• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

How would you prove that without insight into their algorithm. I'm not claiming they're not doing it since we don't have that information, I'm saying it's rather unlikely as there's no precedent among team-based competitive games of the past decade or so to handle ranking that way, with good reason. It should be obvious to Blizzard's seasoned game designers that individual performance is all but immeasurable in an objective-based team FPS with widely differing roles.

Since you're a Mercy player you could collect proper ranking data from your games, including whether or not there were leavers on either team so we can rule out that factor.

Edit:
Well there we have it
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png

Ranked confirmed mess
I understand that we don't have access to the algorithm; I was wondering if Blizzard had commented specifically on this since most of the information on how the system works seems to be total guesswork.

I will do just that from the next time I play and we'll maybe be able to gleam something from it.

What were the team averages of the teams you've won/lost against vs your team?
Overall I don't know, but in there today is a game where I was solo matched against a group of 6 in which we were the underdog and lost an entire level's rank.

I don't get a lot of leavers on either side, to be honest. Maybe one in ten games.

taoofjord

So is anyone of reasonable skill able to get higher than rank 50ish in comp when playing with randoms? I continue to basically have a 50% win ratio but it seems harder to push higher when you don't have a consistent group of people to play with.

PatjuhR

So is anyone of reasonable skill able to get higher than rank 50ish in comp when playing with randoms? I continue to basically have a 50% win ratio but it seems harder to push higher when you don't have a consistent group of people to play with.

I'm about to find out. Won all my games yesterday and I'm rank 51 now. I guess it would be possible to go higher. I still haven't ran into much opponents that I thought were to good for my skill level and I reckon my teammates will also get better as I rank up higher.

taoofjord

I'm about to find out. Won all my games yesterday and I'm rank 51 now. I guess it would be possible to go higher. I still haven't ran into much opponents that I thought were to good for my skill level and I reckon my teammates will also get better as I rank up higher.

Kinda not what I wanted to hear ;) Best of luck in comp though!

Now I go back to trying super hard to get better.

PatjuhR

Kinda not what I wanted to hear ;) Best of luck in comp though!

Now I go back to trying super hard to get better.

Well I can also comfort you. I don't believe I'm a good player. But I'm not bad either and I always play the objective. Guess you just have to be lucky with the groups you get.

Fugu

I'm above 50 with only solo queue.

It is my theory that moving up is only possible if you play as the characters for whom Blizzard's wacky system is working as intented and do so consistently well. I think this means picking Lucio every game.

Quite a few in this thread have. I've been soloing since the start and I've gone from 52-59 and I'm sitting around 50 wins atm. I haven't had a huge problem. Sure, I get blowouts some games, but hey you win some you lose some. I currently have a 55% w/l and I'm finding it easier the higher I get.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the problem is when you're on a losing streak you tilt yourself and your performance goes down. so hanging on through losing 'just until you win' is actually pushing your chance of winning down.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there like a bug where it stop counting what you do? Because I just had a match where it stopped counting elims but it would still show on screen that I eliminated the person, but give me zero fire points, which fucking sucks because that means I couldn't build my ult. Then those elims don't get counted on the stat page.

Zemm

People don't even wait to see if the person that left in ranked was just DC'ed, they could come back almost instantly but people are gone. The timer should be atleast 2 minutes instead of 1.

RemiLP

Quite a few in this thread have. I've been soloing since the start and I've gone from 52-59 and I'm sitting around 50 wins atm. I haven't had a huge problem. Sure, I get blowouts some games, but hey you win some you lose some. I currently have a 55% w/l and I'm finding it easier the higher I get.

In the high 50s, so you get matched together with pre made teams alot?

R0ckman

Hmm when are the new characters coming out? With monster hunter out next week I'm less likely to be playing this especially in its current state with comp.

Zemm

Someone was talking about how he solo queue'd to 60.

People that jump a lot of ranks when solo queuing are very fortunate/lucky since they have to get good teammates game after game, and no leavers, you can't carry a bad team comp at >50 rank (probably even at 40 rank). Eventually both will fall on the other-side and they'll have a day where they just lose ranks. You see it on every single stream on Twitch, the game can be very streaky, even Seagull isn't immune.

In the high 50s, so you get matched together with pre made teams alot?

Depends, most of my games are duo people paired with solos or it'll be like a four man with two solos. Occasionally it will be everyone solo, but for the most part it's 2/3/4 with some solos. I never ran into a full six man team before.

PatjuhR

How can you actually know with what kind of groups you play? Like 5 + you?

Or 3 x2? And can you also see on the enemy team?

Cerity

Is multiple D.vas the new thing of the week on PS4 or something?

With competitive out and if you're playing QP? yeah. Probably ran about 6 matches today where there was at least 4 D.Va's with a Lucio. Luckily they were never too co-ordinated.

Zemm

How can you actually know with what kind of groups you play? Like 5 + you?

Or 3 x2? And can you also see on the enemy team?

The colours next to the names shows who is in a group and with who. I had to add those lines manually because I couldn't find a screenshot online but that's what it'll look like.

YZsReoN.png

ramyeon

With competitive out and if you're playing QP? yeah. Probably ran about 6 matches today where there was at least 4 D.Va's with a Lucio. Luckily they were never too co-ordinated.
Yep QP. They're annoying as hell, once my team got their shit together we steam rolled them though. Hero stacking is rampant in QP now. Get people that deliberately change to whatever hero I choose.

RemiLP

People that jump a lot of ranks when solo queuing are very fortunate/lucky since they have to get good teammates game after game, and no leavers, you can't carry a bad team comp at >50 rank (probably even at 40 rank). Eventually both will fall on the other-side and they'll have a day where they just lose ranks. You see it on every single stream on Twitch, the game can be very streaky, even Seagull isn't immune.

But the exact same applies for the team your fighting? Its just as likely that they have a bad team comp.

The only 'constant' variable is you. If you always play better than people your rank, you will move up in rank. Right?

Rixxan

Someone was talking about how he solo queue'd to 60.

I solo queue'd to 66, and had to fight tooth and nail last night to stay there

was always finding myself on the defending side of the sudden death coin toss

happened three times, shits so hard to win as the defending side (we didn't win once)

i'm sure there is some luck involved in solo queueing to high ranks, but most of the people in my games are also solo queueing (based on how the matchmaking is working i guess) - so its definitely possible

edit: i say the above, but with my luck ill go home tonight and lose 10 straight and drop back into the 50's

PatjuhR

But the exact same applies for the team your fighting? Its just as likely that they have a bad team comp.

The only 'constant' variable is you. If you always play better than people your rank, you will move up in rank. Right?

With your logic, yes.

But if you are unlucky and you are always in a bad composed team and the opponents always fit together nicely. You won't

LiK

why do so many people choose Zenyatta in Comp? saw too many during my placement matches. they weren't that good.

why do so many people choose Zenyatta in Comp? saw too many during my placement matches. they weren't that good.

trying to make low tier a thing but let's be real. he would do great if several people were in front of him or at least protecting.

Antiwhippy

Argh I fucking hate rein's who are so timid of moving forward.

Your job isn't to hold the shield and stand still at the chokepoint. Move us to a better position!

Is there like a bug where it stop counting what you do? Because I just had a match where it stopped counting elims but it would still show on screen that I eliminated the person, but give me zero fire points, which fucking sucks because that means I couldn't build my ult. Then those elims don't get counted on the stat page.
I didn't see a response to this. What console? I played on my friends Xbone and it happened a few times. The entire second round of KOTH no stats were being awarded even though players would still die like normal. At the end of the game all of the cards only showed stats from round one. It happened twice in like 20 games. And if it's happening to you, I think it's happening to everyone in the game. Hasn't happened to me on Ps4 yet.

PatjuhR

That's actually one of the things I have to pay attention to when playing as Reinhardt.

It's just that when I do walk forwards with my shield up I get hammered down by the enemy team waiting for me and it doesn't really work either.

Want to remind people that when you play with a Reinhardt on your team, that you stand behind his shield and kill torrets and enemies so you can progress as a team.

Interfectum

Argh I fucking hate rein's who are so timid of moving forward.

Your job isn't to hold the shield and stand still at the chokepoint. Move us to a better position!

That's assuming any of the damage dealers bother to follow reinhardt and don't just let him get his shield melted and die.

R0ckman

With your logic, yes.

But if you are unlucky and you are always in a bad composed team and the opponents always fit together nicely. You won't

Sometimes its not about who has the best team comp but who has the worse group.

Was on a team that had two offensive Widows, told one of them to switch as nicely as I could. Got ignored, we still won because the other team was much worse. Of course I had to go Lucio.

That's assuming any of the damage dealers bother to follow reinhardt and don't just let him get his shield melted and die.

they all want to flank from the side so rein is there wasting his shield lol. you think they would be good enough to take out some people if they plan to do that.

Antiwhippy

I didn't see a response to this. What console? I played on my friends Xbone and it happened a few times. The entire second round of KOTH no stats were being awarded even though players would still die like normal. At the end of the game all of the cards only showed stats from round one. It happened twice in like 20 games. And if it's happening to you, I think it's happening to everyone in the game. Hasn't happened to me on Ps4 yet.

Yeah that happened to me on PC.

If everyone is flanking on hanamura A they have a super wacky team composition.

Zemm

If anything that's just another variable that needs to go your way. You can't influence how good or bad the other team is, and carrying in this game is almost impossible, even Surefour (who is probably the best carrier) struggles to do so. So now you have these variables:

Is my team good?
Do we have a good team comp?
Is their team good?
Do they have a good team comp?
Will people leave?
If both teams are even, will I win the coin flip on sudden death?

Over a long period of time you will move up or down to the rank you should be (if the system isn't flawed, and I think it is right now, but that's another story), but going up or down a large amount of ranks in a short period of time comes down to those variables being fortunate/unfortunate towards you, and there's nothing you can do to influence them, apart from suggesting a good team comp.

This is all for solo queuing ofcourse, when group queuing you can influence most of those variables to your favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom