• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty salty last night. During a Payload Attack on Gibraltar, a bunch of us died to a Junkrat wheel, and as we were walking out of spawn, two of the three of us got sniped by a McCree as we were walking out of spawn. He was on the completely other side of an entirely different, large room!

rwsvVM1.png

While I'm sure that McCree was a nice person who clearly knew what he was doing, judging by the replay of his positioning, I dedicated the rest of the game to poking and annoying that player with Winston. I apologise to that player and the rest of my team, but I needed that.

Jayhawk

A group of 4 GAF and 2 randoms were in a close competitive match just now, and it was 2-2 in Lijiang. One of the random decides to quit just before the 5th round, and we end up losing. I got 55 eliminations in that match as Tracer, a new PB. It sucks that the person left when it was still up in the air. I hope Blizzard's changes to leavers this week is good.

ramyeon

Just played with a Junkrat who stood in a corner shooting himself with his explosives for the whole game. Why I people do this shit?

Bollocks

Why?

I mean Mercy is fun yeah but there are so many great heroes in this how could you not at least give each a go?

No real reason, other than that I wanted to deviate from the standard shooting mechanics in every other fps, so I picked Mercy.
I did try others but I kept coming back to Mercy, also because I got the game late and was in a hurry to hit 25 and learn a hero for comp.

Finally got round to finishing up my Competitive placement games. Got 56. 7 wins and 3 losses.

One of those losses came because during a game on Hollywood two of my team mates left, I saw a red box telling me if I leave now I won't be penalised. So I quit, knowing full well my team of 4 won't stand a chance. It marked me down for a loss.

No penalties?!

Bullshit.

ExcelTronic

Time of day definitely seems to have an impact on the overall skill of all the players. After getting my placement in competitive mode, which was 55, I lost 12 games straight, down to 43, so I went to bed. However, during the day the games were pretty much balanced all round.

ramyeon

No real reason, other than that I wanted to deviate from the standard shooting mechanics in every other fps, so I picked Mercy.
I did try others but I kept coming back to Mercy, also because I got the game late and was in a hurry to hit 25 and learn a hero for comp.
All the characters except maybe Soldier are pretty unique compared to other FPS games so you should be good in that respect. Branch out a bit! They're all so fun!

Kasei

Finally got round to finishing up my Competitive placement games. Got 56. 7 wins and 3 losses.

One of those losses came because during a game on Hollywood two of my team mates left, I saw a red box telling me if I leave now I won't be penalised. So I quit, knowing full well my team of 4 won't stand a chance. It marked me down for a loss.

No penalties?!

Bullshit.

It definitely sucks when someone leaves right?

Despite that, the red warning banner does explicitly mention that you will still incur a loss upon leaving the game. If that element of the system was removed it could be exploited heavily.

Rocketz

4am solo queue in quick match is terrible. I just wanted to play something to wind down on after a bunch of ranked matches but I just got super salt from it. Teammates picking the most awful combinations. Never again.

It definitely sucks when someone leaves right?

Despite that, the red warning banner does explicitly mention that you will still incur a loss upon leaving the game. If that element of the system was removed it could be exploited heavily.

Isn't there two warnings? the first one says a member of your team has left and you can leave in 60 seconds without penalty, then a second one later that you can leave without penalty but will take a loss

The first message needs to be clearer

peakish

Yeah, I think I'm done with competitive. Had 2 guys tell me to kill myself and demanded everybody (even the other team!) report me because apparently it's my singular fault that we lost? I guess Symmetra is so uniquely bad on Anubis point A that it's all my fault, forever. Idk.

Sure, the entire team melted away from the gate like a chocolate easter bunny faced with a blowdryer at the first sign of pressure, leaving me stranded high and dry behind what's suddenly enemy lines, but sure. Why not. Clearly my inability to get a teleporter up in time meant that I must have intentionally and deliberately trolled them.
Sorry that happened. I don't think she's a bad pick on defense maps, one of my friends play her a lot and can get the teleporter up really quickly. Helps a ton for quick respawns. Sometimes it doesn't work as the other team defeats us too quickly but that's on all of us.

Fuck assholes who harass others.

duckroll

Lost a placement match on sudden death because my sis got disconnected, and when she tried to rejoin they threw her into some other competitive game?????? We got distracted waiting for her to return, failed to defend, and got creamed 6v5. :(

What the hell.

Well, I got 2 wins and 8 losses on my placement matches, and I think I had a full team for either 3 or 4 of them. 1 VS 6 on Nepal was fun, too.

The best moment was on the map with the big hole in the middle that Lucio likes to skate around in (it's Illios, right?): Me and a few others had been killed while they had the point almost captured, but was being contested. As we were heading back, it went to Overtime, which swiftly ended when we saw the Hanzo and Genji who were contesting the point hop over the wall in unison to avoid getting killed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Lost a placement match on sudden death because my sis got disconnected, and when she tried to rejoin they threw her into some other competitive game?????? We got distracted waiting for her to return, failed to defend, and got creamed 6v5. :(

What the hell.

Yeah that happened to someone I grouped with. Did she quit all the way out of the game? I don't think there's a rejoin option if that happens?

Isn't there two warnings? the first one says a member of your team has left and you can leave in 60 seconds without penalty, then a second one later that you can leave without penalty but will take a loss

The first message needs to be clearer

No penalties?!

Bullshit.

There's only one warning. If a teammate leaves and doesn't reconnect in 60 seconds, you can leave without incurring a leaver penalty, but you will still take a L.

duckroll

Yeah that happened to someone I grouped with. Did she quit all the way out of the game? I don't think there's a rejoin option if that happens?

She said she was stuck on the Rejoin menu, and then they threw her into some other game instead. After we lost, I was looking at my Social and it said she was only "in battle net", but she was actually in the game playing another match. Only after I myself quit out of Overwatch and restarted it did it show her in another Comp match. Sounds like the networking went really wonky.

There's only one warning. If a teammate leaves and doesn't reconnect in 60 seconds, you can leave without incurring a leaver penalty, but you will still take a L.

I should have said console, I'm positive we have 2 different ones, the first makes no reference to a loss. No doubt it will happen later so I'll screenshot them

Antiwhippy

She said she was stuck on the Rejoin menu, and then they threw her into some other game instead. After we lost, I was looking at my Social and it said she was only "in battle net", but she was actually in the game playing another match. Only after I myself quit out of Overwatch and restarted it did it show her in another Comp match. Sounds like the networking went really wonky.

Yeah definitely some networking wonkiness going on. That same match we opted to leave once the time is up, but when i left it says error with server, and it didn't drop my rank.

Ferga

More than half my games today had leavers..

Is there anyway you can check your winrate without counting losses from leavers?

Lupercal

Banned

But you only know one hero, then don't do comp.
What if someone else picks Mercy, you're screwed.

This is like playing LOL and only playing adc.

I should have said console, I'm positive we have 2 different ones, the first makes no reference to a loss. No doubt it will happen later so I'll screenshot them

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong but I never saw any mention of taking a loss if you lose. If I saw that I would have stayed and tried, in vain, to get a win.

JJShadow

Yesterday I had the most awesome and exciting game I've ever had since I started playing. Competitive on Lijang Tower. We lost the first round, but we recovered and won the next two rounds. They won again the fourth round, so it was 2-2 and only one round ahead. On the final one, they melted us in the very first minute (team kill) and captured the point. It was impossible for us to take it back, they were defending surprisingly well and made it to 99%. However, right before the Overtime finished, I managed to kill 4 of them with Junkrat's wheel, allowing us to take the point back. We managed to reach 99% without letting them into the point, and after 5 minutes of overtime, we finally managed to win. Oh man, I was sooo nervous during that final overtime, my hands were almost shaking

I also got a new record in eliminations (73) and damage done, it felt sooo good :D

peakish

Interesting that a win rate over 50% still results in a net ranking loss of 3.
Mercy players in particular seem to be screwed over in the ranking adjustments. I was watching a stream yesterday where they earned about 1/10 rank after every win with her, then respectively 1/2 rank and an entire rank after winning as Zenyatta and Lucio. Every loss dinged a lot of points.

I don't know if that's the correct way to adjust a players MMR but it sucks on a fun level for that character.

Fugu

Mercy players in particular seem to be screwed over in the ranking adjustments. I was watching a stream yesterday where they earned about 1/10 rank after every win with her, then respectively 1/2 rank and an entire rank after winning as Zenyatta and Lucio. Every loss dinged a lot of points.

I don't know if that's the correct way to adjust a players MMR but it sucks on a fun level for that character.
I think the system uses the stats to determine individual effort. If you mostly play Mercy, you're really only going to have decent stats in healing and maybe objective time.

It's quite the stupid system. Looking at my own results I have to win about 60% of the time just to maintain my rank.

zoukka

Log in - queue competitive - get in a match where widow and hanzo are forced in attack - proceed to lose without a checkpoint reached - close the game - come to GAF to cry.

Close to deleting my account.

ViviOggi

Sounds like coincidence where the Mercy games had leavers on the losing team while the Zenyatta/Lucio games didn't. You only ever take individual performance into account during placement games so you have another data point in order to minimize uncertainty, whereas post-placement MMR change should be based exclusively on winning/losing. If individual performance really influenced post-placement rating that would be another colossal fuck-up from Blizz re:ranked, but I really can't believe they're that naive.

RemiLP

No, the ranking relates directly to your MMR rating. I see how that has some nice advantages but it also leads to some frustrating aspects.

Thats really dumb imo.

That would mean a hanzo staying at the back and doing nothing to help push the payload or cap the point will be given a higher rank than the guy that kept pressuring by himselfe and died many times before actually caping a point and helped win a match.

zoukka

Thats really dumb imo.

That would mean a hanzo staying at the back and doing nothing to help push the payload or cap the point will be given a higher rank than the guy that kept pressuring by himselfe and died many times before actually caping a point and helped win a match.

Just according to Blizz's hideous plan of keeping even the hanzos happy.

How is Mcree post the update guys?

Still good, but now requires some skill.

Fugu

Sounds like coincidence where the Mercy games had leavers on the losing team while the Zenyatta/Lucio games didn't. You only ever take individual performance into account during placement games so you have another data point in order to minimize uncertainty, whereas post-placement MMR change should be based exclusively on winning/losing. If individual performance really influenced post-placement rating that would be another colossal fuck-up from Blizz re:ranked, but I really can't believe they're that naive.
Is there any actual proof that they're not doing this?

I almost exclusively play Mercy, my win rate is around 55%, and my rank has gone down by 3 since placement. I have to win about three out of every five games (60%) to maintain my rank, so my rank goes down the more that I play.

Antiwhippy

I almost exclusively play Mercy, my win rate is around 55%, and my rank has gone down by 3 since placement. I have to win about three out of every five games (60%) to maintain my rank, so my rank goes down the more that I play.

What were the team averages of the teams you've won/lost against vs your team?

peakish

We do know that individual performance plays a part, although not to what extent. It's in this post by Kaplan.

But yeah, I realize that confirmation bias might be a thing. I don't think there were many games with leavers that I saw but even discounting that it doesn't mean much without being able to compare against how much team mates earned after the game. I think at one point Seagull said that he got quite a bit in his game while Shayed (this was on her stream) got this 1/10th. But I don't remember exactly and it's pretty bad evidence unless you would cross check the two streams which I don't feel like lol.

Thats really dumb imo.

Really depends on which factors they look at and how they are weighed.

ViviOggi

How would you prove that without insight into their algorithm. I'm not claiming they're not doing it since we don't have that information, I'm saying it's rather unlikely as there's no precedent among team-based competitive games of the past decade or so to handle ranking that way, with good reason. It should be obvious to Blizzard's seasoned game designers that individual performance is all but immeasurable in an objective-based team FPS with widely differing roles.

Since you're a Mercy player you could collect proper ranking data from your games, including whether or not there were leavers on either team so we can rule out that factor.

Edit:
We do know that individual performance plays a part, although not to what extent. It's in this post by Kaplan.
Well there we have it
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png

Ranked confirmed mess

RemiLP

Really depends on which factors they look at and how they are weighed.

Yeah, sure. But the only thing that really mathers, is your contribution to the win. And that sounds like an impossible thing to meassure in a team objective based game. Kdr and objective time is an indication, but could also be way off.

PatjuhR

I main a character in every category, but I'll still swap out to others sometimes if I think it will go better if I do that.

You can main a character without being limited.

zoukka

The only winning game today I get a leaver naturally. From rank 50 to 45 in one sitting.

There are no words for this mode.

Played a game with what I think was an anti-AFK bot? Seriously? It was a widowmaker that just ran into a corner and jumped the whole match. Did nothing, never fired a shot. Every time I died I spectated her and it was always in the same corner jumping around. I guess they're just farming exp? Really lame

peakish

Played a game with what I think was an anti-AFK bot? Seriously? It was a widowmaker that just ran into a corner and jumped the whole match. Did nothing, never fired a shot. Every time I died I spectated her and it was always in the same corner jumping around. I guess they're just farming exp? Really lame
Did you report them?

Antiwhippy

Didn't have to be a bot from the sounds of things, could easily be done with keyboard macros or a drinky bird. :p

Still a bannable offense. Report away.

Just played with someone that had 125 comp wins. I'm just getting around to 50. Some people play this non-stop.

He also picked Bastion for attack on Route 66. wut

We still won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom