• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Whenever I play Zenyatta nobody shoots the people I discord even if its a tank standing right in front of them, I'll usually be punished by the team for so much as thinking about dropping the purple on any of them.

Whenever I play against Zenyatta, the orb has sent a push notification to the entire enemy team and I am public enemy no. 1.

xaosslug

Reddit seems to have come to the same conclusion as me: https://m.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4vzb29/rank_63_competitive_just_feels_like_a_survival/

I find it goes for QP too over a certain MMR. I'm not sure what the right fix is but buffing his counters rather than nerfing him might be the best way to go.

and Ana's ult makes things even more horrifying. What's the most hilariously op thing about Genji's ult is that he doesn't really even need to be that close to you to slice and dice. I mean he should at least have to be in pistol-whip range. smh

Ramirez

Whenever I play Zenyatta nobody shoots the people I discord even if its a tank standing right in front of them, I'll usually be punished by the team for so much as thinking about dropping the purple on any of them.

Whenever I play against Zenyatta, the orb has sent a push notification to the entire enemy team and I am public enemy no. 1.

This is how I feel when I play with/against Zen. Playing a tank with a Zen on the other side is a miserable experience at times these days.

do you tell them in chat? you should be that guy and say discord on XXX

This is how I feel when I play with/against Zen. Playing a tank with a Zen on the other side is a miserable experience at times these days.

The other day I was playing as Reinhardt against a Zenyatta, and for some reason the very moment I put down the shield to recharge it or swing my hammer/flamestrike, I immediately had Discord on my face. It was infuriating. How does he know?!

darklin0

Banned
pxJ6ArR.jpg

Opened my free RioBox..... I am screaming.

xaosslug

i am always in awe of how my team can't even seem to come together and push the objective, meanwhile the enemy team are always the Borg when it comes to going after little ol' me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tanks are my main class so the Zen in every game has been rough. If I'm roadhog, zen with zarya is hell since she can bubble him even if you get the hook landed, and dva gets discorded even with defense matrix up which makes it hard to get too aggressive. Winston has grown on me a lot lately but even with your ult you can die in a split second due to the discord.

exYle

Give Winston a buff to counter Genji. Poor guy really needs it. Make more of his health armour or something. Perhaps make airborne enemies take double damage.

R0ckman

What caused Winston to drop in usefulness in rank? Before all the tweaks (only time I played), vs good genjis I was able to scare them half way across the map.

The Zenyatta buff brought him into play more often? Zenyatta was a pain for me as Winston.

Anne

Reddit seems to have come to the same conclusion as me: https://m.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4vzb29/rank_63_competitive_just_feels_like_a_survival/

I find it goes for QP too over a certain MMR. I'm not sure what the right fix is but buffing his counters rather than nerfing him might be the best way to go.

He's not. I play around upper 60s/low 70s in comp on PC. He's very good and very punishing, but in a more coordinated environment he's a lot easier to deal with.

It's really easy for Genji to snowball a fight out of control, but it's also easy for him to not get a chance to do that. There's a reason he gets switched a lot.

He's just high skill cap to play and high skill cap to counter. I'll admit he's much better in solo q where teams have a harder time coordinating against him, but if balance starts happening based around that then we're in for some sad times.

Syntax

what if they just make symmetry's beam heal too

da0ce8b8396d96f84839c367a2d66297.jpg

They could just give her Combat Girl's kit and she'd be fine, I think. The hyper beam ult, too, while her teleporter is up.

As someone who plays a lot of Lucio, I know Genji is coming for me if he ults. Should I have to save/have my ult available just so me and my team can survive his?

In my experiences as a Mercy, my best defense against Genji ult (and I know he's comin' for me because support) is to hide or kill him myself. My team might be relied on to protect me, but that's a rare-rare-rare thing as I solo queue in both quickplay and competitive.

Two things I'd like to see with Genji:

1. Why does his deflect block melee? Why does it block it from the back?
2. Holy crap! His sword-swing-ult killed me from across the map?! How? I was clearly out of blade range. (Sephiroooooooth!)

Anne

Another thing about Genji, the main counter to him is weaker in the current meta. You want to pick tanks and have ways to disengage. But then Zen/Lucio/McCree basically invalidate your frontline.

darklin0

Banned
Another thing about Genji, the main counter to him is weaker in the current meta. You want to pick tanks and have ways to disengage. But then Zen/Lucio/McCree basically invalidate your frontline.

Yuuuuuup. Its not that Genji is too strong, well a bit too strong, but its the fact that his counters are just not strong enough. Especially with Zen being viable now. Any Winston jumping to kill lower health enemies gets shredded instantly now.

ISOM

I always hear proteams who have a Zenyatta call out who is discorded. I think it takes coordination to really utilize him.

Nimby

Banned
What was the damage buff on Zen's discord before the changes? Funny how things can go from "Zen is the worst hero" to "Zen is the best hero" with just a few changes.

Zen is the only character that needs a 'huge' nerf atm. Genji's effectiveness in the meta right now is because Zen is so strong.

Yuuuuuup. Its not that Genji is too strong, well a bit too strong, but its the fact that his counters are just not strong enough. Especially with Zen being viable now. Any Winston jumping to kill lower health enemies gets shredded instantly now.

Yeah, I've picked Winston a few times just to deal with Genji, and although it slows him down a little, the rest of the team tends to massacre me afterward.

And again, going back up to the discussion earlier: Symmetra absolutely SLAUGHTERS Genji in a one-on-one match-up. But because her kit is so specific, the only time I get to see it is when a Genji player tries to get clever and zip around to Objective A while the rest of my team is busy on Defense. Otherwise, I'm not going to pick her just to deal with a Genji, when 5 out of the other 6 enemy players will have my head and the only thing I can do for my own team is 25 measly shields.

R0ckman

Yeah, I've picked Winston a few times just to deal with Genji, and although it slows him down a little, the rest of the team tends to massacre me afterward.

And again, going back up to the discussion earlier: Symmetra absolutely SLAUGHTERS Genji in a one-on-one match-up. But because her kit is so specific, the only time I get to see it is when a Genji player tries to get clever and zip around to Objective A while the rest of my team is busy on Defense. Otherwise, I'm not going to pick her just to deal with a Genji, when 5 out of the other 6 enemy players will have my head and the only thing I can do for my own team is 25 measly shields.

The hell is your team doing to give the entire enemy team the chance to melt you?

What was the damage buff on Zen's discord before the changes? Funny how things can go from "Zen is the worst hero" to "Zen is the best hero" with just a few changes.

Zen is the only character that needs a 'huge' nerf atm. Genji's effectiveness in the meta right now is because Zen is so strong.

It always has been 50% more damage taken. The only changes to Zenyatta was to his health, his ult and the projectile speed of his orbs.
They also reduced the base damage of his attacks to compensate a bit for the changes.

Zenyatta had been good before, but now that Orb of Discord is practically instant, his ult actually gives him a bit of mobility, and he can actually take a hit or two before going down directly counteracted what made him the worst hero (lack of survivability and mobility).

darklin0

Banned

Zen and D.va. They both are stronger than the Genji counters. Before the buff, the only issue Zen had was the low HP, now he can live long enough for his Discord orb to actually do its job.

The debuff from the Discord orb is the same, they only changed its travel speed. 30 to 120

Yup. I also feel like McCree and Reapers just rip Winston now. I had less problems with McCree before the Fan debuff. Don't get me started on D.va, she completely shreds Winston now. T-T
I want that Mexico flag!!!!
I am glad I got the Mexico flag but that legendary tease. T^T
Saw the orange coin flip and I was flipping out it happened on my first box. Only to see Bloodhardt.... A good skin but man was I disappointed lol.

brian!

So I guess the real underlying question I have is: is it fair that I should have to save my ultimate just to make sure one character's ultimate doesn't completely kill my entire team?

yeah absolutely, per situation ofc
like you might need that zen ult to take that last point during ot, etc.

Anne

I don't think Winston is bad btw. Zarya is probably the better pick into Genji at this point anyways. Just if somebody gets to start a fight by blowing through the tank, Genji gets o do everything for free. Funnily enough, the majority of tanks even into the 70s are typically mediocre on top of that.

darklin0

Banned
I don't think Winston is bad btw. Zarya is probably the better pick into Genji at this point anyways. Just if somebody gets to start a fight by blowing through the tank, Genji gets o do everything for free. Funnily enough, the majority of tanks even into the 70s are typically mediocre on top of that.

Nah, Zarya can't hit him and he can just leave if she shields. He can also dash out of her ult so she can't even hold him down. That being said, none of the tanks are particularly horrible against Genji. The problem lies with the decision Genji forces tanks to take. Tank 5 enemies and let Genji kill your team or try to stop Genji but then get rolled by their team. It is a situation healers are being forced to play on as well. Burn your ult on Genji or hold it and get steamrolled.

Usually? Falling back from my carefully crafted defensive line at the first sign of pressure like

giphy.gif

leaving me high and dry.

Yuuuuuuup. Winston relies heavily on your team pressuring theirs. The second your team runs away its bye bye Winston.

Anne

Nah, Zarya can't hit him and he can just leave if she shields. He can also dash out of her ult so she can't even hold him down. That being said, none of the tanks are particularly horrible against Genji. The problem lies with the decision Genji forces tanks to take. Tank 5 enemies and let Genji kill your team or try to stop Genji but then get rolled by their team. It is a situation healers are being forced to play on as well. Burn your ult on Genji or hold it and get steamrolled.

First off, Zaryas can and will M1 through deflect. That is a thing happens pretty often. Also her shielding things is kind of the point. Like if she doesn't kill him she stops him from executing somebody or instantly swording the Mercy. Counters are not supposed to just outright kill and invalidate the dude; they just stop him from doing his job 24/7 or make his life more difficult.

Like you say a tank has to make a choice, Zarya just hits E on whoever is getting jumped on and swings the fight. Also trading ult for ult is kind of normal. You do it against other ults too, not just Genji. Like if Zarya ults your team, you're gonna hit Q as Zen. If Reaper is jumping into the crew, the beat is getting dropped. That's just how OW works.

You could argue that Genji's ult at 8s or at its fasting charge rate is a bigger strain on resources. That's about it really though.

BigDug13

His survivability is actually better than most 200hp heroes when you factor in that 150 of it regens by itself.

Everyone but McCree has way better escape ability in the offensive hero category though. And McCree makes up for it with stun and incredible left click damage. Zen can either kill or die or ult. There is no other escape.

Soldier can sprint, tracer blink, reaper invis, pharah conc and leap/flight, genji dash, climb, double jump.

Yeah, I'm about 50/50 as far as taking on Genjis with Zarya, at least when it comes to skillful Genjis who are good at using their mobility to dodge away from my beam. It's usually a matter of team awareness, and keeping track of who Genji is going after so you can shield them quick and make him change priority on the fly. If he hits his ult, though, unfortunately there's not much to be done unless I happen to have my ult as well, and luck into hitting it when his Swift Strike is on cooldown.

Speaking of Zarya and ults, I think the Junkrats I'm playing against are starting to get smarter. Twice tonight I hit my shield as the Rip Tire was coming for me, only for the player to send it right past me, circle around, and then come back just as my shield is dropped to take me out. Clever bastards.

Palmer_v1

Yeah, I'm about 50/50 as far as taking on Genjis with Zarya, at least when it comes to skillful Genjis who are good at using their mobility to dodge away from my beam. It's usually a matter of team awareness, and keeping track of who Genji is going after so you can shield them quick and make him change priority on the fly. If he hits his ult, though, unfortunately there's not much to be done unless I happen to have my ult as well, and luck into hitting it when his Swift Strike is on cooldown.

Speaking of Zarya and ults, I think the Junkrats I'm playing against are starting to get smarter. Twice tonight I hit my shield as the Rip Tire was coming for me, only for the player to send it right past me, circle around, and then come back just as my shield is dropped to take me out. Clever bastards.

That's usually enough time to laser it to death though, in my experience.

LiK

for some reason people are playing seriously in QP today. played in a partial group and probably got matched with other groups. maybe everyone is taking a break from Comp to try and level up for loot boxes, lol

i was hoping to practice but stupid ass Tracers constantly annoy me. One even teabagged me and i decided to just go Junkrat and blow her up.

Jarate

Banned
Playing competitive

we're about to win in sudden death overtime

I get killed killing their Lucio

Our entire team is on the point

Walking up to the point see all 5 of them moving around

the other team wins

Our entire team jumped off the point

Kill me pls

Jarate

Banned
The good news though is that im pretty incredible at reaper all of a sudden. Ive been grabbing 30-50 elim games pretty consistently now.

FoxSpirit

How can sonic have such a big ego for something that is such a failure.
Believe it or not, the games make money and have a big fanbase. Why do you think they keep getting made? Generations has over 600k on Steam alone. Plus about 1.5 million in retail. Plus merchandise and licensing.

It's the mascot that just won't die. His eternal rivalry with Mario fuels his survival instincts :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom