• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntax

Lucioball is actually... pretty fun? Whoda thunk.

Psyonix_logo.png

And not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Jeff responded to criticisms of the Summer Games.

Hi,

I've been away from my desk so haven't had a chance to catch up on the forums. This is a long thread and there are many other long threads like this so I apologize in advance because I have not read every single response here.

We really appreciate the feedback, guys. We're taking it all in and it's interesting to hear the various viewpoints on this topic.

I know many of you have watched the developer update as well. Not much has really changed in our opinion of things that wasn't expressed in that update. The unfortunate part about how this event rolled out is that it was leaked early. Our plan was to have this just go live, simultaneous in all regions and on all platforms. We thought that would have been pretty cool, you know? How many people were expecting a Summer Games event two days ago? Probably no one?

The event has a ton of *ABSOLUTELY FREE* content available to all players for *FREE*. The idea is play the game and get free, cool, rare stuff for the next 3 weeks. Yes, you can buy loot boxes but you also earn them for free... just by playing. There is a ton of content here that literally no one knew existed until it went live.

Sometimes we want to give everything to everybody. For example, a few weeks ago we gave everyone a new hero -- Ana. Ana came with skins, emotes, sprays, highlight intros etc. that could all be purchased with credits. We also want to add new maps to the game and new stuff like the Lucioball brawl that's available to everyone equally.

But sometimes we want things to feel rare and special.

We wanted to try something new with this event. As we mentioned in the Developer Update, we're learning and experimenting with this event. And if the event is received well (my impression so far is that it is being received well once you remove the debate over the items not being available for credits), we will run it again next year. Our Summer Games are on a yearly schedule -- not a 4 year schedule. Our plan would be to have the items available again when the event recurs. Perhaps we add new content to it as well? We're not sure yet... we're seeing what works and what doesn't.

We'd like to give the event more time and see how people feel as it wraps up. Maybe people will be feeling differently at the end of the vent. Maybe not. If we need to make things less rare -- if everyone is entitled to that Genji Epic Skin -- we'll have to reconsider our design philosophy in the future.

But I think letting the event play out for a few weeks is the right decision here.

I understand that I am not posting exactly what some of you want to hear right now. But I also hope you can appreciate giving the event some time to play out before fully passing judgement as well.

Thanks,

jeffrey

I think he could have worded it a little better but it's about what one would expect.

ramyeon

I'm still figuring out a good control scheme for Genji. Can't get used to what I've tried. I wanna be good with him, dang it.
On PS4? Mine is set up with L2 as jump, L1 as swift strike, R1 as spread, R2 as main fire, X as melee and R3 as reflect.

Find reflect works quite well on R3, in a good spot where I can hit it as soon as I need it and also have control over the camera at the same time.

I broke and ended up buying 20 loot crates - got Lucio's summer skin and emote, AmeriCree, and Tracer's highlight intro. Nothing else really of note, but I feel like I'm good on summer stuff and anything else I get will be gravy.

Really hoping to get the Junkrat intro, though.

I'm still figuring out a good control scheme for Genji. Can't get used to what I've tried. I wanna be good with him, dang it.

I moved jump to L2 and the alt fire to X on PS4, left everything else the same. So far it's been pretty good to me - but then again I suck as Genji most of the time so I may not give the best advice.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really hate how the new skins are being implemented, they're just trying to strong arm people into buying boxes. In the past 30 levels I've only gotten one legendary and that was coins, so I'm sure as hell not gonna get any of the new things unless I just play Overwatch 24/7 or I get incredibly lucky.

Squire

Banned
Psyonix_logo.png

And not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Jeff responded to criticisms of the Summer Games.

I think he could have worded it a little better but it's about what one would expect.

I think the point about Ana is a decent one. As soon as she went live, I did indeed immediately just buy the skin I wanted with credits I had saved. Presumably I'll be able to do that for Sombra and all future heroes as well.

ramyeon

I think the point about Ana is a decent one. As soon as she went live, I did indeed immediately just buy the skin I wanted with credits I had saved. Presumably I'll be able to do that for Sombra and all future heroes as well.
I would be surprised if they don't add more skins for existing heroes that aren't Seasonal and can be purchased with in-game currency as well.

_woLf

I am completely convinced at this point that blizzard stealth buffed soldier 76.

His bullets tear through my health like swiss cheese now. I never used to have so much problems with him.

Squire

Banned
I would be surprised if they don't add more skins for existing heroes that aren't Seasonal and can be purchased with in-game currency as well.

Yeah, definitely. I really don't think seasonal unlocks will be the only new ones, especially since these will run in cycles; After a year everybody would have a basic idea of what's coming and that's not conducive to keeping the game fresh.

Isn't GamesCom on the 21st? I'm still expecting the Germany map and Sombra to go up on PTR before the month ends.

Also, Jeff's mention of the leak is interesting. Curious if they send out freebies to streamers again for stuff they want to be a a completely-out-of-the-blue surprise. I'm sure the streamer that posted the box she got just got it in the mail earlier than planned.

They used to fill kinda similar roles but they really aren't the same.

DVa is almost a flex tank now.

No one would try to flank and disrupt with her before, but post-buff she can totally push from the front. Especially with a good healer in range.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, actually in my experience was that before the patch eveyone played her as a flanker disruptor, because she sure as hell couldn't tank. :p

Syntax

The point is made in the Blizzard thread that Ana and future characters aren't magnanimous on Blizzard's part as they advertised that characters and levels would be free going forward. They're simply complying with their word; maintaining an advertised feature of Overwatch or, in other words, part of the product.

I made this point in the other thread in gaming, but the big complaint is that the Summer Games items cannot be earned. One can only acquire Summer Games item X strictly through chance. All other cosmetics can be earned eventually and duplicate items in Loot Boxes earned or purchased are not wasted as they can still be put toward these other items.

Now that in-game currency is devalued because we know there are and will likely continue to be blocked out items. The picture someone posted of the Itchy & Scratchy dollars is very applicable here. Before, people made (mis)informed decisions on purchasing crates because at worst you get coins that are still worth something, they can go to something in the future if you didn't get what you wanted or currently "have everything." No longer.

eek5

My only problem with the summer box system is that you don't earn boxes uniformly. Levels 1-20 get boxes much faster and it's unrealistic for level 21+ to loop back over to 1 :\

I wish duplicate currency would at least get deposited as "summer currency" which you could use to buy summer skins. After the promotion it gets converted to regular currency. idk

Defuser

I bind his swift strike to F then bind his melee to C or mouse scroll. That way if I swift strike and i can mash C and V for the melee. I find shift to be quite awkward to press.

Squire

Banned
The point is made in the Blizzard thread that Ana and future characters aren't magnanimous on Blizzard's part as they advertised that characters and levels would be free going forward. They're simply complying with their word; maintaining an advertised feature of Overwatch or, in other words, part of the product.

I made this point in the other thread in gaming, but the big complaint is that the Summer Games items cannot be earned. One can only acquire Summer Games item X strictly through chance. All other cosmetics can be earned eventually and duplicate items in Loot Boxes earned or purchased are not wasted as they can still be put toward these other items.

Now that in-game currency is devalued because we know there are and will likely continue to be blocked out items. The picture someone posted of the Itchy & Scratchy dollars is very applicable here. Before, people made (mis)informed decisions on purchasing crates because at worst you get coins that are still worth something, they can go to something in the future if you didn't get what you wanted or currently "have everything." No longer.

There are posts right under the one you quoted where Ramyeon and I both point out they very likely won't only add seasonal content to the game going forward.

Syntax

There are posts right under the one you quoted where Ramyeon and I both point out they very likely won't only add seasonal content to the game going forward.

Yes, but that doesn't change the situation.

Edit: It's probably true that they'll add cosmetics not bound to events and which are purchasable with coins, even outside of new character releases and the standard cosmetics to that, but that there are cosmetics that are only obtainable through slot-machine mechanics isn't a great thing. Much better to work out more direct alternate methods of earning them.

ohkay

I've been getting better with him and I've kept the standard controls, but with jump bound to L3. The key to success is to use a high sensitivity tho

So far I have Lucio's Striker and Zarya's Weightlifter outfits. I need Tracer, Mercy, the Bastion Emote, McCree, and Junkrat's intro and I'll be happy.

Also Torb's new victory pose is the fucking cutest.

Squire

Banned
Yes, but that doesn't change the situation.

Edit: It's probably true that they'll add cosmetics not bound to events and which are purchasable with coins, even outside of new character releases and the standard cosmetics to that, but that there are cosmetics that are only obtainable through slot-machine mechanics isn't a great thing. Much better to work out more direct alternate methods of earning them.

Not saying it is. You implied that credits are useless going forward, but if they add unlocks you can buy with credits in the future - which they will just by virtue of adding new heroes. There's no reason to separate that - then that does indeed change the situation, huh?

Syntax

Didn't mean to imply they were worthless, just that the value proposition has change. They have been devalued because before this event they could acquire everything, now we know they can't.

Dragner

I usually pick last for fill on comp. Last day a guy picked Lucio so I picked Zenyatta on hollywood defense. I go all the way to the defend point then suddenly I watch how our lucio picka torbjorn, I ask why and he says "lol 2 supports you noob why asking". Like seriously, we are decimated from first point then I change to Lucio after dying and the guy starts poking me again about how bad I am for not keeping them alive on first point. I say enough is enough and start trolling myself kept playing bastion the rest of the match. Sry for the other guys.

Dragner

I would love to have a spanish hero so I can get the spanish flair for my profile. But sombra is going to be latinamerican for sure.

I hope eventually theyll add a spanish hero.
Flamenco Toreador hero incoming

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
All of my quick play games just feel like competitive at its worst now.

Just ran a game where I had four gold medals with a paltry 6 elims, but 8k gold damage cause no one on my team followed up and they'd get away to heals before I could finish. Just goddamn amazing.

37nXzNH.jpg

Squire

Banned
I would love to have a spanish hero so I can get the spanish flair for my profile. But sombra is going to be latinamerican for sure.

I hope eventually theyll add a spanish hero.
Flamenco Toreador hero incoming

What makes you say that? I think she's going to be Brazillian, since "Sombra" is "shadow" in Portuguese as well as Spanish. And there's that video showing her on the Rio map.

LiK

Goddammit, I'm only missing the Summer McCree skin. He seems common for some people but this game won't give it to me.

Dragner

What makes you say that? I think she's going to be Brazillian, since "Sombra" is "shadow" in Portuguese as well as Spanish. And there's that video showing her on the Rio map.

The decoded message was in spanish...a broken one but spanish after all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hanzos on Attack don't even want to win, huh?

I've kinda come around to that, in that they are probably more useful on attack, because sudden burst damage and wall hacks is honestly more useful on attack.

Still not the best pick but hey, I don't need everyone to play to the meta.

Squire

Banned
LOL played a game on Hanamura where I kept killing a Rein, Genji, and Pharah. You could tell they were pissed.

I've kinda come around to that, in that they are probably more useful on attack, because sudden burst damage and wall hacks is honestly more useful on attack.

Still not the best pick but hey, I don't need everyone to play to the meta.

I mean, neither do I, I just feel like he's really become the alternative for bad Widow players. People pick him and it may as well be 5v6 since they don't seem to do anything. The heat vision is nice though, sure. Especially since I'm playing a lot of Mercy right now. You can basically see fights play out, which is as cool as it is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom