• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spike in CP rewarded def shows that reaching 65 and beyond is not an easy feat. I'm guessing most of us who reached 60+ are in the minority.

I'm the best.

There is going to be placement games again but I suspect they keep a base MMR for it and go from there, I don't think you get a clean slate. Actually we never got a clean slate, season 1 used qp MMR and everyone still has a different hidden MMR other than the visible SR. SR is not really your true skill rating after you grinded ranked for a while, it's just rank. I'm not expecting people to get a widely different placements, if you play a group maybe one can get carried a bit, maybe 5-10 difference but you're not going from 40 to 60 from new placements. Seems really unlikely unless you threw the placements completely or got really that much better in 2 months. Can their placement system recognize someone that got a lot better but has an starting MMR of 40 from last season for example? I'm not sure.
fwiw, the number of leavers has been cut, so that'll help, since I remember three of my placement matches being screwed up by that.

Gurrry

I reached my highest at 52 recently going solo queue. Im 51 now, but damn I really would love to atleast get enough for 1 golden skin. I have 95 CP currently. If I get to 53, ill only need about 20ish wins to guarantee a gold.

The grind is on.

Jarate

Banned
On Ps4, as a rank 65, that puts me into the top 92% of the game and ranked around ~5000 total for comp. I also think my rank is a lot lower then it should be right now, but I've mostly played solo queue, and while that I can generally win more then I lose, its still kind of a crapshoot

But for all those who are down about dropping ranks, I was initially ranked 64 and dropped all the way down to 57 after reaching 65. The grind is annoying, and sometimes you'll lose, but if you are a good enough player you should move up

IKizzLE

SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

Yes, gonna get a gold weapon for Pharah and Zarya after one season.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

current skill rating or the highest we got in this season?

any source pls? i need to make sure

Edit: Ah nvm.

Aside from sprays and icons, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the maximum skill rating you achieved during the season.

Apathy

Yea, cuz winning 300 games in a season requires absolutely no life.

If we assume that this will be the same payout every season, you can do 150 wins in a season which is ok, and then get your 120-200 points from the end and be happy

Defense has real problems right now. Winning on offense is straight-up trivial now that Ana and Zenyatta destroy everything in their way while making their team nearly-invincible, people have gotten better at Genji, everyone has realized the defense heroes are rather useless. It's looking pretty bad, you need to really optimize your ults and outplay offense to have a chance.

Anne

Happy to get a free gold weapon. I was honestly expecting less in each tier but I'm not going to argue.

Defense has real problems right now. Winning on offense is straight-up trivial now that Ana and Zenyatta destroy everything in their way while making their team nearly-invincible, people have gotten better at Genji, everyone has realized the defense heroes are rather useless. It's looking pretty bad, you need to really optimize your ults and outplay offense to have a chance.

Ana is not the problem, it's Lucio/Zen more so. Zen is the biggest problem right now I guess.

IKizzLE

Master Overwatch says 65+ is the Top 6% of players. And that's from a self-selected sample of people who care about their stats.

Hell, reaching 56 puts me in the Top 25%, apparently.

Wouldn't be surprised if 65+ is top 1% in actuality. Overbuff only has around 140K+ players recorded (AKA, the people who actually care about their stats), so I'm sure there is several times more people that finished their placement matches and got ranked. I mean, there is 15M total accounts, guarenteed to have a long tail.

Prelude.

I was kinda bummed for a second since I was only 5 pixels away from getting 60 CPs, but then I remembered I can only buy golden weapons with the competitive currency so who gives a shit lol? I'm more happy about being freed by the 40s hellhole.

Skii

Yeah it's essentially a game of seeing who ults first and whether you can counter-ult. That usually gives the advantage to the offensive team.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was kinda bummed for a second since I was only 5 pixels away from getting 60 CPs, but then I remembered I can only buy golden weapons with the competitive currency so who gives a shit lol?

I'm guessing the gold weapons are just the start and they'll keep adding different types (maybe even character skins).

I'm actually not sure if I really want to get a golden gun or not.

Jarate

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if 65+ is top 1% in actuality. Overbuff only has around 140K+ players recorded (AKA, the people who actually care about their stats), so I'm sure there is several times more people that finished their placement matches and got ranked. I mean, there 15M total accounts.

65 is currently the top 8% on PS4 according to masteroverwatch, overbuff has me as top 6%

also, a lot of players just arent that interested in comp, mightve played a little bit and then left.

brian!

I wonder if Blizzard is going to get rid of individual performance affecting the skill rating.

There was a popular Reddit post recently about how it should be 100% based on Win/Loss.

They raised a lot of good arguments for why it may be a better system in Overwatch.

It feels pretty experimental, which im pretty into. It's the first iteration of an mmr system not based on w/l that ive seen.

Ive always thought that typical w/l mmr systems werent really appropriate for team based games but that there was no feasible alternative

maouvin

I was kinda bummed for a second since I was only 5 pixels away from getting 60 CPs, but then I remembered I can only buy golden weapons with the competitive currency so who gives a shit lol?

Let's all keep them for whenever Blizz puts out goofy weapons~ (locked behind purple thingies ofc)

IKizzLE

65 is currently the top 8% on PS4 according to masteroverwatch, overbuff has me as top 6%

also, a lot of players just arent that interested in comp, mightve played a little bit and then left.

I don't think you understood what I said. Both those sites I just mentioned only record once someone looks up their stats. For example, if their is another 200k people who casually played their competitive matches and don't care, then top 6 and top 8% is not correct. The data that blizzard has is not the same as overbuff or masteroverwatch.

Play match after match, get close to nearly getting out of the 40s hole, then match after match of morons using Torb and Hanzo with zero effectiveness.

Seagul damaged people, I swear.

Ahahaha, 300 CP.
I only did my placement matches, got lucky and ended up with a rating of 65!
Guess it was the right decision not play any more competitive, lmao.

Jarate

Banned
Season 2 just needs to implement major penalties for quitters

my friend had a good idea, and that was to have it where the people who quit were given effectively 6 players worth of lossed EXP, make em lose a shit ton of rank for loosing

Im for the banning of quitters from comp play for a season. I hope they do that for this next season.

Ana is not the problem, it's Lucio/Zen more so. Zen is the biggest problem right now I guess.

I think it's that everything contributes to offense more than defense. McCree is buff as hell again, and his ult forces defense to retreat for a few seconds. A few seconds of uncontested cart is practically enough to take the point. On defense, what does his ult do? Delay the other team by 6 seconds at most? And even if he miraculously wipes them, so what? That delays them maybe 30 seconds at most? The payoff for offense is just so much higher than defense, and outside of Anubis, defense doesn't really get great positioning advantages either.

Skii

Play match after match, get close to nearly getting out of the 40s hole, then match after match of morons using Torb and Hanzo with zero effectiveness.

Seagul damaged people, I swear.

Is that 40s that bad? I'm at 52 at the moment and I'm trying to stay up there but I'm losing a rank for every loss vs gaining maybe half a rank for every win.

IKizzLE

my friend had a good idea, and that was to have it where the people who quit were given effectively 6 players worth of lossed EXP, make em lose a shit ton of rank for loosing

Im for the banning of quitters from comp play for a season. I hope they do that for this next season.

Terrible idea if Blizzard's system can't detect the difference between someone leaving, internet going out or their servers kicking you out. Losing 6x the XP for a power outage is a quick way to piss off your userbase.

ohkay

All this does is make life worse for the people lower in ranking. If anything, they should be flagged as a leaver and put in their own queuing hell where they match with each other

It is kind of lame that gold weapons will be fucking everywhere from now on. It won't mean anything except 'you played a lot, and were kind of good.'

Not exactly a 'great players only' type thing.

Prelude.

Let's all keep them for whenever Blizz puts out goofy weapons~ (locked behind purple thingies ofc)
I don't know, I'm not really interested in anything weapons-related, I'd rather have something else, but I also don't want them to lock too much good stuff behind these ridiculously high prices. So maybe it's a good thing I don't care about what they think is a suitable reward for being good at competitive.
Ahahaha, 300 CP.
I only did my placement matches, got lucky and ended up with a rating of 65!
Guess it was the right decision not play any more competitive, lmao.
Only the season high matters, though. You could have played more.
You can get banned from this season already, it's just very, very lenient apparently.

Is that 40s that bad? I'm at 52 at the moment and I'm trying to stay up there but I'm losing a rank for every loss vs gaining maybe half a rank for every win.
I'm 47 atm. I'm probably whining too much, but it feels pretty bad.

There's like this perfect mix of competency and incompetency that's just infuriating. Sometimes we'll steamroll, sometimes we'll be steamrolled. Hardly ever any close matches right now. I got a sliver away from 49 and then slid back down to 47 in the last hour.

Jarate

Banned
Terrible idea if Blizzard's system can't detect the difference between someone leaving, internet going out or their servers kicking you out. Losing 6x the XP for a power outage is a quick way to piss off your userbase.

Userbase is pissed off no matter what. Id rather have that incredibly incredibly unlikely event rather then the other very likely event that fucks up people a lot more. All I can say if there's a huge storm going through you area, maybe you shouldnt commit to a comp game.

All this does is make life worse for the people lower in ranking. If anything, they should be flagged as a leaver and put in their own queuing hell where they match with each other

I think bannings would work. People who have left matches early like 5 times this season should not be allowed to play in season 2 imo

Trickster

Man those rewards are pathetic on all fronts. Even the 300 one is shit.

Permanently A

Oh my god, shit. I'm 61 right now. I wish I could find a strong group to play with. Would love to get Rein's golden hammer.

zoukka

The golden weapons are ugly anyways. My weighlifter zarya has golden details on her gun which looks much better than the golden version of it.

In hearthstone the golden heroes are animated which is really cool.

Apathy

watching this tsm v c9 match right right, surfour trying to make pharah usable again and TSM not having someone switch to mccree

just as I said tsm finally switched to a mccree

Nudull

Banned
Against my better judgement, I dropped $10 on boxes. Got about 1000 gold and some good skins, buuut just emotes, voices and sprays on the summer side. :p

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Damn, I hope I can get to 60 by the end of the season. Gotta get that gold axe for Reinhardt.

Prelude.

It's bad. (the peak should be 49 so I guess it didn't update at that time)
You basically find a competent full team every 6/7 matches, otherwise it's just 1-2 members screwing up the comp and never switching or someone (usually a Genji) being toxic and bringing down everyone with stupid arguments in the chat. Even on the enemy team when there's someone complaining publicly about their team, it's always a Genji.
Yesterday, on our side, a Genji was claiming it was our fault we were losing because we were a premade (of 3) and today, on the enemy team, that they needed more healers and tanks.

In hearthstone the golden heroes are animated which is really cool.
I'm pretty sure they're also sparkly, I saw a Reinhardt with a golden hammer before. Not that it makes them better, but still.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
On defend side everyone plays attack heroes because defend heroes suck.

gg blizz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom