• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

I literally just played with the worst mercy I have ever seen, some level 100+ with 37 hours on mercy, and still, just the worst.Never thought I would see the day of a mercy that did not wings everywhere and only used the damage beam. I was top healer as 76

Odrion

Banned
They need an option for a "skin playlist", something like the highlight intro playlist: Select what skins on each champion you like and it selects a random one from one of those for each game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there any counter to D.Va now? Just played an obnoxious QP against a 3 D.Va stack and it was annoying as shit.

Other than the ones others mentioned: ZEN.

She doesn't have it as bad as roadhog since she can jet away but unlike rein and zarya she can't block out discord. Armour don't mean shit when you have discord on you.

Gorillaz

My rule of thumb for next season is to wait like 2 weeks before doing placement matches

Shit is so dumb right now with the type of people im getting placed with. Literally fell back down to to mid 50s

Which means im stuck within Blizzards terrible ass magnet of matchmaking

Apathy

People already bitch at weak/subpar defense characters, if they buff them even a little, the tears would flow uncontrollably

cirrhosis

So I started playing Overwatch over the last month and finished my ranked placement last week.

I had this idea that competitive teams would theoretically a better game but mostly have been really disappointed from subsequent games. It fucking sucks - people that have no business, no motivation play
competitive. Seeing my ranking take a hit hurts when I feel like I'm doing well and committed to objective.

Sure I'm not the only one having these gripes but cant be arsed to go back through three other threads.

For the top 500 spray, do you have to be in the top 500 to get the spray when the season ends, or do you just have to get top 500 at any point in the season and get it no matter what? I'm not gonna be able to play for the last week of the season and it would suck if that would screw me out of that spray.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At the end of a match, my turret shot my teammate Mei that was standing right in front of it. I saw blood come out in slow mo and everything.

Even the non sentient thing hates Mei

ramyeon

Maybe they just like playing him
What is there to like? Most people just play him sitting on a point as a sentry.

Literally the most boring character in the game.

Sure he could be interesting if you play him more mobile but I can count the people I've seen do that on one hand.

Antiwhippy

Nah I have met people who do play like that.

He's still not great, but if you babysit them a bit as a tank, they're not completely horrible?

I'd still rather have anyone else, including attack torb, but eh.

People already bitch at weak/subpar defense characters, if they buff them even a little, the tears would flow uncontrollably

Maybe they should rework Defense characters to be less anti-fun?

10 years of Warcraft should of taught them that characters that stun, kill too fast, or burst too easily are hated. I'm honestly puzzled why they made Defense characters focus on those.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is there to like? Most people just play him sitting on a point as a sentry.

Literally the most boring character in the game.

Sure he could be interesting if you play him more mobile but I can count the people I've seen do that on one hand.

People like playing Widow and gameplay-wise she's incredibly basic. I'd say she's even more 'been there done that' than 76

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe they should rework Defense characters to be so anti-fun?

10 years of Warcraft should of taught them that characters that stun, kill too fast, or burst too easily are hated. I'm honestly puzzled why they made Defense characters focus on those.

but the offense characters stun, kill too fast and burst too easily.

Veelk

Banned
I still think people who say QP is for practice are insane. It's terrible for practice because it doesn't prepare you for how a good team is supposed to work well. It's such a bag of randomness. You either get a team that is close to your skill level, which works as practice because you are fighting in an realsitic situation. Or you get people who are utterly at your mercy, in which case you're not practicing, because no matter how terrible your playing, the other team is playing badly enough as a team that one of your allies will pick up the slack for you. Like, it doesn't matter that your missing all your shots if your ally puts the enemy down. And then there's the other option where the team steamrolls you. If that is the case, then you are truly fucked because you get slaughtered before you can even try anything. This happens even when playing a character your good at, god help you if you are practicing with a character your not.

I'm not saying ranked is better, but only because of the severe detriment it has to losing. If you do poorly, you get punished. However, it's the best at providing you the kind of environment you will most learn from: enough room that you can actually stand a chance, but enough pressure that you are actively pushed to contribute.

The best practice mode I feel we had was Mobawatch. People had to pick a hero, and stick to them, meaning they made the best use out of them with every game, but also didn't hold any one match against anyone because, since it didn't track your stats, no game had extended meaning beyond the start and end of the match.

Ramirez

I swear man, Roadhog's gun is the most inconsistent piece of shit in the game. A hooked Ana with a discord orb doesn't die, like is this real life?

LiK

I still think people who say QP is for practice are insane. It's terrible for practice because it doesn't prepare you for how a good team is supposed to work well. It's such a bag of randomness. You either get a team that is close to your skill level, which works as practice because you are fighting in an realsitic situation. Or you get people who are utterly at your mercy, in which case you're not practicing, because no matter how terrible your playing, the other team is playing badly enough as a team that one of your allies will pick up the slack for you. Like, it doesn't matter that your missing all your shots if your ally puts the enemy down. And then there's the other option where the team steamrolls you. If that is the case, then you are truly fucked because you get slaughtered before you can even try anything. This happens even when playing a character your good at, god help you if you are practicing with a character your not.

I'm not saying ranked is better, but only because of the severe detriment it has to losing. If you do poorly, you get punished. However, it's the best at providing you the kind of environment you will most learn from: enough room that you can actually stand a chance, but enough pressure that you are actively pushed to contribute.

The best practice mode I feel we had was Mobawatch. People had to pick a hero, and stick to them, meaning they made the best use out of them with every game, but also didn't hold any one match against anyone because, since it didn't track your stats, no game had extended meaning beyond the start and end of the match.

What we usually mean by that it's practice is for trying out heroes and their abilities. Not teamwork.

ramyeon

We get it Veelk, you liked Mobawatch.

Just a dumb spray from my free box, but I did get the Winston pounding his chest emote, so I'm happy about that.

Man, matchmaking must be out of whack today, losing so many one sided matches,

Veelk

Banned
What we usually mean by that it's practice is for trying out heroes and their abilities. Not teamwork.
Okay. So how do you learn to snipe as widowmaker in 3 seconds between reaching the battleground where the enemy can be seen and when you get blasted by 5 players crossfire? How do learn to use Genji's dragonblade when the team kills you the moment you come near?

This is a team game and for that, you need your team. I've yet to ever enter any game where either I am steamrolled or the other guys are where I feel I actually learned something that I wouldn't learn in an even match. The reverse isn't true.

We get it Veelk, you liked Mobawatch.

I don't think you do. Let me explain it again....

Honestly, I'd post about it on battle.net if they'd let me, but apparently that's only for the pc crowd and dirty console peasants have to stay out.

But yeah, no stacking + no stat tracking leads to very good results imo. Being permanently stuck with your hero may be iffy, but I feel it made people more careful of team comps and I felt I was more committed to bringing out the best in my character. Best practice mode you could make.

It was a good mode and I want it back.

Antiwhippy

Overwatch was designed with a specific TTK. Its why matches are so short. Its why maps are so small. Bastion still has the highest DPS in the game. Mei has an entire kit designed on stuns for area denial.

And that TTK is getting increasingly shorter with the power and speed creep.

I'd rather blizzard focus on slowing the game down and make zoning an actual part of the game. If not why not just play COD except some people can hold a shield up for people to hide behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom