• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

yeah if nothing else competitive has made me not care about losing in quick play as much. i think i'll stick with that for the next few days and just play random heroes.

I feel like I can relax and just play whatever I feel like now that competitive is out. I don't ever want to play competitive so its great that quick play doesn't have the same pressure to do really well

I loathe it. I can't play a lot, and with losses being so much more impactful than wins I just keep slipping down the ranks so long as I keep playing until the first win of the day. There isn't a sense of progression, just deterioration. I've dropped from Rank 53 to 45, and recovering my previous rank just seems like a pipe dream now.

...I'm not really having fun with Overwatch anymore.

I think I'm just going to do the placement matches and see where I end up ranked, then just stick to Quick Play unless I'm in a group from GAF. That way I see how Blizzard ranks my ability, but I don't get frustrated with the game. I may play more seriously in the next season after some of the bugs get worked out.

finalflame

Can we take a moment to talk about Pachimari?

tumblr_o8hqpcr5dj1rqehsdo1_500.png

Zemm

Two hanzo's and a torb on attack, so much fun guys when there's only two of you actually pushing the payload/point. Seriously fuck the people that play this game. The game is actually fine, (most) people are trash.

abundant

This is a skilled based rank. Your not supose to se progression unless your skill improve.

If you keep falling in rank, it means your still playing against people above your level.

I started at 48, went up to 49, then fell down to 42. The sooner you realise your not as good as you thought, the better.

I stopped caring about the ranks now, and just play as well as i can, and try to improve every game. Im winning more games than im losing now, and having just as much fun regardless of the number next to my name. If i get back up again, great, if not i will improve and do better next season.

The problem with this (which I know they say they are fixing) is that the lower the rank you get, the chances of playing with or against rage quitters goes up. If you win when someone leaves the game, you barely go up in rank to the point that it's meaningless, but if you lose, you'll go down a rank.

RemiLP

The problem with this (which I know they say they are fixing) is that the lower the rank you get, the chances of playing with or against rage quitters goes up. If you win when someone leaves the game, you barely go up in rank to the point that it's meaningless, but if you lose, you'll go down a rank.

Yeah, thats true. I had 3 games yesterday where we had a guy leave. 1 match we even won with 1 guy down from tje first round. And even if you win with 1 guy down, you still get less xp :p

abundant

Reinhardt. I can play everyone pretty well in a good team but I can't do shit with him.

Same here. I'm not a bad Reinhardt, but when I see these aggressive Reinhardts that rack up the eliminations, I'm left wondering, how in the hell do they do that? It's the same thing with Winston.

What class do you wish you were better at but you really aren't great with them?

For me, it would be Reaper.

Pretty much every class that requires really good, and fast, mouse accuracy to be effective. So folks like Soldier: 76, Genji, and Tracer, I really need to practice my aim on. Widowmaker I'm decent at because I usually have a little time to line up shots, but with the Offense characters you usually need to be right in the thick of it and nailing headshots left and right, and I just don't have the twitch reflexes to manage that, I guess.

What class do you wish you were better at but you really aren't great with them?

Zennyata. I just die too quickly.

Symmetra. Once again, I overestimate myself and die too quickly.

Widowmaker / Hanzo. I've never been a good sniper, I'm too patient and not snap enough to pick people off.

Tracer / McCree / Genji.
Haven't played them at all.

LiK

Same here. I'm not a bad Reinhardt, but when I see these aggressive Reinhardts that rack up the eliminations, I'm left wondering, how in the hell do they do that? It's the same thing with Winston.

I can play Winston better but man, Reinhardt really boggles my mind. I was in a Comp game where a Reinhardt destroyed our team constantly. he was aggressive as fuck. I wonder if that's the magic.

maouvin

Tracer. And Mercy, I guess. She's currently my worst performance on support, but I'm not yet sure how much of that is my fault, my team's fault or the opposing team's merit.

abundant

Tracer. And Mercy, I guess. She's currently my worst performance on support, but I'm not yet sure how much of that is my fault, my team's fault or the opposing team's fault (as in, flankers that know their shit).

Mercy is a tough character to get good with, because like you said, it's not just about individual skill.

Lesath

Tracer. And Mercy, I guess. She's currently my worst performance on support, but I'm not yet sure how much of that is my fault, my team's fault or the opposing team's fault (as in, flankers that know their shit).

I feel playing Mercy on competitive leaves you solely at the mercy of chance, whether your teammates are good enough to stay in range and watch your back, as well as whether your enemies are good enough to make it their life mission to kill you. At least Lucio is a bit harder to hit, and can contribute to healing while doing (weak) damage and (decent) crowd control.

LiK

that night whew Mercy clicked for me was a revelation. not only did I get both trophies for her but I was surviving and healing like a mofo. even got POTG. it was a fun night.

Frostburn

Two hanzo's and a torb on attack, so much fun guys when there's only two of you actually pushing the payload/point. Seriously fuck the people that play this game. The game is actually fine, (most) people are trash.

There is truth to this, I know it is rage inducing. I understand people want to "Try out" heroes but certain combos are just terrible. You can't ask them to switch because they are just having fun and don't care about winning or loosing. I kind of want a mode like Quick Play for people that don't care about winning or loosing or decent team comps or counters at all. Let them all play together and screw around but the option of only Quick Play or Competitive isn't enough to fit the player base of this game. A team based online game to me is always something I'm trying to do well at, help the team, push for the win, etc. I understand not everyone is that way but I don't want to have to jump into the borked comp play just to have teammates that are actively trying to do well. Just my opinions of course I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Widowmaker. Hitting someone constantly moving in an unpredictable manner is tough as shit, even if its just a body shot(unless it's a tank, since they all got a big body, but good luck killing one at full health). I have to forget ever getting that achievement where you need to get a scoped headshot while airborn. Even if I do desperatly try to get that achievement one day, I'll probably spend the whole match doing this and not helping my team at all.

duckroll

Finished my placements, got 49. I think 6 wins 4 losses. Did one more ranked game to help my sis finish her last placement, but only with a group of 3 people. Got 3 randoms. One of them was a Reinhardt whose only strategy at Hanamura attacking Point B was to charge right into their point and raise his shield until he died. As Mercy that was really, really painful. I had to coordinate the flanking over voice chat, and it still didn't go well because the guy charging didn't give a shit. We lost. Sis got placed 50. I got dragged down to 48. FML.

There is truth to this, I know it is rage inducing. I understand people want to "Try out" heroes but certain combos are just terrible. You can't ask them to switch because they are just having fun and don't care about winning or loosing. I kind of want a mode like Quick Play for people that don't care about winning or loosing or decent team comps or counters at all. Let them all play together and screw around but the option of only Quick Play or Competitive isn't enough to fit the player base of this game. A team based online game to me is always something I'm trying to do well at, help the team, push for the win, etc. I understand not everyone is that way but I don't want to have to jump into the borked comp play just to have teammates that are actively trying to do well. Just my opinions of course I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I'd welcome a Mayhem type mode where your abilities charge a little faster and it doesn't count towards anything. Give people time to mess around and test out abilities quicker to help get a feel for the characters before they take them into more "serious" matches.

Frostburn

I'd welcome a Mayhem type mode where your abilities charge a little faster and it doesn't count towards anything. Give people time to mess around and test out abilities quicker to help get a feel for the characters before they take them into more "serious" matches.

That would be cool, I was a big fan of the original Brawl with random heroes. It helped balance things and allowed everyone to play classes they might not normally play, add some faster charge of abilities and that could be a TON of fun. Some mode needs to stick that allows people to try out and get decent with new classes without hurting the team.

"No Support Heroes"
"No Sniper"

*Still picks Hanzo*

I play with a core group of people and if we have a spot available for a solo queue without fail they ALWAYS pick a Hanzo or Widomaker. I tend to play Lucio or Mercy depending on the map but in the rare case I don't pick a main healer the random solo queue player will STILL pick a sniper.

Gator86

Honest question: why do people think Tjors and Bastions work in defence and sudden death? I've never seen it work outside of quick match.

I don't know about that. I've got close to a 100% win rate with Torb over dozens of games in comp in the mid to high ranked 60s.

I want the lowdown. This is Sombre right? C'mon Blizzard give me some details!

Weak ass sniper as alt fire, healing orb type thing that you shoot at teammates as primary fire? God the first week will be awful, only a very small number of people will be effective playing that kind of character. But everyone will be trying.

Hope there is more too it than that.

peakish

anyone enjoy Comp as it's designed now? I think it's rather bad.
I partly enjoy the longer games, especially the 2CP format is a big improvement (but still with bad maps). I've generally seen more teamplay than in QP too and with better comps. But I've been on a winning streak and managed to avoid most of what people complain a lot about in here, lucky me.

Still a ton they can do to improve and I hope they manage to sooner rather than later.

LiK

I partly enjoy the longer games, especially the 2CP format is a big improvement (but still with bad maps). I've generally seen more teamplay than in QP too and with better comps. But I've been on a winning streak and managed to avoid most of what people complain a lot about in here, lucky me.

Still a ton they can do to improve and I hope they manage to sooner rather than later.

i think it's a nightmare for bathroom breaks lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zenyatta to be rendered even more worthless by Sombra!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wonder how much LoS will be an issue for sniper healer. It makes me want to curl into a ball and cry on Mercy when people call for heals, then hide where I can't Guardian Angel to them. T_T

Frostburn

Honest question: why do people think Tjors and Bastions work in defence and sudden death? I've never seen it work outside of quick match.

I don't know about that. I've got close to a 100% win rate with Torb over dozens of games in comp in the mid to high ranked 60s.

Depends on the player and the situation. If the team can support the Torb and Bastion they can do some serious damage but it also depends on the pace of the game, if the defense is constantly on the back pedal then there is no time to setup a defense that will work for Torb and Bastion, especially on Payload push defense... depending on how the attacking team plays there is no chance to setup and buff Torb's turret. If the attackers are slow or get shut down and you have time to setup though a smart Torb can really hamper their progress once they regroup plus the armor packs for the team are amazing to give the defenders some sticking power in team fights.

I would say Genji, because I suck with him, but Tracer is probably my best character, so I don't feel that I'm lacking in flanker picks.

Maybe Widowmaker? I'm pretty solid with Hanzo because I play him super aggressively, but there are times where you just need an actual sniper's sniper. She's hard to be good with on console.

I had a good game with her yesterday where I switched as a counter-pick to their Hanzo/Widow defending the last point on Hanamura. Me and their Widow got into a close range duel when I hooked to her perch. We did a little auto-rifle shooting but we both were those annoying jumpers, so I switched to snipe and popped her, luckily. I then jumped down to the point and helped our Winston capture and sniped when they were leaving spawn while sitting on the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom