• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
the shields don't last long enough that Mei would die from Zarya's uncharged plasma beam, but even if Mei's life did get in danger she can just iceblock and wait her out, and then once Zarya''s frozen it's over. Also, Zarya's movement speed makes her a prime target for Mei's ice spray & ult.

Mentioned this in a post a while back, but played a KotH match against stacked Meis a while back, and it wasn't even close. Mei runs in to spray, I pop my shield and do enough damage for her to panic and ice block up, one of my teammates rushes in and I shield them as they finish her off. Rinse and repeat. Maybe I was just playing against shitty Meis, but that was just with one Zarya. I can't imagine how well she'd do with a stack of 6 constantly shielding themselves and each other and completely ignoring her primary weapon. As somebody who plays Zarya a lot, Mei doesn't worry me nearly as much as a good Reaper or Pharah.

GeeTeeCee

Two Hanzos and a Widowmaker hanging back while the rest of our team tries in vain to push the objective on Route 66, unable to counter the enemy team which has all six of its members actually, you know, doing stuff.

My number of games lost has finally exceeded the number of games won, and it's clearly going to keep getting worse if the quality of randoms continues. I get maybe one good game out of five right now.

At least I'm finally starting to get the hang of Lucioball...

xaosslug

Mentioned this in a post a while back, but played a KotH match against stacked Meis a while back, and it wasn't even close. Mei runs in to spray, I pop my shield and do enough damage for her to panic and ice block up, one of my teammates rushes in and I shield them as they finish her off. Rinse and repeat. Maybe I was just playing against shitty Meis, but that was just with one Zarya. I can't imagine how well she'd do with a stack of 6 constantly shielding themselves and each other and completely ignoring her primary weapon. As somebody who plays Zarya a lot, Mei doesn't worry me nearly as much as a good Reaper or Pharah.

this is def. situational. I mean by that same token I've been on teams w/ Mei's that make it their job to be Zarya's nightmare, likewise been up against Mei's that constantly freeze & kill the Zarya on my team. 1v1 Mei vs. Zarya = Mei wins. She's got too much in her arsenal for a close range fight, and Zarya's too slow/weak (w/o charge).

a 6 Mei vs. 6 Zarya would not end well for Zarya, even if all Mei's were bad. Sure, the 6 Zarya's miiiiight eke out a win, but it wouldn't be easy.

Ricky 7

I keep getting paired against groups of top 500 whilst I'm on a team of individuals with a lower team team average. How is that even fair?

The xp system for this game is dumb. How is skill barely a factor in how much xp you gain? For the longest time, I thought fire points were added to your xp pool. But I found out that it's basically game time that factors into it? Even if you get multiple medals, you only get xp for your highest? Why should a player who afks in Comp get practically the same xp as me? Does getting a card or even POTG give you xp?

Is it so difficult to rebalance xp to reward based on skill? It'd encourage people to play better and be a barometer of skill progression in characters. They already track the stats so it would be impossible just to scale based on character averages so nobody selects a character that is better at earning xp than the other. All this just reeks of Blizzard pushing people to buy loot boxes. The game is fun but you can really feel the presence of microtransactions in the game design.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only reason 6 meis vs 6 zaryas wouldn't go well is that she can't get enough charge off mei. :p

Really though, zarya should never be 1 v 1 most of the time anyway. Best to stick close to the team.

xaosslug

The only reason 6 meis vs 6 zaryas wouldn't go well is that she can't get enough charge off mei. :p

Really though, zarya should never be 1 v 1 most of the time anyway. Best to stick close to the team.

'the only reason' meanwhile it's a key-ass reason...
Ju3t4d0.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
When will they ever nerf this fucking Genji? seriously what a goddamn joke this character is.

Prelude.

How to fix Dorado, Route 66 and Gibraltar: rework them into hybrids so people understand where to defend. Easy peasy.
Pure payload maps are such a shitshow on defense.

I'm starting to get tired of hero stacking in QP, but I genuinely don't know what they can do about it, because I get it, it is really fun sometimes. But when it's every fucking game... It just becomes so un-fun and frustrating. Even worse is when you're in a normal game and the enemy gets pissed off about losing so switches to Torbs and Reinhardts and ruins it for everyone.

Pooya

I think they should increase his damage fall off for one. What genjis even do most of the match? go somewhere high and left click some roadhog and similar again and again to get ult charge in no time, it's so stupid, then kill everyone. I don't know, doesn't seem ok, the games used to be about who has the better widow, now it's about who has the better genji, I don't think it's widely broken but people have learned how to play him by now and some are really good, it's just boring and with no counter for everyone else.

Deflect is really silly too, offense heroes shouldn't have an ability more fitting of a tank, it's too much.

I think right now discord is the most broken thing though, no aiming, no cooldown? 50 percent more damage? sure bro.

LiK

The fact that Genji's shurikens don't have fall off damage is pretty ridiculous. Or does it because I don't believe they do.

MGrant

When will they ever nerf this fucking Genji? seriously what a goddamn joke this character is.

Genji's maybe a little OP, but it's mainly made worse by solo queuing. You gotta have a way to survive the sword, which means a good Lucio/Zen and a team that pays attention to its flanks is a bare minimum for preventing, rather than merely limiting, the damage he can do with impunity. But with no communication and nobody Discording him and focus firing, it's a free three to four kills if he gets it off in time.

I'm starting to get tired of hero stacking in QP, but I genuinely don't know what they can do about it, because I get it, it is really fun sometimes. But when it's every fucking game... It just becomes so un-fun and frustrating. Even worse is when you're in a normal game and the enemy gets pissed off about losing so switches to Torbs and Reinhardts and ruins it for everyone.

Earlier I was playing on Gibraltar, and 2 guys picked Genji, and that pissed me off so I picked Genji too, and 2 of the other guys also picked Genji, with one Reinhardt. We actually made some decent progress towards the first point, and eventually everybody got the message and swapped off of Genji, and, although we had no business winning, we won. lol

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for it, but I'll say it.

Buff Mei.

Honestly, the entire Defense class needs some sort of rework imo, but apparently Blizzard likes how the characters are doing right now (in low to mid level play), so they're not gonna get any major changes. :/

Just hoping that this won't stand in the way of Symmetra getting some sort of rework.

Pooya

Nothing is countered harder in this game than reaper does to winston, it's way too one sided for winston to have a chance dealing with genji in there.

Nothing is countered harder in this game than reaper does to winston, it's way too one sided for winston to have a chance dealing genji in there.

Yet Winston is a fairly regular pick in tournament play, particularly in order to take out Zenyatta asap and also just be annoying and all over the objective.
Reaper melting tanks is what Reaper is supposed to do. Winston is just the most vulnerable to it because his damage output is mediocre.

Davidion

I have to say from first impressions, I feel like I've flushed $40 down the drain. This is the first video game that has made me think that maybe I need to retire and stick to mobile games from now on. I think my line to my friends was, "I have a better chance of becoming fluent in Japanese from watching anime than I do of ever figuring out what the fuck is going on in a game of Overwatch."

I don't think it's helping that this is the first team shooter I've ever played, and the first PC FPS I've played in over a decade. I'm lucky if I can hit the E/Q keys when I want to :lol

You're stepping into a difficult situation: IMO, Overwatch tends to be at least one or two degree more complex than average shooters because you're juggling varied abilities and their respective synergies as opposed to just guns and maybe a couple of auxiliary abilities.

Really, I would say that this is a very enjoyable game, but if you're coming off from a long shooter sabbatical, your learning curve is probably a bit higher.

I promise if you take some time to let it soak in, and find some people you enjoy playing with, the game will feel phenomenal to play even in frustrating rounds.

exYle

Yet Winston is a fairly regular pick in tournament play, particularly in order to take out Zenyatta asap and also just be annoying and all over the objective.
Reaper melting tanks is what Reaper is supposed to do. Winston is just the most vulnerable to it because his damage output is mediocre.

Gib Winston more armor and shorter leap cooldown pls

Azoor

Honestly, the entire Defense class needs some sort of rework imo, but apparently Blizzard likes how the characters are doing right now (in low to mid level play), so they're not gonna get any major changes. :/

Just hoping that this won't stand in the way of Symmetra getting some sort of rework.

They tweaked D.va and Zenyatta, so maybe they'll do more changes in the future.

So one of my favourite things to do when playing as Reaper... if the enemy team has a Symmetra and one of the team mates go "Where's that teleporter?!?" I use the "It's in the refrigerator" voice line.

Paltheos

Just curious, what changes would you like?

There was a topic about this recently on r/Overwatch recently, and I posted a reply (although I suspect it was lost in the deluge of other replies):

Paltheos said:
I've been thinking about this allot recently, and I was wondering how Blizzard could nerf Genji without toning him down so much that he's no longer the high-ceiling, high-reward character he is now. The ult really is the problem, I think, but what I'd probably do is remove the elimination refresh on Swift Strike while Dragonblade is active, or at least just give it a reduced cooldown while ult's up.

The rest of Genji is pretty manageable (if terrifying in capable hands) but my biggest fear fighting against Genjis is half a team wipe when I hear that ult shout. Tempering Genji's mobility should force him into using it more situationally and working with his team more on turning the game around. A single player shouldn't be able to turn the game around so consistently, unless his non-ult play is great! (which is why I think the rest of Genji's fine)

LiK

So one of my favourite things to do when playing as Reaper... if the enemy team has a Symmetra and one of the team mates go "Where's that teleporter?!?" I use the "It's in the refrigerator" voice line.

i still haven't unlocked that line. it's so stupid that i need it.

Bliddo

:|
They really need to fix the matchmaking.
- join a shitty game 2 seconds before the defeat screen
- enjoy the POTG of a bastion sitting in a corner
- change map
- get kicked out after two seconds because there are a couple of players missing
Rinse and repeat.
I spent 90% of the time on loading screens tonight.

I'm starting to see why there's such a huge shitstorm about the Olympic skins. I've been getting stuff I don't want in loot box drops. I got paid today so I'm tempted to buy 20 of them.

Has there been a dropoff in players? It seems like it takes longer to find games now. Or maybe it was just because I was playing competitive mode.

i still haven't unlocked that line. it's so stupid that i need it.

It's the best line from the Summer Games boxes, 76's "You want a medal?" comes close second, alas I did not get it - in fact, it and Tracer's are literally the only 2 voice lines I'm missing heh.

I'm starting to see why there's such a huge shitstorm about the Olympic skins. I've been getting stuff I don't want in loot box drops. I got paid today so I'm tempted to buy 20 of them.

125 or so boxes, and I didn't get my second most wanted item (Genji's skin). Alas.

LiK

Has there been a dropoff in players? It seems like it takes longer to find games now. Or maybe it was just because I was playing competitive mode.

very slow. 2 min is like the quickest time i find a match with a group. sometimes solo takes just as long or more. i think lots of people have gone back to QP to level up for the Summer loot boxes.

SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

I'm kinda pissed that the one extra competitive match I did after my placement rounds to ensure getting the participation rewards literally ranked me down to 39. :/

LiK

SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

so does SR mean the Season High or current Rank? the wording confuses me.

Skii

I'm really tempted to buy a PC copy of Overwatch. I just feel like there's a lot more people playing and a better chance to group up properly. There's rarely ever anyone on PS4. At best I usually get a group of 2 lol.

Time to google how to play with a mouse and keyboard.

xaosslug

just got the champion/white Zarya Summer skin (which is the one I wanted!), and still haven't bought a single lootbox... :'D #justkeepswimming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom