• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn

I've finally gotten good enough with Soldier 76 and Bastion that I can consistently get cards. In fact, my last game I went 72% of all kills for my team. However, I never get more than 2 upvotes, 1 being myself. The fuck?

Prelude.

I've finally gotten good enough with Soldier 76 and Bastion that I can consistently get cards. In fact, my last game I went 72% of all kills for my team. However, I never get more than 2 upvotes, 1 being myself. The fuck?
It's callofdutyman and Bastion, what do you expect?

Sianos

They really need to widen the skill range people can get placed in. I understand that people don't wanna have to be rank 20 or something, but how condensed the mid ranks are is actually insane.

I agree, even up in the sixties it feels like a tossup whether your random Tracer slam pick is either a zero impact anchor picking their waifu or a genuinely skilled fps veteran you can tell was a high level Scout in another life.

Looking around at Overbuff, just about ten levels seems to separate the ~60th percentile from the ~90th percentile, which is a really wide gap in skill. That's way too condensed.

xaosslug

your team feels dirty having been a part of your Bastion use, win or no. ;P You could literally carry ur team w/ Bastion, and you would get no likes. S76 is just boring, so unless everyone SEES you playing outstanding (ie. actually witnesses your awesomeness, card aside), again: no likes.

it's kind of the same w/ D.Va - unless your team witnesses how crucial you were to their win, you ain't gonna get no likes.

Apathy

I guarantee that if mobawatch was one of the options next to quickplay, and it didn't punish you with brawl xp but instead gave normal xp, it would just make qp a barren wasteland. I hate stacking heroes, you don't learn anything from it and you get no experience for how to play in comp

Prelude.

I think they've said something about the lines of changing the score system so that it feels more representative, since even the top scores don't look that impressive by their number.

Sianos

I think they've said something about the lines of changing the score system so that it feels more representative, since even the top scores don't look that impressive by their number.

Excellent, a wider range of rank similar to Dota 2's four digit MMR would be very much appreciated. I assume they'll tweak their system in between seasons, right?

Rocketz

Got my first salty message today. Complaining to me as I wasn't doing a good enough job healing in his eyes. Keep in mind I was the only support character.

I watch him twice die within a second of using his ult with Pharrah on Hollywood attacking by himself without the team. Both times he had a orb on him but he was attacking by himself as I was waiting for the team to push in.

Veelk

Banned

Interesting.

For me, the problem isn't that I am viewing the percentage based system as a grading system. I'm pretty happy with my actual rank. I just don't like seeing it go down. I'm fine with it being in the 50's, I just don't like how it can plummet after a few bad games.

But what they are talking about is the heart of what I am feeling. Your rank should not be something that discourages you. If they're working on improving that, then that's a good thing.

xaosslug

they need to add an option to stay grouped-up while going solo. Like, sometimes you're w/ a good group of random peeps and stay winning... only to be separated for the next match. T__T

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just got a POTG, as Lucio, just after getting his new Summer Games Highlight Intro, and not even for healing. I just killed a bunch.

First legendary for the olympics I got was the Tracer British flag one.

10 boxes later, second olympic legendary , the other legendary tracer skin

Veelk

Banned
Just pm them for invites?

You never know!

That's another problem with OW's interface. I never have any idea who was on my team post game. I can maybe remember 1 or 2 names, then the rest of them could be anyone.

As far as I can tell, Overwatch stat tracking websites keep no record of actual matches. They mark a match down as a win/loss for the aggregate whole, but I could never find an option that tells me how many kills I got in a certain match or who I played with.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's another problem with OW's interface. I never have any idea who was on my team post game. I can maybe remember 1 or 2 names, then the rest of them could be anyone.

As far as I can tell, Overwatch stat tracking websites keep no record of actual matches. They mark a match down as a win/loss for the aggregate whole, but I could never find an option that tells me how many kills I got in a certain match or who I played with.

They do keep track of all the players you've met though. It's one of the tabs in the social menu i believe.

Though i find it really hard to forget one of the best mercy player I've met mostly because his/her name is poopfeast.

Veelk

Banned
They do keep track of all the players you've met though. It's one of the tabs in the social menu i believe.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Players I've interacted with, but not how. Were they an enemy or teammate? Did they do well, or did I just see them get lucky?

I really am in favor for a stat-trackless mode, but in modes that do have them, I'd rather them be more thorough, because I'm often curious to know how well they really did.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Players I've interacted with, but not how. Were they an enemy or teammate? Did they do well, or did I just see them get lucky?

I really am in favor for a stat-trackless mode, but in modes that do have them, I'd rather them be more thorough, because I'm often curious to know how well they really did.

That's pretty much the antithesis of what Blizzard wants for Overwatch tho.

They want every player to use every class, and switch classes as necessary for the situation, even your K/D might suffer for it.

Veelk

Banned

They want every player to use every class, and switch classes as necessary for the situation, even your K/D might suffer for it.

I don't see why that's unworkable. I mean, they already list your elimination record, as well as your K/D ratio. And the game tells you how much of a hand you had in killing a particular enemy.

So, lets say that I killed a Genji who only had 1% of his health left and I got a 60% elimination on Pharah that another team member finished off.

The Stat site would tell you: You killed 1% Genji and eliminated 60% Pharah.

It wouldn't be any information the game doesn't already tell you, it would just have some permanence.

Anne

Well they failed on that a bit. Everybody specializes in a role similar to a MOBA and they switch in and out of the classes for that role. It's too hard to maintain skill in all the roles enough for most people ;w;

Like I'm a DPS main but I can only play like 2 supports and 2 tanks well enough to pick them in comp :/

Soulflarz

Banned
Well they failed on that a bit. Everybody specializes in a role similar to a MOBA and they switch in and out of the classes for that role. It's too hard to maintain skill in all the roles enough for most people ;w;

Like I'm a DPS main but I can only play like 2 supports and 2 tanks well enough to pick them in comp :/

Most players do not have the time to put into this game to main a lot of characters so they go the easy route. We aren't pros and don't play this game silly amounts a day probably.

https://gfycat.com/MediocreGlossyCrocodile

Can somebody explain why all of my loot crates had been like this since the olympic update. Mountains of dups and player icons

You got 400 coins, no complaining.

Crzy1

Have been playing quick play all day and have been having a lot more fun than in comp. I'm at rank 62 and doubt I'll go any higher without a group, so I think I may be done with comp for this season. I may try to grind out another 80 or so wins to get a golden gun, but I'll probably just wait until the season rewards go out.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
But I've opened 15+ loot crates and have yet to get tracer olympic item

Don't say that, all I want is the GBR Tracer skin and I won't/can't throw money at the screen to get it. I'm currently saving my boxes for a big unboxing at the end of the event, currently sitting at 10 and expect to get 2/day so I'll probably end up on around 40 boxes, hopefully that'll be enough but I doubt it. It's a shame I was so middle of the road in level, if I was a bit higher I could have gotten to 200 and had 20 quick boxes on top of that :(

Veelk

Banned
I just got Korea D.Va a while ago, so I actually pretty much got everything I wanted out of this event.

I would just like the next set of skins to have something for every hero and for them to not be themed around a specific event, but something that is reflective of the characters/character archtypes. Something like the Gundam skin is the perfect example. Pharah's Ult is reminiscent of the move you see on a lot of mech shows, so they made a skin that resonates with that attack. Or Ana is kinda like the old Mothers from Mad Max, so they gave her a Mad Max looking skin. I want stuff like that.

I don't see why that's unworkable. I mean, they already list your elimination record, as well as your K/D ratio. And the game tells you how much of a hand you had in killing a particular enemy.

So, lets say that I killed a Genji who only had 1% of his health left and I got a 60% elimination on Pharah that another team member finished off.

The Stat site would tell you: You killed 1% Genji and eliminated 60% Pharah.

It wouldn't be any information the game doesn't already tell you, it would just have some permanence.

I just feel like part of the appeal and charm of Overwatch for so much of the expanded audience that isn't typically into FPS or competitive games is the fact that it only fronts positive information, and hides negative information.

You know how much damage you did. Nobody else does. You know how many times you died, no body else does. And it will only tell people how many other people your other teammates killed, or how much time they were at the objective, or how much they healed, or what have you, if it's to celebrate you.

I think that was very specifically designed. They don't want people having access to granular performance information for every player so they can compare and blame.

Sorry for the double post, but sweet christ almighty, how many Dragon Blade swipes does it take to kill a Mei at full health?

I just hit her 3 times, cross-hatches and everything, and she didn't go down.

Anne

Yeah, the positive vibes and hidden scoreboard are very specific designs to keep toxicity lower and make people feel better.

Sword deals 120 damage, Mei has 250 life. So 3 swipes.

I'm also more or less convinced Genji's ult charge rate needs to be nerfed slightly. Everything else can be okay, but that is actually a bit out of line.

Apathy

i just did a 4 person kill with dva between my bunny blaster and ult at the same time that i'm the main pusher for the payload. as i am calling down my mech and happen to be off a bit i see the giant defeat on my screen. in that time the rest of the team isn't even on the payload, they are just off it. you gotta be fucking kidding me at this point. Like game basics, these idiots just can't do. Whats the point of trying with randoms?

Yeah I don't think Genji should be nerfed, but having his ult charge nerfed by 10 or 20% wouldn't hurt him too much, but be enough to to tone him down a tiny bit.

But again, I don't think he should be nerfed, but this would be the best thing they could do.

Anne

Yeah I don't think Genji should be nerfed, but having his ult charge nerfed by 10 or 20% wouldn't hurt him too much, but be enough to to tone him down a tiny bit.

But again, I don't think he should be nerfed, but this would be the best thing they could do.

I think at high level it can be managed, but it does stick out when after the first teamfight Genji is running around with an ult while everybody else is 10-20% behind him. In solo q that is actually a huge problem. I think tuning that can be something preemptive to him further along the line in comp while taking some of the pressure of him in solo q.

Yeah, the positive vibes and hidden scoreboard are very specific designs to keep toxicity lower and make people feel better.

Sword deals 120 damage, Mei has 250 life. So 3 swipes.

I'm also more or less convinced Genji's ult charge rate needs to be nerfed slightly. Everything else can be okay, but that is actually a bit out of line.

Thanks. Maybe she had a shield buff or something I missed. Pissed me off, cause I waltzed past the Reindhart and had three squishies lined up.

I was like 'why..wont...you...diiiiiiiiie?!' Lol

Salarians

i just did a 4 person kill with dva between my bunny blaster and ult at the same time that i'm the main pusher for the payload. as i am calling down my mech and happen to be off a bit i see the giant defeat on my screen. in that time the rest of the team isn't even on the payload, they are just off it. you gotta be fucking kidding me at this point. Like game basics, these idiots just can't do. Whats the point of trying with randoms?
Sounds familiar. :(

psyfi

Banned
Out of everything in the game, Genji's ult is the thing I'm most inexplicably bad at. I was the same way with the Bladedancer super in Destiny. I always just fucking whiff it. I can get one or two kills usually, but it almost just feels like luck. I don't get it. My timing is fine. I usually use it after flanking the enemy team to create an opportunity for my team to push. Or to try to finish off the enemy stragglers if both sides lost a few players in a big push.

I think I just overextend and lose focus. I worry too much about accidentally the ult, in a way that gives me tunnel vision. So I don't think enough about staying alive and keeping smart positioning. I dunno.

The only other ult I'm as ineffective with is Tracer's bomb. I still have a hard time predicting the throw range. I just plop it on the ground like it's a 100 lb sandbag.

I feel like any Genji nerf should be pc exclusive, because on console he's pretty manageable.

Most people dont have the ability to exploit both his agility and his range/damage/accuracy on thumbsticks. He's either bouncing around not delivering much damage or staying grounded and firing 90% of the time.

psyfi

Banned
I feel like any Genji nerf should be pc exclusive, because on console he's pretty manageable.

Most people dont have the ability to exploit both his agility and his range/damage/accuracy on thumbsticks. He's either bouncing around not delivering much damage or staying grounded and firing 90% of the time.
Sounds about right to me. I've stuck right around the 58-63 range in Competitive, and I don't come across Genjis that are anything worse than a nuisance. Like a Tracer, basically. There's been plenty of impressive ones, but most are manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom