• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Sometimes people just have no interest in playing as a team. We had a random on attack Numbani today who was playing an Ana. I was playing Winston and our only tank. So after a while when it was clear we couldn't break through because we weren't getting enough heals, and I asked for Ana to switch out. He switched to..... Tracer. We already had a Tracer on the team. I pointed out that we needed more heals, not another Tracer, and he was like "So you switch." Okay... :(

you should go Mercy or Zen anyway and not heal that fool for the whole game. done.

He doesn't need to see you. Discord isn't just a debuff, it's also a target marker for the entire team.

The more I play Zenyatta the more I just throw discords on any enemy I see. Sometimes I'll throw out a discord and just watch the rest of my team chase that person down and murder them, I don't even have to do any attacking.

It's like a deadly game of fetch, especially with a good team that's aware of who I'm aiming at.

I love hunting Zens down especially when I take him out with a tire.

Once I popped my ult right as Junkrat detonated his tire - I went flying and it was kind of hilarious.

Still managed to hold the point though. :D

brian!

Lucio speedups + everyone running through w/ reinhardt is my barometer, holy shit there is nothing we can do against this

xaosslug

it's amazing how a well-protected (ie. stay grouped/clustered) Symm (even after the nerf on console) or Zen or Zarya can can completely command a game. @__@

it's amazing how a well-protected (ie. stay grouped/clustered) Symm (even after the nerf on console) or Zen or Zarya can can completely command a game. @__@

Ugh, had a match playing Zarya where the other team's Symmetra was all over me. Jumping and strafing all around me, and basically reminding me of the days when I used to main Sym and do the exact same thing. A slippery Symmetra can be such an unexpected threat.

duckroll

I dunno about well protected Symms. My experience is that Symms need to know how to protect themselves. It's a bit different from Zenyatta, because she doesn't hang behind other players to support them. Ideally you want to set up your own areas to protect, and watch out for yourself. Don't let enemies see you before they run into a sentry or three, and then NINJA them from behind or the side, and kill them before they can turn properly to get good hits on you. A Symm jumping into the chaos at a control point and targeting the right enemies in the right order can turn a defense around. Build the charge with a tank, once the tank goes down, the rest of the team will generally not expect that you can wipe the rest of them in a second each.

Symm on Volskaya and Hanamura = <3 <3 <3 <3

It's all about that

OFEg9.gif

I don't play Zen unless there's a Reinhardt on the team, or I'm playing a double capture map and I know the spots where I can safely set up and hide and make it hard for people to murder me. Because I know once my discords start going up I'm going to have a Tracer/Genji/Reaper up my ass the entire rest of the game so I better have protection.

Jellie

So been winning every solo queue game pretty much but as soon as I group up run into rank 75+ genjis with a team of 50s. One game had a 70 with 3 50s+ in a group topped off with two random 77s. Plus one game we had a d/c so lost loads cos the average was 63 vs 67. Might just stick to solo queuing at this point. At least I got the discord trophy legit just now I guess.

are Winstons so hated that people won't use him even when there are two genjis, a reinhardt, and an Ana on the enemy team? This is why i don't like playing support sometimes, if i switch no one will switch to support and of course we lose.

Seriously. I love playing Winston personally but I'm certainly finding myself looking at our team composition way too often and wondering why no one is picking him. So I always end up picking him and start taking out all the support characters, tracers, genjis, hanzos, soldier 76s. I disrupt and pull focus, break up any grouping that forms up and hope my team plays the role of whatever character they've chosen.

Seriously. I love playing Winston personally but I'm certainly finding myself looking at our team composition way too often and wondering why no one is picking him. So I always end up picking him and start taking out all the support characters, tracers, genjis, hanzos, soldier 76s. I disrupt and pull focus, break up any grouping that forms up and hope my team plays the role of whatever character they've chosen.
It's mainly due to Zen being played 99% of the time now. Drop a discord on Winston and the team destroys him instantly.

Loving Tracer in this new 65-70 meta.

Junkrat is gone.
Genji can't kill her.
Zen might get a lucky discord + headshot occasionally. But usually you beat him.
Always been great against Lucio.
Get behind Reinhardt and he freaks the hell out and has to turn around or die.
Reaper and her are pretty evenly matched but chasing down a weak wraith form Reaper as Tracer is great.
Not exactly a counter to Zarya, but effective against her.
Bait one flash bang and McCree gets melted.

Maybe it was just a some good matches but I was playing doing great with her today. And the 'better' the enemy team comp the more effective I felt. Those guys just can't deal with her at all.
Add to this:

You are shooting discorded enemies all the time. Excellent combo for Tracer.

It's mainly due to Zen being played 99% of the time now. Drop a discord on Winston and the team destroys him instantly.

Certainly doesn't stop me enough to not consider him an important aspect. If I'm jumping in by myself and everyone is able to focus on me then I'm doing it wrong. Overall, above saying it's important to have whatever character on a team I think it's most important that everyone has a team mentality, enjoys the character they're playing, has spatial awareness, can play more than a few characters ok, and is able to adjust to the other team composition and playstyle.

But I get it that in random games..... You've hit the jackpot finding any of those things in tandem. I just try to fill out the weaknesses in my team and quite often, I feel Winston not only does that but simultaneously is a good counter to a number of very common picks on the opposing team.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just had an amazing comp. game where my team had to defend on Hanamura 3 consecutive times in a row, twice due to coinflip, we pull it off and win. Had 54 kills, 27k both gold, bar barely budges. lol

R0ckman

Certainly doesn't stop me enough to not consider him an important aspect. If I'm jumping in by myself and everyone is able to focus on me then I'm doing it wrong. Overall, above saying it's important to have whatever character on a team I think it's most important that everyone has a team mentality, enjoys the character they're playing, has spatial awareness, can play more than a few characters ok, and is able to adjust to the other team compression and playstyle.

But I get it that in random games..... You've hit the jackpot finding any of those things in tandem. I just try to fill out the weaknesses in my team and quite often, I feel Winston not only does that but simultaneously is a good counter to a number of very common picks on the opposing team.

Their team needs to be 100% communicating for discord Winston melts and your team has to be glue eating levels of terrible. 2-3 seconds of a team melting Winston, your own team could easily kill two of their characters. Especially if Winston is behind them where the have to turn around to attack him.

Veelk

Banned
Wow, I decided to take my aim assist down to zero and I had much better luck against the practice robots as widowmaker. I decided to try a random QP game and I got 42% elimination.

I don't want to get overly hopeful, but maybe this will make widowmaker semi viable to play for me. Like, I still feel that she needs to get her kit SEVERELY updated, but this is working so far :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was stuck playing support last night, and man, is it just not fun when there's a good Genji on the other team. He was on my balls all match and it felt like I died to the sword 5-6 times. We even had a Winston on our team, but Genji was just running wild all match.

I was hitting a problem before where if I soloq'd or only played with one other friend I would be stuck as support constantly and it nearly broke me. Lucio is great and I feel confident in the way I play him but I also feel like I have little influence on the actual outcome sometimes. It's up to the DPS to actually get most of the kills, tanks to coordinate and block damage or get picks based on who they are, etc. and I'm mostly just trying to survive and pepper in damage...but people keep spreading out and getting killed off or not focusing the right targets. I had a koth match where the enemy zen would always discord me and a Winston would dive in and target me first, every time. We also had a Winston and a Genji but the zen was never getting pressured. There's only so much you can do with the ingame callouts like trying to group up so people don't keep doing a conga line into a grinder.

I like playing him if I'm with atleast 2 other people but otherwise I'm trying to pick a tank pretty quickly now.

I love this game but I'm probably going to have to give up on it because I literally can't play for more than ten minutes now without it crashing. I'm very, very disappointed.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
OMFG.

My second time ever playing in a real match with Genji. Kings Row attack. Oh man. When Genji works. He WORKS! I definitely think I suck at him, but winning the match gives me so much more confidence to pick the character in future if it seems like we need it. My deflect timing needs a ton of work, but the feeling when you rush at a bunch of defending enemies, remember to hit deflect as you run right at them, then finish with a slash attack that kills 2-3 people and then just keep going. OMG. Getting the ult in a pinch and then getting a sound barrier right at the point on Overtime, killing people as they rush to the payload, then running up the wall to slash the Widowmaker on the side roof, watching the payload slide in the end and VICTORY pop up.

It's like a whole other game. Lol.
Genji is literally like playing a different game. A really fun one. Don't tell anyone though.

You're on PC?
Yeah. It's some kind of graphics driver problem. I'll be in the middle of a game and the game will freeze because my graphics cards just disconnect or something. I have an SLI system. I'm never, ever using SLI again. It has never worked properly.

Prelude.

I guess it's a good thing pro players are breaking the game with Genji, that's how McCree got nerfbuffed into a more balanced state.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I guess it's a good thing pro players are breaking the game with Genji, that's how McCree got nerfbuffed into a more balanced state.
Thing is Genji is EASILY put into check, but you have to put in constant effort throughout the match and switch the team comp around to do so. Also, it's hard if the Genji is good. While McCree was literally unstoppable in all his OP incarnations.

Also Shadder makes me wet. He's what inspired me to main Genji. One day I'll be about 1/5th a Shadder and crush life.

Fuck me, people are dense. When I'm playing as Ana, and repeatedly saying my Ultimate is ready, there's a reason for it. Let me know if your Ultimate is ready, and I'll know to use Nanoboost on you.

That said, I've only been playing on Quick Play with Ana. Maybe people on competitive are smarter about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom