• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

Only 65 to get the highest reward? I'm already at 64, so I'm really tempted to play on a weekend for once.

Gator86

SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

Might just let it ride at 68 and collect my money in a week. Easy gold. I thought I'd have to play hundreds of matches to enough to buy something.

Anne

Tbh if you wanna get out of the 40-50 range, just focus on practicing your mechanics. I know it's a team game, but if your team has some shit like 4 DPS/1 Tank/ 1 Support comp you can still just have better mechanics and steamroll on a DPS.

There's a reason every high ranking solo Q player is on DPS. I've played in the 40-50 range with friends because they were low enough to bring me into those games (which is unfair for me to be there) and every single game came to raw DPS. I can't stress how much bad DPS players fuck you at that rank.

At the high ranks there's enough good DPS you can give it up and be okay sometimes. 70+ bracket is actually lacking in good tank players believe it or not.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
NO ONE picked Bastion ?! Color me sruprised.

I'm in the highest tier list and no one picked a defend hero on the defend side. No Bastion, no Mei, no Torb etc. and that wasn't the first time.

Edit: For example just looked at shadder2k twitch channel, he has a rating over 80 or so and this is the team they are using for defend.

Edit: 80? he's about to get Top 3 EU, well damn nvm.

2016-08-0523_35_09-shy6jiz.png

No defend hero.

2016-08-0523_24_54-shkrsoc.png

Or just look at the pro scene, you don't find any of those heroes there and that's a huge problem imo.

Hope they can find a way to make things more interesting with defensive heroes.

Auctopus

Nearly every single team I've been on tonight in QP has been utter dogshit. I was trying so hard to explain what to do through the terrible quick commands we have. I was constantly being teamed up with level 20s against prestiges too.

ramyeon

It is kind of lame that gold weapons will be fucking everywhere from now on. It won't mean anything except 'you played a lot, and were kind of good.'

Not exactly a 'great players only' type thing.
I mean it already isn't. Played against someone yesterday with one who was in low rank 40s.

I want a gold Reinhardt hammer too. As a Reinhardt main, I really have to say that I hate his personality. I never really paid much attention to this game until a month ago and thought that Reinhardt was a badass robot with a giant hammer and energy shield. It turns out he's an ancient lame-o that likes Hasselhoff. I wish he was a robot.

That aside, how can I add my id to the PC list? It'd be nice to have some reliable people to play with every once in a while.

ramyeon

I want a gold Reinhardt hammer too. As a Reinhardt main, I really have to say that I hate his personality. I never really paid much attention to this game until a month ago and thought that Reinhardt was a badass robot with a giant hammer and energy shield. It turns out he's an ancient lame-o that likes Hasselhoff. I wish he was a robot.

That aside, how can I add my id to the PC list? It'd be nice to have some reliable people to play with every once in a while.
Wtf Reinhardt's actual character is waaaay better than "a badass robot".

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Finally finished my placements matches and ended up with 56...

Is that good? What are the chances that i get above that solo? Or do I have more chances to lose ranks... If my chances of getting above 59 are low, I think I'll stick to QP so I can get my guaranteed 120 CPs.

ramyeon

Is that good? What are the chances that i get above that solo? Or do I have more chances to lose ranks... If my chances of getting above 59 are low, I think I'll stick to QP so I can get my guaranteed 120 CPs.
You get the CP for the highest rank you held at any point in the season, it doesn't matter if you go lower.

zoukka

You will never lose your highest rank, so just play ranked. QP is a fucking mess.

Prelude.

Did they fix Mei's hitboxes btw? I stopped playing her for a while now, but I kinda wanna use her again from time to time.

Tbh if you wanna get out of the 40-50 range, just focus on practicing your mechanics. I know it's a team game, but if your team has some shit like 4 DPS/1 Tank/ 1 Support comp you can still just have better mechanics and steamroll on a DPS.

There's a reason every high ranking solo Q player is on DPS. I've played in the 40-50 range with friends because they were low enough to bring me into those games (which is unfair for me to be there) and every single game came to raw DPS. I can't stress how much bad DPS players fuck you at that rank.

At the high ranks there's enough good DPS you can give it up and be okay sometimes. 70+ bracket is actually lacking in good tank players believe it or not.
That doesn't help very much if the other team has a solid comp, though.
And I alone can't also do a lot if we're getting brutally outdps'd because I have 2 snipers on my team. You played with friends so you were getting some kind of coordinated help, if you're solo queuing, and the rest of the team ignores your tips, it's completely out of your hands. It's 5 people running on their solo mission, 1vs6ing on the point.

peakish

Really have to find a better hotkey than Q for ults. It's not very common but it happens that I fat finger an ult like I just did for Lucio >_> Wasn't what cost us the game but super fucking embarrassing.

E: Yay, got TnF Tracer

Now I have a reason to play as her.

Anne

Did they fix Mei's hitboxes btw? I stopped playing her for a while now, but I kinda wanna use her again from time to time.

That doesn't help very much if the other team has a solid comp, though.
And I alone can't also do a lot if we're getting brutally outdps'd because I have 2 snipers on my team. You played with friends so you were getting some kind of coordinated help, if you're solo queuing, and the rest of the team ignores your tips, it's completely out of your hands. It's 5 people running on their solo mission, 1vs6ing on the point.

I mean it wasn't a full group, a lot of it was straight up me murdering everybody. Like I'm telling you. if you can play McCree or something and manage to win all your 1v1s and put enough damage down, the rest of your team should be able to pick up the scraps. That's how you get a carry going. If you can't get a carry yourself or enable somebody to carry you'll probably be stuck in the low ranks for quite some time.

Work on that aim and positioning and just assume your teammates aren't going to bail you out of shit. That's how solo q has been in every game ever. Idc how team oriented OW is you can def do it :T

Prelude.

I play quickplay so nobody bitches at me for being aggressive as Zenyatta and so I get to actually play heroes that aren't Lucio/ Zenyatta.
Unless you're getting killed in stupid ways I don't see why someone should complain, Zenyatta can tear down tanks by himself.

I mean it wasn't a full group, a lot of it was straight up me murdering everybody. Like I'm telling you. if you can play McCree or something and manage to win all your 1v1s and put enough damage down, the rest of your team should be able to pick up the scraps. That's how you get a carry going. If you can't get a carry yourself or enable somebody to carry you'll probably be stuck in the low ranks for quite some time.

Work on that aim and positioning and just assume your teammates aren't going to bail you out of shit. That's how solo q has been in every game ever. Idc how team oriented OW is you can def do it :T
In my experience that doesn't work very often, at least in this game. Your strategy assumes that the other team is just as clueless as yours, which unfortunately hasn't been the case for me.
A McCree is not supposed to be played as a flanker, so him running around winning 1vs1 is something that simply doesn't happen because singled out enemies get punished pretty quickly.

But I mean, it's not like I have to deal with this for much longer, unless the placement matches are a completely shitshow like the first ones, I should be fine.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. I was resigned to not being able to afford a golden weapon for a few seasons since I don't get to play very much... but even with my measly 75 ranked wins, I hit SR 65 so I'll pick up that gold Zarya cannon at the end of the season. :D

Back to not caring in QP just to grind for lootboxes then, hehe.

Anne

In my experience that doesn't work very often, at least in this game. Your strategy assumes that the other team is just as clueless as yours, which unfortunately hasn't been the case for me.
A McCree is not supposed to be played as a flanker, so him running around winning 1vs1 is something that simply doesn't happen because singled out enemies get punished pretty quickly.

You don't flank, you just shoot anybody that gets out of position which is honestly pretty common at that rank. The rankings say the enemy team should be as clueless and you punish them for their mistakes with good mechanics really. It won't work 100% but I can tell you it def works. It's the best way to escape that part of the MMR bracket. You're not doing it by picking Lucio unless you're group queuing.

Playing DPS isn't a bad idea, even if I am kinda eh at it and need more practice.

I just don't know that carrying four or five incompetent players as a solo DPS is usually feasible, especially if the other team's comp is good.

Prelude.

You don't flank, you just shoot anybody that gets out of position which is honestly pretty common at that rank. The rankings say the enemy team should be as clueless and you punish them for their mistakes with good mechanics really. It won't work 100% but I can tell you it def works. It's the best way to escape that part of the MMR bracket. You're not doing it by picking Lucio unless you're group queuing.
But that's the point, it's not MMR, it's a winrate score. Literally anyone can be there.
That's why it can be a complete stomp on either side.

Anne

Also Idk if people saw this, but this is how most better players play McCree:

https://www.twitch.tv/talespin/v/81443638?t=02h14m57s

Flick shots tend to be favored over tracking because movement in this game gets a bit weird. Good way to practice is to learn it on the bots like he's showing here. You won't be that good at it for awhile, but I do this sometimes just to keep up practice. In games I still kinda get shook when I land these back to back because I honestly think my aim isn't all that great, but practice makes it happen. This is a good thing to start practicing and you'll be bad at it at first :p

edit: he also shows off a way to practice Pharah after that too for anybody wanting to play her.

But that's the point, it's not MMR, it's a winrate score. Literally anyone can be there.
That's why it can be a complete stomp on either side.

It's a bit of MMR in there too. Not anybody finds themselves in the 50s, the people with higher mechanical skill are just DPS spamming up into the 65+ bracket before they switch it up.

Clydefrog

Played some competitive last night. My team got trounced by the other team. Then the game proceeded to match us up against that same team two more times in a row. Which my team also lost. WTH man

Apathy

I'm in the highest tier list and no one picked a defend hero on the defend side. No Bastion, no Mei, no Torb etc. and that wasn't the first time.

Edit: For example just looked at shadder2k twitch channel, he has a rating over 80 or so and this is the team they are using for defend.

Edit: 80? he's about to get Top 3 EU, well damn nvm.

2016-08-0523_35_09-shy6jiz.png

No defend hero.

2016-08-0523_24_54-shkrsoc.png

Or just look at the pro scene, you don't find any of those heroes there and that's a huge problem imo.

Hope they can find a way to make things more interesting with defensive heroes.

The problem is as it has always been, how do you define more interesting? Personally I love Junkrat. I already find him interesting if a little flawed. All defense characters in the game are aimed at slowing down a push, and I'd argue they do that well.

The issue is that the way the do it is seen as annoying to the the ones doing the pushing. All the defense characters can be classified as annoying in one way or another.

The game does not reward slowing down as outright killing a push, and it's why a dps character is preferred . Well Blizzard can't just buff damage of defense characters or it will make them annoying and very deadly. So what are they left with? Well you could nerf attackers so they aren't preferred over defense characters but that is not helpful to their player base as the majority of people would rather play a dps character. You could buff defenders health so they can live longer than their dps counterparts, a move that makes sense from the standpoint of what their roles as (healers and dps having least amount of health, tanks having most and defenders having the middle amount). Right now the only 2 characters with 250 health are reaper, a dps that can self heal and have immunity, and Mei a defense character than can also heal. The other defenders have 200 health, the same as all the dps aside from tracer. If you raise the defenders health to 250 as the standard (with bastion hanging out at 300 since hes stationary) then they get a buff in how much they can theoretically kill just by the nature of them living longer vs dps. They wont be one shotting people but it could increase their pick rate if they are a little more meaty and can take a few more hits on a push.

Sadly I don't think defense characters will get changed. Blizzard is probably fine if defense characters in the higher tiers are not seen at all and are exclusively only seen in under the 50's rank

Jarate

Banned
Bastion and Torbjorn are low skill ceiling classes

mei is also a pretty low skill celining class, the other defense are two snipers 9which generally you need to be really good to be useful) and Junkrat, who is probably the only character that has a high skill ceiling in the defernse area that isnt really hard to use

Main issue though is only one of the classes (Junkrat) has any type of movement options. People need to learn that movement options are generally what defines classes. The game is all about area denial, just like tf2, and any class that can move faster is going to be inherently more useful. McCree is the only offensive charactrer without a real super fast movement option, but his ability to counter other offensive classes means he is incredibly useful

basically, its similar to tf2. The only classes that got played were ones that went super fast, and a healer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom