• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you stay the leavers can't queue till the game is done

i drag that shit out every time, fuck those assholes

sometimes the enemy team will let me trigger overtime for a while too

Is that how it works? I thought leaving with a penalty meant you get a temporary suspension from re-queueing again for like 10 minutes anyway.

Weird thing about it is that I had a scenario like that yesterday (leaver was someone I group with and I knew that they didn't leave on purpose) but when I left after the warning it showed that there was an error on the server and I didn't lose any rank at all.

Did he DC within the first 30 seconds or something? I remember reading that if that happens the match ends with no loss/win rewarded.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah it was the start of the second round.

Losing when you're playing your best really sucks. My Zarya play has gone through the roof this last week and Im really beginning to groove with her, getting a card for almost every game and getting in the 99th percentile in a ton of stats in Overbuff(stats BOYZ). That feel when you win and know it was you that carried the team is great.

Ranked has seriously upped my pharrah game. Feels so satisfying when you feel like you're dominating the other team in the air.

Moonkid

I'm sick and tired of playing the same game mode over and over again, there needs to be more KOTH in rotation.
Hello Overwatch-GAF. I'm a former TF2 player on PC, and am looking to buy Overwatch for PS4 since I no longer have a gaming rig. Before I pull the trigger, I have a few questions regarding the PSN community. First, are there many players on PSN? Second, is there an Overwatch GAF community on PSN? Third, do majority of the players on PSN treat this game as a typical FPS and go for k/d ratio or do they understand the mechanics of the game?

Coming from TF2 I understand the importance of team composition and a playing your role so I do not want to find myself constantly grouping with Selfish offensive minded players.
Former TF2 player here as well currently playing OW on the PS4.

As far as I can tell there is a hefty community but I suppose it's still early days. There is a community and it's called Overwatch GAF Squad which I think you can add yourself in. And on your last point, it's a mixed bag really. Playing with a group is the only guaranteed way to avoid that frustration but solo-queuing isn't that heinous. I live in a time zone no one else does here so I've been going solo most times and it's not that bad. If you live in the states or Britain you'll probably have peeps playing when you do. Add me anyway if you do get it though :p

Moon_k1d

JaY P.

I'm sick and tired of playing the same game mode over and over again, there needs to be more KOTH in rotation.Former TF2 player here as well currently playing OW on the PS4.

As far as I can tell there is a hefty community but I suppose it's still early days. There is a community and it's called Overwatch GAF Squad which I think you can add yourself in. And on your last point, it's a mixed bag really. Playing with a group is the only guaranteed way to avoid that frustration but solo-queuing isn't that heinous. I live in a time zone no one else does here so I've been going solo most times and it's not that bad. If you live in the states or Britain you'll probably have peeps playing when you do. Add me anyway if you do get it though :p

Moon_k1d

Thanks for this response. As long as I know there is a GAF community, it should be alright. And yes I will add you to my friends list. Expect an invite from RAIDERSfan_808.

Played 3 competitive matches and won 2, lost 1. Had an amazing match as Soldier 76 on attack on Route 66 payload - 20 eliminations, 0 deaths, lots of payload time. Completely rinsed the other team. Also I guess they finally patched the Lockdown trophy because it popped for me after a competitive game on Anubis.

On another note: is there something up with the tracking for Masteroverwatch/Overbuff? Because I've played more matches than it has listed and it won't update my stats anymore on either site.

Moonkid

Thanks for this response. As long as I know there is a GAF community, it should be alright. And yes I will add you to my friends list. Expect an invite from RAIDERSfan_808.
Sweet, and no worries. It's definitely nicer to ease into the game already having a tangential understanding of the game modes e.g. payload/control points.

Super Macho Man

Neo Member
In need of some friends to add (I'm on PC), all my friends have this on console, but I'd rather play on PC. Getting tried of playing with randos, and would like to play with some folks who actually want to get after objectives. TheJerkster#1798

Gator86

Just played with a Mei at 64 who only fired icicles, never got any kills, and refused to switch. How is it even possible to get that high while still being total garbage?

Zemm

Blizzard still haven't said anything about the Solider 76 macro right? I'm hoping they just ban everyone that has used it without any warning.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Most XP gain I've gotten from one match... it was a total shutout on Volskaya (we full held on defense then capped the first point in 1 minute).

screenshot_16-07-05_2uqszf.jpg

Zarya + Roadhog duo-queue is the truth. 8)

Ramirez

That feeling when you dominate a team and they don't get the payload to the 2nd CP. But then your team picks a bunch of defensive heroes and doesn't get it to the first CP. -_-

Kito

I saw somebody explain that somewhere else, I think on Reddit: Symmetra is a character you switch away from in the course of the match, and usually never switch TO. Most Symmetra players, myself included, will usually pick someone else when the game isn't going our way, and the enemy is pushing too hard too fast. And since the game counts the last character you're playing as as the one who "lost," then that's why Symmetra's win rate is probably artifically high.

I thought Symmetra (and Torb's) high win rate was because they're only used in defence, not attack or koth.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Most XP gain I've gotten from one match... it was a total shutout on Volskaya (we full held on defense then capped the first point in 1 minute)

The size of that rating gain makes me hard.

I thought Symmetra (and Torb's) high win rate was because they're only used in defence, not attack or koth.

That plays a small part in it yes but most Syms switch off (or they should) once crap hits the fan and the first defense falls, A TP is worthless if the payload is moving at max speed towards the goal and effectively shortening the runback for the defense.

Satch

Banned
i was playing pharah and there was a widowmaker on the other team. she killed me once and then i made her life hell the rest of the game

a bright spot in a sea of shit

LiK

Rank 44 with randoms and joined a partial group for two placement games. This mode is a chore. Not gonna play anymore of it unless I get a full group.

ramyeon

I think I actually prefer Quick Play regardless of group reliability. The faster rounds just suit my lifestyle more since I rarely have time to dedicate half an hour or more to just one round.

Gator86

The higher my rank goes, the better I play. This is because my team is finally playing like I want to them to - namely, like a bunch of goddamn savages. We've been a ball of rolling death on attack as my teammates just swarm everything in sight while in my Zarya bubbles, keeping me at 100 energy basically the entire match. I don't think the payload has stopped for even a second over my last few games. At 70% wins and rank 64 now from solo queue.

I really hope Blizz figures out the matchmaking so everyone gets to enjoy the game instead of being trapped in a Hanzo/Genji-filled hell. It doesn't even feel like the same game I was playing a week ago.

Antiwhippy

I regret nothing.

The higher my rank goes, the better I play. This is because my team is finally playing like I want to them to - namely, like a bunch of goddamn savages. We've been a ball of rolling death on attack as my teammates just swarm everything in sight while in my Zarya bubbles, keeping me at 100 energy basically the entire match. I don't think the payload has stopped for even a second over my last few games. At 70% wins and rank 64 now from solo queue.

I really hope Blizz figures out the matchmaking so everyone gets to enjoy the game instead of being trapped in a Hanzo/Genji-filled hell. It doesn't even feel like the same game I was playing a week ago.

On the other hand wouldn't that mean that the teams you're being matched against were badly matched to players that are better than them? :p

Also yeah, one of my problems with lower rank games is that everyone is so goddamn timid, especially in 2CP or 1CP payload maps. Key to the game is to be carefully aggressive honestly.

Gator86

I regret nothing.

On the other hand wouldn't that mean that the teams you're being matched against were badly matched to players that are better than them? :p

Also yeah, one of my problems with lower rank games is that everyone is so goddamn timid, especially in 2CP or 1CP payload maps. Key to the game is to be carefully aggressive honestly.

Yeah, people at the lower ranks seem terrified of everything whereas the people at higher ranks play like psychopaths. I haven't seen anyone past 60 strafing back and forth behind a chokepoint wall on attack, mortified by the idea of being killed in a video game.

Fugu

I play almost exclusively Mercy and I've noticed that in the recent patch version, PotG seems to be bugged for her in that it often shows the wrong revive instead of the one that actually got PotG. In the last game I played, for example, I got a quad revive on the point which caused us to win the game seconds later. Instead of showing that revive, it showed a single revive that I did earlier in the game that was of almost no consequence. This has happened to me a few times now and I'm starting to think that it's actually a thing as opposed to a one-off fluke.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior? I'm on PC.

Antiwhippy

I play almost exclusively Mercy and I've noticed that in the recent patch version, PotG seems to be bugged for her in that it often shows the wrong revive instead of the one that actually got PotG. In the last game I played, for example, I got a quad revive on the point which caused us to win the game seconds later. Instead of showing that revive, it showed a single revive that I did earlier in the game that was of almost no consequence. This has happened to me a few times now and I'm starting to think that it's actually a thing as opposed to a one-off fluke.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior? I'm on PC.

I've had a few PotG where it seems to choose a more underwhelming part of play. Had like a quintuple kill wombo combo as pharrah, instead they chose a part where I had one enviro kill and a double kill.

LiK

I don't like Comp at all. Takes way too long to finish a match. I'll stick with Quick Play. I got one Play of the Match for the road.

*enter thread*

*rants about randoms*

*leaves thread*

My contribution to this thread so far.

Unfortunately it's mine as well. I struggle with fairly fast moving OTs like this one. I get so far behind due to not being able to peruse GAF at work and trying to actually balance my GAF browsing time with my game playing time.

Ayumi

Man, I met a lvl 325 last night.

You'd have to be playing every waking hour since launch haven't you?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Gabynator-11130

Gabynator is known to be a non-lifer when playing/streaming games. He was always one of the highest Paragon levels in Diablo 3, and even got banned for botting. He would take advantage of people and "friends" by having them open boss fights and stuff back when that was what got you the most EXP. But on a side note, he is/was very good at Diablo 3, and was always on the top 100, usually top 10 global (until it became easy to exploit and stuff).

When I say no-lifer, I'm saying that he's famous for investing all his times playing games from his basement. He even quit his job for this, which is fine, I guess he has fun + makes money from streaming. Anyway, he always puts insane hours into his gaming. I don't have anything against him or the way he does things (as long as they are legal). Just wanted to point out that I noticed he's well over level 300 in Overwatch already. heh

Playing the weekly once was enough for me! lmao

Yeah, much as I loved killing it with Symmetra, I can't see myself returning to it much. Pretty much the only brawl that ever kept my interest for more than a few matches was the random character mode; really wish they would bring that back as a permanent mode and just drop the character restricted brawls entirely.

LiK

I do pretty good as Symm doing Defense in Dorado even in Comp. The enemy team couldn't even move the payload at all with my sentries and teleporter keeping my team at the spawn, lol. They barely moved it so when we switched sides, we easily won by just getting it to the first checkpoint.

LowParry

As a Genji learner, should I be me more in enemy lines harassing people, killing the low HP heroes or staying around mid range picking off people?

Best feeling in the game is reflecting a high noon shot and getting the kill. So good.

Salarians

Played my first two competetive matches tonight. First was good, both teams seemed to know what they were doing. A fun, even match.

Second match was awful. Only one person (Mercy) seemed to want to try to win. For most of the match, the rest of our teammates were two Junkrats and two Reapers. Awful because it was a control game and we somehow managed to win twice, so it went on forever and ever.

ramyeon

As a Genji learner, should I be me more in enemy lines harassing people, killing the low HP heroes or staying around mid range picking off people?

Best feeling in the game is reflecting a high noon shot and getting the kill. So good.
I always play Genji in a similar way to how I play Tracer - flanking from the sides or getting behind the enemy and taking them out before they notice me.

LiK

Maybe it's just me but did the sensitivity on PS4 go lower after patch? I know they fixed some dead zone issues so maybe that's why it felt off to me. I'll need to readjust it, i think

Man, the things you learn in this brawl, though. Did you know that Symmetra can actually put her teleporter on the payload? Kept getting refunded at every checkpoint, and I just kept putting it back on there and the enemy team was never able to destroy it as we pushed the payload all the way to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom