• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Like take pharah for example. Last night I was lucio on KotH, and we were getting destroyed by this pharah. All I had to do was type in "we need to take care of this pharah, someone switch to her counter pls?", and problem solved.

As I've said, just too much variance in knowledge and willingness to actually play the meta.

This could happen.

Or this could happen instead:

"We need to take care of this Pharah, someone counter her pls."

* Hanzo player switches to Genji
* Widowmaker player switches to Torb

LEAVE GAME?
[] Leave game as group

Anne

It just takes time for people to learn stuff and get better mechanically is all. Think of OW like an early MOBA, the lower level players have to learn stuff after the top figures it out. Yeah, there will be differences in pros and solo q. Go look at Dota 2 for a great example. But the general balance can be there at both levels with a couple discrepancies. I think taking upper level solo q and tournaments into account is good.

I also do run into this stuff in general play too. I also have teams that refuse to run 2/2/2. It varies, but it is getting more consistent. I do like to think people are interested in what I post about how to play and maybe learn something too. I'm not like amazing, but I can share things.

Edit: Also if you do get some shitter on your team that won't do stuff or trolls, then yeah you're just fucked. That doesn't mean that there wasn't a very obvious right answer they could've done there.

ramyeon

Like take pharah for example. Last night I was lucio on KotH, and we were getting destroyed by this pharah. All I had to do was type in "we need to take care of this pharah, someone switch to her counter pls?", and problem solved.

As I've said, just too much variance in knowledge and willingness to actually play the meta.
This stuff is really hard to communicate on console, especially when no one is in the voice channel (Where it becomes actually impossible). I mean FFS I don't care if you don't use a mic, but at least be listening so that if someone does need to relay some information then they can.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As I've said, there's too much variance to actually balance your game according to that level.

Even then it took us losing 2 rounds before someone switched. And we won! So it's not like our skill levels were worse, it's just that people sometimes just don't know or don't care.

Nori Chan

Rank 61 in comp doing nothing but solo queue since my placement games.

I just want to hit top 500 on xbox :(

Anybody who's ranked top 500 on xbox? What's your current rank? Do I have to hit 70?

Ramirez

Rank 61 in comp doing nothing but solo queue since my placement games.

I just want to hit top 500 on xbox :(

Anybody who's ranked top 500 on xbox? What's your current rank? Do I have to hit 70?

You're probably going to need to be at least 75 and then your stats will have to be better than the other 75s, lol.

You're going to have to play out of your mind for a long time to reach top 500 solo.

Prelude.

It's literally impossible on console.
Well, you can talk, I guess? The fact that I can and it doesn't even matter it's even more frustrating.
Most of the time they just ignore you or "stfu pls". I mean, do they not expect people to try to communicate before a match starts on a game like Overwatch?

Lokbob

Winston, Reaper, Zarya, and a whole slew of other classes can annihilate him. Yes, he's annoying to deal with, especially good ones, but I find it no more worse then a good tracer on consoles, who's infinitely worse to deal with.

Genji is a high skill ceiling character, it's just the way it is. We should be improving other classes skill ceiling more before we should be trying to lower another characters

None of those three annihilate a good Genji, they annoy him a bit at best.

ramyeon

Well, you can talk, I guess? The fact that I can and it doesn't even matter it's even more frustrating.
It doesn't matter if you talk if only 1 or 2 (Or 0) other players are actually in the voice channel.

I hate being paired with groups in solo queue, because usually a group will have their own party chat going and therefore aren't communicating with the rest of the team and become impossible to communicate to.

You guys act like i'm in the 30's and have no idea how the game works and I'm just mad that I died or something.

I'm high 60's (or I was, currently 63) I understand the game very well. But it is still worth saying that on console high level Genji play is way better than any other high level character play, and also just generally unfun to deal with.

It doesn't affect me as much as others because I don't play support very much. I play Tracer who is pretty much just a stalemate with Genji unless there is a numbers advantage, and Roadhog ("OMG that's your problem why don't you just feed that Genji more ult ya IDIOT") who Genji can never really take down without help, they do deflect my hook a lot, but I get them just as much. And nothing is more satisfying than blowing of an ulting Genji's face after hooking them.

I'm sorry I suggested that the best ult in the game (the ones 'better' than it are just ways to survive it? wat?) that charges fast as hell, on the guy who is hard as hell to hit, might be worth looking at. I'll just go git gud now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
None of those three annihilate a good Genji, they annoy him a bit at best.

Zarya does annihilate Genji. Easily.

But we're going to get into the usual 'a good' Class circular arguments that happen around here where everyone plays like a computer simulation.

Ramirez

You guys act like i'm in the 30's and have no idea how the game works and I'm just mad that I died or something.

I'm high 60's (or I was, currently 63) I understand the game very well. But it is still worth saying that on console high level Genji play is way better than any other high level character play, and also just generally unfun to deal with.

It doesn't affect me as much as others because I don't play support very much. I play Tracer who is pretty much just a stalemate with Genji unless there is a numbers advantage, and Roadhog ("OMG that's your problem why don't you just feed that Genji more ult ya IDIOT") who Genji can never really take down without help, they do deflect my hook a lot, but I get them just as much. And nothing is more satisfying than blowing of an ulting Genji's face after hooking them.

I'm sorry I suggested that the best ult in the game (the ones 'better' than it are just ways to survive it? wat?) that charges fast as hell, on the guy who is hard as hell to hit, might be worth looking at. I'll just go git gud now.

I agree with you bro, Genji is straight bullshit on console currently.

ramyeon

On PC you can hear anyone by default, is it muted on consoles?
I think by default it is turned on but there's the option to turn voice channel auto join off.

Most of the time I only have 2 or 3 other players in the voice channel in any given round.

Many times it's only myself.

So like I said, console players: I don't care if YOU don't talk. But for god's sake leave your voice channel on so you can hear others. I only ever turn mine off if there's a troll playing loud music or obnoxious sounds into their mic.

Antiwhippy

Problem is that anne and i are talking about the way he is on pc. Consoles should definitely be bandaged differently.

Permanently A

Best places to find groups for competitive and or quick play?

I mostly just want to be playing with people for the 20% xp bonus since the loot is only around for a limited time. But I'm also rank 62 from solo queue lucio and want to try to see if I can get anywhere higher in ranked.

Lokbob

Zarya does annihilate Genji. Easily.

But we're going to get into the usual 'a good' Class circular arguments that happen around here where everyone plays like a computer simulation.

He's not engaging Zarya alone or in close range, he will pick of everybody else that is not tanky.

Anne

Problem is that anne and i are talking about the way he is on pc. Consoles should definitely be bandaged differently.

Yeah, PC is a lot diff and the SR levels are a lot diff too. Again, PC also has diff things to complain about. The game is way faster and people aim better so that top 3 is just going nuts.

God damn, Pro Teams are busting out the Phar Mercy comp again.

Yeah, it's pretty cool to see. The oddball map pool is helping out too. I dig the curveballs getting thrown out.

Click here for an immediate solution to the console version of Overwatch.

I know you're kidding but I can't STAND kb+m I guess it's all depends on how you were brought up. A controller just feels better in my hand ("then why can't ya hit Genji ya IDIOT?")

Also laying down in bed>>sitting at a desk

Also all I have is a surface for school, not exactly a gaming machine.

Peasant for life yo.

Alucrid

Banned
i threw $20 at the game and got this

0Emr9mFl.jpg

6DCddhwl.jpg

also got the dva, genji, mercy and lucio skins. so all i have to play for is tracer and mcree now...

Calion

I know you're kidding but I can't STAND kb+m I guess it's all depends on how you were brought up. A controller just feels better in my hand ("then why can't ya hit Genji ya IDIOT?")

Also laying down in bed>>sitting at a desk

Also all I have is a surface for school, not exactly a gaming machine.

Peasant for life yo.

I built a $600 gaming rig specifically for this game. It's worth it.

Nimby

Banned
He's not engaging Zarya alone or in close range, he will pick of everybody else that is not tanky.

Zarya should destroy Genji, but as you said, she really couldn't if she wanted too. Winston was the best pick because he:

1. Doesn't have to be pinpoint accurate
2. Has tons of mobility too keep up with Genji

He's just fallen out of the meta because of discord, so Genji is running free. Genji is still close to a free kill for Winston.

Anne

You can still pick Winston for his main job, he's just not hunting down ninjas like that these days. Too dangerous ;;

And instantly die the second the other side gets a mccree and slinking off to switch characters.

That comp won Envy and Cloud 9 games. If you were actually watching the changes to switch off Phar Mercy weren't made until the games were close to ending.

And that was with a McCree on the other side for the most part.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
An Ana on my team put a Winston to sleep next to me when I was McCree and I shot him right in the head and killed him while he was asleep at point blank range.

I felt pretty awful

duckroll

My experience with Genji on the PC is that team mates are often too eager to chase a wild Genji, and that's where things go south. I mean sure, there are definitely cases where an ult'ing Genji can fuck an entire team up if you don't have a Lucio or Zen ult handy for a counter. But having Winston close by can still do the job most of the time, or even a Sym in Assault maps on Defend.

But what REALLY fucks people up, especially on more open KotH maps like Ilios, is a Genji who runs into point, attacks 2 people, and then runs out, and foolish players chashing after him thinking they can get a kill if they just commit. The team ends up being separated, off the point, and the Genji can pick off individual players while refueling with health packs, while the rest of his team moves into the point to take over. Seeing that work is always infuriating!

Antiwhippy

Zarya should destroy Genji, but as you said, she really couldn't if she wanted too. Winston was the best pick because he:

1. Doesn't have to be pinpoint accurate
2. Has tons of mobility too keep up with Genji

He's just fallen out of the meta because of discord, so Genji is running free. Genji is still close to a free kill for Winston.

Winston kinda hasn't though? Roadhog has, but the tanks are all used pretty often.

Yea Winston still rules KOTH for the most part even with the Buffed D.Va and well Zarya doing Zarya things. I feel bad for Street Pig though. But Zen and to a lesser effect McCree has ruined alot things in this meta.

Also I'm not sure why people are mentioning some tank heroes as a counter to Genji. If that Genji had any decent amount of game sense and skill, he's not engaging a tank hero at all unless backed by his team.

Owzers

I don't have to worry about red bias....got the red Zarya rio skin to match the white. All Zarya all the time. Now to get better with her.

lol idk why i keep hitting R to reload with dva. it's such a habit. and then i was trying to boost ult but accidentally Q. it was such a fail i wanted to jump off a cliff but it was on anubis.

DrArchon

Man, people get really mad at this game some times. Some asshat immediately started bitched at our team because we had Zenyatta (myself) and Ana on it, which obviously meant we were going to lose. Just kept whining throughout the game that we weren't babysitting him, not healing him enough, not nanoboosting him, etc.

End of the game comes up and he tells everyone to go fuck themselves. Didn't even stick around to see that he got no cards at the end. Loser.

Just played the worst comp match of all time. There were two guys in a group - both level 26 and unranked competitive, and they played Pharmercy and just flew around the level boosting and then killing and ulting over and over. There is absolutely no way two level 26s would be that good, they were most likely smurf accounts and I'm just so pissed off right now. The Pharah had 50 elims in about 10 minutes total of match.

This is the angriest I've been about this game, I'm so irritated. I'm positive they were smurfing, and were possibly cheating too all things considered.

R0ckman

Just played the worst comp match of all time. There were two guys in a group - both level 26 and unranked competitive, and they played Pharmercy and just flew around the level boosting and then killing and ulting over and over. There is absolutely no way two level 26s would be that good, they were most likely smurf accounts and I'm just so pissed off right now. The Pharah had 50 elims in about 10 minutes total of match.

This is the angriest I've been about this game, I'm so irritated. I'm positive they were smurfing, and were possibly cheating too all things considered.

Yeah, cheating is more common than people seem to think, there is no reason why a team that is doing EXTREMELY bad starts having a player out of nowhere kicking everyones ass, this is with no character switch outs or players drops/replaces.

could be smurf accounts is my guess. i'll go with that. do you have the names?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
God damn, I know it's quick play but I can't stand the shit when you pick a hero on defense, run all the way out to the spot then one of the people who hasn't picked, picks the same hero after I've run out to the point. So I can't even bandaid their dumb decision. And no I don't think double Ana was going to work.

Crzy1

Not sure if it's these summer games or what, but my teams are all awful. Keep getting grouped with small groups who are just playing for funsies and I just keep getting destroyed every match. Like the match I'm in right now, have Bastion in KOTH. Like what the fuck? Wish there were some sort of filter to keep me the fuck out of matches with people who are grouped together.

Antiwhippy

Is smurfing even banable?

They've had a banwave recently though. Dunno if people want to poke the cheating beehive so soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom