• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Lucio is in a similar place where medic was in TF2. The meta revolves around him existing far too heavily oo nerf him without causing the meta to change a whole lot which would piss off your pro players.

Anne

Then maybe with your advanced strats you can tell these competitive teams what to do. We just had a kings row where teams ran Genjis instead of Meis! The absolute mad men!

We've also had Kings Row games where Mei has been ran instead of Genji. by Envy. The team that just won. The best team in the world. Where they had arguably the best DPS in the world on Mei. They invented the strats on that map with her.

You can't do it every single game, but I'm telling you that character has some shit with the wall that actually fucks up a lot of the normal strats you see. It's being experimented with at the highest level and there have been more than a few pro players speculate that the more time goes on the better she'll get.

And saying the meta revolves around Lucio is only kind of right. This isn't TF3, Lucio speedboost could get toned down and the meta still be stable and not some total shit fest that people would hate.

Soulflarz

Banned
^^Mei was a joke pick though, it's a bad example, since Team Envy is a mile ahead of basically everyone at the moment.

The Meta does revolve around Lucio but he could survive a mild nerf, yes.

Prelude.

One thing I think we need is another character that can go through D.va's defense matrix and someone that can shut down Zarya's barrier.
It lasts 2 seconds. Asking for a shutdown is kinda ridiculous, it'd be half depleted before someone even reacts. You can tear it down already if it's damaged enough, and there are various stuns that prevent her from putting it up, it's really a no-issue.

As for D.Va, you're gonna run into this kind of problems when hero stacking is allowed only partially, they can't really balance it for both modes.

Jarate

Banned
We've also had Kings Row games where Mei has been ran instead of Genji. by Envy. The team that just won. The best team in the world. Where they had arguably the best DPS in the world on Mei. They invented the strats on that map with her.

You can't do it every single game, but I'm telling you that character has some shit with the wall that actually fucks up a lot of the normal strats you see. It's being experimented with at the highest level and there have been more than a few pro players speculate that the more time goes on the better she'll get.

Gimmick characters dont usually last.

Obviously, the meta still has too move forward a whole lot, and like i said she has her uses

also, mei was kind of picked mei as a joke because they rolled through that tourney so hard. She might have her uses, but once again, she's a gimmick pick and gimmick picks dont last

Anne

^^Mei was a joke pick though, it's a bad example, since Team Envy is a mile ahead of basically everyone at the moment.

The Meta does revolve around Lucio but he could survive a mild nerf, yes.

Then why have other teams started using Mei in the same strat? I can't remember who it was but a team ran the Kings Row Mei strat against LG/NRG in the ESL playoffs and full held on the first cap.

It's not a troll pick. It's a real thing that they were testing in scrims before they even used it.

The main reason Mei didn't get used before is because developing strats for her is a lot harder than say just having McCree murder everything behind a speedboost. She's not some top tier but she's edging around the meta on certain maps already.

Soulflarz

Banned
Then why have other teams started using Mei in the same strat? I can't remember who it was but a team ran the Kings Row Mei strat against LG/NRG in the ESL playoffs and full held on the first cap.

It's not a troll pick. It's a real thing that they were testing in scrims before they even used it.

It was team Envyus, who had basically steamrolled the entire tournament, having barely lost any rounds whatsoever for the past half month before it (2 I think? They hadn't dropped a game in a long time), so they didn't have a care in the world in that tournament. I was in chats with people who were laughing over how disrespectful picking Mei was.

Anne

It was team Envyus, who had basically steamrolled the entire tournament, having barely lost any rounds whatsoever for the past half month before it (2 I think? They hadn't dropped a game in a long time), so they didn't have a care in the world in that tournament. I was in chats with people who were laughing over how disrespectful picking Mei was.

Nope, this was a different set of teams after Envy had already gone in their bracket, I just can't remember which besides NRG. The strat has been used by other teams, and she's been adopted in other strats for Hanamura and such in tournament too. Envy were just the first ones to do it.

Nah, this was Team Liquid playing Mei against NRG, a different game. NRG lost badly on that although it seemed like they mostly got very tilted.

NRG themselves also picked Mei against Splyce on Anubis, but got completely rolled. So pro teams are definitely experimenting with her in scrims and official games.

There we go, that's the match.

peakish

Nah, this was Team Liquid playing Mei against NRG, a different game. NRG lost badly on that although it seemed like they mostly got very tilted.

NRG themselves also picked Mei against Splyce on Anubis, but got completely rolled. So pro teams are definitely experimenting with her in scrims and official games.

Jarate

Banned
Torb is in a really good place right now on PC. His best uses are a portable "find out where people are flanking from" and he has some good range and DPS with his gun. And honestly, who wants to watch professional Torbjorn anyway?

Hey Overwatch-GAF!

I'm an Overwatch player who has been going for a lootbox a day since the game came out. I'm decent on PC, usually can hold my own. But this week I've been struggling a bunch, feeling like I lose 60-70% of my games. Last night in particular I lost like 5 in a row. Maybe luck of the draw, but either way, I want to get better.

Which leads me to my question: Who makes the best character guides on YouTube? (Or anywhere else). I'm not trying to go pro,I just want to hit whatever my skill ceiling is.

Any recommendation?

psyfi

Banned
I'm bored and feel like watching some competitive Overwatch. Are there any youtube videos from tournaments yall would recommend? I haven't been following competitive OW really at all.

Veelk

Banned
Do you guys think of I start telling people to make sure that the enemy's healer survives, that'll make them kill them in a reverse psychology sort of way?

Jarate

Banned
Hey Overwatch-GAF!

I'm an Overwatch player who has been going for a lootbox a day since the game came out. I'm decent on PC, usually can hold my own. But this week I've been struggling a bunch, feeling like I lose 60-70% of my games. Last night in particular I lost like 5 in a row. Maybe luck of the draw, but either way, I want to get better.

Which leads me to my question: Who makes the best character guides on YouTube? (Or anywhere else). I'm not trying to go pro,I just want to hit whatever my skill ceiling is.

Any recommendation?

You just gotta push those sweat glands to the limit bro. Try as hard as possible
What characterrs do you run. i'd suggest finding a character you are really good with and sticking ith them until you get bored. Always have a tank, a healer, and another DPS on hand in your rotation in case someone picks your chartacter

I'm bored and feel like watching some competitive Overwatch. Are there any youtube videos from tournaments yall would recommend? I haven't been following competitive OW really at all.

https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

Owzers

I'm so fucking tired of competitive. Why is it I always get grouped with teams who can't tell their heads from their asses, while the teams I'm up against are well-oiled machines who completely steamroll?

It's so irritating. I've been as high as 59 and I've dropped all the way to 50. Pisses me off.

I need some more GAF friends, seriously.

what's your psn name? Also there's no telling where my head is, but i try to keep it out of places. Like i knew two bastion defense right outside their spawn in of El Dorado outside the left and right side of their door corners was a horrible idea but no one listens to the "group up here" away from it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nope, this was a different set of teams after Envy had already gone in their bracket, I just can't remember which besides NRG. The strat has been used by other teams, and she's been adopted in other strats for Hanamura and such in tournament too. Envy were just the first ones to do it.

Got any vods?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Torb is in a really good place right now on PC. His best uses are a portable "find out where people are flanking from" and he has some good range and DPS with his gun. And honestly, who wants to watch professional Torbjorn anyway?

I'd rather watch professioanl Torbjorn over professional Lucio.

Roubjon

CpItej5XYAECEz-.jpg:large

Blizzard wanted me to lose this match I think...

Yup.

Anne

Oh look the best overall DPS player in NA is using Mei while down in grand finals against the best team in the world :3

edit: lol it didn't work out but hey it was a thing they thought to try!

Antiwhippy

Am I the only one thinking some of the pro players play DVa somewhat... sub-optimally?

Like I still see a lot of them DM random potshots, ulting really predictably, etc. etc.

If only they won

I love this

TBF they lost to the first reason that phased mei out: pharmercy.

Soulflarz

Banned
Am I the only one thinking some of the pro players play DVa somewhat... sub-optimally?

Like I still see a lot of them DM random potshots, ulting really predictably, etc. etc.

Yes some pros play most peoples mains suboptimally if only because the scene is so small still on a pro level. I still see many reapers do stupid stuff, mentally think "why didn't he do X?!" and see him die a hilarious death for it right after.

Veelk

Banned
Game 1: Do well for 90% of the match until the last stretch where we get stuck for all 5 minutes and lose because no one is interested in killing the Mercy that keeps reviving the team. Okay. I kept expecting the D.Va on my team to wipe them out with her ult, because that's supposed to be what she does, but nope.

Game 2: Competitive, where I get to try out my new super duper 53 rank and I get steamrolled by an annoyingly good team. Okay.

Game 3: Anubis, because that's the bestest map in the game, amiright...where we get steamrolled by the enemy team. Kills my rank down to 51.

I am so sick....so fucking sick of this stupid fucking ping pong bullshit. I rise, I fall, I rise, I fall, again and again. I fucking hate it so much.

On defend side everyone plays attack heroes because defend heroes suck.

gg blizz

On PS4 they nerfed torbjörn nearly out of existence. Widowmaker is 9 times out of 10 dead weight. The others are kind of alright, but yeah you're pretty much better off not using the defense guys. Mei was my favorite, but seems everyone has gotten wise to her game and I generally get much better results with whatever attack/tank/support hero I use.

Jarate

Banned
Game 1: Do well for 90% of the match until the last stretch where we get stuck for all 5 minutes and lose because no one is interested in killing the Mercy that keeps reviving the team. Okay. I kept expecting the D.Va on my team to wipe them out with her ult, because that's supposed to be what she does, but nope.

Game 2: Competitive, where I get to try out my new super duper 53 rank and I get steamrolled by an annoyingly good team. Okay.

Game 3: Anubis, because that's the bestest map in the game, amiright...where we get steamrolled by the enemy team. Kills my rank down to 51.

I am so sick....so fucking sick of this stupid fucking ping pong bullshit. I rise, I fall, I rise, I fall, again and again. I fucking hate it so much.

idk why you'd worry about it so much, it happens, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's the inherent nature of competitive games that unless you literally have the best team you arent going to win 100% of the time.

Antiwhippy

Honestly other than zen and lucio, and defense heroes, I kinda like where everyone is atm. Plus with zen and lucio toned down other character will be brought up too.

Nori Chan

How do I have enough deadeye to kill a full health road hog and not enough to kill zenyatta and zarya? All in my pov

Thanks blizzard

Veelk

Banned
idk why you'd worry about it so much, it happens, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's the inherent nature of competitive games that unless you literally have the best team you arent going to win 100% of the time.

It'd be fine with that. But I don't. I go on streaks. I win a bunch, then I lose a bunch. Otherwise, my rank wouldn't jump around like this. And it's seriously not pleasant at all. I would rather not have the rank at all, but then I have to deal with hero stacking, which is even worse.

Roubjon

Yes some pros play most peoples mains suboptimally if only because the scene is so small still on a pro level. I still see many reapers do stupid stuff, mentally think "why didn't he do X?!" and see him die a hilarious death for it right after.

Completely unrelated, but around what Skill rank were you when you got to top 500? I'm hoping I can get there by the end of the season.

Soulflarz

Banned
Completely unrelated, but around what Skill rank were you when you got to top 500? I'm hoping I can get there by the end of the season.

It's not a hard rank. I generally regrab it in the high 73s, and I'm top 100 by 76. I lose it if I fall low 73. Rank fluctuates, so yeah. Then again, this is ps4, not PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom