• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude.

Thing is Genji is EASILY put into check, but you have to put in constant effort throughout the match and switch the team comp around to do so. Also, it's hard if the Genji is good. While McCree was literally unstoppable in all his OP incarnations.
Before the last changes McCree was powerful only if you could aim. Now he has a weaker LMB and a usable RMB so it's a buff for average players and a nerf for the human aimbots.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mmmm, as much as i love the zen man, discord is really pushing the game into a more rote and one note strategy and pushing way too many characters out of the meta.

I'm glad he got his shine on but, i think it's time for blizzard to look into him.

Nudull

Banned
Fuck me, people are dense. When I'm playing as Ana, and repeatedly saying my Ultimate is ready, there's a reason for it. Let me know if your Ultimate is ready, and I'll know to use Nanoboost on you.

That said, I've only been playing on Quick Play with Ana. Maybe people on competitive are smarter about that.

And when you actually boost someone with an ult, they get themselves killed anyway. :/

And when you actually boost someone with an ult, they get themselves killed anyway. :/

That's why I always prioritise boosting tanks. between their higher health pool, and me focusing on keeping them healed, they often stay alive. Roadhog is probably my favourite character to boost.

Blues1990

Mmmm, as much as i love the zen man, discord is really pushing the game into a more rote and one note strategy and pushing way too many characters out of the meta.

I'm glad he got his shine on but, i think it's time for blizzard to look into him.

When they do re-review Zenyatta, I hope he will still be viable. I love melting tanks away with my discord orb, as it feels satisfying.

Prelude.

That's why I always prioritise boosting tanks. between their higher health pool, and me focusing on keeping them healed, they often stay alive. Roadhog is probably my favourite character to boost.
When I play Roadhog I always get the dumbest boosts ever and end up not being able to do almost anything with them. I'd say he's probably one of the least effective targets unless the team comp is complete garbage. He's slow, he has to reload extremely frequently, he can already one-shot a lot of characters, he has only one hook use during the boost to get one of the enemies that are running away from him, and he's self-sustaining. He can't really do a lot in 8 seconds and he's probably gonna waste at least 3, if not more if you catch him mid-heal, not shooting.

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone here post on the official Overwatch forums?

I'm trying to make an account there so I could maybe get some of my bitching helpful suggestions directly to blizzard, but I just spent an hour with tech support. I've connected my PSN to my battlenet, and yet somehow it still isn't allowing me to post.

If anyone does post on there, how receptive are the developers to suggestions, do you think?

LiK

I'm trying to make an account there so I could maybe get some of my bitching helpful suggestions directly to blizzard, but I just spent an hour with tech support. I've connected my PSN to my battlenet, and yet somehow it still isn't allowing me to post.

If anyone does post on there, how receptive are the developers to suggestions, do you think?

console players are not considered worthy enough to post on their stupid forums. you need to have PC account connected. not sure if this was intentional or not.

finalflame

The B.net forums are an absolute shithole, I don't think I've ever seen a worse community. I'm surprised Blizzard reads/respond to it at all.

With that said, every once in a while Jeff jumps in and replies to something, but when that happens, it ends up posted in this thread and on /r/Overwatch anyways. You're probably better off staying away from it.

Veelk

Banned
console players are not considered worthy enough to post on their stupid forums. you need to have PC account connected. not sure if this was intentional or not.

I mean, I just spent an hour talking to tech support...wouldn't he know that and tell me?

The B.net forums are an absolute shithole, I don't think I've ever seen a worse community. I'm surprised Blizzard reads/respond to it at all.

With that said, every once in a while Jeff jumps in and replies to something, but when that happens, it ends up posted in this thread and on /r/Overwatch anyways. You're probably better off staying away from it.

I really just want to put it my two cents in a place developers might see it. I doubt that will mean they listen to it, but might as well try.

I mainly want to do it because there doesn't seem to be anyone but me who wants a Widow buff. I see talk around a Winston buff, bringing back Torbs old damage, etc, but no one seems to care that Widow is the most abjectly useless hero in OW unless you are a human aimbot. I want Widow to be viable.

LiK

I mean, I just spent an hour talking to tech support...wouldn't he know that and tell me?

he wouldn't. other people said CSR said they should be able to but apparently it's not possible at all from some comments on Reddit. Blizzard actually reads most of the console suggestions on Reddit, lol

Jellie

If I was to post footage of the last game I played would anybody be willing to critique it so I could know what to improve on?

Veelk

Banned
he wouldn't. other people said CSR said they should' be able to but apparently, it's not possible at all from some comments on Reddit. Blizzard actually reads most of the console suggestions on Reddit, lol

Well....time to make a reddit account then, I guess.

When I play Roadhog I always get the dumbest boosts ever and end up not being able to do almost anything with them. I'd say he's probably one of the least effective targets unless the team comp is complete garbage. He's slow, he has to reload extremely frequently, he can already one-shot a lot of characters, he has only one hook use during the boost to get one of the enemies that are running away from him, and he's self-sustaining. He can't really do a lot in 8 seconds and he's probably gonna waste at least 3, if not more if you catch him mid-heal, not shooting.

I was just saying that I like to use nanoboost on characters when they're ready to use their ultimate. A boosted Roadhog Ultimate deals great damage, and he has a good chance of surviging if he runs into the thick of it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I actually don't like being boosted as roadhog. Hook already is leading into a kill, if you're at a distance and alt fire you're doing pretty unreliable damage and his reload eats damn near the entire thing, and his heal obviously isn't what you want to be doing. He's best for just running and trying to point blank spot people but that's way more effective with Reinhardt. Though if you mean with ult then, yeah, that'd change and Roadhog is a solid target with it.

I also find it hilarious when I get boosted as Dva right when I am about to ult because it totally wastes it, lol.

Blues1990

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. When I hook and blast heroes (specifically the ones that have 200 HP) away with Roadhog's shotgun, it's usually a one-hit KO. But whenever I do it to Reaper, he still survives and tears me apart.

How does that work?!

Prelude.

I was just saying that I like to use nanoboost on characters when they're ready to use their ultimate. A boosted Roadhog Ultimate deals great damage, and he has a good chance of surviging if he runs into the thick of it.
If they're gonna use their ults, then yes, but I usually can't make it work on either side if I wanna boost or to get boosted.

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. When I hook and blast heroes (specifically the ones that have 200 HP) away with Roadhog's shotgun, it's usually a one-hit KO. But whenever I do it to Reaper, he still survives and tears me apart.

How does that work?!
He has 250hp.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. When I hook and blast heroes (specifically the ones that have 200 HP) away with his shotgun, it's usually a one-hit KO. But whenever I do it to Reaper, he still survives and tears me apart.

How does that work?!

He has 250 hp and it's mostly just varying based on how many of the bullets hit, and also how many are headshots. He can one shot reaper but you might be missing because of firing too late or him not getting the full blast of the shotgun.

Antiwhippy

How does that work?!

Because he's 250hp.

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. When I hook and blast heroes (specifically the ones that have 200 HP) away with his shotgun, it's usually a one-hit KO. But whenever I do it to Reaper, he still survives and tears me apart.

How does that work?!
Well he has 250 health, not 200. Can't one shot Mei either. The only way to do it is walk a little closer after the hook so you can land more head shots, then do the usual shoot and Melee combo, but you have to hope they don't use their escape abilities. You can also alt fire before you hook so that they have less health, allowing the one shot to be easier. Or main fire, depending on the distance of course.

Prelude.

If I was to post footage of the last game I played would anybody be willing to critique it so I could know what to improve on?
I'm not affiliated with him in any way so I don't know if the footage's gonna go through, but there's this guy called Dabacabb that makes gameplay analysis on viewers submitted footage so you can try that too. (Video example)

Blues1990

He has 250hp.

He has 250 hp and it's mostly just varying based on how many of the bullets hit, and also how many are headshots. He can one shot reaper but you might be missing because of firing too late or him not getting the full blast of the shotgun.

Because he's 250hp.

Well he has 250 health, not 200. Can't one shot Mei either. The only way to do it is walk a little closer after the hook so you can land more head shots, then do the usual shoot and Melee combo, but you have to hope they don't use their escape abilities. You can also alt fire before you hook so that they have less health, allowing the one shot to be easier. Or main fire, depending on the distance of course.

Oh, okay. That would make a lot more sense, as I thought Reaper had 200 HP. Also, you guys brought up a good point, as I usually aim for body shots with Hog's shotgun, and never for the head. I'll do that the next time I have to face off against Reaper.

Jellie

I'm not affiliated with him in any way so I don't know if the footage's gonna go through, but there's this guy called Dabacabb that makes gameplay analysis on viewers submitted footage so you can try that too. (Video example)

Hmm it's good analysis but not sure if I'd want my clip seen by lots of people. Rather stick with people from gaf tbh. Plus no guarantee the guy would upload his analysis too.

Blu(e)

Fuck me, people are dense. When I'm playing as Ana, and repeatedly saying my Ultimate is ready, there's a reason for it. Let me know if your Ultimate is ready, and I'll know to use Nanoboost on you.

That said, I've only been playing on Quick Play with Ana. Maybe people on competitive are smarter about that.

You can also use the scoreboard and see who on your team has their ultimate ready or not if that's your end goal. It's also totally fine to use nano boost without their ultimate since you charge it so easily.

Otherwise you can kind of feel out people's ultimate if you played their character and notice their ultimate gain rate. That's more a of a game sense then something that's more tangible as a ultimate icon ready.

Blues1990

down to 48, y'all. #TheStruggle

It's a hell of a struggle to keep your rank, even when you do everything right and have good coordination skills with your teammates. It's why I'm cutting my losses and just going to play & have fun in Competitive Mode with anyone that wants to play with me. Yeah, getting a gold weapon sounds cool, but it's not the end of the world if I don't do well or get enough to unlock it.

LiK

Fucking hate losing in Sudden Death. This time as Attacking. I dunno why all our dudes just died like that.

I have 4 people chasing me while I'm Zen on Route 66, they kill me, on kill cam I see my team's D.va and Reaper on the roof of the building trying to shoot them from there.

Just...why? These people have multiple stars under their usernames. I mean they have to know that shotguns don't work from that far away, right? I'm by no means a good player, but jeez that's below even me.

xaosslug

It's a hell of a struggle to keep your rank, even when you do everything right and have good coordination skills with your teammates. It's why I'm cutting my losses and just going to play & have fun in Competitive Mode with anyone that wants to play with me. Yeah, getting a gold weapon sounds cool, but it's not the end of the world if I don't do well or get enough to unlock it.

yes, yes let us hold each other in resignation to our suffering. ;''')

I have 4 people chasing me while I'm Zen on Route 66, they kill me, on kill cam I see my team's D.va and Reaper on the roof of the building trying to shoot them from there.

Just...why? These people have multiple stars under their usernames. I mean they have to know that shotguns don't work from that far away, right? I'm by no means a good player, but jeez that's below even me.

there's a HUGE fear of dying in this game, I've found. Peeps won't get on the payload because of it, or jump into the mix. It's pretty crazy. I think that's why so many peeps play sniper type characters - an excuse to not join the fray. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apathy

I have no idea how people can be so utterly bad, specially at someone like mercy.

First game of the day, doing qp just to warm up. 3 morons teaming up and the healer rather heal them than the tank, yeah, not the person eating the damage and pushing the payload, no heal the morons you came with that pick hanzo and pharahin this meta when the other team has a 76 a mccree and a bastion. That pharah was dead the second they went up into the air so it decided to just not do that for the entirety. Yeah, heal that person not the one actually trying to win you the game.

Also qp needs to go to stacking or give us an alternative to qp with no stacking. I want stacking to die to no end.

yes, yes let us hold each other in resignation to our suffering. ;''')

there's a HUGE fear of dying in this game, I've found. Peeps won't get on the payload because of it, or jump into the mix. It's pretty crazy. I think that's why so many peeps play sniper type characters - an excuse to not join the fray. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big time, worst is when you get a tank that does not want to die

Armchair balancing aside, what do you all think could help Pharah get back in the mix, without totally neutering the heroes that shut her down? She's the main character I enjoy playing, but it's so hard to make an impact now. On a positive note, I'm starting to put time into Tracer, Reaper, and Winston.

R0ckman

I have no idea how people can be so utterly bad, specially at someone like mercy.

First game of the day, doing qp just to warm up. 3 morons teaming up and the healer rather heal them than the tank, yeah, not the person eating the damage and pushing the payload, no heal the morons you came with that pick hanzo and pharahin this meta when the other team has a 76 a mccree and a bastion. That pharah was dead the second they went up into the air so it decided to just not do that for the entirety. Yeah, heal that person not the one actually trying to win you the game.

Also qp needs to go to stacking or give us an alternative to qp with no stacking. I want stacking to die to no end.

Big time, worst is when you get a tank that does not want to die

Duuuude, those kinds of roadhogs are the ONLY ones I can ever get.

Why do people play QP and then complain endlessly about the rules of QP? Even if you are rank 30, if you stop caring about your rank it would just become a non stacking QP with slightly more focused teams. Which is what all of you want.

Antiwhippy

No, the worst is a tank that is too eager to die.

Like last night, I was playing lucio and have to back out off this reinhardt constantly because he would just keep charging into the enemy group by himself. Even when I told him to stop.

I'll take a reinhardt that values his life pls. Too many suicide reins at the mid forties.

Prelude.

Why do people play QP and then complain endlessly about the rules of QP? Even if you are rank 30, if you stop caring about your rank it would just become a non stacking QP with slightly more focused teams. Which is what all of you want.
Probably because some people want to play a more relaxed mode, where you can have a, well, quick game instead of potentially being locked in for 30 minutes, and still be able to play properly instead of getting slammed by broken comps. Even Jeff Kaplan said that when stacking happens it can be countered but it sure isn't fun to play against.

Probably because some people want to play a more relaxed mode, where you can have a, well, quick game instead of potentially being locked in for 30 minutes, and still be able to play properly instead of getting slammed by broken comps. Even Jeff Kaplan said that when stacking happens it can be countered but it sure isn't fun to play against.
People don't seem very relaxed...

The time constraints is a good point.

Armchair balancing aside, what do you all think could help Pharah get back in the mix, without totally neutering the heroes that shut her down? She's the main character I enjoy playing, but it's so hard to make an impact now. On a positive note, I'm starting to put time into Tracer, Reaper, and Winston.

It's not like she wasn't getting used when Soldier was still good and McCree was trash. She's just too damn slow in the air. Maybe if she had a horizontal boost on right click do she could weave a bit.

Antiwhippy

Zen + lucio not instapicked as healers basically. It fucks up her synergy with mercy and discord means that she can't fly in the air.

Mccree can still shut her down but with him not being a mobile sniper anymore she has more freedom in the air so I don't think he's the reason.

Tabby

Nothing I hate more than players who insist on going Hanzo or Widowmaker then refuse to change even though we keep losing, in competitive.

Soulflarz

Banned
The fact that zencio (cause I've typed Zen+lucio 100x) is required makes certain things viable and less viable regardless of if they were viable earlier. It's bad.

Apathy

well like i said, it's to warm up. I'm not going to go into a match that matters cold. The problem isn't with the people that care about qp but rather the idots that clearly don't. Even in a "fun" match, winning is always more important than losing. why would i do anything in life if there wasn't the chance to win and actually try to win?

It's not like she wasn't getting used when Soldier was still good and McCree was trash. She's just too damn slow in the air. Maybe if she had a horizontal boost on right click do she could weave a bit.

Soldier was never as good as buffed mccree though. Thats why shes not back, and not coming back into the meta until zen leaves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom