• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to nerf that shit fast. Ana's ult and how fast she gets it is gamebreaking. You are fucked if you don't have a reinhard ult to counter. It is almost always a team wipe and she gets it every two minutes.
Yeah, I lost a competitive Hollywood defense yesterday almost solely because of Ana charging their Reinhardt every couple of minutes. Twice we had them down to the last few seconds when a charged Reinhardt clobbered everyone and grabbed the point/pushed to the studio. Then they won the coin toss.

Broke down and bought 11 summer game boxes... pulled a Lucio, both Tracers, and the Red Zarya skin! Woohoo!

Had my best night last night in some time, and 3 huge games with D. Va, Tracer, and Zarya!

Pilgrimzero

35 boxes later and still no American McCree.

Got white Genji and orange Tracer (though I want her blue suit) and a couple of other event based stuff I kind of wanted.

And golf 76 win pose.

ramyeon

Got the Genji summer skin so now I have all the skins. Just need a couple of the victory poses and Tracer and Junkrat's highlights and I'll be set. Wouldn't mind some more of the sprays and icons either.

LiK

Got the Genji summer skin so now I have all the skins. Just need a couple of the victory poses and Tracer and Junkrat's highlights and I'll be set. Wouldn't mind some more of the sprays and icons either.

Surprised you haven't gotten Junkrat highlight. I got it 4 times T_T

Is it even possible to cheat with Pharah considering it's mostly predicting where the enemy will move?

Yeah, I don't think it was aimbotting. But it was definitely something abnormal. If I get beat fair and square I'm not one to complain, and lord knows I've been up against people way better than me in this game. This was a whole different level and shouldn't be possible from a person who had only put like 10 hours into the game.

Broke down and bought another set of 24 boxes. Still no Nihon Genji, but at least I got both Zarya skins... twice each. <_< >_> Also some other nice stuff, including Junkrat's highlight intro.

I'd still like Nihon Genji, and the other 2 highlight intros and emotes - Symmetra's emote in particular (although the Clapping one I already had is nice too). At least with all those dupes and currency coins I got, I also was able to grab some other skins and highlight intros/voice lines/emotes I really wanted. And I still have 1k coins saved up in case I really want something else.

Also: Pretty much fully decked out for learning Reaper now - Plague Doctor, Slow Clap emote and It's in the Refrigerator voice line for maximum hilarity.

Tried to sneak around the left side (on attack) on Volskaya last night, and Ana was there waiting for me. I didn't even try to dodge, I took the sleep dart like a man and died. It was a great Ana player in general, but that play made me laugh out loud.

LiK

So I was playing with MarioHead and Vault last night in QP with some other peeps in a full group and we decided to just go stacking for fun but for some reason, another group happened to know what we used and already had counters which was weird. We decided to all go Soldiers in Anubis and the entire enemy team were Genjis. Not sure how that happened lol

Tried to sneak around the left side (on attack) on Volskaya last night, and Ana was there waiting for me. I didn't even try to dodge, I took the sleep dart like a man and died. It was a great Ana player in general, but that play made me laugh out loud.

I normally play as Mei on Volskaya Defense to wall the left side, but this seems like an even better idea. :D

You can parry during Genji's Dragonblade, right? I always forget that when I play him.

Also what reticles do you guys use for different characters? I changed my 76 to dot but haven't changed any others. I'll probably switch Genji and McCree to dot as well, maybe.

brian!

I switch off between dot and circle, dot kind of tends my aim towards headshots which isnt what i always want. Dot always w/ soldier tho

Anne

You can parry during Genji's Dragonblade, right? I always forget that when I play him.

Also what reticles do you guys use for different characters? I changed my 76 to dot but haven't changed any others. I'll probably switch Genji and McCree to dot as well, maybe.

Soldier is short crosshair with bloom on so I can see how shit my spread is. Other than that I use shorts crosshairs for most peeps and circle with bloom for the shotgun peeps.

Also CaptainPlanet's meta report this week is sad. I don't agree with everything he says but I do agree with the name Zenyattawatch https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-04-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-zenyattawatch

Edit: I'm also assuming this was written before the event yesterday where Pharmercy got brought out and a bunch of other weird shit.

brian!

Yeah a zenyatta change would not be surprising esp. since they just released a support. I hope if they do push her to the front her ult charge rate gets tweaked tho

Rad-

I used green dot first but when things got really chaotic I sometimes "lost the sight" because it's so small so I changed to small crosshair and been using that since. I think it gives a nice balance of accuracy and size.

got to readjust my settings again. decided to lower mouse setting and increase it in-game so its all out of whack and changing graphics setting giving me lag

anyways. i stick with dot. except with zarya and hanzo because i like their default.

Apathy

Yeah discord really fucks with the meta huh,

Who would have thought that but anyone that played the ptr and told then exactly this would happen.

When you give a whole team 50% more damage on a target with no cooldown and he's not an easy kill anymore, of course he's going to get picked like crazy.

Discord, even at 30% is crazy, because at least mercy only gives a buff to one person at a time and not to a team of 6.

It needs a reduction plus a cooldown. Say it does 30% damage taken, has a 6-8 second cooldown that can be reset if zen gets the killing blow on the debuffed target.

Blues1990

As much as I love playing as Zenyatta, it's incredibly difficult to play as him in Quick Play, as your teammates get spread out too thin and you can't do your job with healing/DPS.

Anne

I'll admit I thought Zen was nutso in PTR but I thought he'd be kept in check by higher level teams assassinating him. I was hella wrong :v

Apathy

Hey I did say that zen is basically the terminator back when I was playing him in PTR. :p

A lot of us did. Sadly blizzard likes to not listen. Said the same thing about mccree buffs. Like theres no point in a ptr if they will just make mistakes in tuning, mess up the meta and then realize their mistake and make the fixes after the damage is done.

matmanx1

Soldier is short crosshair with bloom on so I can see how shit my spread is. Other than that I use shorts crosshairs for most peeps and circle with bloom for the shotgun peeps.

Also CaptainPlanet's meta report this week is sad. I don't agree with everything he says but I do agree with the name Zenyattawatch https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-04-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-zenyattawatch

Edit: I'm also assuming this was written before the event yesterday where Pharmercy got brought out and a bunch of other weird shit.

Wanted to point this sentence out from the Meta report for folks who said Junkrat is trash and useless -> "Teams looking to pull off a full hold on defense should make sure they have a Junkrat and a D.Va on their squad, and maybe an Ana and a Zarya as well." Straight out of Captain Planet's Meta report. The pros aren't sleeping on Junkrat.

Who would have thought that but anyone that played the ptr and told then exactly this would happen.

When you give a whole team 50% more damage on a target with no cooldown and he's not an easy kill anymore, of course he's going to get picked like crazy.

Discord, even at 30% is crazy, because at least mercy only gives a buff to one person at a time and not to a team of 6.

It needs a reduction plus a cooldown. Say it does 30% damage taken, has a 6-8 second cooldown that can be reset if zen gets the killing blow on the debuffed target.

Those changes to discord orb would nerf him into uselessness or near enough. Unless the speed of the game slows down drastically (and I mean DRASTICALLY) then any cooldown to the application of either one of Zenyatta's orbs would essentially make him useless. People die and move too quickly to try and play around cooldowns that long.

A reduction to 30% dmg taken wouldn't be out of line, however.

Anne

Yeah having a CD on discord past like 1s would be nuts. Not making it 50% would be a really good start though.

Like maybe a 1-2s CD could be worth testing so he can't just bounce the thing around like a madman stacking on damage, but it seems pretty harsh. I think Harmony as is right now is okay though.

I just want the meta to not be so strictly locked. There are always going to be high pickrate heroes but forcing 5 character locks out the gate is madness.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A lot of us did. Sadly blizzard likes to not listen. Said the same thing about mccree buffs. Like theres no point in a ptr if they will just make mistakes in tuning, mess up the meta and then realize their mistake and make the fixes after the damage is done.

I think PTR was more to test bugs with ana's release more than actual balancing.

Like, the game will constantly get balanced. It'll be a constantly evolving thing so eh, zen is getting his shine on for now but we'll see him get changed. Than we'll see the next overpowered hero get changed. And then the meta will be turned upside down again whenever sombra/liao/whatever gets released.

So I just play it as it is. Hopefully they'll find the proper balance one day, but till then it's a constantly moving ride.

Also nihon genji wooooo!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
as someone who has played wow for years

welcome to blizzard balance. it's just going to be a cycle of 'this spec hero is usable now/this one no longer is' it will never be anywhere close to balanced because blizzard prefers to just swing the nerf bat as hard as possible rather than looking at the actual balance despite having a massive community that can tell them exactly what the issue is.

Apathy

Only making it 30% and nothing else is already better than what mercy can do. The rate for picking zen would not change. As I said, he's buffing a squad of 6 vs just 1 person, he doesn't need to be attached to that person, can defend himself and also heal at the same time. To match Mercy's damage boost % is not enough.

Antiwhippy

as someone who has played wow for years

welcome to blizzard balance. it's just going to be a cycle of 'this spec hero is usable now/this one no longer is' it will never be anywhere close to balanced because blizzard prefers to just swing the nerf bat as hard as possible rather than looking at the actual balance despite having a massive community that can tell them exactly what the issue is.

In this case though it's more like they swung the buff bat too hard. :p

Discord always had that potential though, it was more of a case of whether zen can stay on the battlefield long enough because the longer discord is in play the more dangerous it is for everyone.

ISOM

I'll admit I thought Zen was nutso in PTR but I thought he'd be kept in check by higher level teams assassinating him. I was hella wrong :v

It was easier assassinating him before his health buff. It's the reason why he's so viable in high level because he's not as easy to kill.

Antiwhippy

Though really, I don't view it as too bad. Lucio will be lucio but right now it's only one hero pushing a lot of heroes out of the meta. You might think it's crazy that one hero can do that but I feel like if they just tweak zenyetta the meta would become a lot more diverse than even before the ana patch.

Maybe also give soldier his low recoil back.

DrArchon

That chart at the end just reaffirms my belief that Bastion needs almost a total rework at this point. The character will never function competitively at this point without disgustingly huge buffs, but then casuals will hate him. Something's gotta change.

Veelk

Banned
"Hey guys, a junkrat just laid a trap right outside the door we're all about to head out. It's right there, you can see it from my angle, if you get hit in it, he's going to kill you by just activating the mine or lobbing grenades at you, so let me destroy it and don't just run out-...."

*runs out, gets trapped, dies*

Every time. Every single time.

Anne

That chart at the end just reaffirms my belief that Bastion needs almost a total rework at this point. The character will never function competitively at this point without disgustingly huge buffs, but then casuals will hate him. Something's gotta change.

I think that's something to talk about after things change with Zen/Lucio. All static defense heroes are getting destroyed by the current meta.

Though really, I don't view it as too bad. Lucio will be lucio but right now it's only one hero pushing a lot of heroes out of the meta. You might think it's crazy that one hero can do that but I feel like if they just tweak zenyetta the meta would become a lot more diverse than even before the ana patch.

Maybe also give soldier his low recoil back.

Still saying even if Zen is nerfed Lucio will be king as long as speedboost is allowed to do what it does right now.

Kurita

"Hey guys, a junkrat just laid a trap right outside the door we're all about to head out. It's right there, you can see it from my angle, if you get hit in it, he's going to kill you by just activating the mine or lobbing grenades at you, so let me destroy it and don't just run out-...."

Alternatively, teammates never shoot an enemy stuck in the trap

Antiwhippy

So I don't play mobas at all, but is there a hero analogous to zenyetta in mobas? Capable of giving a massive health debuff? High DPS? Pretty ok healing?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In this case though it's more like they swung the buff bat too hard. :p

Discord always had that potential though, it was more of a case of whether zen can stay on the battlefield long enough because the longer discord is in play the more dangerous it is for everyone.

right but thats what i mean they ultimately do. they never go middle ground, it's always insanely one way or insanely the other.

i guess tracer is the mage of overwatch

One of the benefits of playing Zarya all the time. When I see a Junkrat skulking around the entry, I just jump right in front of the rest of the party, hit my shield as soon as the doors open, and treat that spiky-haired bastard to a taste of his own ambush medicine.

Of course, that doesn't deal with the problem of "Hey, everybody! See that Mei standing completely obvious right in front of the main spawn door? She's just going to block it as soon as the match starts, so pick another door unless you want to stare at a sheet of ice for a few seconds." Every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom