• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like the playmaker as Ana sometimes but like I can almost never score gold medals with any decent teams. But my ult combined with Roadhog ult and knowing when to use it just straight up won us the game in the stalemate.

duckroll

I feel that the better the team comp, the less relevant medals become. If the team comp is shit and no one works together, medals become a way for people in the team to try and justify their worth over others. But when the team truly works together as a group and everyone knows their role, you can perform exceptionally in that role, have zero medals, and still feel that you contributed to the victory.

A Mei blocking off enemies at just the right time to allow teammates to kill them off one by one? A Winston knocking enemies off point to prevent flanking so the team doesn't get killed while hold off the main attack? A Tracer contesting long enough for the team to group up and return for the counter attack? These things don't earn you medals, but they are satisfying as fuck when they work out.

LiK

I feel that the better the team comp, the less relevant medals become. If the team comp is shit and no one works together, medals become a way for people in the team to try and justify their worth over others. But when the team truly works together as a group and everyone knows their role, you can perform exceptionally in that role, have zero medals, and still feel that you contributed to the victory.

A Mei blocking off enemies at just the right time to allow teammates to kill them off one by one? A Winston knocking enemies off point to prevent flanking so the team doesn't get killed while hold off the main attack? A Tracer contesting long enough for the team to group up and return for the counter attack? These things don't earn you medals, but they are satisfying as fuck when they work out.

Who says medals mean anything? They're useless. Just fun lil things to check during a match. It's as useless as getting a card or POTG.

FoxSpirit

So I'm thinking about learning how to play at a lower mouse DPI, since I can't aim that precisely with 3500, but I'm afraid of losing out on being able to react quickly to enemies sneaking up on me. Is it worth doing to improve my aim?
Yes. But you need to learn how to make much larger mouse movements. Then your aim is way better. One of the best Widows plays at ridiculously low settings. Like 400DPI+8sens.

Anne

Depends on the role is all. If you pick Mei you basically know you are getting 0 medals but you can see your impact on a fight instantly.

At the same time if you are playing a DPS class and not getting a damage medal, that's a heads up that something is either extremely wrong or extremely right.

I do agree that I don't like the emphasis on them sometimes, but they are useful.

duckroll

Who says medals mean anything? They're useless.

They exist and they are highlighted by the game at the end of every match. That draws attention to them and makes people think about them. Like the post just before mine!

Depends on the role is all. If you pick Mei you basically know you are getting 0 medals but you can see your impact on a fight instantly.

At the same time if you are playing a DPS class and not getting a damage medal, that's a heads up that something is either extremely wrong or extremely right.

I do agree that I don't like the emphasis on them sometimes, but they are useful.

Well yeah, I think if you play a Soldier and your kills and damage medals are bronze or below all the time, you might want to reconsider your role. But honestly, even without looking at the medal stats, I think if you play a DPS character and you're not pulling your weight, you know. Lol.

MartyStu

Who says medals mean anything? They're useless. Just fun lil things to check during a match. It's as useless as getting a card or POTG.

Yup.

On Lucio, I made it my mission to murderize a particularly accurate Widow messing with my team. Got nothing for it, but I know for a fact that had I not made her enemy #1, we would have lost.

Which reminds me: I am sick and tired of my flankers ignoring enemy snipers. So frickin' annoying.

is lucioball going to be the only brawl until the olympics end? that kind of sucks. the different brawls were one of the only things keeping this game fresh.

LiK

They exist and they are highlighted by the game at the end of every match. That draws attention to them and makes people think about them. Like the post just before mine!

Well yeah, I think if you play a Soldier and your kills and damage medals are bronze or below all the time, you might want to reconsider your role. But honestly, even without looking at the medal stats, I think if you play a DPS character and you're not pulling your weight, you know. Lol.

Oh, missed that post lol

duckroll

is lucioball going to be the only brawl until the olympics end? that kind of sucks. the different brawls were one of the only things keeping this game fresh.

We don't know for sure, it hasn't been a week yet. My guess when they launched the Summer Games was that there would be 3 brawls for the 3 week period - Lucio, Tracer, Zarya. We'll see if that pans out. I really want a Tracer racing brawl!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ana_Pacha2.png

So good, having such a blast playing with her.

LiK

Just saying, you do seem to mention these quite a lot.

Cuz it's fun stuff to mention. What else should I mention about his game when I play? Hm?

Should I also not mention other useless stuff like skins and stat numbers? Then we have nothing to talk about here.

Let's not play together again if it bugs you.

Soulflarz

Banned

I think Duckroll pointed it out because you use medals as a metric a lot though. It's not you defending yourself directly, but adding to a post about a loss "...but I had gold medals" is the equivalent of saying "we lost...but I obviously did my role, and I personally didn't deserve the loss", or at the least, wasn't at fault at all.

A better way to put it might be "medals mean nothing compared to the numbers next to them and what can be drawn from them".
For example a solo flanker getting 80 kills is ridiculous vs the lucio next to him going "but I had 60 and had 2nd most" since he pinged his opponents a lot.

Cuz it's fun stuff to mention. What else should I mention about his game when I play? Hm?

Should I also not mention other useless stuff like skins and stat numbers? Then we have nothing to talk about here.

Let's not play together again if it bugs you.

I don't care at all actually. Just something I noticed.

I got a legendary Zarya skin in my summer games loot box!! :D

It was her yucky Industrial goth skin. D:

I got 5 medals with Mei on Hanamura defense tonight - including three golds in eliminations (26), objective kills (12?) and objective time (2+ minutes). Just...you know, anecdotal evidence about these medals that aren't particularly important!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So how many people do flicking? Been trying to practice my flick shots more with mccree. Still mostly track with him though because I'm not too comfortable with flicking in a live game yet.

Soulflarz

Banned
So how many people do flicking? Been trying to practice my flick shots more with mccree.

How do I use a mouse :')

Honestly, it's borderline hilarious atm. I use mccree and go .75kd and then go reap and go 3.0

It's so hard to justify learning how to play shooters without ADS (I...never really did on PC, I was always console or PC shooters with ADS) so this is a new world for me minus the times I failed at CS

Back to easier aiming characters :p

Antiwhippy

How do I use a mouse :')

Honestly, it's borderline hilarious atm. I use mccree and go .75kd and then go reap and go 3.0

It's so hard to justify learning how to play shooters without ADS (I...never really did on PC, I was always console or PC shooters with ADS) so this is a new world for me minus the times I failed at CS

Back to easier aiming characters :p

Kinda something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysgMqzU3Qk

My mccree is garbage too, trust me. But I'm having fun learning him. He just feels like such a... pure shooter character. Even more so than soldier.

Sn4ke_911

Being the only healer as Ana is quite challenging but it's a lot of fun.

Soulflarz

Banned
Kinda something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysgMqzU3Qk

My mccree is garbage too, trust me. But I'm having fun learning him. He just feels like such a... pure shooter character. Even more so than soldier.

Thank youu

He really really does though :X I can't justify it because I haven't played CSGO or such. It's like learning a game on it's own- if I miss I'm dead.

(also why aren't we hating life in QP together in the joke ranks XD)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone hates Hollywood but I love the final push on defense as Torbjorn

it's the only place where I can truly master the Torbjorn flank.

Being the only healer as Ana is quite challenging but it's a lot of fun.

Ugh, seriously?

I feel like you're just as likely to find success blindly firing into a mosh at the objective as you are trying to be smart and tactical in that scenario.

I treat her like Zen. A powerful support character to have in addition to a full-time healer.

MartyStu

Ugh, seriously?

I feel like you're just as likely to find success blindly firing into a mosh at the objective as you are trying to be smart and tactical in that scenario.

I treat her like Zen. A powerful support character to have in addition to a full-time healer.

She can be played along with a Zen if you are both really good, but yeah...

Sn4ke_911

Ugh, seriously?

Well we won quite a bit of games with me as the only healer and no one was complaining.

Of course even if she is a sniper you can't just sit on the roof and shoot, you gotta be near to your team to use her other abilities like the sleep dart and most importantly for healing the biotic grenade.

Also her ult is godlike.

Antiwhippy

Thank youu

He really really does though :X I can't justify it because I haven't played CSGO or such. It's like learning a game on it's own- if I miss I'm dead.

(also why aren't we hating life in QP together in the joke ranks XD)

I mean if you want to suffer high pings with an Australian sure. :p Probably won't bring out my mccree though.

duckroll

Well we won quite a bit of games with me as the only healer and no one was complaining.

Of course even if she is a sniper you can't just sit on the roof and shoot, you gotta be near to your team to use her other abilities like the sleep dart and most importantly for healing the biotic grenade.

You can't sit on a roof cause you can't even get on a roof! Lol.

Sn4ke_911

You can't sit on a roof cause you can't even get on a roof! Lol.

You can on route 66 but you know what i mean.

Don't use sniper positions as Ana if you're the only healer is what i was trying to say.

You can on route 66 but you know what i mean.

Don't use sniper positions as Ana if you're the only healer is what i was trying to say.
I always find it really difficult to do anything but heal when I'm right behind the rest of my team because of how massive their hitboxes are.

or use the best hero mei to help her up.
Depending on the roof, you might need multiple Meis to get you up there.

Antiwhippy

I actually don't mind her solo on payload attacks because everyone is usually bunched together instead of being scattered like on defense and nano boost is better on the attack.

So I had my first real game with Zarya tonight, and y'all weren't pulling my leg, this hero is straight up a MONSTER I already had a plan in mind of how I was going to utilize her, and to be honest, I was prepared for frustration and tears, but good grief! I was just steam rolling the opposition with that freakin' particle beam of death of hers. I didn't get POTG (thought I was gunna) But I got the most up votes and was just on fire for the whole game. I think I died maybe twice, but fuck me if I didn't make 'em work for it first. Felt like I was playing with cheat codes!

Also her ult is godlike.

I'm not saying it's not doable, I'm just saying I wouldn't enjoy it much.

I actually don't mind her solo on payload attacks because everyone is usually bunched together instead of being scattered like on defense and nano boost is better on the attack.

Except for all the times you end up boosting the wrong person, like when I tried to coordinate a boost with Genji's ult to cap Volskaya B and accidentally boosted Reaper instead.

We lost, but none of us could breathe after that from laughing so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom