• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sort of galling that Blizzard punishes players for leaving when it's their own unacceptably shit matchmaking that creates scenarios people want to quit.

"Here, eat some delicious shit! Don't want to eat that shit? We'll throw you in jail!"

R0ckman

It's sort of galling that Blizzard punishes players for leaving when it's their own unacceptably shit matchmaking that creates scenarios people want to quit.

"Here, eat some delicious shit! Don't want to eat that shit? We'll throw you in jail!"

Yeah I have a 75% exp penalty because I left matches before they started when the team comp was crap. I stayed even if we lost otherwise, but I shouldn't be pressured to stay on a team in the beggining. I'm not screwing them if the match hasnt started. This is obviously in quick play.

The thing is, if your team sucks, you can't practice and learn new heros, you will be too busy dying.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, I've never jumped on the player hating badwagon. Never had problems with McCree (and I never play as him, either). Never really got too frustrated with Bastion, as D.Va is a super easy counter to him and the T Turret. I do think a really good Widow can carry a whole team, but fortunately you don't see that too often.

But, coming back, I'm really struggling against Mei. I mean, her freeze beams accuracy doesn't have to be very tight, and she just runs around me and freezes me constantly. Unless I'm Tracer, Genji, or D.Va, I just can't get out of the way fast enough. And I'm definitely encountering more and more as I play.

So - before I bitch about it - I want to learn. Whats my best move? What's the best counter?

LiK

Great, another Comp KOTH where dumbass teammates keep leaving KOTH so enemy team takes it and guess what number goes up? Guess who loses the round and ultimately the match? Yea, we do. Fucking do not understand this mentality. Stay on it for as long as possible even if you die. Running away does jackshit.

Nah, leavers deserve it. Hold that l collectively or don't play at all.

For qp just leave during character select.

I don't leave, precisely because of the XP penalty.

Instead I simply switch to Mei and put up ice walls behind choke points so my teammates get butchered like farm animals. I trust they're happier with that than me simply leaving, by Blizzards reasoning.

At some point, after being left to die at the objective enough times, you find your own cathartic fun.

I only play QP. Competitive is straight up cancer.

Instead I simply switch to Mei and put up ice walls behind choke points so my teammates get butchered like farm animals. I trust they're happier with that than me simply leaving, by Blizzards reasoning.

At some point, after being left to die at the objective enough times, you find your own cathartic fun.

So basically you're a human shitstain.

Congrats.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know, for someone raging at blizzard for matchmaking you into situations that makes you want to quit you know you're not really helping yourself right?

ramyeon

If you're playing QP there is no penalty.

Just leave if you're going to be a dickhead in games.

So basically you're a human shitstain.

Congrats.

It's not my job to make their game fun for others.

That's their job. That's why they're paid salaries and stock options, and people pay money for their games.

My interest is in making my experience as enjoyable as possible to recoup the value of the purchase. If their matchmaking is not up to par to provide competitive, enjoyable matches, emergent gameplay scenarios will take over.

If you believe it's your job to make your $60 purchase enjoyable for others, cool.

LiK

Playing with another Gaffer and we end up on a team with 4 grouped dudes and these guys are so bad. They have a 44 with them who's playing Ana and doing jackshit except dying constantly. Bad MM tonight

If you're playing QP there is no penalty.

Just leave if you're going to be a dickhead in games.
What?

There was a leaver penalty before. If your games played vs games completed fell below threshold, you got a warning message and a 75% EXP penalty on subsequent matches if you left more.

Did they get rid of it?

Veelk

Banned
I'm getting deja vu. Didn't he come in earlier with basically the same argument?

"I'm not having fun, so I'm gonna fuck over everyone else. And it's not by fault because I paid Blizzard, so I have carte blanche to be as big a jerk as I want!"

Anyway, I just had my most hard fought and satisfying victory in a while. Pushed me over to my new season high, 53! I'm guessing a losing streak is coming soon to compensate, but for now, I'm just enjoying being at the top of my game right now.

R0ckman

Great, another Comp KOTH where dumbass teammates keep leaving KOTH so enemy team takes it and guess what number goes up? Guess who loses the round and ultimately the match? Yea, we do. Fucking do not understand this mentality. Stay on it for as long as possible even if you die. Running away does jackshit.

Its really annoying when you start the match and your team fights OUTSIDE of the point, while their whole team is sitting in it shooting at you. I don't understand why players do that crap.

That's their job. That's why they're paid salaries and stock options, and people pay money for their games.

My interest is in making my experience as enjoyable as possible to recoup the value of the purchase. If their matchmaking is not up to par to provide competitive, enjoyable matches, emergent gameplay scenarios will take over.

If you believe it's your job to make your $60 purchase enjoyable for others, cool.
I don't think it's my job, no.

I'm just not such a shitbag that I would actively try to hamper my teammates' enjoyment and make their experience suck because I'm a nasty, miserable whiner.

t0rment

there's a penalty for leaving games? rofl. i'll probably do that thing with mei so at least i can have a little fun instead of being insta gibbed every time i leave the spawn room.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Overwatch games at their absolute longest are still short as fuck. Especially compared to stuff like TF2 or a Battlefield game

just finish it

ramyeon

"I'm not having fun so that means no one else can!" Basically you're a big manchild who thinks the world revolves around him huh?

If you're not having fun then stop playing instead of ruining everyone else's time.

Veelk

Banned
Also, I think he's underselling how fucking HARD it is to match players up. I don't think I've ever even heard of a match making system that does it right every time. In fact, Blizzard's match making is probably one of the better ones I've seen. Sure, I sometimes steamroll and sometimes get steamrollled, but even if I'm initially doing bad, I'm shocked at how fast the game can be turned around. It's almost always worth it to try and push through no matter how bad things look. Just now, we steamrolled the enemy group for 95% of the journey, but they made us fight for every inch at the last 5%, then gave us a hell of a time their turn. We won. but it turned out to be a fight despite the indication of the first four minutes.

Which is why I'd love to see your stats antitype. Maybe the game actually is matching you up with players of your skill level.

Antiwhippy

Overwatch games at their absolute longest are still short as fuck. Especially compared to stuff like TF2 or a Battlefield game

just finish it

Play 5 rounds of ranked 2CP and tell me that's short.

Now tell me that again when you get them 8 times in a row like I did. D:

Nudull

Banned
Playing with another Gaffer and we end up on a team with 4 grouped dudes and these guys are so bad. They have a 44 with them who's playing Ana and doing jackshit except dying constantly. Bad MM tonight

What is it about competitive that makes sniper players go to shit?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Play 5 rounds of ranked 2CP and tell me that's short.

Now tell me that again when you get them 8 times in a row like I did. D:

dawg, you said yourself you haven't played mobas before so i'll go easy

but moba games are like... you better not have any plans for the rest of the night sometimes.

"I'm not having fun so that means no one else can!" Basically you're a big manchild who thinks the world revolves around him huh?

If you're not having fun then stop playing instead of ruining everyone else's time.

Who says they can't have fun? They certainly seem to be having fun doing whatever the fuck it is they're doing. Whatever it is just has nothing to do with with winning a match of an objective based class shooter.

So long as they're doing their own thing, I see no harm in doing mine.

Anyway, loot box achieved, done for the night.

You're the absolute worst. Leave the community and people who actually care and want to enjoy themselves alone.

xaosslug

some of y'all are a mess... what is wrong with me that I had no idea there was a leaving penalty for QP (I don't leave ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), and that I stick it out even in KoTH matches where my team's getting stomped... smh

Antiwhippy

Its really annoying when you start the match and your team fights OUTSIDE of the point, while their whole team is sitting in it shooting at you. I don't understand why players do that crap.

I mean let's be clear here, actually staying on the KotH objective point as the main place to stage your team fights is the thing you do not want to do, because they put you in the exact position that you do not want to be in. Most of them are big wide open spaces with multiple entry points, and some of them even put you in the low ground while the enemy team is entering through the high ground.

If the fight moves there then yeah fight there, but the sides of the points are usually where you want to stage your team fights.

ramyeon

some of y'all are a mess... what is wrong with me that I had no idea there was a leaving penalty for QP (I don't leave ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), and that I stick it out even in KoTH matches where my team's getting stomped... smh
There's only a penalty if you leave game after game, I've never had it happen to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
so i haven't played 76 post-'nerf'

burst firing still even worth it or should i basically just unload pretty regularly?

xaosslug

Also, I think he's underselling how fucking HARD it is to match players up. I don't think I've ever even heard of a match making system that does it right every time. In fact, Blizzard's match making is probably one of the better ones I've seen. Sure, I sometimes steamroll and sometimes get steamrollled, but even if I'm initially doing bad, I'm shocked at how fast the game can be turned around. It's almost always worth it to try and push through no matter how bad things look. Just now, we steamrolled the enemy group for 95% of the journey, but they made us fight for every inch at the last 5%, then gave us a hell of a time their turn. We won. but it turned out to be a fight despite the indication of the first four minutes.

Which is why I'd love to see your stats antitype. Maybe the game actually is matching you up with players of your skill level.

it can't possibly be him, tho!!! :O

>.>

brian!

so i haven't played 76 post-'nerf'

burst firing still even worth it or should i basically just unload pretty regularly?

the rng kind of adds on now, so if you're looking to unload your clip maybe just do the 3-shot burst thing 2-3 times and then just spray.

but I guess if you're maintaining distance and want to be accurate you can just wait out the delay in between bursts, run the dot crosshair + bloom to get a good feel for the timing

xaosslug

idk, but there's something about pulling out those desperate, against-the-odds wins that keep me fighting. I honestly can't deal w/ peeps giving in to defeat in chat, or already beginning to set up defenses @ point B when that white damn circle hasn't even closed. u__u

aside: for Halloween reaper should be Jason/have a hockey mask, or scream (silm, not stupid tv show)! xD

There's only a penalty if you leave game after game, I've never had it happen to me.

ahh, k.

Antiwhippy

It's rare, but the few times that you win 5 v 6 in ranked and have a collective "holy shit!" In team chat feels really good.

ramyeon

Simple infographic explaining what's happening with Sombra atm.
wXHLSaP.png
Surprised this isn't getting much attention on GAF.

I would like it if blizzard would do something with widow's traversal, like either reduce the cool down on her grapple or allow her to hang from ledges (preferably the latter). It sucks that we see her do that all the time in trailers, and even one of her intros, yet we can't in game. It would feel bad ass as fuck and fit with the whole spider theme.

R0ckman

I mean let's be clear here, actually staying on the KotH objective point as the main place to stage your team fights is the thing you do not want to do, because they put you in the exact position that you do not want to be in. Most of them are big wide open spaces with multiple entry points, and some of them even put you in the low ground while the enemy team is entering through the high ground.

Eh, depends on map, but typically I've never won matches when a majority of the team was not tightly locked on the zone with a slight orbit.

When the enemy team can only normally come from one direction after a respawn, its not a great advantage fighting outside of it. I also lost more when the enemy team stayed near the objective. Obviously I don't mean everyone having a party in it. But focusing on it, because playing peekaboo chicken outside the point will not put pressure on people inside. Unless you have one or two players inside putting on heavy pressure like a Reaper.

ramyeon

If the fight moves there then yeah fight there, but the sides of the points are usually where you want to stage your team fights.
I actually disagree to an extent here. Having the team pull together on the point has always worked better for me than overextending off it. Especially because so many characters have traversal abilities that can get them onto the point easily if you're not there protecting it.

Veelk

Banned
So I decided to go post hunting through The Antitype's history to see if I can find anything.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189148733&postcount=10444

I wasn't 100% if this was him, so I dug a bit more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188225798&postcount=8467

Yup, The Antitype is JaegarDice. Now, if anyone on Xbox One runs into him, make sure to Mei his life up.

So lets take a looksy at his stats then.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/xbl/JaegerDice?

Heh....honestly, their not even that bad. He's winning most of his game so whats he complaining abou...

*checks competitive*

Oooooh.....

Dat 6th percentile, guys.

ramyeon

I don't think we're excited for a stealth hero :p
Yeah, I mean it really depends how she works. I think they know what they're doing - Genji used to be stealth but they changed him up because they realised it just wasn't fun being killed instantly by him without being to fight back. I trust they won't mess it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom