're aggressive against him it's pretty easy as you'll out DPS him. If he surprises you with the hook, DM then boost for health pack, come back and kill him.

Ertai

So, I tried solo queue competitive for two games.

I won't be doing that again.

Same here, went 2-6 and this is getting so frustrating. On a personal level i felt like i played really great but in the end it meant nothing. Maybe i'm reading too much into those rankings but according to Overbuff it was pretty decent:

Just felt like a total waste of an evening progression wise,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom