• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Wow, that seems very generous.

I placed at 48 and am now 60, so at least get 200. I have only 42 or so CP's now so I either have to play a bunch more or hope I can squeeze my way to 65.

I really want a golden Zarya particle cannon.

xaosslug

SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

Wow, the payout difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

shit! Looks like I'll only be getting 120 and I only have 91, rn and I'm down to 49... I gotta get to 60, somehow! -__-

X-Frame

Looks like I'm going to have to get in on some GAF trains to get from 60 to 65!

I've had good luck solo, something like a 62% win rate almost all solo, but rather not leave it up to chance.

LiK

Wait thats kinda saddening that 75+ only gets 300

Seems kinda low

seems fine. one instant gold weapon. altho not sure why they stopped giving them out past 65. at least extra 50 every 10 ranks after would make some sense. why bother ranking higher unless you want top 500 for a player icon and spray. lame.

Soulflarz

Banned
seems fine. one instant gold weapon. altho not sure why they stopped giving them out past 65. at least extra 50 every 10 ranks after would make some sense. why bother ranking higher unless you want top 500 for a player icon and spray. lame.

Basically. And top 500 fluctuates hard- I was 400 when I left, now I'm not even top 500 at all, but then once I came back and was, so who knows. Probably going to be like 2500 people at the top 500 points, weirdly enough.

Edit: top 500 kinda sucks besides bragging rights/kinda meh spray and gold icon because you can't even check your rank ups a match, it's really annoying, you just see your rank number, not the bar at all.

maouvin

120 guaranteed, might try to reach 60 (55 atm, it'll be hard). Not bad.

I think a good solution to dealing with leavers in comp is to minimize the rank loss when your team inevitably loses. And to prevent exploitation, raise the penalty for leavers!

Yes! My highest rank this season was 66. Free weapon brehs and I can save up my +125 for next season.

giphy.gif

Quixzlizx

It sounds like you're going into it with a negative mindset. Give it a while. Play vs. AI until you can comfortably handle at least two characters, then try quickplay for a while. My roommate has never played an FPS before, and that's exactly what she's doing to get a feel for the game.

Learning the characters, their roles, their counters, how to predict them, and how to navigate the maps takes time. Give it at least two weeks of regular play; if you still don't like it, no big.

I guess it's going to have to be easy AI, since the teams I was put on last night were getting shredded by normal AI.

Jarate

Banned
Basically. And top 500 fluctuates hard- I was 400 when I left, now I'm not even top 500 at all, but then once I came back and was, so who knows. Probably going to be like 2500 people at the top 500 points, weirdly enough.

Edit: top 500 kinda sucks besides bragging rights/kinda meh spray and gold icon because you can't even check your rank ups a match, it's really annoying, you just see your rank number, not the bar at all.

Hush you, you only play one class so all you need us 300 Blizzard Purple Currency

LiK

I think a good solution to dealing with leavers in comp is to minimize the rank loss when your team inevitably loses. And to prevent exploitation, raise the penalty for leavers!

penalty should stack in a way that makes sense. right now it's a 10 min ban from playing it again. but if they keep disconnecting, the time limit should go up every 10 min and finally they get banned. also, when people leave and you win a 5v6 or something, you should get a big bonus in XP. makes no sense why people who stay to win are punished for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
The leaver issue is if it's not 6x the penalty and you nerf the loss for your team, you run into an issue of..

-we were about to lose, now we don't all lose rank
-a group of 6 has people take turns leaving
etc

It has no safe solution really

Hush you, you only play one class so all you need us 300 Blizzard Purple Currency

Shhh

duckroll

penalty should stack in a way that makes sense. right now it's a 10 min ban from playing it again. but if they keep disconnecting, the time limit should go up every 10 min and finally they get banned. also, when people leave and you win a 5v6 or something, you should get a big bonus in XP. makes no sense why people who stay to win are punished for it.

If they do that though, there would be six stack groups always using one member to leave just before they win, to boost everyone else. I guess maybe they can use a time multiplier though. Every 30 seconds you play with a man down would add to the multiplier for everyone else maybe?

Pooya

In 25 boxes, I got Mercy and D.va epic (it looks great), red Zarya and now yellow Lucio. Plus Lucio highlight. I think that's decent, I will reach level 200 soon so I will get a lot more lootboxes until 225 by the end of the event. I only want Mccree's epic and tracer/junkrat highlights.

The leaver issue is if it's not 6x the penalty and you nerf the loss for your team, you run into an issue of..

-we were about to lose, now we don't all lose rank
-a group of 6 has people take turns leaving
etc

It has no safe solution really

Well, it may be harsh, but you could penalize the whole group if someone leaves. And minimizing the rank drop would still do things like ruining your winstreak so it's difficult to rank up again. It's not usually groups that have problems with leavers anyway.

I hit SR56 last night (before dropping down to 55), so I guess I'm getting 120 purple points.

Need to actually put some time into this if I want to get to 60. Only have ~20 hours in competitive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The big thing they need to look at with groups is the smurfing people are doing, it lets you team up with people within 50 ranks which is INSANE given the spread here. Seeing a team of 70, 70 and 40 is pretty blatant, pulling down the average and also leveraging underdog bonuses.

Competitive has soooo many issues it's kinda nuts. Hope season 2 is reworked a ton.

shit! Looks like I'll only be getting 120 and I only have 91, rn and I'm down to 49... I gotta get to 60, somehow! -__-

I'm in the same boat - highest was 59, dropped all the way to 50. Need to make that shit up. PS4 GAFfers, I'm gonna need you tonight/tomorrow! I can make 60 if I believe in myself!

NimbusD

I need Season 2 so I can reset and get out of this hell hole.

Yeah, same.

Are there placement matches again, or do I get placed on max rank.... or worst case, I just stay where I am?

Its been a long slog to get out of the 30s since I had one bad night. Im okay, but Im not capable of carrying horrible teams or teams that don't listen or communicate, of which the 30s is full of. Made it back to the low 40s and its a bit less, but I'll have an occasional run thatll put me back to 39 or so. Honesltly think if I were 47 like I started I'd be okay and able to maintain, if not jump to 50s.

I seriously cant take any more games where everyone trickles in alone, doesnt use reinhardts sheild, or wont focus on enemies, so everyone shoots individual people as we get picked off one by one. Or worse, everyone leaves the choke to chase a single tracer, letting the whole team rush the point with ease. Or even WORSE, mei runs up ahead of choke just to throw one annoying wall at people and immediately dies.
OR EVEN WORSE, etc etc.

Yeah, same.

Are there placement matches again, or do I get placed on max rank.... or worst case, I just stay where I am?

Its been a long slog to get out of the 30s since I had one bad night. Im okay, but Im not capable of carrying horrible teams or teams that don't listen or communicate, of which the 30s is full of. Made it back to the low 40s and its a bit less, but I'll have an occasional run thatll put me back to 39 or so. Honesltly think if I were 47 like I started I'd be okay and able to maintain, if not jump to 50s.

I seriously cant take any more games where everyone trickles in alone, doesnt use reinhardts sheild, or wont focus on enemies, so everyone shoots individual people as we get picked off one by one. Or worse, everyone leaves the choke to chase a single tracer, letting the whole team rush the point with ease. Or even WORSE, mei runs up ahead of choke just to throw one annoying wall at people and immediately dies.
OR EVEN WORSE, etc etc.

Every season gets new placement matches

Pooya

Yeah, same.

There is going to be placement games again but I suspect they keep a base MMR for it and go from there, I don't think you get a clean slate. Actually we never got a clean slate, season 1 used qp MMR and everyone still has a different hidden MMR other than the visible SR. SR is not really your true skill rating after you grinded ranked for a while, it's just rank. I'm not expecting people to get a widely different placements, if you play a group maybe one can get carried a bit, maybe 5-10 difference but you're not going from 40 to 60 from new placements. Seems really unlikely unless you threw the placements completely or got really that much better in 2 months. Can their placement system recognize someone that got a lot better but has an starting MMR of 40 from last season for example? I'm not sure.

LiK

The spike in CP rewarded def shows that reaching 65 and beyond is not an easy feat. I'm guessing most of us who reached 60+ are in the minority.

The spike in CP rewarded def shows that reaching 65 and beyond is not an easy feat. I'm guessing most of us who reached 60+ are in the minority.
Master Overwatch says 65+ is the Top 6% of players. And that's from a self-selected sample of people who care about their stats.

Hell, reaching 56 puts me in the Top 25%, apparently.

xaosslug

I have to say from first impressions, I feel like I've flushed $40 down the drain. This is the first video game that has made me think that maybe I need to retire and stick to mobile games from now on. I think my line to my friends was, "I have a better chance of becoming fluent in Japanese from watching anime than I do of ever figuring out what the fuck is going on in a game of Overwatch."

I don't think it's helping that this is the first team shooter I've ever played, and the first PC FPS I've played in over a decade. I'm lucky if I can hit the E/Q keys when I want to :lol

I guess it's going to have to be easy AI, since the teams I was put on last night were getting shredded by normal AI.

this was literally me the first few days (weeks? LOL) I had the game! You basically just need to play easy AI and try out dif characters until you feel confident enough to do higher difficulty, and then after that you just jump off the cliff and go QP LIVE! When I first started out I basically 'mained' Torb & Junkrat. I've since branched out loads! ;)

trust me, my first few days playing I was getting stomped by medium difficulty AI, and easy AI was a challenge. -__-

X-Frame

I wonder if Blizzard is going to get rid of individual performance affecting the skill rating.

There was a popular Reddit post recently about how it should be 100% based on Win/Loss.

They raised a lot of good arguments for why it may be a better system in Overwatch.

I wonder if Blizzard is going to get rid of individual performance affecting the skill rating.

There was a popular Reddit post recently about how it should be 100% based on Win/Loss.

They raised a lot of good arguments for why it may be a better system in Overwatch.
I can think of a number of flaws with W/L too though. I don't know what the best solution is.

I'm more curious to see if season's 2 placement matches will use our previous rankings as a starting point or everyone starts off fresh and it's up to themselves to see where they rise or fall.

Ooooh X-Frame you mind linking this? Would like to read it.

NimbusD

There is going to be placement games again but I suspect they keep a base MMR for it and go from there, I don't think you get a clean slate. Actually we never got a clean slate, season 1 used qp MMR and everyone still has a different hidden MMR other than the visible SR. SR is not really your true skill rating after you grinded ranked for a while, it's just rank. I'm not expecting people to get a widely different placements, if you play a group maybe one can get carried a bit, maybe 5-10 difference but you're not going from 40 to 60 from new placements. Seems really unlikely unless you threw the placements completely or got really that much better in 2 months. Can their placement system recognize someone that got a lot better but has an starting MMR of 40 from last season for example? I'm not sure.

Well my placement was also fucked up by the fact that half of the games my game crashed due to my old/shitty graphics card (since replaced). I don't think I'd ever get to 60 without some serious practice.

Hope there's a bit more of a chance to reset in between seasons than you're saying, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom